• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MA Power Rankings (melee)/General Discussion

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
You should put the current list at the top of the page and keep a record of old lists as well

th0rn

Smash Lord
becuase Irish mafia is better than all of you?

LOL

who the fack are the panelists?

but rlly, I agree with the list. Altho, irish mafia should go to more tournies outside his region.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
We were the panelists. :p

But we went on 99% who people won/lost to so there couldn't be much bias... Everyone agreed on the same list except Irish Mafia, who put himself above Roman...

If you want to be a panelist, you and a few other people from Maine would probably make better panelists than us.

Spife

Smash Master
"No, a power ranking would be good! Trust us! It'll help motivate players!"

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Power Rankings

1. Yedi
2. Roman
3. The Irish Mafia
4. Kyu Puff
5. ArcNatural

Someone tell me this is a joke, please. This is horrible.

Yedi
Roman
Arc
Kyu
Mafia

Yedi deserves first, especially with how he's been playing lately. so I wont touch that.

Roman after Yedi is good and whatnot.

The issue arises here.

I know that Kyu is really good against other players (especially when he gets a grab), but putting him above Arc is.... ugh. No. I'm not trying to bring Kyu down, because I know he can play well and does play well. Just that in my experience with the two of them, Arc is the better player.

Mafia shouldn't be so high. Having beaten JesiahTEG is great and all, but I've witnessed firsthand how inconsistent Jesiah is, so any "Mafia is ****ing amazing and is sooo much better" claims should be taken with a grain of salt. Or an entire salt shaker.
Don't take that in a bad way, James. You're improving and I'm happy for you and I definitely want to see you keep it up.

Those are my thoughts on the PR.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Do you know if anyone from MA could house me from 26-27 or one of those days and is going to SOTP and/or GU? I want to go to one / both and want to see if I can just get housing & a ride instead of figuring out a bunch of other stuff. Obviously I could pay for gas fees and all that good stuff. (whatever money wise)

Just let me know or point me in the right direction if you can :X

Thanks.
Message I sent to Yedi. If I can't get housing, it's fine. I'll just save up for APEX or something later this year. For some reason I just felt that going to MA would be fun and these two tournaments look ****.

$_$ just felt like posting to all of MA and not just one person.
- slox

[picked this thread because it said gen. discussion and wasn't sure if the WPI thread was suitable. that and you guys don't have a spam / CT like thread.]
and I might be taking Greyhound to this depending on whats happening. (I live in Southern CT so I'm about 2HR away(driving) from Foxboro)

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
this is not really the topic lol, but

have you asked in the CT thread for ppl planning on going?

roman, how far do you live from him? You should consider driving him. I would house people, but theres a huge party happening in my apartment that weekend so i doubt the conditions would be very suitable. Matts gone so no housing from him. Umm... can't really think of anyone else except for Kyu puff and i'm not sure if he's willing to house people.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
irish mafia and I started at the same time =D,

(actually i went to one scrubby tourney before him and beat 3 8 year olds including spife[**** ****?] but then didn't play anyone at till the next tourney that was Irish's first.)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i've never made it out of pools @ any tourny i've been to, and have placed higher than last in brackets only @ the two SMB i went to. i'm pro get @ me.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
because the only notable win I have is jessiah, right guys?

idk before I post something stupid I'd like to remind everyone that I have quite the ego when it comes to rankings, so everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.
Matt, I don't think my ranking is based entirely off my beating Jesse. I think I got there because most of the panelists have played me recently and they have an pretty accurate picture of where I am in my game right now. You haven't, and don't.
Personally, I thought Arc shouldn't be considered in the first place due to inactivity, but rules are rules and he is, but the bottom line is he is rusty as hell. If we're discussing potential, as in "how well would X do at a tournament", then we might as well put Elen at the top of the list.
I don't want to need to argue my way over Kyu. No offense to him, I just think we've already done that.

