• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lyn (Fire Emblem) Discussion Thread

FireBomb

Smash Lord
And there's nothing wrong with swords. If that's how they're made, that's how they should play. Who says there ought to be a limit? At least we're getting somewhere here with female swordusers! You'd think that's enough out of the ordinary.

Ayaame

Smash Cadet
lyn for brawl... ftw.

Lyn would *NOT* be sheik v2.0, or marth v2.0. notice that there's a trend among the high-top tier characters; they're fast. fox, falco, sheik, marth, c falcon, people like them... they're FAST. but they have another element to them... how many moves are as strong as fox's usmash, falco's dair? marths fsmash, sheik and cfalcons fairs? exactly... the top tier broken characters arent just fast, they're strong as heck too.

so how do you balance lyn? well, just like how shes balanced in FE7! make her a wimp! if shes in brawl (WHICH SHE DEFINITELY SHOULD BE T_T!!!!!!!!!) then she'd be fast... running speed like captain falcon. she'd be good at keeping her distance with a bow, but it'd be incredibly weak... an annoyance, much like falco's lasers or peach's turnips, not a primary damage dealing device like y link's bombs. her ground moves would have almost no lag, however, her aerials would have a decent amount... try swinging a katana at someone while in the air. its not the most graceful of things. despite this however, lyn would be light and floaty, and would cover great distance with her jumps, making her an aerial player.

her kills would be focused on racking up a lot of damage (120%~ish) then going in for a finisher or comboing people off the edge and using a great recovery to make it back. (this would be her only low % kill, another thing that almost all high-top tier characters possess, and it would be incredibly hard to pull off.)

her sword would be the mani katti, not the ******** sol katti. that thing didnt fit her style at all, imo. it would have less range than marth... it would go up to the furthest back part of the "tipper" range on his sword. lyn wouldnt have a sweetspot, because she doesnt swing that way. (bad pun intended -.-) however, some moves would hit with the reverse side of her katana, thus doing almost no damage but decent knockback compared to hitting with the front.

and, shes fast. really fast. so fast she can TELEPORT!!!!!!! i'll add that in with my moveset that i'm gonna be posting tho.

All in all, lyn is not a typical speed fighter. shes incredibly weak, light, and floaty, so shes easy to KO but her recovery is really good so if shes not knocked off the edge, chances are she'll make it back. but even if she does, her game is bad, despite her speed. shes gonna take a LOT of control, just to make her a mid-tier level character. her attacks will all have horrible damage (1-10% on ALL of them) and her combo game will be kinda bad, even though she relies on it, due to the fact that her aerials will have a decent amount of lag (not landing lag, there will be almost none of that making for decent SHFFLs, however with lower range u cant spam those as you will get shieldgrabbed or punished in some other equally evil form), meaning it'll be tough to chain them together, and only a few moves will pop them up into decent combo range. to win, she'll have to rely on pestering opponents with arrows into dashing at her, then use her speed to dashdance around them to go in for a grab into combos.

All right, now for my super magnificent uber lyn moveset. Keep in mind, lyn will not be broken. i'll cry if she is. i want her to be underpowered as all heck, so that only the truly loyal will play as her, not the noobs riding the bandwagon to beat a tournament (like all the top tiers now are, and dont flame me for that, i play fox and marth as my mains -.-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~GROUND ATTACKS~~~~~~~~~~

Neutral A: a swift, tri swipe combo. does 2%-1%-3% damage, with the last hit the only one with any knockback, albeit very little. sends opponents on kind of a slide, allowing for easy retaliation.

Tilt Forward A: Lyn takes a large step forward and brings her sword down in front, then back up into its neutral position. the first hit of the two does 6% damage and very little knockback, similar to the 3rd hit of the neutral A combo. The second hit, however, pops them up by hitting them with the blunt side of the sword, doing 2% damage and putting them into decent combo range. with proper DI however, the second hit can be avoided at mid percents, so this is perfect for opening up combos after a kill.

Tilt Down A: Lyn crouches down a bit and does a sweeping kick in front of her. does 4% damage and pops people up in the air and keeps them in front of you, and can be used as a weak semi spike for an edgeguard.

Tilt Up A: Lyn arcs her sword over her head, but not like marth's up tilt. She swings it from behind her towards her front, and close to the front slams it down and slides it quickly in front of her to create knockback in the front and top. Hitting in the front sends them too far out to combo well, however hitting them with the top puts them into decent combo range assuming you hit them out of the air. Does 4-5% damage.

