• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I never said that you shouldn't charge smashes. The thing is that getting the opportunity to use a charged smash is pretty situational and can't be relied on. First you have to be somewhere where he will try to attack you and will miss. That's not too difficult. What makes it difficult is that you have to see the move miss, charge up your smash and release. You might not have the time to charge it because you have to react to their missed attack.

All I said is about the Snake thing is that Snake should not die by any of Mario's moves at 90% as long as they DI which is true.
There's way more opportunities than that, especially for charged Usmash. If they're far above you after a Bthrow or something, you can bait an airdodge by doing an empty shorthop...if it works, charge the Usmash until they land on it.

It's good if you have them on the run and think they'll spotdodge...

I mean...it works for Sonics, lol. Our Fsmash is better than theirs XD

I dunno about the 90% thing though, I haven't taken the time out to test the KO percentages for charged smashes.

Here's an example. Bo offs Kappy's second stock with a charged Fsmash here. Bo caught Vato with it in a combo vid too...I think it was his Metaknight With Fireballs vid...

And like I said, Flameleon pulls it off beautifully all the time not only to punish missed attacks, but just as a good mix-up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My friend JohnZ knows the Mario vs Snake matchup REALLY well (since he used to main Mario) and he's fallen for the charge F-smash mindgame MORE THAT ONCE in a single match. Not that I actually win very often against him, but I do hit him fairly often with charged F-smash, and usually it's against his F-tilt.

I kid you not, punishing Snake's F-tilt with charged F-smash is legit when you know the spacing.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'm gonna try it out. It seems like it'd work in theory, and KOing Snake is always lovely...

I cape Ftilts. Beware my obscenely large disjointed hitbox.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I charge up smash when I bait air dodges, roll dodges, and moves that rocket the opponent torward me. Sometimes I charge down smash when people are falling towards me while in free fall, although I generally use up smash for that.

I don't charge fsmash except for sometimes depending on the positioning of the person roll dodging behind me, if there is an attack that sends someone torward me, or if I want to pull a Sonic main.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
There's way more opportunities than that, especially for charged Usmash. If they're far above you after a Bthrow or something, you can bait an airdodge by doing an empty shorthop...if it works, charge the Usmash until they land on it.

It's good if you have them on the run and think they'll spotdodge...
Usmash I'll agree that can be used. There's BUS and baiting an airdodge which is insanely easier to do than getting a charged Fsmash. Baiting a spotdodge will work as well. Charging smashes should never be used as a liability but as a read or mix up.

I mean...it works for Sonics, lol. Our Fsmash is better than theirs XD
Sonic's smashes (especially his Fsmash) have very fast release times. Mario's Fsmash is better though

why use charged fsmash to beat a ftilt.... when you can just walk away... always the safer option lol.
You should walk away then punish with an uncharged Fsmash. Charging can take too much time.

On a much more important note, I'm going down to college in Richmond. Watch out MD/VA. Pimpferno's comin' for yo' butts

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
So I picked up Snake. No more of this 'Bad placings because of my character when I actually have serious potential to make money in this game' anymore. However I'm dropping any of my characters, Mario or Link, and will be using them just as much as I have always been. I'm just tired of random Meta Knight's and Dedede's who are worse then be beating me because of my characters. So expect to see more Snake and Pit in my results.

This weekend I managed to place 9th, getting 2nd Seed in my Pool, with Mario/Link/Snake. I also beat NinjaEdd again in Mario vs Diddy. : D That MU is so much fun. I also came close to beating Zucco in Mario vs Lucario, another one of my better MU's. I'm turning it around guys. I'll pick up the slack I've had this past season.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Don't blame your bad placings on your character, it's your decision to play bad characters. I agree that picking up Snake is a good idea, though.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I'm not blaming it on them. I was fully aware I wouldn't get very far if I just used them. I've just recently gotten tired of the lackluster placings when myself and a lot of other people know I could be placing much higher if I put my time into someone good. So I decided to take their advice and pick up someone who could help me out in 'lol' Match-Ups.

Snake is also really fun.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I might eventually have to pick up a character for bad MUs . Luigi doesn't do too bad against D3 and I don't have much trouble. If I ever need someone for G&W or Marth I'll have DK. I don't know if Kirby will help with any MU.

NNID
LilG912
Snake is one of best secondaries since I main him in 08' due to playing many MKs, I don't blame Kirin for maining him. G&W and Kirby is very good back-ups for Mario, just watch out for Marth players, that's all. I dunno about DK, but I prefer G&W or Kirby to deal w/ Mario's match-up problems.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Snake is just really fun for me. It's like Doom said, "Imagine all the bomb tricks of Link but on a character that actually matters." And fighting Meta Knight with him is also really fun. xD I can pretty much handle every other MU with Mario/Link with the exception of DDD, I plan to use Pit on him.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I use Peach and DK somewhere around as much as Mario. The only really good character I like using is Dedede because he's a big king penguin with a giant hammer and he grabs a lot. Veggi does love his grabbing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm thinking that I should use Ganon instead of Luigi in random tournament sets.

Just because I'm STUPIDLY SICK with Ganon.

Aside from that, I really hope to get an interesting placing going Mario only. Then again I'm probably going to use G&W on hard matchups. And I still think that my Luigi has a lot of potential to do stuff.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I'm thinking that I should use Ganon instead of Luigi in random tournament sets.

Just because I'm STUPIDLY SICK with Ganon.

Aside from that, I really hope to get an interesting placing going Mario only. Then again I'm probably going to use G&W on hard matchups. And I still think that my Luigi has a lot of potential to do stuff.
What was the last tourney you went to :o

Top Bottom