I'll probably edit this later, wish me luck on my math/history finals

dudutsai

Smash Lord
LOL Cogsmooch.

Been meaning to say this for a while, inactivity should NOT put you lower on the rankings.... Inactivity takes you completely off. Unless you really think everyone ranked 1-4 would outperform him, I have no idea why Arc is still on the list/so low on the list.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
People were arguing against arcnatural because his performance this session was subpar (likely due to lack of tournament attendance) and everyone else arguably outperformed him. There would be an argument for him to be higher if old rankings were retroactive however some people argued against this.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Matt, I don't think my ranking is based entirely off my beating Jesse. I think I got there because most of the panelists have played me recently and they have an pretty accurate picture of where I am in my game right now. You haven't, and don't.

I'll probably edit this later, wish me luck on my math/history finals
That's actually not the reason at all. You're there solely because of your wins, which amount to more than just Jesse. I already talked to Matt about this, although he doesn't really seem to buy it.

We did the rankings based on objective factors, like who you beat and lost to, NOT subjective factors like "I played x and y and x seemed better." That would introduce a ******** amount of bias, especially because the people who are ranked are the ones making the rankings. Matt might perceive Arc to be better than us, but unless Arc demonstrates it in a competitive setting there's really no proof that he would outperform us at tournaments.

btw, I think we might have the same finals schedules lol...

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
LOL Cogsmooch.

Been meaning to say this for a while, inactivity should NOT put you lower on the rankings.... Inactivity takes you completely off. Unless you really think everyone ranked 1-4 would outperform him, I have no idea why Arc is still on the list/so low on the list.
I pretty much agree with this.

Is there a retroactive timetable for tourney results that the panel uses? Last 3 months? 6?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
That's actually not the reason at all. You're there solely because of your wins, which amount to more than just Jesse.
lol this, if we didn't do it off your wins and instead did it on our perception of yur skill, yud probs be much lower lol... i'm not tryna be a **** or anything, just honest

@cog: There was a ranking session which included the tourneys in the first post. The problem with Arc's ranking is that it's seems like his old place on the list didn't hold any weight in determining the new ranking. Which is where the retro-activity problems come in

ZoSo

Smash Champion
if we didn't do it off your wins and instead did it on our perception of yur skill, yud probs be much lower lol...
LOL. Qft.

James, you want people to acknowledge you and that's great, but talking yourself up is just going to annoy people. Let your play speak for itself. If you don't think you're being given due credit... so what? Keep winning and people eventually have to come around.

That said, I honestly don't think you're better than anybody else on the list with you, so it's funny to me that you think you deserve to be higher.

Also, Dazwa 2good.

Spife

Smash Master
James, you want people to acknowledge you and that's great, but talking yourself up is just going to annoy people. Let your play speak for itself. If you don't think you're being given due credit... so what? Keep winning and people eventually have to come around.
I love this advice/mentality/philosophy. Let your game talk for you, not your stats.

inb4 spifeyoulovethatcauseyousuck.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
Hey, trashtalking works as a meta-game tactic, and the man is entitled to his opinion.

Also dazwa, I wanna play your kirby for serious.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I love Dave and his posts.
I miss him so.

WNY thinks Mafia is absolutely terrible. It's kind of funny.

We did the rankings based on objective factors, like who you beat and lost to, NOT subjective factors like "I played x and y and x seemed better." That would introduce a ******** amount of bias, especially because the people who are ranked are the ones making the rankings. Matt might perceive Arc to be better than us, but unless Arc demonstrates it in a competitive setting there's really no proof that he would outperform us at tournaments.
*sigh*

ATTN: Everyone. Raise your hand if you don't think Kyu Puff, Irish Mafia, Roman and Yedi are ALL better than Arc.

Anyone who thinks all 4 of you are better players than Arc clearly have not played Arc.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Thinking Arc is better than somebody isn't the same as thinking they should be higher than that person on the list.

Top Bottom