• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison WI Smashfests!

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
We've been hosting weekly smashfests in Madison for the past ~4 months or so.

Now there's room for a thread.

Usually on Thursdays at 6 at my place. If you're interested in coming and haven't been before lmk.

Had a good time last night. Looking forward to next week.

GL at the tourney this Saturday.

ORLY

Smash Master
Why aren't you going, exarch? It'd be mad easy for you to find a ride.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
as a matter of interest, one reason I decided not to go to madison is because I didn't think it had a smash scene.

oh well.

Reviving the scene means reviving melee. There is no interest at all in anyone except for me to get brawl going. Besides, why should it matter kennispam? Smash is smash no matter the title. If you are willing to come for a tourney, be willing to come for a smashfest. They achieve the same thing. You plays lots of smash. So I expect to see you there next thursday.

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
Wisconsin Brawl players are lazy as ****, that's why.

I guess I'll hold off on Melee of any type until I start playing it though (lol)

exarch

doot doot doot
Erik: Not true. If you want to revive the scene with new players (and we will need new players.) The easiest way to do that is do brawl. You know how unforgiving competitive Melee is, not everyone is as determined as you to stay in the scene. Brawl is a significant part of smash. Also, how's that smash club coming? Haven't heard talk about it in a while.

LOA: lol. Rats. I actually considered cancelling it so I could go to HP... but decided I didn't really want to see it on opening night. I'm looking forward to meeting you though.

Red: Weekly smashfests are a great place to start reviving a city. Finding people is tough though, but requires 'aggressive' searching.

Also: This week starting at siiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxxxxxx (6), which means I'll be at Chadbourne around 5:45. It'd be nice to have a head count before going to pick y'all up. At this point I assume Frank/Culvers, Erik/Xeylode, Ryan/Sanchaz, and Matt/Mundungu are going unless they post otherwise. John and Jason/Sync I'm not sure about, they should start coming more and post when they aren't coming (Jason close to this.) Vinodh I assume is a no even when he posts saying he's coming.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Erik: Not true. If you want to revive the scene with new players (and we will need new players.) The easiest way to do that is do brawl. You know how unforgiving competitive Melee is, not everyone is as determined as you to stay in the scene. Brawl is a significant part of smash.
i cant say i agree with this, to me brawl players are more likely to be casual since its newer. whenever i come across people who still play melee they seem more likely to have an interest in the scene. im not just saying this either, this is how neenah works. mr black and wes are two new and relatively regular melee tournament players from neenah, whereas i have not found one brawl player who showed a shred of interest in competitive play

exarch

doot doot doot
I meant more of brawl players interested in joining the tournament scene. Casuals are casuals no matter what game they prefer.

Most melee players who aren't in the tourney scene have given up on it, because all their friends are playing brawl now.

Definitely the ones who play melee still we want 100%, but I think they are fewer than non-casual brawl players.

You just like disagreeing with me. Don't think I haven't caught onto you. :denzel:

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I think there's still hope for new players. I went to my first tournament at the end of this summer, so I'm obviously really bad, but I still want to play. Even though I didn't win any sets at Revival of WI (my pool was Sancez, Big D, and Vro) there were at least 3 people I was better than and 3 others I played I think I could beat with a little practice.

Everyone's Reaction: "Wall of text! I will skip over this!"
My Reaction: I know you all will not read this whole thing and instead avoid it or glance through it :awesome:

:glare: That is the problem though Exarch. Melee will still be the biggest influence here. Brawl has no chance to get started. Even if people start playing, you have said yourself that competitive play is a hard sell to begin with. Then we have sync, culvers, vino, exarch, sanchaz and john who all hate on brawl openly. Say only two other people join up with us regularly and they want to do compeitition. They will find that no competitive brawl players exist for miles around save for one. Instead they will see an already established melee community that hates on brawl (plus, we have a lack of set-ups). How long do you think people will stay with brawl before going over to melee and leaving brawl behind? I suppose there could be the chance that there might be people like me who will be willing to play both competitively, but I doubt it. People will commit to either all brawl or all melee if it was there. I would likely do all brawl if the community was here. Staying in Madison though has certainly turned me into a competitive player on all fronts of smash though.

I have given up any hopes of finding other competitive players with brawl. If they are interested, they would have already gotten competitive through wifi. If they were interested in getting offline, they would have worked their way into here like I did. Anyway, back to melee discussion. I know the thought of playing competitive brawl for anymore than an a couple hours gives you all headahces.

I sort of gave up on the Smash Org. The response I was getting from everyone seemed to be best summed up by Vino, "If you do the work to get it started, then I will join up." You all like the idea, but I cannot get much help with getting it going. It feels like a dictatorship when I really have no idea what would be the best way to go about setting this thing up. It will be in the back of my mind for now. I will likely bring back my hype for it come next year.

exarch

doot doot doot
I read wall of texts. Pro-tip is to cut paragraphs as short as you can. Use collapse and list features to break it up even more.

