• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 4 Secondary?

Tujex

Smash Ace
I've been fiddling with a lot of new characters lately while running friendlies with people around my area...and I've come to find that I kind of like Mario. He was my secondary in both Melee and 64...but I was just wondering if he fair well in DK's bad match-ups like Oli, D3, Wario....

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Mario does do well against Olimar and Wario.

But D3? Think about it . . .

Anyway, characters that counter Olimar, Wario, and D3 are non-existent. Falco covers Wario and D3 well, and does okay against Olimar. Marth counters Wario and Olimar, but loses to D3. MK beats all of them, and you should always main him because he's the most versatile. Diddy and ICs are very neutralizing characters. Luigi actually does really decent all around here if the infinite is banned. I believe Pikachu goes even all around.

Matt07

Smash Master
Luigi's a better choice for Olimar, he's a fairly good counter for him.

Wario? I dunno...I think Mario and Luigi both have a 40:60 disadvantage vs him...

Dedede? They both get wrecked pretty good...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm sorry but olimar and D3 don't have counters?

olimar gets countered by peach and d3 gets countered by falco and arguably ICs

Silfa

Smash Ace
I think he meant no single character counters olimar, D3 and wario at once.

I used to main Mario and the matchup doesn't seem too bad at all against wario, but I never really played any olimars with him back then. I've been thinking of getting back into playing Mario a bit more, possibly to cover some of those more difficult matchups. Though, learning a bit of Luigi and pika is looking pretty tempting at the moment.

Tujex

Smash Ace
PIka is my current secondary...and it seems as if it should stay that way tournament wise. I was just wondering what DK's thought of him being a secondary.

crifer

Smash Lord
I think he could be ok against olimar, but not that good.
I don´t see what mario should have against wario, but I dont know the mu at all.
and D3...yeah forget it.

btw I hate wario. Stupid character.

daisho

Smash Lord
I don't think having secondaries is usually worth it. Unless you can play them as well as your main, even with an advantage (unless it's like a **** matchup) you still won't do as well.

I would just practice the matchups you have trouble with as DK.

But mario is a really fun character to play and in the end, that's what counts.

And I don't think he meant ONLY DDD olimar and Wario. Just all of DKs bad matchups... TL ZSS diddy Falco... that's about it I guess

-Ran

Smash Master
Secondaries are incredibly important. Do you want to lose to an opponent of lesser skill because they happen to play a character that has a high advantage against you? Heck no.

[Or just learn MK.]

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
After the tournament this weekend I realized I don't have as much trouble with DDD as I would have thought. I can handle that match up with DK well enough. I do have trouble against anything with lasers though, lol. How is marth as a secondary for DK?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
DK vs D3 is like 6-4 D3 without the infinite. If you learn the MU (use DownB to force him into the air, where your Bair wins) then you'll be alright. Mario's not bad for dealing with Wario and Olimar, but I wouldn't recommend him. Marth and Luigi.

Also, I realize that I forgot to mention Peach, who actually does well in all three of those MUs. She solidly beats Wario and Olimar, and does good vs. D3.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
DK vs D3 is like 6-4 D3 without the infinite. If you learn the MU (use DownB to force him into the air, where your Bair wins) then you'll be alright. Mario's not bad for dealing with Wario and Olimar, but I wouldn't recommend him. Marth and Luigi.

Also, I realize that I forgot to mention Peach, who actually does well in all three of those MUs. She solidly beats Wario and Olimar, and does good vs. D3.
You forgot D3 lives till 200 percent every stock--and grabs everything peach can do. ><

I'm thinking very seriously about picking up Weegee. Olimar is the bane of my existence. I just cannot get inside!

Veggi

Smash Champion
Mario as a second main works for me. Olimar doesn't counter DK. Mario loses a bit against Wario and Olimar. Mario loses a lot against D3.

Then again, I also use Peach. All good for me. If you're going to use Mario, use him against Falco, Toon *****, Diddy, and ZSS.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I've been fiddling with a lot of new characters lately while running friendlies with people around my area...and I've come to find that I kind of like Mario. He was my secondary in both Melee and 64...but I was just wondering if he fair well in DK's bad match-ups like Oli, D3, Wario....
Mario is Mario. He's literally your average plumber in just about every aspect of a character in Brawl, except for his feeble recovery. This is why he doesn't compete with higher tiers like Olimar, Wario, and especially King Dedede, with his standing infinite on him. Pikachu is a better secondary than Mario to be honest, because he covers King Dedede and somewhat Olimar, while Mario.... uh I don't want to finish that sentence.
Mario as a second main works for me. Olimar doesn't counter DK.
There's no such thing as a second main, you'd call that a secondary...and Olimar sure as hell counters Donkey Kong.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You forgot D3 lives till 200 percent every stock--and grabs everything peach can do. ><

I'm thinking very seriously about picking up Weegee. Olimar is the bane of my existence. I just cannot get inside!
True and then false. D3 does live to high percents, but you can punish his recovery with a Usmash and you can easily force him into UpB at higher percents. Also, wtf, shield-grabbing Peach is a foreign concept. Her floating makes her safe on block against almost everyone, which is one of the reasons she's so good vs. Olimar in the first place. Secondly, her Fair is basically the definition of safe on block. She also has a fairly good projectile.

