• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MARCH 12TH/09 *REVIVAL OF SMASH* (1st page): Raynex vs. COLBOL/ZHU

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If you are talking about my matches vs. Euro, he always fsmashes me after I pass the edge so I'm not hugging the wall.

That way there is no opportunity for me to tech. He basically just waits a second longer than he should and fsmashes.

GAAY.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Bernie when are our 6 am Fox dittos going up?

jks I kid.

But on a serious note how do I beat Jiggs with Fox without using lasers like how you do it? Do I just massive **** their face with Nair and blistering speed while their blistering SPED keeps them from doing anything productive? Or is it all about WD towards them with your back turned and U-tilt?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
For me it works if I just play very fast.

When im far away i do some FJ-3lasers but like i don't laser camp, that's harder imo.
If jiggz gets too near space yourself with wavedashs out of shield or avoid those bairs/nairs by wavelanding on platforms if possible.
If you get a grab uthrow uair really fast.
If you hit with a drill-->shine try to techchase (with drill--> shine =P)
edit: sometimes CC shines ****

Don't get grabbed or run into pounds.

And upsmash whenever it hits and you can't do anything better.

lol, i think it's really funny matchup

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I find laser camping ridiculous on PS and FD (dreamland ban usually) but on a small stage it seems she can get close quickly so I should learn real fighting. Either that or how to control the random select so I get a stage conducive to laser spam but somehow I think that's less realistic.

Mostly I just try to Dair shine and then tech chase her with grab or another Dair shine or something but mostly grab so I can U-throw ****.

I find U-throw Bair more reliable at low low percents because if I land on a platform (yay for autocancel Bair) if they mis-DI I get another Bair and that's sensual and it's not SDIable either. Additionally, it's very easy to do if they DI behind, and, finally, the difference in damage vs U-throw U-air is like 2%. So when the goal is damage building I prefer reliability (plus there's a chance of bonus damage if they wiggle to SDI Uair and they accidentally DI into another Bair).

I find Bair spam (especially from a platform waveland or platform drop) very good for some reason but I'm magical and somehow my moves work when they're not supposed to.

Beyond that I guess I have to just CC more intelligently. CCing Bair just doesn't work. CCing her Nair into an U-tilt or Shine --> tech chase grab is pretty ridiculous though.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Bernie when are our 6 am Fox dittos going up?

jks I kid.

But on a serious note how do I beat Jiggs with Fox without using lasers like how you do it? Do I just massive **** their face with Nair and blistering speed while their blistering SPED keeps them from doing anything productive? Or is it all about WD towards them with your back turned and U-tilt?
lol, you want me to admit you have a better fox than I do? Or maybe that you can **** me in the ditto. Alright I'll admit both. I suck, I already know you're better than me. right? Also, why are you asking me questions you already know the answers to.

I find laser camping ridiculous on PS and FD (dreamland ban usually) but on a small stage it seems she can get close quickly so I should learn real fighting. Either that or how to control the random select so I get a stage conducive to laser spam but somehow I think that's less realistic.

Mostly I just try to Dair shine and then tech chase her with grab or another Dair shine or something but mostly grab so I can U-throw ****.

I find U-throw Bair more reliable at low low percents because if I land on a platform (yay for autocancel Bair) if they mis-DI I get another Bair and that's sensual and it's not SDIable either. Additionally, it's very easy to do if they DI behind, and, finally, the difference in damage vs U-throw U-air is like 2%. So when the goal is damage building I prefer reliability (plus there's a chance of bonus damage if they wiggle to SDI Uair and they accidentally DI into another Bair).

I find Bair spam (especially from a platform waveland or platform drop) very good for some reason but I'm magical and somehow my moves work when they're not supposed to.

Beyond that I guess I have to just CC more intelligently. CCing Bair just doesn't work. CCing her Nair into an U-tilt or Shine --> tech chase grab is pretty ridiculous though.
You definetly know how to play this match-up better than me. I'm just mindless and spam tech skill. I screw up half the time so my style isn't very reliable or practical. Its actually pretty stupid now that I think about it. :laugh: I got lucky as hell beating hbox.

idea

Smash Master
For me it works if I just play very fast.

When im far away i do some FJ-3lasers but like i don't laser camp, that's harder imo.
If jiggz gets too near space yourself with wavedashs out of shield or avoid those bairs/nairs by wavelanding on platforms if possible.
If you get a grab uthrow uair really fast.
If you hit with a drill-->shine try to techchase (with drill--> shine =P)
edit: sometimes CC shines ****

Don't get grabbed or run into pounds.

And upsmash whenever it hits and you can't do anything better.

lol, i think it's really funny matchup
^that's actually almost exactly what i would have said. avoid grabs and you're fine. but jiggs (like me) might not try to just shield grab (don't screw up L-cancels) and WD back to grab (spacing), they might also try things like nair to grab...which can be beaten by CC shine most of if not all the time. ryan would approach me quickly, follow me around a lot, and usually CC shine my nairs, and it just seemed impossible to do anything to him. don't even worry about pound, if you're doing it right they won't have the time =P

and also like he said at the beginning, be fast. jiggs needs room to use her crazy air mobility...if you take that and her grabs away, what does she have? then you're just beating the **** out of an adorable balloon for 3 minutes.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Kyle why is your jiggs so good.