Smash Forward A: Lyn sweeps her sword in the air in front of her, but as she returns the sword back up completing a circle, she does a flip and a kick in case the sword swipe missed. The swipe does 9% damage and decent knockback for a good finisher at high (120%) percents, and the kick makes a great finisher at mid-high percents (80-100%) but does a measly 2% damage.

Smash Down A: Lyn falls to the ground and swings her legs in front of her, but as soon as she completes that motion she swipes her bow backwards behind her to hit both in front and behind her. Both attacks do 8% damage with the knockback sending opponents upwards a decent amount, however using this as a finisher only works at very high percents (140-150%)

Smash Up A: Lyn strikes at whatever is above her with the butt end of her sword, then follows it up with a slash, jumping into the air. The jump leaves her at about short hop length, and from here she can do an aerial to the helpless opponent, assuming they are an idiot and cant DI at all. The first hit does 3% damage and the slash does 7% damage.

Dash A: Lyn moves the sword down low with the blade facing up and does an uppercut with it. At the end she is standing still, and the opponent is in decent combo range however the move itself has a lot of lag and quite low range due to the position of her hands. Does 4% damage.

~~~~~~~~~~Aerial Attacks~~~~~~~~~~

Neutral Aerial: Lyn kicks forward for decent knockback on the enemy. This is more like Luigi's dair than Link's nair; it's not a sex kick, however it does decent damage and has great knockback for comboing. Does 9-10% damage and puts people up in the air in front of you. has very low startup lag, only a few frames, but the ending lag makes it pretty tough to just chain these. Landing lag is minor.

Forward Aerial: Lyn slashes her sword horizontally in front of her for about 3-4% damage and very little knockback. It's major advantage is that this move is FAST; her fastest aerial. Has almost no startup, ending or landing lag, resulting in a possibility of hitting 2 or 3 of them on a falling opponent. Repeated strikes change the direction of the attack from horizontal to her right to vertical downwards.

Backwards Aerial: Lyn spins around to face her opponent but slashes downwards, resulting in a weak, but nonmeteor spike that does 5% damage. It's not an effective finisher, however it can send characters who are strongest when above you (kirby, falco, etc.) to the ground where you can combo them more safely. Has decent-bad startup and ending lag, and pretty horrible landing lag, as she needs to recover from swinging her sword into the ground in an awkward position.

Down Aerial: Lyn kicks below her for a measly 4% damage and crappy, useless knockback. It really serves no purpose except as an "OMFG GET OUT OF MY WAY" last resort type move. Has pretty bad lag all around.

Up Aerial: Lyn slaps whoever's above her with the blunt side of her sword for 3% damage and decent knockback backwards. Can be used as a finisher if you pull it off when edgeguarding off the ledge. Doesn't help much for comboing, but can be useful to land. Has almost no ending lag, but a decent amount of startup and landing lag.

~~~~~~~~~~Special Moves~~~~~~~~~~

Neutral B: Shoots an arrow (zomg.) Requires no charge, but you can angle the bow up or down with the control stick while you have it out. A nifty thing about it is it does 1-2% damage to people on the ground, but 4-6% damage on people coming in from the air. The knockback is about the same as Falco's laser, but it pops them up a little so it cant be used against recoveries. The distance is very far, if you shot from one edge of FD to the other it would just barely make it over the edge.

Forward B: LYN TELEPORTS. She goes a little less than rolling distance in front of her, and can change directions during the teleport. When used on the ground you can only go in front or behind her, but in the air you can go up, upleft, upright, left, right, downleft, downright, or down. Subsequent teleports in the air dont go as far, however, they still add to an excellent recovery, as you can use 2 or 3 before you start losing height. A lot of times she will be back on the edge with this before she even uses her Up + B. This is the make or break move for her; it allows her to combo characters almost indefinitely if used extremely well, and with proper reflexes, extremely limits her opponents DI options. This can interrupt the lag on most of her aerials, but has bad lag upon hitting the ground. There is no attack as a part of this move. When not using it to go from the air into the ground, there is virtually no lag, making it a replacement for her wavedash, which will be crappy. It will be her main way of moving around the stage. However, every use of it adds 1% damage to you, to balance out its uberness.