UMad enrollment is ~42,000. UF has ~50,000. UCF has ~56,000. I guarentee that more than 2 more people who like brawl will join the Smash club. You may get people who loved melee originally and quickly join the melee scene, but I guarentee there will be many who stay with brawl.

Your assertion about no competitive brawl players is simply not true. We would like to assume that people who really like brawl would find smashboards, but some people haven't even heard of competitive gaming. The thought that a community might exist that loves smash as much as them hasn't even entered their mind.

Also, be the dictator. It only takes one person, do what you think is the best idea. Decisions don't come from communities, they come from individuals.

I promise you that starting a smash club at Umad will make a HUGE HUGE difference in the scene in Madison. I'd do it myself, but I don't attend the school. It's important to do it before the beginning of next year. That's when you'll have the new students looking for smash challenges. Probably by this time most have given up on a "Smash club." If you don't have it established before the beginning of next year, you'll basically miss out on an entire year of potential recruits.

I thought you could not get access to online at home. Working late much?

There are still a few things I need work out first that I still am not sure how to work out. The biggest thing is trying to make it look organized in a formal way so it gets established. The rest is on "what if" scenarios.
-If we stay too small, where could we still meet all the time.
-How can I expect people to carry a freaking TV all the way across campus if we cannot get a hold of anything from the school.
-How easy would it be to get stuff from the school or reserve a location weekly.
-If we do expand, the issues of organization become problomatic because I cannot answer how I can get access to more equipment.

I am the sort of person that wants a fully worked out plan when doing something like this. I would rather not wing it, then it becomes a disaster.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I can say with almost total certainty that you will be able to reserve a room weekly and that your college has TV's to rent

There is probably a better term for it, but the endless cracks about brawl to me come off as negative. The biggest thing I am getting at is what you said. You all would rather not play competitive brawl. It's a party game to you guys and anything after a couple hours it's back to melee.

@spikes: I guess I have been talked into another round of trying to talk to the campus.

Landry

Smash Ace
Everyone's Reaction: "Wall of text! I will skip over this!"
My Reaction: I know you all will not read this whole thing and instead avoid it or glance through it :awesome:

:glare: That is the problem though Exarch. Melee will still be the biggest influence here. Brawl has no chance to get started. Even if people start playing, you have said yourself that competitive play is a hard sell to begin with. Then we have sync, culvers, vino, exarch, sanchaz and john who all hate on brawl openly. Say only two other people join up with us regularly and they want to do compeitition. They will find that no competitive brawl players exist for miles around save for one. Instead they will see an already established melee community that hates on brawl (plus, we have a lack of set-ups). How long do you think people will stay with brawl before going over to melee and leaving brawl behind? I suppose there could be the chance that there might be people like me who will be willing to play both competitively, but I doubt it. People will commit to either all brawl or all melee if it was there. I would likely do all brawl if the community was here. Staying in Madison though has certainly turned me into a competitive player on all fronts of smash though.

I have given up any hopes of finding other competitive players with brawl. If they are interested, they would have already gotten competitive through wifi. If they were interested in getting offline, they would have worked their way into here like I did. Anyway, back to melee discussion. I know the thought of playing competitive brawl for anymore than an a couple hours gives you all headahces.

I sort of gave up on the Smash Org. The response I was getting from everyone seemed to be best summed up by Vino, "If you do the work to get it started, then I will join up." You all like the idea, but I cannot get much help with getting it going. It feels like a dictatorship when I really have no idea what would be the best way to go about setting this thing up. It will be in the back of my mind for now. I will likely bring back my hype for it come next year.
Man, I haven't viewed this thread in so long... I hear you man, when I lived in Madison I felt much the same way about the Brawl community (turns out NH is even worse...). Not much you can really do about it though. But hey, when I come home I would love to do some Brawl smashfests. Maybe we could set something up around the holidays.

I will likely be heading home myself for the holidays, but yeah, we will have to try to get something to work whenever we can.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Because you guys totally respect Brawl and totally aren't *******s about the game constantly. =/

That being said, I'll see if I can come down. Told Oro last smashfest that I couldn't really play melee because I'd have to drive 2 hours to the nearest event in order to play a game I'm subpar at. Now I'd only have to drive an hour and a half :p

exarch

doot doot doot
@Xeylode: In response to your questions, I would say that finding the answers to them would probably become much easier once your organization exists, because you have some authority when you say to university people "I'm the president of the smash club, how could I do this?" But I understand your hesitancy if you're more into planning.

Actually you could say that now and probably be ok. If someone questions you, you can respond about how it's not exactly made yet, but will be around in the next month or two. Chances are you won't get questions though, only answers.

As for Xeylode and Landry, your breaks probably won't coincide perfectly. I'm sure there'll be at least a day or two for it. And you can do something about it. Start a smash club. Be aggressive in searching.

Sponge: What? we aren't *******s about the game constantly. Ugh. Brawl is terrible, garbage game. Seriously no competitive merit at all. lol xp

My stance on brawl is just that there's no risk vs reward mechanism/dynamic that significantly contributes to the gameplay. Thus, it is not particularly exciting.

