• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Major] "The Power of One" ~ Vid Channel links 1st post + Montage by Dekar

What days are you attending?

• Total voters

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice

Dekar289

Smash Hero
didn't see any camping with laser... just to mix it up and put that possibility in cao's mind.
seemed to eager for that kill in the first match, lots of upsmash... predictable desperate kill moves got you punished for 2 stocks
many times you drill shine -> upsmash but the shine doesn't hit, leaving you whiffing an up-smash and being vulnerable
many players do these predetermined set of attacks/inputs (redact comes to mind), whereas what you need to do is REACT

pleasantly surprised by your skill otherwise...

thanks for uploading, almost there! :)

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful to have some feedback :D. I'll try put some of that into practice next time. I hope to have everything uploaded by friday.

unreon

Smash Ace
The very first time I played Cao, he beat my Falco with Zelda and then Boozer.

At least he respected you enough to play Peach.

Cao stop disrespecting me!

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Hey cphanso is good, he does use logic, he just lacks experience against good people. I do see him change his playstyle when he starts getting owned (atleast against me), so it's good to see that he has the ability to always reconsider his options.

I just think you're too used to practicing things on CPUs or someone that doesn't know as much about smash so there's still things you need to learn won't always work in every circumstance.

Keep it up though, you have potential for sure.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The very first time I played Cao, he beat my Falco with Zelda and then Boozer.

At least he respected you enough to play Peach.

Cao stop disrespecting me!
He forced me to play Peach -- I think my intention was Pichu, barely got through pools Pichu only

advice: far too much reliance on run-in to upsmash kill, so easy to block and punish that out of my sheild. work in more shield pressure kills using nair bair and grabs to KO.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
yeah ijust watched the set and that's the most painfully obvious thing, you try to bait with wavedash backwards and run in usmash way too much. fox has a bajillion options for KO's and approaching in general, you need to utilize them all.

S.D

Smash Master
Fox vs Peach - don't even approach. Laser until they come to you, avoid peach's slow **** jump over her and bair if you get a chance. Repeat. Infinite wins.

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice
Well I notice mango's fox is extremely pressuring but he also throws in lasers whenever the peach tries to get away from the pressure. That seems like a good way to go about it, idk though, I'm bayudd

EDIT: CAO went peach because I asked him to. I was going to lose either way, so I wanted the most amount of knowledge I could possibly get from the match.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Bryte, if you were white and gay, I would so be hitting on you right now. <3

Also... Mmm I guess that 1-5 you made, Zac, before, is pretty good, except make it 1-6 and put Zxv as 6th. :D
I don't think me or Zac will really be much of a competition anymore, tho, considering we sort of only play when we verse each other, and not really anyone else. xD

Sorry for not trying harder, tho, for all those that... wanted me to, I don't know why you would, haha.
For the 100th time I've lost my passion for da game and the only one that brought it out was Cao but we didn't even get to play so I was all sad face. :c

Anywho.
I think I already did shout outs, but fully sik time.
Might watch the matches and cringe at all the mistakes I made.
Especially with the match with Dekar's Marth, urgh, I feel like I need to redeem myself with that.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
and markarse lol

6 sets left to upload... and they're all great! come on cpahanso...

unreon

Smash Ace
Actually, I retract that.

Kas is not allowed on the mic.

Only Drunk Kas is.

Which is most of the time now that I think about it.

I retract my retraction.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
campy m2k fox > lose to armada
xtreme tech mango fox > beat armada 6-0
Thats because mango is just purely better lol, theres a reason hes regarded as the best over there by a decent bit (despite him losing every tourney as link/falcon/marth rofl)

Campy fox can be done, it's just not a solution when youre already losing as turbo fox

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
next time i want drunk kas and myself to commentate a fox match, so we can bawww & squeee the whole time

sd/cao vid: this is sam when he's not screwing up - perfect.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I wrote up a post-tournament analysis, feel free to agree/disagree.

It is often that one can enter a tournament with the full knowledge to predict who will champion the event of the day. Yes, majors are capable of usurping surprise results, but these are usually answers to an unconfirmed pretext: the famous example being Corpsecreate in 2009.

Brisbane’s Power of One’s Melee events were unlikely to inspire any ballsy and defiant second-guessing of winners, as all of the dependable variables were present to pave way for yet another predictable and ‘boring’ result. Consensus amongst the community elite would have suggested a sustained CAOTIC vs. Kas rivalry that has dominated national tournament finals for the previous two years (excluding American interventions). Other Smash pundits would have also backed community favourite S.D to have clinched the title. However, The Power of One was rocked by a series of developments that nobody would have predicted.

No clear favourite had stepped up to claim the title, which may be a first in Australian tournament history. Traditional rivalries which had set the scene in Rocky and Robocop were irrelevant. The top two players were relegated to 4th and 5th place. The winner: a notoriously poor performer in the national circuit, Dekar.

The difficulty in the art of prediction is further exasperated by the psychology behind the unreliable game play choices made by some competitors. The victories made by this tournament’s top three: Dekar, S.D and ZXV, owed much to the weaknesses of their opposition. Some of these performances speak for themselves on video: S.D’s winners-semis performance over CAOTIC was a convincing W:3 - L:0 assassination.

On the other hand, Kas’ performances were elusive, yet typical of basket-case scenarios where players can decisively react to certain predicaments. Rebellious to the logic of Sirlin, some players will purposely decide to relax their competitive drive if they a) economise their efforts to win, in line with their self-assessed value of the social, financial, and entertainment stakes, or b) have assessed their match to be unwinnable. a) and b) may also co-exist.

Despite these observations… there are amazing competitors, like ZXV, who always try.

The ambiguous mixture of competitive and uncompetitive drivers has always and will continue to influence our future results. With all due respect to the winners and the ‘new-era’ talent showcased in ANZ Stadium, these rationalisations are penultimate to underlying power of talent.

-------

Shoutouts - Vyse: THX for running the tournament. I had lots of fun!

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I asked other people to commentate, many of which the people you suggested, and hardly anybody wanted to. Even bad commentary is better than none. You'll notice in the grand finals I get some more people. Don't hate me for trying to make the commentary decent, I'm sorry if it isn't satisfactory but I'm still a new player.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
nobody is hating on you, i love your enthusiasm and like you said, bad commentary is better than no commentary. if nobody else steps up to the mic, good on you for commentating. it's your recording setup anyway, right? thanks :)

6 more sets to upload, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyouuu can doo eet!

cpahanso

Smash Apprentice
Thanks dekar. And yeah it was my setup for videos on my channel. Should have the remaining matches up in the next hour or two.

S.D

Smash Master
I would normally have helped out with commentary dude but I was content to just relax and watch the matches for a change - sorry.

I think you're pretty well spot on there Cao - I think the most driven competitors are the ones who will continue to achieve the best results.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Your commentary is still leagues better than most of Perth's commentary (or 'was', given our scene's headstone placed firmly in the grass).

Top Bottom