Up B: Lyn lunges forwards with her sword in front of her, like the hits of the mani katti critical kind of. Does similar damage and knockback to missing the sweetspot with marth's up B, but it covers more horizontal distance and about the same vertical distance. About 4% damage.

Down B: Lyn does a 360 degrees slash around her, but very quickly. Has horrible lag, especially when used in the air, and does decent damage (7%) and crappy knockback. With a bad startup lag, it is easy to be shieldgrabbed out of.

~~~~~~~~~~Grabs~~~~~~~~~~

Grab Attack: She pokes them in the stomach with the butt of her sword :D 2% per hit.

Forward Throw: She lifts them up, slashes them and then kicks them away. Does a total of 8% damage, with decent knockback, around the same knockback as peach's back throw.

Back Throw: She kicks them backward; HARD. A good finisher around 100-110%, however, it has hitlag frames so it can be SDI'd, and is not always reliable. Does 10% damage.

Up Throw: She tosses them up. Whoop-dee-doo. 6% damage, cant chaingrab with it, sets up nicely for combos though.

Down Throw: Lyn throws her victim to the ground, stops on his/her back and shoots 3 arrows into them before kicking them away. Does 12% damage and decent knockback but is techable at the kick.

~~~~~~~~~~Defenses~~~~~~~~~~

Lyn has a crappy shield.

Lyn has a crappy air dodge.

Lyn has a teleport; therefore, her roll is crappy.

