• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Major League Gaming Acquires Smashboards

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here is the link to JV's announcement

MLG's Smash Get Better Fast Guide (not complete, a few new articles get put up each week)

Major League Gamings Official Website

So this represents a big step for the community. Anyone who hasn't read the announcement (if you haven't, go read it!) should be aware that this will mean very little in terms of changes around here (better servers being one of the main things), the structure and members who work within the community (your trusted moderators and administrators) will remain.

Discuss.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I'm loving this. This will definitely be a huge step for competitive Brawl. Also, I would like to see how the ownership change wil impact the people on the boards. Hopefully more people with common sense and fewer noobs. But then again, one can only hope...

D

Deleted member

As long as they stop sending me to there website link when i try to get online on smashboards again, this is cool.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm sure the minor kinks here and there will be ironed out soon - like the missing avatar curse.

Other than that, I have no problem with this transition.

Fletch

Smash Master
Looks like they plan on picking up Brawl for MLG tournaments, I was kind of hoping against it to be honest. But at least we're getting better servers.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I'm sure the minor kinks here and there will be ironed out soon - like the missing avatar curse.

Other than that, I have no problem with this transition.
God I hope so. I need a custom so bad... I hate standard ones. They make me feel so... Noobish.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
So that's why I would get linked to the MLG site for some reason earlier today when I clicked on General Brawl Discussion. That better have been a glitch.

D

Deleted member

Joe you're so cool.

Now if only your fox controller had an R button.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
hmm... looks like MLG is picking up Brawl

t'was kind of inevitable. Oh well. I'm gunna be optimistic and say it'll help forward brawl's competitive play and give us all more people to play

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
Looks like they plan on picking up Brawl for MLG tournaments, I was kind of hoping against it to be honest. But at least we're getting better servers.
Waaahh? Why? It would bring in much more people, excitement, and a lot of pluses I cannot think of. :)

Too good. This means our rules will stick, I hope.
Most likely. MLG had Melee for a while and the rules were good, I think the same most tournaments used. So I think we can safely say they we won't be playing with items or on 75m.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
i thought of this happening because when SWF was down the other day it kept saying mlgpro.com on the status bar on the bottom of firefox

and if the hint isnt obvious enough for some people Brawl + Cash= MLG Sponsered Tournament(not necessarily but cmon, its not a brawl contest not having to do with gaming)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Posting what I did in Announcement Discussion:

Does this change anything? This is just a forum. Is the SBR now working with MLG more closely on anything Smash related? Are Evo and SWF ties now even looser?

I still see no mention of this on the MLG front page so it looks like they're ignoring it on that end.

I don't see how this is anything other than a load off SWF's back in regards to bills but I'm not seeing any benefit for MLG.

It'd be nice if this meant stricter moderation though =) SWF is waaaay too lenient.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Posting what I did in Announcement Discussion:

Does this change anything? This is just a forum. Is the SBR now working with MLG more closely on anything Smash related? Are Evo and SWF ties now even looser?

I still see no mention of this on the MLG front page so it looks like they're ignoring it on that end.

I don't see how this is anything other than a load off SWF's back in regards to bills but I'm not seeing any benefit for MLG.

It'd be nice if this meant stricter moderation though =) SWF is waaaay too lenient.
Strict to Gamefaqs degrees?

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
a lot of talk regarding the ruleset...

im curious...metaphorically, if mlg decided to alter/waive the traditional ruleset...what would happen?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This is very exciting :). MLG did a lot for Melee back in the day. Even when they dropped melee from there pro circut, they still sponsored grassroot tournaments.

MLG is an example of a company that knows what it's doing. When they picked up melee, they hired people who were involved in the community to help them. Compare that to Mr. Wizard from Evo. MLG caters to the players and is smart enough to know that we know what is good for our game. They listen to the community and that makes them a great company in my eyes :).

Also, got to love new servers :).
If I had to guess. MLG will go by the SBR, especially seeing as Smashboards has effectively become their base of smash related happenings.

There would be an uproar if they tried to go down the path of EVO. But I'd wager we can place our faith in MLG.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
So anybody have any ideas what they might be planning for the friend finder?

are they trying to integrate it into the gamebattles portion of the MLG site perhaps? they must be up to something with it for it to be down for so long.

Hopefully it'll be back soon, better than ever.

anybody else who might be a bit more savvy in this department have any ideas? surely all this delay can't be from just switching servers

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So anybody have any ideas what they might be planning for the friend finder?

are they trying to integrate it into the gamebattles portion of the MLG site perhaps? they must be up to something with it for it to be down for so long.
That would be awesome. As a person who hosts online tournaments and participates in them, that would be a great thing to see and hopefully it'd make this community take online play more seriously instead of the "online player=scrub" mentality that a lot of people have here...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
hmm.. since it seems that there won't be any major changes in the community, I'm all up for it, just am concerned whether or not we'll see any Melee single anytime soon.

M@v

Subarashii!
Wow, didn't see this coming at all O_o. Seems like a great idea though. It can only mean more good things for us, and the expansion of brawl. *salute MLG*

kr3wman

Smash Master
But do keep your eyes peeled for a special announcement (I’ll give you a hint: It involves Brawl and some cash)!

-JV
Yayuhhzzz.

Too bad they don't have a league in Canada. I think.

MuBa

Smash Lord
As long as MLG does not change smashboard's forums and the canon rule set the SBR made for Brawl tournemants, we should be very happy. Because winning at LEAST $10,000 in a video game tournament is nothing to scoff at =/

Plus having a lot of people over would be very fun.

GofG

Smash Champion
I posted this in the old thread:

This is terrible for the competitive smash community.

(Same thing Yuna said, except with stronger adjectives and implying that this makes it BAD instead of just not good)
I got flamed :(.

I posted that because I understand that this means that MLG will pick up Brawl. Iwan, someone I thought was my friend! :O <3, commented on the fact that I always agree with Yuna, etc. I do, that's why I was joking about it in my post (when I said "Same thing Yuna said, except stronger adjectives and implying that this makes it bad instead of not good.")

:(

Top Bottom