• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MAGfest presents, Brawl/Melee tournament at MAGfest 7!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hey everybody. If you're looking for a way to start off the new year, well you should come to Alexandria, VA and celebrate with us at MAGfest!

http://magfest.org

MAGfest is the Music and Games Festival, held once a year somewhere in NoVA. This year it is in Alexandria VA and it will be a blast. In years past, the Melee competition has been a joke, and the tournaments were run with strange rule sets. But this year, I have the pleasure of hosting both tournaments!

For all the big pro's- MAGfest is a big casual gamer fest with SOME hard core players. There is no entry fee for the tournament itself- only the entry fee to the convention, which is 40 bucks. The prizes will be minimal, but hey it will be a great time and there is plenty else to do besides Smash down there.

So here are some details:

MAGFEST (magfest.org)
5000 Seminary Road
Alexandria, VA 22311
Jan 1st - Jan 4th, 2009

Smash 64 Singles/Doubles- 12am, Friday, Jan. 2
Melee Singles- 12pm-6pm Friday, Jan. 2
Melee Doubles- 12am-2am, Sat, Jan. 3
Brawl Singles- 12pm-6pm, Sat, Jan. 3
Brawl Doubles- 12am-2am, Sat, Jan 4
Brawl Draft Crew Battles- Whenever time allows, maybe sunday afternoon?

This is at a hotel, and a freakin' nice one at that. There is a ton going on all 80-90 or so hours of the convention, and a lot of people stay up for 3 days straight and don't sleep and live off of Bawls and Domino's Pizza. It will be exciting!

Also- if you plan to go to the convention and want to play smash in your rooms, the TVs in the rooms suck, so bring your own setups! We will need setups anyways. Mr. MAGfest has told me he alone has 12 tube TVs to bring to the fest, not including anything else anyone else could bring, which could add up to at least 20 tvs. We will get a share of those.

Hope to see you all there! Plenty of OOS come to this as well.

Brawl Ruleset:

Rules Are SBR Standard, if you have any questions call me, here are a few exceptions though
I have a time limit to run this in- so in opening rounds there may not be a best 2 of 3, but quarter finals and forward will have this for sure.
* 7 minute timer
* Kirby/Dedede/Ganon/Diddy cides will be a one stock run off, should it occur.
* Controllers special rule- MAGfest has controllers, and the wii's may be locked up and hard to plug your controller in. I will do my best to make sure you can use your controller. Wavebirds are ok. Wiimotes and Nunchuks could be tough, but we'll do our best (I'm looking out for you, Lobos).
* Ice Climbers Infinite Grab-to-kill lock is banned. To clarify, you can throw to the pink ice climber, but if you throw back to the blue one after than it becomes violating the rules. You're welcome to do chain grabs that move across the stage that don't have you stand still, but standing infinite is banned.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Stage List (Brawl):

Neutrals

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Norfair

Melee Ruleset, SBR Standard with the following exceptions:
If there are any questions, ask me please, or ask someone not retarted

* 7 minute timer
* Wobbling is banned, if it is in question call a judge

Neutral Stage List

Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List

Rainbow Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64
Green Greens
Jungle Japes
Mute City
Poke Floats
Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom II
Brinstar

Smash 64 Rules:

I don't know a whole lot about the competitive Smash 64 world, but it's pretty much standard competitive stuff that applies to all smash games, with 5 stocks. If you have any questions, ask.

Stage List-

Neutrals: Dream Land, Hyrule, Sector X, Kongo Jungle (if we get our hands on a game shark, we can play at battlefield as the neutral)
Counter picks: Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, Saffron City

Brawl Draft Crews special rules:

Each crew will have 20 stock, stocks must be distributed as evenly as possible, so you can't give your best player 10 stock lol stuff like that, and if possible no one should have more than 3 stock. If you have to distribute out, go to 2 stock for the unevens. We need at least 10 people to do this.

SEEDING: I'll be doing the seeding, and any other people there who are competitive can have say in it as well. But don't worry too much about bad seeding.

ATTENDEES:

TheTantalus
VanillaWaffle
Kornn
CK
Warchamp7
Hidden MachineS
SypherPhoenix
theSage

Hidden MachineS

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to this, I always miss magfest but not this year. Right before Katsucon, gotta make it!

0_0 at distant planet, lol at diddy kongs.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Only problem I see is that Mushroom Kingdom 2 and Princess Peach's Castle are now banned stages.
Yeah I don't play Melee that much so I don't know all the rules...

They might still be cool to have on, it's MAGfest after all.