Mario is Mario. He's literally your average plumber in just about every aspect of a character in Brawl, except for his feeble recovery. This is why he doesn't compete with higher tiers like Olimar, Wario, and especially King Dedede, with his standing infinite on him. Pikachu is a better secondary than Mario to be honest, because he covers King Dedede and somewhat Olimar, while Mario.... uh I don't want to finish that sentence.

There's no such thing as a second main, you'd call that a secondary...and Olimar sure as hell counters Donkey Kong.
Olimar definitely counters DK. You can shield camp the hell outta him, and actually have kill moves against him. He also is a huge target for Pikman Toss. Mario does good against Olimar and Wario though, what are you talking about, lol? He loses to D3 because D3's massive grab bullies him pretty bad, and that Bair harasses him as well. Outside the infinite though, he loses to D3 for the same reason that the most of the characters who lose to D3 do. Mario's recovery also isn't that bad at all. I rarely get gimped as Mario in any MU. His high priority UpB has invincibility and he falls slowly with decent mobility. He also has fireballs and cape stalling to protect him, and can turn around to use Bair with fireball or cape. His recovery is fine. His problem is actually landing K.O.s and his lack of range, especially on the grab. He also has a difficult time punishing well.

Veggi

Smash Champion
He's a second main because I don't know what character I'm best with. To call him a secondary would give people the wrong impression.

Also, no Olimar does not. Sorry, approaching with down b and up b on Olimar's damaged shield ***** him. Dropping off the edge with cargo and dthrowing him also makes it impossible to recover for Oli. Edgeguarding Oli with the super armor glitch wrecks him too.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
He's a second main because I don't know what character I'm best with. To call him a secondary would give people the wrong impression.

Also, no Olimar does not. Sorry, approaching with down b and up b on Olimar's damaged shield ***** him. Dropping off the edge with cargo and dthrowing him also makes it impossible to recover for Oli. Edgeguarding Oli with the super armor glitch wrecks him too.
DownB is easily able to be reacted to with jump OOS, Pikman Toss, Fair. In a MU where you rely on DownB, you're losing. Cargoing to offstage throws isn't reliable on any character, because they can mash out into a free footstool, and DK is dead. Especially since the "hold up" exploit was discovered. Meanwhile, getting a grab on Olimar with DK isn't the easiest thing, since Olimar can shield and then either grab or Usmash OOS. You have no reliable approaches, which forces you to approach from the air, and he can grab even your most spaced of moves.

Luigi player

Smash Master
DownB is easily able to be reacted to with jump OOS, Pikman Toss, Fair. In a MU where you rely on DownB, you're losing. Cargoing to offstage throws isn't reliable on any character, because they can mash out into a free footstool, and DK is dead. Especially since the "hold up" exploit was discovered. Meanwhile, getting a grab on Olimar with DK isn't the easiest thing, since Olimar can shield and then either grab or Usmash OOS. You have no reliable approaches, which forces you to approach from the air, and he can grab even your most spaced of moves.
lol, if DK does his down B and Olimar shields it, unless Olimar is really near he can't jump and fair, because it pushes him back and has huge range. Pikmin toss also doesn't matter (it will do like 5 % or something), unless it's a violet one (and even then it isn't that strong). DK doesn't rely on down B, because if he's using it too much it obviously will get countered by spamming side B and being in the air. DK has more options than that. It's true that a shielding Olimar is pretty safe against DK, but DK can do an aerial side B, a grounded upB, a giant punch (with SA) (DK should have a charged punch in this matchup, so the Olimar will want to shield if DK appraoches), and he can also land and grab Olimar, if he's expecting the wrong thing.

A grab is pretty good against Olimar, even if DK is still on the stage (if he isn't at the edge jump cargo uthrow is like a techchase against Olimar...). Offstage it's even better. If Olimar has >80 % DK does have some time to throw Olimar, and even if he brakes out and would be able to footstool DK, DK can move back or use upB or uair/bair/nair to not get hit down from it (although reacting to it probably isn't easy).

Against a perfect Olimar I'd probably say it's Olimars advantage, but since humans aren't perfect the Olimar might "guess" or react wrong which is evening the matchup since DK has a few mixups.

Will also beat Pyronic Star (aka Logic) in a money match with DK...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
on paper olimar seems to destroy DK. but in reality, he does not.
at worst its 55-45 olimar

bigfoot plays rich brown and says its even I've played fino recently and went 2/5 in $mms and I also say its even.

Tujex

Smash Ace
He obviously doesn't know what DownB does.