When you started resting you started give me a lot of troubles which is raaaape.

idea

Smash Master
Kyle why is your jiggs so good.

When you started resting you started give me a lot of troubles which is raaaape.
lol thanks. i really don't like the link matchup though. mango boards (it's not as accurate to say jigglypuff boards =P) agree, it's a weird matchup. even people with weird characters like jiggs would rather fight high tiers.

it helps that i can nair rest now =D ask desh, i did it against his doc a bunch of times.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
lol thanks. i really don't like the link matchup though. mango boards (it's not as accurate to say jigglypuff boards =P) agree, it's a weird matchup. even people with weird characters like jiggs would rather fight high tiers.

it helps that i can nair rest now =D ask desh, i did it against his doc a bunch of times.
Nair rest is ****.
now i gotta start thinking ahead how to prevent or couter that.

wow Bernard, your matches with mike is sex.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I was joking; you usually win our dittos. And that doesn't answer my question.
I was kind of joking too.

You know the match-up better than I do, seriously. I win with my own personalized strategy. It is by no means universally effective. I just find it alot easier with the way I play.

My strat vs. Jiggs:

DD mid-range and bait with blistering speed and wavelands. When Jiggs lags punish with Fox stuff. If jiggs refuses to approach shoot some lasers to convince her to fight you. Once she is back in close range pressure her shield, space bairs, drillshine to techchase, and use utilt to scare her from spamming at high percents...and bait again to get more moves / combos. She'll eventually run away again realizing real fighting is out of the question. Again you laser.

See where I'm going with this?

idea

Smash Master
i think he's calling you out...

for some reason mike never tries overly hard in friendlies. must be some sort of real-life mindgame.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
i think he's calling you out...

for some reason mike never tries overly hard in friendlies. must be some sort of real-life mindgame.
Lazy ftw? >_> I just do random stuff in friendlies/test stuff.

My Marth is never impressive for people to watch. I just move around, approach, CC, tech chase, keep pressure. I don't do any super **** combos on good players (especially in friendlies LOL) because generally DI > Combos. And I mean when people say impressive they only look at the combos/tech skill xD

I mean if you watched my pools matches from Event 52 you'd see lots of **** combos. Anyone can combo someone who just spams survival DI but Bernard is better then that.

Pay attention to the DI of the person getting combo'd. If you watch like SilentSpectre vs. anyone all the person does is spam survival DI and get like u-throw to f-smashed or whatever repeatedly X.X

I.B

Smash Lord
Lazy ftw? >_> I just do random stuff in friendlies/test stuff.

My Marth is never impressive for people to watch. I just move around, approach, CC, tech chase, keep pressure. I don't do any super **** combos on good players (especially in friendlies LOL) because generally DI > Combos. And I mean when people say impressive they only look at the combos/tech skill xD

I mean if you watched my pools matches from Event 52 you'd see lots of **** combos. Anyone can combo someone who just spams survival DI but Bernard is better then that.

Pay attention to the DI of the person getting combo'd. If you watch like SilentSpectre vs. anyone all the person does is spam survival DI and get like u-throw to f-smashed or whatever repeatedly X.X
quoted for the epic truth

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
quoted for the epic truth
lol when i play you its like d.i. doesn't matter.

Here is the comparison I'm willing to make vs. i.b:

I.b. combo-ing me, looks like me combo-ing peterx. Except not as sexily, originally, painfully, or as frequently.

still **** though. Euro spams teh mind**** and super safe shield game.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
you guys take di so seriously. I want to be this good. how do you practice it by yourself?
DI is really important. Combos works because of bad DI or missed techs and such, but yeah DI takes you away from a bad situation (being combo'ed or death). Thats why its important.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
you guys take di so seriously. I want to be this good. how do you practice it by yourself?
In general hold down to try and CC or tech stuff when you're on the ground. You'd be amazing at how long you can go without being launched by Marth's tipped Fair or Sheik's Dash Attack by simply holding down. At higher percents and when the move does not allow such a tech, DI away or in accordinly (Fox's U-smash, for instance, is very hard to ground tech whereas Marth's Dash Attack or Fox's Bair are much, much easier).

If you're airborne hold away unless it's a combo finisher. This can be a problem with some characters, namely Falcon, when they land a Knee or something and you DI in to avoid being sent offstage but wind up getting hit by a second Knee. But most characters don't have crazy punishes like that.

In some rare cases it's preferrable to DI towards the character (like, say, Marth's dash attack, which pops you straight up if you DI away from him) but more often than not DI away is superior.

cykofox

Smash Ace
thanks canada.

lately i've been getting up throwed by fox and i've been able to end up on his right rather than straight above him, but this only works if i smash di only, not if i hold it?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Smash DI works iirc by using the freeze-frames during hitlag (well, the hitlag itself, really, but semantics) to change your position (this is done with the joystick).

Since throws (except for iirc Jigglypuff's F-throw and Peach's F-throw; I don't remember which one it was or if it's both) do not have these freeze-frames, you cannot Smash DI them.

Just hold the direction you want to go in as the throw is occuring or, if you're not going to mash hard, hold the direction when you're grabbed.

Top Bottom