• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
sorry quaz, I'm currently without a vehicle.
We could smash tomorrow, but you'd have to drive up here

xeylode this a quote from cactuar about that same problem you were talking about at the end of the semester:
Cactuar said:
In addition, if you go from 0-60 like that and your thought processes can't keep up with the speed yet, even if you don't make a technical error, you will make bad decisions because of a disconnect between current location of character and previous. People that play like that tend to watch their own character more than watching the opponent's. The consequence of doing so is that their reaction to the opponent's actions are greatly delayed.

I end up more confused trying to put general pieces of advice into play.

Focusing on your opponent not yourself. Does that mean my eyesight should be affixed upon my opponent only? Do I need to broaden my eyesight to not focus on a small bit of the screen, but rather absorb what I'm doing myself, the stage, and my opponent? What about conscious thought? Is thinking about I've been doing too much of Dair -> shine on shields over and over again getting punished for it a bad thing to focus on? Should I rather be thinking of what options my opponent has to get back on the stage once they are off it?

Broaden my focus and slow down my pace and reactions to every little thing. I guess I'll see how well that works out for now.

Not sure if I'll be back on Sunday or Saturday. And quaz, you drove out that one last time before the semester ended, you aren't that lazy.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm coming back Sunday because I'm going to the MN tourney Saturday, but I'd be up for playing during the week since no one will have any homework yet.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
you shouldn't have to absorb or react to yourself or the stage. You control your character, it's not like when you move the cstick, the game randomly chooses which smash attack you're going to do. You shouldn't have to watch marth to see how far your ledgehop waveland went because you picked the angle. The stage is also always the same, you don't have to spend the whole match "reacting" to the fact that there's platforms on battlefield.

Tech skill practice takes the work of execution away from your brain, and puts it in your muscle memory. That way your brain can make reads and come up with plans and do things you have to react to which is basically just your opponent.

I want you to know that I avoided making 3 separate brawl jokes while typing this. =)

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Exarch, I'm glad you came to Madison those few months and revitalized the smash community. I never would have started playing competitively if it wasn't for those smashfests (even if I only went to two of them). You should come back and see what we've evolved into sometime!

Mundungu

Smash Lord
you shouldn't have to absorb or react to yourself or the stage. You control your character, it's not like when you move the cstick, the game randomly chooses which smash attack you're going to do. You shouldn't have to watch marth to see how far your ledgehop waveland went because you picked the angle. The stage is also always the same, you don't have to spend the whole match "reacting" to the fact that there's platforms on battlefield.

Tech skill practice takes the work of execution away from your brain, and puts it in your muscle memory. That way your brain can make reads and come up with plans and do things you have to react to which is basically just your opponent.

I want you to know that I avoided making 3 separate brawl jokes while typing this. =)
This is of course if you arent playing on FoD, or god forbid, PKMN stadium. I spend more time watching that stage than I do anything else.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I'm back in Madison now :) I can't wait to actually go to all of the meetings this time! Playing so much over break got me back into the game.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
mundungu my strategy on those stages is to play as though the stage isn't changing and then john when they change and I get destroyed.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
moozle dude. come to the union south and play melee/brawl. also come watch me body john9blue.

do you guys want to know something funny. I'm starting to believe that peach is the 2nd best character in the game. how do you hit a character that has a hitbox everywhere around her? idk, but everytime I see armarda play, its just like DAMN.

my top 6 are:

sheik, peach, fox/falco (tied I guess), marth/puff.

this list keeps changing for me every time I think about this game, ugh.

oh, hey exarch

sanchaz

Smash Lord
is sheik really that good? its hard for me to see it I guess.
I believe she has the best moves ( I was about to type in normals, lol)even when compared to falcos d-air. All of her aerials are scary with great damage output, and the range of her b-air is great.

yeah, she has to respect fox and falco, but if she guesses right on mixups, I think she punishes harder then the spacies BY a lot.

Her edgeguard game is AMAZING. killing spacies with a 50/50 and braindead edgeguarding captain falcon.

However she does lose against fox on pokemon, and fd, its pretty hard, but not impossible.

she defines the tier list. If there was no shiek, you have a LOT more samuses (sami?), maybe more marths, and other mid/low tier characters.

I have a couple other reasons, I'll update this later.

Quaz

Smash Master
Man, I think Im too biased from high competitive pros. I only think sheik isnt as good because I never see her win tourneys. I feel like Peach, Jiggs, Falco, and Fox are the best simply because of their placings.

Is that a bad thing though? Obviously Marth and Sheik are still pretty good, we just dont have anyone unlocking their potential I suppose.

Well, after the tourney this weekend in MN I was a surprised by its size. Healthy. Also, still don't understand melee, but w/e months to figure it out still. Brawl there is sort of... I 'unno. Good players, but also plenty of newbies.

I'm back in Madison now :) I can't wait to actually go to all of the meetings this time! Playing so much over break got me back into the game.
Glad your coming back. Hopefully Elbow/Knee and this new Zelda player will be there this week.

Anyone feel like playing sometime later this week? I'll have practically nothing to do tomorrow after 2pm and same on Wednesday. Actually, I've really nothing to do today either.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
There is a sheik top 5 at every national Quaz. The problem is just there aren't enough good sheiks.

Peach doesn't win a single top/high tier matchup, they are all like 50/50 or slight disadvantages except she beats ICs. Who does Peach BEAT here (Fox/Falco/Puff/Falcon/Sheik/Marth)???

Quaz

Smash Master
yeah but none of them ever come close to beating Mango.. although KK beat Hbox somehow at Apex in winners. (and I really dont know how he managed). I guess now that I think about it sheik isnt too bad.

Its too bad M2K doesnt focus so much at melee now. Would love to see his sheik just beat everyone, lol. I think he could do it if he stopped playing brawl.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
peach has the potential to be a top 5 character.
I think jiggs sucks because her moves aren't really good enough for her to ride on the threat of doing a move like other top characters, she really has to keep doing moves to keep you at her ideal spacing, and I think that loses hard to any type of waiting. Her edge game is super good, but I don't think that edge play is really relevant to modern play. Peach's defensive threats are more real imo and waiting doesn't really get much going vs her.

I don't like using results because I think player skill far outweighs tier rank, it's like saying that the top tiers are who the best players pick as mains.

Top Bottom