• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Major League Gaming Acquires Smashboards

Fletch

Smash Master
are people jumping to conclusions?
I would encourage all of you that would maybe like a better understanding of Major League Gaming Inc to check out their home page, www.mlgpro.com , for more information. In closing, I just want to once again reassure you that our goal is to provide the same great experience and grassroots feel you have come to know and embrace. Any changes or modifications we make in the future will always keep this principle in mind. In the meantime, you can expect pretty much the same old Smashboards, just on some new servers . But do keep your eyes peeled for a special announcement (I’ll give you a hint: It involves Brawl and some cash)!
I don't think so; I think it is pretty apparent that they plan on picking up Brawl.

I posted that because I understand that this means that MLG will pick up Brawl. Iwan, someone I thought was my friend! :O <3, commented on the fact that I always agree with Yuna, etc. I do, that's why I was joking about it in my post (when I said "Same thing Yuna said, except stronger adjectives and implying that this makes it bad instead of not good.")

:(
I agree completely, I'm scared of what this means for the Smash community... I have a feeling the reputation that has been worked for is going to disintegrate pretty fast.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I agree completely, I'm scared of what this means for the Smash community... I have a feeling the reputation that has been worked for is going to disintegrate pretty fast.
So far from what has been discussed, nothing will be changing much, at all, from smashboards. We'll still have all the rooms, we'll still be able to host non-mlg tournaments and whatever else we already do. Believe me I was worried too, but any changes that do occur, will only be for the best of Smashboards.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I don't think so; I think it is pretty apparent that they plan on picking up Brawl.
Are you sure? I mean people could be jumping to conclusions about a pro circuit. It could be sponsored grassroots tournaments again, you never know.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Who knows...

I wonder when MLG will come out with a televised Brawl circuit, that would be a lot of fun to do!
I just hope that they don't cut this off like a bad habit as they did Melee.

THEN I'd be pretty mad at MLG. But right now, i'm very happy about the merge. Shows that this community is actually getting out there and not just staying underground.

Edit: Ok, I just caught something in the guide that MLG made.
Final Smashes? Please don't say they're gonna bring the smash ball into their tournaments...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The Get Better Fast guide is continuing project that is only about 1/4th complete. A lot more work has to go into them. The articles are for competitive players and casual players alike (hence there will be some content on things like Final Smashes).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Are they seriously gonna add Final Smashes to tournaments? Hope not. If they do, then it better be some "Casual Friendly" tournaments instead of the mainstream.

Foxy

Smash Master
Regardless, SWF hopes that MLG understands how bad their guides are and that they're just piggybacking off of info discovered by SWF and posted here.

Not to discredit them, but the only people who are ever going to use the guides are absolute newcomers, which isn't exactly MLG's target audience. Seriously, why are they following Sakurai's example?

MLG: Major League Gaming. Don't mess with stupid things like character guides, you went out of your way to buy SWF so you might as well just use our guides. Do what we need you to do: host pro circuits, nationals, etc.

I'm sure not too much will change with SWF but MLG is taking it all a bit further than it needs to go.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
I love how things can get misinterpreted/misrepresented so easily on the internet's.
I hate when people jump to conclusions like that, especially when they start criticising.

Even though I just recently found out what MLG stands for, I did some research and they seem to get a lot of positive views from tournament gamers and I'm glad they accquired Smashboards. :)

MLG: Major League Gaming. Don't mess with stupid things like character guides, you went out of your way to buy SWF so you might as well just use our guides. Do what we need you to do: host pro circuits, nationals, etc.

I'm sure not too much will change with SWF but MLG is taking it all a bit further than it needs to go.
Now that I agree on. However the guides should be a bit more official than a link to our character guides, some of which are structured a bit sloppy.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Regardless, SWF hopes that MLG understands how bad their guides are and that they're just piggybacking off of info discovered by SWF and posted here.
Considering I write all the guides I would like to know which ones made them bad?

Just two notes though: pictures and videos will be added to most things in time, just as anothet 250+ "articles" will go up. The purpose is the view it as all inclusive, meaning one "article" doesn't need to be super long.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Where did I do that? Especially considering 99% of the time (that 1% percent being that one instance you saw I guess, a link would be nice), its called short hopping

Cause if its in there, I'm going to go yell at my editor.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
^age intelligence is not IQ^
^over9000 is oldmeme^
^you are probably not far past 10 years old^

:012:

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
^age intelligence is not IQ^
^over9000 is oldmeme^
^you are probably not far past 10 years old^

:012:
the amount of pwn contained in this one post is almost equivalent to a falcon punch. almost *falcon punch is an old meme*

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
So, how much did MLG purchase SWF for? We never found out.
I highly doubt they'd reveal that bit of information... but I would certainly be interesting in knowing the amount. ^_^

xxvic1ousxx

Smash Cadet
I suppose this means MLG will begin to take Smash seriously. It'd be awesome to see some main stage events for Brawl with $10,000 1st place prize Singles and $20,000 1st place prize Doubles matches.

Skywalker

Space Jump
...and we leave SWF to the bureaucratic ****s of professional gaming.

on the bright side, I think Gideon, and every user who sufficiently sucked up to him, are set for their college tuition.

IDK

Smash Lord
seems like brawl was going to die soon anyway without something new. this could be exactly that.

Top Bottom