• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

idea

Smash Master
lol, i'm gonna try that. also one thing i got from some video of darc is, when you backthrow, and want to bair, but they try to get around it and illusion, use reverse nair. i mean, it's kind of obvious to try to cover that other option right after finding out the first one won't work, but i never really thought to use that move for it that way.

if i have any one thing i use well that almost no one else does, it's reverse fair. basically any time anyone is going to pass through the edge, you get there first and immediately jump off and fair with invincibility. it also works really well for punishing them when they get onstage: say fox up-b's past the edge and onstage...while you are holding the edge, you can now jump up and hit him with the back of fair to hit him back off. it's similar to jumping past him and bairing, but faster, giving him less chance to shield, and with less chance to realize what's going on (to adjust their DI).

Mahone

Smash Champion
invul reverse fair is really strong against marth

also, a marth daired me at zero today and i popped up barely off the ground with like no lag so i rested him out of it lol... it was ****

idea

Smash Master
Kyle, Reverse fair is too good XD

Needs more reverse fair, jab reset to rest though
lol well yeah you could be flashy and do it onstage anytime, but i meant as an extended edgeguarding maneuver, since it's the strongest aerial that's fast enough for certain situations.

Bing

Smash Master
haha I know what you ment :p I was just sayin :p XD

You'll probably do it to me in friendlies... or more likely, TEAMS. cause I always play you teams and you always get 1 REALLY gay rest on me...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
So jumping after (just a bit in the side of the stage) to dair pressures fox/falco well enough to get free kills on reaction even when they DI away>jump>side b or up-b?

Mahone

Smash Champion
No... its like you backthrow a spacie at the ledge and predict they are going to jump back... so you can stay on stage and try to rest their illusion like hbox does sometimes, or you can jump back with them and try to bair/reverse nair to hit their illusion, or jump back with them and wait for their upb so you can bair it... but i jump back with them and dair to cover a lot of illusion heights (they can still go reallly high and beat it, in which case you have to hard predict it and bair high) and then i move the dair into some of their up-b angles

Alright i made this **** to explain it .... it took me like ****ing 5 hours so i hope its clear

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That picture is simply beautiful and I learned stuff in the process too. Gimping is probably my weakest part of Melee.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
hbox kept ****in PP's day up with bthrow -> high bair -> edgehog when PP drifted back a lot. this actually looks like it might even be better than that though im not sure of the intricacies. also i never knew you were an artist.

idea

Smash Master
if you can hard read them on double jumping back and up, then bair is better, but this dair thing looks useful if you're less sure what they're gonna do.

Mahone

Smash Champion
hbox kept ****in PP's day up with bthrow -> high bair -> edgehog when PP drifted back a lot. this actually looks like it might even be better than that though im not sure of the intricacies. also i never knew you were an artist.
Ya, i dunno, pp can tell you cuz im not sure, but i think its cuz he was used to me always trying to mahone him since im his only puff practice lol...

He started countering it by doing that high side-b, which is why i mentioned that as one of the only counters in the beginning of the post

if you can hard read them on double jumping back and up, then bair is better, but this dair thing looks useful if you're less sure what they're gonna do.
this.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I honestly thought Hbox would keep coming out for some reason....

That's why that edgeguard worked so well.

I'd say the Mahone covers(slightly) different stuff than the thing Hbox did does but both are usually guaranteed kills if you get a hit.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I honestly thought Hbox would keep coming out for some reason....

That's why that edgeguard worked so well.

I'd say the Mahone covers(slightly) different stuff than the thing Hbox did does but both are usually guaranteed kills if you get a hit.
You mean wouldn't keep coming out?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
No like he would Bair then I kept thinking he would just keep coming after me. That's why I side B'd early some though(fear and/or didn't want to get Bair'd initially+wanted to see if I could mix him up if I went high and he went low) and went barely onstage that one time.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
in other news: hbox vs PP was an interesting set. i thought it was interesting because nothing really amazing happened. they're both so ****ing good that they were just doing simple solid stuff stupidly well the whole time, no fireworks. which is unusual for a top level set but makes sense given how good & fundamentals-based they both are. good stuff to both of you.

idea

Smash Master
come to think of it, that jump back bair thing would work better on falco (than fox). falco has 2 reasons to jump up there more often. 1. his jump goes much higher, and 2. his up-b is much shorter. falco wants all the height he can get. if he ever falls below the stage and has to up-b he's dead.

also come to think of it, they DO jump there more often :cool:

sup pp :D gonna win apex?

idea

Smash Master
I'm curious to see how Ice does. That guy has a pretty sexy marth. Also leffen's yoshi vs. any fastfallers.

