• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The thing about Snake is...I actually don't have trouble killing him the "conventional" way.

He's so easy to hit with charged Up-smashes, which will kill him at like 130% when fresh.

Charged F-smash can outspace his F-tilt and kill him at like 90%.

It's still a mad gay matchup that demands you to play pretty much perfectly all the time...it's just that Mario does have what it takes to win against Snake, while against Falco, it's more a question of how many times your opponent messes up.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I've played ADHD in tournament before. Lost 2-1.
I also played NinjaEdd, a very good Diddy from NJ, over the weekend in tournament and beat him 2-1.
I beat NEAce in Tournament at SNES, at the time he was Ranked, 2-0.
I beat GDX's Diddy in Pools at APEX 2-1.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I dont know about it being easy to kill snake but I usually do a F-smash that outspaces snakes F-tilt. That is how i win close games with snake since all he usually does is F-tilt, U-tilt, or jab combo you when your at high percentage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol yea probably on brawl-.
In Brawl- everything kills like 30% earlier than what I just said right now, no joke.

idk Bo, you gotta see how I play the matchup sometime (even though I suck at it). I'm really good at scoring kills efficiently.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
lol a long post but it makes a hell of a lot of sense. On a side note, i didnt know that kirby vs MK was that bad for kirby. I like how he broke those youtube videos down also. Mad props to him

Veggi

Smash Champion
I love Tampa, I wanna go down there sometime and meet da Marios and just because I can say that I've been to Florida. =D
You should come down here, although I can't promise I'll play Mario dittos because I hate them.

I'm in Colorado and my parents won't let me go anywhere. I want to play against CO smashers. : (

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
a2 must be the best mario he lands kills better than everyone else.
I almost never gimp Snake though, that's partly why I suck at the matchup.

That's why I resort to tricks that kill him the conventional way much earlier than normal. It's not as early as gimping him...it's just the way I work.

And I'm pretty sure that Flameleon knows almost all of my tricks and probably a few more, even if he doesn't know that himself. =P

I wish I could make it to more tournaments...I'm lucky enough that a few of my dormmates are good competitive players. I'm getting a LOT of experience against Falco, Snake, Samus, Sheik, Fox, and Captain Falcon as a result.

I should challenge DSF to more friendlies as well...since he's only like 5 minutes away from me...

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I almost never gimp Snake though, that's partly why I suck at the matchup.

That's why I resort to tricks that kill him the conventional way much earlier than normal. It's not as early as gimping him...it's just the way I work.

And I'm pretty sure that Flameleon knows almost all of my tricks and probably a few more, even if he doesn't know that himself. =P

I wish I could make it to more tournaments...I'm lucky enough that a few of my dormmates are good competitive players. I'm getting a LOT of experience against Falco, Snake, Samus, Sheik, Fox, and Captain Falcon as a result.

I should challenge DSF to more friendlies as well...since he's only like 5 minutes away from me...
What Snake players are you playing? A Mario Fsmash will never kill Snake at 90% if they have good DI. Watch some Ally vs. Boss vids and tell me if Ally dies anywhere near 90%.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm CHARGING F-smash. The idea is that I charge F-smash when I predict he F-tilts, and the time I spend charging F-smash is enough for the move to kill Snake at 90% (stage position dependent admittedly). At this point I really don't get why people complain that Mario has poor KO power when in fact he has very good reasons to charge Smashes. Yeah it would be nice if his uncharged U-smash and D-smash killed earlier, but really...Mario has some really good setups into U-smash that allow you to charge up.

I really should get up videos of my friend's Snake. Honestly he's really good, probably overall a better player than me.

And guys, I can't believe it's taken me this long to notice, but D-air landing hit actually TRUE combos into D-smash on most of the cast. At any percent for that matter.

It's not a very safe combo, and you have to space it as such that you are moving into your opponent as the landing hit occurs, plus they have to get hit by at least one of the weak D-air hits before getting hit by the landing hitbox, but it's a pretty legit punish option. If you have some balls, D-air Jab D-smash is pretty good as well and so is D-air Grab.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
when a certain part of the N-air hits at certain % can lead to D-smash. Even though you have to be VERY good at timing it, i think its nice to do.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
The fact that you have to charge Mario's fsmash makes him bad at killing. Average human reaction time is about 16 frames and Mario's fsmash is about 22 frames. Charging it makes it even worse. Not to mention Snake's Ftilt is much faster, has more range and you really have to think before he ftilts if you don't want to get hit by it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm actually with A2Z on this one...if you know how to properly set up your opponent or read them...charging smashes is MUCH more viable than it seems in theory. I started trying it out after watching Flameleon's vids and how effective he was using his charged smashes...