DK SLAPS THE GROUND. Auto-cancels all ground based combat immediately.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
My 2ndary is Lucario, mainly because hes kind of similar to DK in terms of range and ability to intimidate your opponent (fully charged Aura Sphere at ~100% anybody?)

Luc can take D3 pretty well, i use him exclusively for that MU

i've only played against one Olimar and i used DK so idk how Luc would do there
i've also only played against one Wario using DK. He beat me both times, but the matches were real close.

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
I talked to and played P~S in a arizona-iced tea MM and he said that if he knew it was being recorded, he would have wrecked will.

It's really hard to get inside, and when P~S, now Logic, is playing at max power, you won't touch him. I fu*king hate Olimar. I'd rather play against D3.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario does really well against Olimar if you know exactly what you're doing. Mario has quite a few good block strings, with his D-air, N-air, and U-air all having extremely low ending lag. You can blatantly aerial into Olimar's shield and Jab before he can do anything, and SH D-air -> N-air/U-air is also very good on shields. N-air goes through his Up-smash, and you can Jab cancel D-smash him and gimp him with the FLUDD and Cape very easily.

Against Wario...eh...he's okay. He's fast and small enough to make it moderately difficult for Wario to approach. The main problem is just killing Wario, since you pretty much specifically have to save Up-smash until 130% for best results if you don't get a lucky gimp. F-smash baiting him can be hard since he rarely ever spaces from the side.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Luigi does better against Oli, Wario and D3 than Mario...if you're looking for a near-perfect fit.

If Mario really suits your particular style though, then definitely go for it. If you're familiar with the matchups for Olimar and Wario, they're both definitely winnable for Mario. The only true issue that Mario has for Wario is actually killing him...As A2Z pointed out, it's very hard to land Fsmash on a wary Wario and Usmash doesn't KO him until high percent fresh. Fortunately, Usmash has decent priority and range in comparison, so it's a decent KO move against Wario for all intents and purposes...besides KOing early XD

D3 is doable if the infinite isn't legal. If it is, Boss told me himself not to try the matchup...and I'd have to agree with him. It's extremely lopsided. If it's not legal, it's still an uphill battle for you, but it's not an unreasonably large disadvantage if you can space well with Mario (Cape, Fireballs, Bair, Dair, Fsmash, Ftilt...all without being predictable).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Luigi does better against Oli, Wario and D3 than Mario...if you're looking for a near-perfect fit.
This is true. I never really found Mario to be a good secondary. There's always a character better suitable than him to cover someone's bad match-ups, despite the fact he goes even/slight advantage/slight disadvantage with 70% of the cast.

D3 is doable if the infinite isn't legal. If it is, Boss told me himself not to try the matchup...and I'd have to agree with him. It's extremely lopsided. If it's not legal, it's still an uphill battle for you, but it's not an unreasonably large disadvantage if you can space well with Mario (Cape, Fireballs, Bair, Dair, Fsmash, Ftilt...all without being predictable).
I have yet to feel the wrath of an infinite, so I'll say what I've always been saying: It's not the infinite that makes the matchup so bad, it's DDD's grab range. Mario's approaches just get shut down easily from being grabbed too much. The chaingrab/infinite is just kicking you while you're down.

Mario's a good character to main, especially since any discovery we can possibly make with him could shift all of the match-ups he has into his favor. But he never really came off as a good secondary to me. There's a lot of characters better than for any given match-up.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I have Luigi as a secondary, he works well against all three, D3 is the hardest to fight of those three with weegee. But luigi's killing power helps a lot in this mu.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
luigi would cover them all if the infinite is banned

really though, specific secondaries for one matchup don't work, because you run the risk of being counterpicked. just pick a good character that goes around even or better with all of them (i.e. falco, olimar, wario, marth, ddd if you know the olimar matchup like cpu does, etc) and get them to the point where you're really comfortable taking on anything with them. notice how I said good character, that excludes mario

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
luigi would cover them all if the infinite is banned

really though, specific secondaries for one matchup don't work, because you run the risk of being counterpicked. just pick a good character that goes around even or better with all of them (i.e. falco, olimar, wario, marth, ddd if you know the olimar matchup like cpu does, etc) and get them to the point where you're really comfortable taking on anything with them. notice how I said good character, that excludes mario
this + Kirby (and sometimes zelda lol) = my strategy for DK's hard MU's

Kirby covers Falco, Olimar and DDD reasonably well, and if my Kirby isn't working against DDD I go Zelda with better results in every case. Wario and Marth are doable - Wario's CG is really hard (i've never been grabbed more than 4 times in a row in tournament) and Marth dies early and has predictable recovery, both traits DK excels at taking advantage of. And in case ICs are giving you trouble, Zelda handles them easily. I've never played against anyone that's given all three of them character-based trouble.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
ive started using pit as a secondary.... he forces alot of high tiers to approach cause of his arrows. hes a hard player for a lot of people to play against being that no one really uses him at all...

Top Bottom