Oh yeah, just remembered something, didn't you say it means something when mango changes his falco colour? I was bored in class the other day and read a bunch of the stuff from the first post of your thread in the falco boards :p

I tend to associate colours with certain players or playstyles over time. So for falco,
Neutral = Dashizwiz
Green = Forward
Blue = Mango
Red = ??? Nite?

So red falco is the worst lol. Also it just looks ugliest.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
OH GOSH

That's just Mango trying to get inside my head, but it probably serves some purpose for himself that he needs to step it up more.

Explaining it beyond that is silly.

Ice is a big wild card and I'm very interested in how he does as well.

Edit: Man I still haven't replaced Forward =(

Bing

Smash Master
2 things. 1. Mahone, love the drawing, needs more text boxes so its readable

2. Kyle, I said gay rests, not rests in general, you always get uair to rest or like... rest me when I go to save my partner... :S

King5280

Smash Journeyman
we all know up tilt is amazing and whenever i do it good things usually follow. i dont hit with it enough though. what are the best ways to set it up or lead into it generally? especially against ffers?
the only time i get it really is when i nair and land behind them when theyre shielding or a low percent.

idea

Smash Master
we all know up tilt is amazing and whenever i do it good things usually follow. i dont hit with it enough though. what are the best ways to set it up or lead into it generally? especially against ffers?
the only time i get it really is when i nair and land behind them when theyre shielding or a low percent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8to0i2eqmS4&t=4m47s

look at me and kage. basically that. usually it's better to land behind them, though.

uptilt's hitbox starts at jigglypuff's feet so it's really good at shield poking, as long as you can get really close to someone who doesn't have a full shield; empty hop uptilt accomplishes both.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Mahone, could you make a post each time you edit the guide? It would be helpful if you said what you updated so we can look at that particular section and learn new stuff.

Mahone

Smash Champion
sure thing... i haven't updated anything since the first time...

I've been kinda lazy, but also i thought tekk was gonna do a writeup on falcon so i was gonna wait for that...

I'm also hesitant to do a writeup on falco cuz i even though i'm pretty good at the matchup cuz i trained with foxlisk and get a lot of drpp training, i don't really understand it that well lol... i dunno i'll think about that one for a little and decide whether i know enough to update...

Also i'm trying to quit smash but its hard lol... i love the game but i'm stuck between 2 really ****ty regions (in terms of people, not skill), you guys have any advise?

Also, also.... you guys should check out state of the game... and if you have time you can listen to the last episode cuz i was on it... i tried to get them to talk about puff as much as possibly so hopefully there is something in there thats interesting.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=302549

idea

Smash Master
so i was listening to part of that state of the game thing, anyone know where to find this thread where m2k asks people to help him choose a religion? sounds stupid, i wanna see it.

idea

Smash Master
you don't know who sliq is? :O i bet you he namesearches this.

also, top 5 puffs are hungrybox, darc, tekk/me/meta imo. i mentioned it in the chat. and sliq if he still played which he probably doesn't.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I know who sliq is, i guess i misheard... Also im fine with that top 5 i guess... I need to start going to more tournies so i can be on that list

:phone:

idea

Smash Master
But I'm the cutest
process of elimination ;)

also i can't update it to anything past 2007 nite. the colours are just stuck in my mind. otherwise red falco would probably be calle w or apparently-tryhard-mango.

I know who sliq is, i guess i misheard... Also im fine with that top 5 i guess... I need to start going to more tournies so i can be on that list

:phone:
haha i'm not sure of any of the last three being on it, it's just...yeah, again, process of elimination.

edit: oh yeah, maybe doyoung?

Top Bottom