Lyn has a crappy spot dodge.

~~~~~~~~~~Final Smash~~~~~~~~~~

I don't really care. I think the final smash is stupid. But, since I have to put SOMETHING here, I'm gonna go with the MANI KATTI (not Sol Katti) Critical, but performed with the Sol Katti. The Mani Katti critical has such a cooler animation imo. It'd hit everyone for like, -40% damage and the world would end or something like that. Depends how nintendo makes the final smashes work >.>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, that's my Lyn movelist. Lyn for brawl!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind, she'll be low-mid tier. Just fast. Not strong at all. And it's good that way; only the dedicated will use her. :chuckle:

NukeA6

Smash Master
If Lyn is in Brawl, so will a Japn-only Lord. Just remember that Japan isn't fond of the GBA FEs.

To make things fair, they will have a Lord of their own. I know Sakurai isn't going to be a-hole to them.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see Lyn in Brawl, because
a) shes a girl, and Smash needs more of em'
b) she wields a katana, always a good thing
c) shes cute
Of course, veteran Fire Emblem characters like Ike are much more likely, but still, a guy can dream

camo-man

Smash Cadet
:O Those characteristics/movelist seems kinda harsh..... I think there should be at least SOME advantage... I mean, even Pika has the tail spike thingie along with Pichu, Mewtwo has the uber ShadowBall, etc...

Ayaame

Smash Cadet
no >.> with how fast she is, any kind of advantage would lead to her being broken. her major advantage is her speed... but it'd take a lot of skill to control it well :p

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
I also think that Lyn should take roys spot but its true that SSB dose have a good penny of swords man but i mean who dosent like to play with a swordsman or swordswoman lol but i mean i would like to see Nabouru if they try to stick a sword woman in lol

Ayaame

Smash Cadet
Well, the "speed" isn't really going to be showing with all the laggy moves the guy put in his movelist...
If you were responding to me, about criticism about my movelist, i think I'd know about it a bit better >.> if it was about someone else's movelist, which one?

but on my movelist, she has laggy aerials, however her ground moves and landing lag (not windown lag) give her a pretty good ground game, as well as the arrows for keeping people at range so she can reach the ground easier. The aerials arent the best for comboing (save the F-air) but are pretty decent as "gtfo" kind of moves to make space.

Also... I made a little .gif >.>;;; its not done but... LYN FOR BRAWL!

http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lynforbrawlyy3.gif

also, if someone could tell me how to get it to loop, that would own >.> i'm using adobe imageready 7.0

Epsilonis

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been said but I really picture lyn having her dash attack a horizontal sword slash from the sheath, shiek-style. Shoot fast a short distance and attack. O_o

JoshuaAmaron

Smash Cadet
Lyn would be my top choice for a FE character. Even if she is a sword wielder I believe Sakurai has enough imagination to make her move set unique. :D Like other posters have said, make her faster but less powerful, or throw in kicks into her move set. Who knows?

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
I don't see a huge problem with having too many sword users, considering there are so many sword styles and types that they're essentially used as different weapons.

Since Roy's definetly going(he was just an advertisment for FE6 anyway), Lyn would be great for taking his place.

However, making her a clone would be very dissapointing in comparison to the style she shows in FE7.

All in all, I'm more on Hector's side, but Lyn would be nice to have(and we need more female characters anyway).

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
Lyn has green hair, which guarantees her appearance in Brawl. There are subtle signs of this green on the official site. (I think I should post that in the DOCTOR MARIO RETURNING!?!?!?!?! thread)

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
Lyn.....I wish..

Don't get me wrong....I love Lyn, like, deffinatly my fave fire emblem lord of all time :p She looks amazing :p and could be an amazing fighter. but.... FE7 lords have little to no chance of becoming brawl characters...

first off......there's 3......and one cannot be included without controversy and arguing about the other 2......so unless all 3 are included, then it's unlikely ( And i seriously doubt all 3 would be included.....with marth and other possible lords....to many characters...)

But the major reason is due to FE7 being looked down upon in Japan.....none of the FE7 lords are liked there, because the game was considered to be too much easier and different than previous fire emblem games... So unfortunatly, Lyn's chances are slim to none...

Lyn has green hair, which guarantees her appearance in Brawl. There are subtle signs of this green on the official site. (I think I should post that in the DOCTOR MARIO RETURNING!?!?!?!?! thread)
hmm.....mabey in my next pic I post there....mabey.......

Sandy

Smash Champion
One of the three leading characters in the first American-released Fire Emblem title, Lady Lyndis is freaking sweet–she uses a katana and a fighting style very different from the other sword-fighters out there, meaning she could kick some can in a different way, focusing more on close-range quick attacks. She’s just a cool character and would be pretty slick and quick.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
La di da~

*Lyn actually doesn’t fight with her sword much, keeping it under its sheath most of the time, and instead using kick attacks. For certain smash attacks, she uses it though*

Neutral B: Lyn dashes forward, clutching her sword to her sheath, moving so fast, that it looks like a blurry line. After a set distance, or coming into contact with her opponent, she will draw her sword out, and make a horizontal arc-slash. The attack itself has a fairly large range, and is also quick, but the damage and knock back are lacking. Lyn will also stop if she encounters an edge, instead of running right off. To be specific, its distance is slightly longer than a Falcon Kick

Forward B: Lyn pulls out a bow, and fires three quick arrows. The arrows can’t be charged like links, but the directions can be tilted a bit. The effect of being hit by the arrows is similar to that of a paper fan, or Sheik’s needles. The attack itself is very quick, but it takes a second for Lyn to put the bow back, leaving her slightly open if she misses.

