• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I think it's pretty clear now that brawl tourneys get the most hype for melee. Melee tourneys got nothing on brawl tourneys.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
i just thought of the greatest mindgame ever

When someone gets hit by this, him and all witnesses will quit smash forever to spend more time with their remaining thoughts because their whole outlook on the world will have been shattered.

prepare yourself.

[COLLAPSE="spoilers"]it won't help[/COLLAPSE]

ORLY

Smash Master
is it the double tomahawk? reneblade dared me to do that one in bracket months ago

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm sure it will work on me lol. I'm not prepared!

Also, greatest mindgame ever = Trojan Horse?

PPS. We're in Governance tonight. Last one until January!

sanchaz

Smash Lord
hmmm, this game needs to get hyped again. and I don't mean 30 entrances hyped. I mean pot bonus and 50 entrances at least hyped.

peeps. I'm going to revive this ****. I'm going to make an announcement today. **** is going down. and I don't mean goofing around sanchaz. I mean "**** is going down" sanchaz (aka try hard sanchaz)

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
it's better than double tomahawk and the battle of cannae.

sanchaz: you don't play this game and your avatar is way too cute

[COLLAPSE="sanchaz is mad"]
[/COLLAPSE]

sanchaz

Smash Lord
it's better than double tomahawk and the battle of cannae.

sanchaz: you don't play this game and your avatar is way too cute

[COLLAPSE="sanchaz is mad"]
[/COLLAPSE]
I'll have red ryu ban your *** ***** **** **** **** **************** **** **** ******* stupid falconess *** ********** ** * ****** ***** piece of non-dante like **** ***** *** uncool but!

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Let it be known, that it was due to my trolling on facebook, that inspired Sanchez to be TRY HARD sanchez. Too bad Try Hard Sanchez still loses to laid back vino.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I dont get it.. why cant Lone and Vino trash talk eachother?? I wanna see some rivalry you guys.
Trust me, we trash talk enough in real life. Sanchaz is just so easy to trash talk cause he's dominated the melee scene in WI when like NO ONE played, so he's got an ego that's huge.

What exactly should I be doing in doubles?

Okay, my partner is near the ledge getting tag teamed by the other two, I have center stage. You guys have told me to do something to intervene, but whenever that happens I usually end up missing the other team and hit my partner. As Frank pointed out, I someone how manage to hit him instead of hitting the others whenever I try to intervene.

But when I try waiting to get a grasp on what is going on (like where my partner is vs where the others are) so I do not rush in without knowing where my opponents and my partner are situated, I let the other team have more time to tag team my partner.

Then there is the issue of who is going to get the attack when the opponent is airborne between the two of us. Most of the time I just see the opponent get launched towards me without knowing if they were in KO percent for my partner to finish off or not. Again, if I take time to figure out what is happening when they got launched, I will have already missed the opportunity to have attacked them if I was expected to have done so.

It's like in order for me to play the match quickly at the pace the rest of you play it at, I have to forgo any thoughts I have and rely on reaction. Yet, that's a bad thing because it leads to hitting my partner or screwing up something like the proper punish. But if I am to play smart about the choices I make, I slow down too much that I become a burden anyway.

I'm just not sure what sort of approach I should be taking. No idea how you guys manage to play quickly and be able to have any sort of thoughts about the right thing to do.

john!

Smash Hero
just be like me and play it as if it was singles. then, when you accidentally kill your partner twice per match, blame them for getting in the way/cramping your style

in all seriousness though, if you accidentally hit your partner while trying to save them, don't worry about it. some people will whine about how bad of a partner you are, but you shouldn't be teaming with them anyway because they are scrubs

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Let whoever launches the opponent get the free hit if you are next to each other. You should only finish their combo if they can't. And as far as hitting your partner, ideally you're not close enough to hit them, ie. you space so that you won't hit them even if you attack that way.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
best analogy I heard was that melee is like a foreign language. Foreign languages sound super unbelievably fast because you don't know where one word ends and the next word begins. melee is the same way. If you don't know where a situation ends and the next begins, you can't keep up. Look at top level matches, their spacing is absurd and it's not because they're superheros or something. They know exactly what little details to look for, when to look for each detail, and have the muscle memory to make just fine adjustments. They know what to look for. This takes experience, and once you can pick out key aspects of a situation, the game slows down a lot.
Outside of practice, I don't think there's really a secret to it, except look at your opponent and not your character. You control your character, you don't need to see where/what it's doing, you should know. Looking at your opponent lets you react more quickly to what they are doing. I think that's what tech skill really is: doing what you want without wasting attention on your own character.

edit: teams stuff I think is even more situational than singles because you can't just throw out moves wherever you please

sanchaz

Smash Lord
the packers made me kinda sad and glad that they lost. next week will be better, :)

However, Tebow and friends have Jesus on their side today! (LETS GO!)

Top Bottom