Culvers

Smash Apprentice
oh cool a smashfest thread. Posted in WI thread but will put here too. Won't make it this week or next.
Hopefully next time I go I see some of exarch's potentials, LOA, or that dude I played at RoW that said he was from madison and wanted to go to these.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I find Brawl more fun to play than to watch, while I find melee more fun to watch than to play. Hopefully that changes eventually :p

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Just play Fox and get really technical. Melee requires 0 mental capacity. Everyone just jams on their buttons really fast mindlessly... God I love stereotypes. :laugh:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I really don't find Melee as fun as Brawl, not related to me being bad at Melee more so there are smaller things I don't like about it that makes me not like it as much.

I do want to get into the melee scene more, I like the game and enjoy playing it even if I prefer Brawl.

People can think what they want and I'll respect it, provided they don't say BS about one game or another.

exarch

doot doot doot
What are those small things, Red? I'm honestly curious, not setting you up to troll you.

Ok so this week it's Erik, Ryan, Vino (lol) from the U? John and Frank said probably not, right?

Then Matt and Jason.

Is Sponge coming this week? Jordan you could come on a week where Erik's gonna be around, that way y'all could play brawl against each other some.

So I count 5 people?

EDIT: Oh yea in case we don't remember. Starting around 6. I'll be at the U to pick up people at 5:45. Chadbourne like always.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What are those small things, Red? I'm honestly curious, not setting you up to troll you.
Ok, I'll tell. I hope no one else trolls me or something for this but alright.

I hate how most characters can just Dtilt or Dsmash to stop people from grabbing the ledge. Some characters in brawl have some ridiculous ledge grab range, but I feel like everyone in Melee as terrible range and gets knocked out from grabbing it by just Dtilting above the ledge. Not only that but the game itself has the static feeling to it, where as Brawl while slower feels a lot smoother to me when playing.

I think the character balance feels worse, I know this is coming from the guy who likes the game with a borderline banable character, MK, but outside of that it feels like the cast after that is a lot better off balance wise. I mean I see MJGs have a lot more diversified results. Melee doesn't seem to have the same variety. Even ignoring that I like the larger cast that feels close to each other, even with the outlier at the top and the ones at the bottom. I like roaster balance, it's one of the main reasons I hate Marvel vs Capcom 2.

It annoys me to no end how stuck up some Melee players get. Eighteenspikes, Mundungo, Dragmire, and Oro were really the only people who I got a better vibe from and got me to like the game again. Even if learning to play Roy again no matter how bad he is, I feel better about it even when I lose all the time when I can enjoy the community around instead of the people who keep saying, "Brawl players suck" on forums and annoy me to no end.

I realize these are piety, selfish, subjective reasons why I have problems with Melee. But this is really how I feel about the game itself and I can't really lie about it when someone asks me about it. I don't mean to offend anyone by this or come off as a whiny little moron. This is just how I feel about it.

Melee is a great game and I'm very happy that I can play it, I just prefer Brawl.
I just really hope no one take this the wrong way.

Quaz

Smash Master
ofcourse not bro. you play what you prefer. I'll have you know that I don't disrespect brawl players for playing the game they prefer

Yeah melee's edgeguard game can suck for characters like falcon/ganon, as they can get hit pretty easily no matter how easily they try to sweetspot.. HOWEVER, you can learn how to SDI and ledgetech as you get hit, thus giving you a chance. Sure, you're taking damage and all, but any damage is better than losing a KO. Also more characters CAN sweet spot the ledge without getting hit at all.(or with characters like peach and puff, just recover above the stage). Hopefully this will help you potentially enjoy melee a little more, you just gotta get that timing down man. It'll make ya feel amazing once you get the hang of it.

Quaz

Smash Master
roy is fun, if you ever go to one of these smashfest exarch's roy is boss and will teach you his ways (Spikes has a boss roy too, if he ever comes to one of these again)

roy can be pretty rough though, he sucks against floaties I'll just throw that out there. He also can get edgeguarded pretty easily by random *** moves O_o like bowser's bair.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I don't think that the balance is necessarily worse in Melee. You still see over half of the cast used in tournament, but the thing is, the game is old. The tier list is well established, matchups are polished, and lower tier mains either quit, move onto a higher tier character, or just use their low tiers for winnable matchups.

Brawl's metagame is still in it's infancy, and you will begin to see a clear line of seperation between viable and unviable eventually. It is easier to get away with playing bad characters in the early stages of a metagame development. As matchups evolve, simple tactics might make a lot of characters worse than they even are now.

Imo Melee is more balanced at the highest levels of play, sans some Sheik vs "insert lower tier character" matchups. It's just an opinion though, so it really doesn't matter. lol. MK is dumber than anyone in Melee by comparison as well. I no longer know who to believe is the best in Melee, I honestly see 5 characters that are ridiculous enough to be the best.

Top Bottom