Up B: This attack has two different styles, one for in the air, and one for on the ground. If used in the air, Lyn makes a third jump up, disappearing with her speed, and then appears slightly higher and farther to the side, slashing the air. After this, she enters a free fall state. If used on the ground, Lyn will quickly hop up, disappearing again, and then reappear behind her opponent, while in mid air. After a delayed second, she will slash at them, and then fall back to the ground. The move has decent damage, and can be used to clear the gap between herself and an opponent, but do to the delay effect, most opponents can dodge the strike that is involved with it. The destination air version of the attack can be controlled somewhat, but not much.

Down B: Lyn exits her normal stance, standing straight up, and folding her arms. She then stops this, and enters back into her normal stance. For around 5 seconds, the next strike that hits Lyn will automatically cause Lyn to warp/dodge the attack, and appear either 5 steps to the left, or 5 to the right, depending on the user. This move cannot be started in mid air, and if she warps in mid air, the distance is lessened, and she enters into a free fall mode. Also to note, the attack doesn’t work against projectiles, and will automatically cause her to lose the counter.

Final Smash: To be blunt, this is Lyn’s critical attack with Sol Katti from FE7. She starts it out, by forming into thee clones of herself (formed by her speed, presumably) which warp in front of each opponent, and slash them. (If there is only two or one opponent, the clones corresponding to them do not manifest) If the slash connects (if the opponent is lucky, they can dodge) it will enter into a semi cut-scene style attack, much like Link’s. As stated before, this attack mirrors her critical from FE7, in which many speed clones of herself slash the enemy from multiple angles.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
That's a very articulate way you described it there, Pieman0920...Lyn seems liek a very good addition they way you described it.

But I do agree, there are lots of people with swords now, and I'm sure they might throw out Roy or Young Link...Lyn has a slight chance of getting in. I'm sure she'd be a very good jump height because of her agility.

But as for her moveset, has there been a full one made yet, or just for the B moves? Also, is she just going to use the Sol Katti for her Final Smash, or for all her attacks?

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Marth, Ike, and Lyn... That would be enough to satisfy me..

Ike is confirmed... Marth is highly likely... all we need is Lyn...

I don't think any more than 3 FE chars are needed though (though sothe would be cool :( )

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yeah, we don't want too many Fire Emblem characters running around. (I'm not just limiting it to Lords, I'm sure some people want to see a Sage or something, though those chances are low...) 3 seems like a good number.

I imagine Lyn's ground A Smash would be her standard attack as a lord. I think the way Pieman0920
described it (with many of her attacks a series of swift kicks and such) is pretty accurate, with the sword being used for some--but not too many--attacks. If they still incorporate dodges in Brawl, I think Lyn's wavedash would be of medium to high length, if she were to be setup as a speedy character.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i actually don't think marth is very likely, i'd say hes got 50/50 shot of returning, and i think the black knight will make an appearance pc in this game also

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Pieman, you're Lyn moveset is cool, but seems a little overpowered. For starters, no one else who has a dash move (falcon kick, raptor punch, fox illusion) stops on an edge, they fall of and die, not kick, but you know what i mean.

The chances of Lyn (and other US lords) depends on if Sakurai considers Ike the US Lord or not. It's iffy because Ike is acknowledged in both US and Japan (weird right? same person liked by both), so if Ike is the US lord, we are not seeing Lyn, but if Ike is a "universal" lord, then Lyn may still see the Smash light of day.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yes, he was very well-received in FE9. I think he'd be like Master Hand was in both Smash Bros. series, someone who's tough, but you can never actually play as (besides using debug).

But since this is a topic about Lyn,how do you think she'd react to seeing the Black Knight, since he's not from FE7? Do you think everyone would have a different reaction (sort of like a cutscene in Melee), just the Fire Emblem characters, or the same base set reaction? You have to think about different costumes (you know, the different colors you can use for each character) for Lyn, you could use her peasant costume from FE7.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Maybe, but from subspace emissary characters will use their personal histories, and Lyn may or may not be in. I'm hoping for a magician from FE, because Brawl needs one.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
You have my support in that! Zelda could have been so much more if they had her use her magic correctly...I heard main lord from FE10 (the girl, not Sothe) can use magic. Hopefully, they won't screw it up, hm? I suppose they'd be skilled in range attacks...

But since Subspace Emissary is for shcaracter's personal histories, where does that leave Lyn? Do you think they'll put Lundgren (the main enemy from her storyline in FE7) in? I would say something like Nergal, but that seems a bit too iffy at this point. I think some Brigands would probably be thrown in, much like Goombas are in the Mushroom Kingdom, and since Lyn hates them all anyways...

If not, we can always hope for an Assist Trophy of her, right?

camo-man

Smash Cadet
Goooo Lyn! I just like the idea that someone would have a teleport slashing move. :D It's cool stuff, and she's a lord in the series too.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Oh, well if Subspace Emissary relies on personal histories, Lyn can be sort of set, with all the different enemies there were in FE7. I'm certain Nergal would be at the last part, or Master Hand, depending on the storyline of Brawl this time, if the main enemy is Master Hand.

That also bears the question though, would Lyn use the Mani Katti or the Sol Katti for her main attacks? Her Final Smash. no doubt, would be with the Sol Katti, but otherwise...?

I think if she used the Mani Katti, her attack range would be noticably shorter than the Sol Katti's, but quicker. That being said, if she used the Sol Katti, she would be able to attack more from a distance, but would be a little slower, as well.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Marth, Ike, and Lyn... That would be enough to satisfy me..

Ike is confirmed... Marth is highly likely... all we need is Lyn...

I don't think any more than 3 FE chars are needed though (though sothe would be cool :( )
ike marth lyn sounds pretty good. or ephraim.

soulz

Smash Cadet
More female characters are needed in the game, lyn , marth and ike would be good for representing the FE series.

Top Bottom