Taj you should bring woodbridge!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Good stuff Lobos, the convention is a great time and we would have plenty of time to just hang as smashers, and smash of course. It will be great fun.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
HELL YES, I've been planning to go to this for a while. I live pretty **** close but I'm still getting a hotel room with my friends :p

Thank god there's some sort of organization for Melee. I'm totally entering.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Well EE my room is technically full, with Waffles and 2 other guys going, if anyone drops i'll let you know

if you go, there will be someone who has room and would like someone to split the room with

Since Lobos is only going for a day, we won't get in trouble if he hangs with us for a while (EE you should come and hang with us too) And toasty, O-NO, and HMS are going as well, so we should have a decent size smashboards crew.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Kornn I would let you in no problem- only thing is if the hotel finds out we have more than 5 people in our room they can double charge us for the room and/or kick us all out of the hotel.

Same with EE, but 2 people already have to sleep on the floor since there are only 2 beds per room.

I can go find you all rooms though, let me go get on the forums and ask people if they need roommates, or why don't you all get a room together, Lobos/Toasty/EE/Kornn/Taj/Warchamp7 or any combination of smashboards people

Edit: i will edit the first post for attendees

Looks like people have safely gotten away with having more than 4 people in a room, but 7 would be a stretch. I'll let you all know. But if we get caught, the convention could be over for all of us.

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
Tant you are way to paranoid my man lol. Last line sounded like the ending of a preview to some kind of cartoon lol.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
That would be one terrible cartoon heh

Well I don't want to get kicked out of the hotel, thats all, plus its not technically my room, its waffles, so he'd have to be ok with it too

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
Kornn I would let you in no problem- only thing is if the hotel finds out we have more than 5 people in our room they can double charge us for the room and/or kick us all out of the hotel.

Same with EE, but 2 people already have to sleep on the floor since there are only 2 beds per room.

I can go find you all rooms though, let me go get on the forums and ask people if they need roommates, or why don't you all get a room together, Lobos/Toasty/EE/Kornn/Taj/Warchamp7 or any combination of smashboards people

Edit: i will edit the first post for attendees

Looks like people have safely gotten away with having more than 4 people in a room, but 7 would be a stretch. I'll let you all know. But if we get caught, the convention could be over for all of us.
sorry if my sounds weird, but theres always more than 5 people in one room, for example other conventions. you won't get caught at all dude lol

but it's fine, i'll find other room to stay then :)

Lobos

Smash Master
Limit of Entrants

In any case, you'll prolly let us know the day which this is going down right? I'll go and win.....what kind prizes are there?

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
Prizes are just, like... whatever the TO decides to award you, I think. I placed 3rd in Guilty Gear last time, and got nothing for it v_v Went and got myself totally embarassed by Jwong, and didn't even get a crappy t-shirt...

Lobos, I hope you're better at Brawl than at Melee, else you won't have a chance of beating me ^_^ 'course, I'm a lot worse at Brawl than Melee, so you never know... you should totally ban Meta-Knight for this, because I can't fight him for ****.

In case it wasn't already obvious to everyone, I'm already registered and everything with some of my friends to come to this. None of them are smashers, so it's good to know that some others are coming... we might bring along a modded Wii for Brawl+, if anyone's interested in that <_< I sure as hell like it more than regular Brawl

Lobos

Smash Master
I am alot better at brawl than at melee, mostly due to me not using a low tier character plus I have alot more experience now. I don't really play melee anymore either due to a lack of the game and a gc controller.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Ok so I talked to waffle and he's in agreement that there isn't any room for anyone else in the rooms.

The rooms are really small albeit very nice. There are already 2 people sleeping on the floor. Unfortunately we're full so we won't be able to take anyone. Nackerz you should be there since Toasty is going as well, and then maybe JCaesar will be convinced to go, and we can have R.O.B. crew battlez

Good stuff to all who are coming. it will be good timez!

10getsomeroomzsoon

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Eh, probably not going to this. The smash is gonna suck on laggy TVs and I don't particularly care about any of the other stuff. The only reason I would go to this would be for the chicks.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm assuming, these conventions always use LCDs, and except for the tournament part, it'll probably be all FFAs and stuff. Just not worth it, I can get better smash a lot closer to me.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Well I already looked into the laggy TV thing, last year, we had like 40 TVs, and like 25 of them were tube/projections, 15 lcds, and the smash was run on all LCDs...

So I made sure that we get Tube TVs. Sure you can get better smash closer to home, but the experience is worth it.

For the girls JCaesar? There usually aren't that many at this one...so I guess that would give you no motive to come, but I'll be honest, you might see 10 all weekend

Edit: Now that I think about it, there were probably like 60 tvs

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Schedule is up?

I just personally talked to the convention organizer, and we will have at the very least 12 tube tvs to work with.

Editz: CHECK FIRST POST! I have the tentative schedule up. If teams are in demand, we will do them. If not, well, then we won't.

Top Bottom