It's an easy fix for a big problem Mario has...that being his difficulty killing heavier opponents. The idea about Fsmashing Ftilts works in conjunction with good reading, and the fact that Fsmash > Ftilt in priority and range.

Spacing has to be on point though...or you're eating 21%....Veggi, you still wanna Blaz it up? *Calls ADA*

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-I do charge even Dsmash x9, and yeah, using charged smashes resolves the issue that Mario has about killing...but, i think than our killing potential is OK, Samus, for example, has a harder time to kill than us, but even with that, she can actually kill, so, it's all about reading opponents % and use unstalled smashes properly...

P.D: Don't u love when u can actually hit someone with a Full charged UpAngled Fsmash.? 25% of power +.+ -

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
lol a long post but it makes a hell of a lot of sense. On a side note, i didnt know that kirby vs MK was that bad for kirby. I like how he broke those youtube videos down also. Mad props to him
It's not THAT bad for Kirby in reality. I main Kirby, I should know. :mad:

People just like to think they're right, and persuade people into believing so (pretty much what I'm doing in this reply right now).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Average human reaction time is 12 frames, and Mario's uncharged F-smash is 15 frames.

Not every character benefits AS MUCH as Mario does from charging F-smash. You have to realize that Mario's F-smash is very solid in terms of damage, knockback, range, and release time. Overall it's one of the best F-smashes in the game to charge since the massive range and quick release time (10 frames) allows you to punish a lot of commitments.

The part that people will have trouble reacting to is the 5 frames startup of the leanback of Mario's F-smash, and if you called an attack at that point, the situation is in Mario's favor by a huge margin. Charging F-smash also helps make the move safer when they DO block it.

To be honest I'm actually starting to be convinced that Mario's F-smash is one of the top 5 F-smashes in the game in terms of how practical it is overall, how many situations it is viable in, and how rewarding it is.

Best F-smashes belong to Wolf, Wario, Pit, Olimar, and Mario basically lol.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I'm actually with A2Z on this one...if you know how to properly set up your opponent or read them...charging smashes is MUCH more viable than it seems in theory. I started trying it out after watching Flameleon's vids and how effective he was using his charged smashes...

It's an easy fix for a big problem Mario has...that being his difficulty killing heavier opponents. The idea about Fsmashing Ftilts works in conjunction with good reading, and the fact that Fsmash > Ftilt in priority and range.
I never said that you shouldn't charge smashes. The thing is that getting the opportunity to use a charged smash is pretty situational and can't be relied on. First you have to be somewhere where he will try to attack you and will miss. That's not too difficult. What makes it difficult is that you have to see the move miss, charge up your smash and release. You might not have the time to charge it because you have to react to their missed attack.

All I said is about the Snake thing is that Snake should not die by any of Mario's moves at 90% as long as they DI which is true.

Average human reaction time is 12 frames, and Mario's uncharged F-smash is 15 frames.
This is why Mario's Fsmash is a good punisher when uncharged. This is something that Pierce does all the time. He sees that the opponent did a ground move and it missed. He uses Fsmash and they are hit off stage or lose a stock.

Not every character benefits AS MUCH as Mario does from charging F-smash. You have to realize that Mario's F-smash is very solid in terms of damage, knockback, range, and release time. Overall it's one of the best F-smashes in the game to charge since the massive range and quick release time (10 frames) allows you to punish a lot of commitments.
10 frame release time is about average iirc. It can be charged in situations. I'm saying you can't rely on charging smashes to get kills.

The part that people will have trouble reacting to is the 5 frames startup of the leanback of Mario's F-smash, and if you called an attack at that point, the situation is in Mario's favor by a huge margin. Charging F-smash also helps make the move safer when they DO block it.
I feel like I'm misunderstanding this part. First, I don't see why you would have trouble reacting to Mario moving his hands back and being in an animation to move them forward. I'll give you the calling of an attack, but I'd rather just do an uncharged Fsmash. Also charging a move doesn't make it safer. It makes you less safe because they now have more time to react. Also you take more knockback while you're charging smashes.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
It's not THAT bad for Kirby in reality. I main Kirby, I should know. :mad:

People just like to think they're right, and persuade people into believing so (pretty much what I'm doing in this reply right now).
yeah i looked in the kirby and MK thread to see the match up. plus the fact that i was watch poyo ****** a MK made me laugh ^_^

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Someone show me a Mario killing snake early by beating his ftilt with charged fsmash. I really highly doubt this. I'm dead serious, lol.

Top Bottom