• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lyn (Fire Emblem) Discussion Thread

Pete278

Smash Lord
First off, a pic of Lyn for those who haven't seen her:

If that didn't convince you that she should be in, then I can't think of anything else to convince you :p. [/joke]

She's a new Fire Emblem character and since there are only two FE characters in SSBM, I think there should be a third. She may be yet another sword-wielder, but her style of wielding is different from the others, plus she's a girl sword-wielder :p, which the game also needs more of: female characters. I'd love to see her in SSBB, does anyone disagree or agree? Post your opinions here.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Well, with marth and Roy in the character roster, if Lyn does make an appearance somehow, I would hope she would have her own set of moves...
We don't need 3 clones of the same style. :p

Seeing that picture makes me want to play that game again.

GHOSTKING

Smash Cadet
They need characters with different weapons this time, although Lyn would be a nice addition.

Im a fool for swordsplay lmao

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Another Swordsman but atleast a nice one. Lyn wouldn't be a clone atleast.
I like her moves with the Mani Katii the most, although the cricital of the Sol Katii really would be good for a super move.

I like Ephariam more for Brawl but she isn't bad.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Lyn would be an awesome addition :O I can be see her having similar moves to the other Fire emblem characters. (I don't mean clone I mean similar, kinda like how Mario is to Luigi)

Takalth

Smash Ace
In Fire Emblem when she promotes, she gets the ability to use a bow, which gives options (Just make sure it doesn't work the same way as link's/pit's). She would definitely be faster than Marth or Roy, but probably wouldn't have the range. The could give the sword less arc than the other fire emblem characters but less lag time to make up for it. Throw in kicks as part of her move set.

All of that and she wouldn't even be close to a clone. Though Ephraim or Hector would be my top choices from FE, Lyndis would add a lot if did her right.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Hehe and her super won't be that hard to imagine. The critical as a Blade Lord says enough I guess? And giving her the Sol Katti would look awesome.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
True, would be nice to see someone wielding a spear or something. Like ZSSamus has a whipe now. Maybe an archer-only character like Will or Neimi or Innes. Sounds weird I know, but I think it could work out. Although, I think if they would take a FE character, then it would be a Lordling since they are better known than the other characters

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I agree, if they were going to add a female character from FE it should be Lyn. She's one of the best lords in any FE(at least the ones on GBA, didn't play PAR).

Pete278

Smash Lord
After reading the Nintendo forums, Lyn seems to have a giant fanbase, really giant, larger then any other character I've seen. Maybe Nintendo will read that and put her in? I sure hope so.

Zeklan

Smash Cadet
I think Roy should be taken out to make room for Lyn.
I like Roy, he was one of my first characters, but he is just a clone of Marth.
Lyn however, has a completely different style and therefore would have a completely different move set.
Plus, with Roy gone that would keep the amount of Swordsmen the same.

However, I'd rather see Ephriam.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
I'm torn. Lyn was one of my most wanted characters before info for SSBB came out, but now, I'm not sure whether having Ephraim, a newer FE character and a Lance user, meaning he could not be a clone, would be better. Then again, they could always take Roy out (which would still annoy me) and then put both of them in.

Decisions decisions...

Pete278

Smash Lord
Metaknight X said:
I'm torn. Lyn was one of my most wanted characters before info for SSBB came out, but now, I'm not sure whether having Ephraim, a newer FE character and a Lance user, meaning he could not be a clone, would be better. Then again, they could always take Roy out (which would still annoy me) and then put both of them in.

Decisions decisions...
And you think Lyn could be a clone because...? Her style is completely different from anyone else in the game, plus she does have a bow as well as sword.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Pete278 said:
And you think Lyn could be a clone because...? Her style is completely different from anyone else in the game, plus she does have a bow as well as sword.
I never said that she would be a clone, I just suggested that Nintendo COULD make her one (which would suck). And yes, I know she has a Bow and Arrow as well as a sword. That's one of the reasons why I want her. I just said that there was no way that Ephraim could be a clone due to his weapon, which no one else has (so far).

jpwalker123

Smash Apprentice
She seems like she would be a good addition to Brawl but i dont know.... If they still have Roy and Marth, they cant just keep adding Fire Emblem characters.

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
Argh... She's a female, and SSBB needs more females... but... she has a sword! Female, sword...

It is true that she plays nothing like link, marth, metaknight, pit, and ganondorf(?) would, (that's a lot of swords), but the bow seems like a link ripoff. Maybe if they took the bow off of link, since it's not really that useful, and replaced it with the wolf transformation... and made her bow stronger than link's... Yes, I can see it happening.

The question is, does Japan like her enough? Is she really that important?

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
Lyn is a swift sword user, she'd be similar to Marth in speed but her moves would be very different. If she was a clone it would suck. I definitely think Lyn is both important and popular enough to make it in the game, plus personally I want her in very much.

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
She doesn't even use the sword the same way, she's more of a samurai-esque-ish thing, I don't know. Sacae is supposed to be asian.

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
Baron_54 said:
She doesn't even use the sword the same way, she's more of a samurai-esque-ish thing, I don't know. Sacae is supposed to be asian.
Yes, she uses a Japanese style of swordplay I believe. Seeing how Nintendo has hinted at not really having too many clones in SSB, I think Lyn would be able to make it in as her own character.

Takalth

Smash Ace
As for the bow being a rip-off of link's, that's only if it works the same way. You could make it behave like a laser, you could allow tilting up or down, you could even give it physics similar to yoshi's egg (though preferably with a bit more range), and those are just some of the possibilities.

There are plenty of ways to implement a bow without being a repeat of link's.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They just could make Lyn's arrow much diffrent. Like no charging a little less range then Link's full loaded arrow but starting lag before the attack. Also I want Lyn being a little faster then Marth, maybe Sheik's speed goes fine for her. Still im not quitte sure if Lyn will make it. Seeing as she would probarly alot older in the time Roy lives in it would be pretty strange to see them both in one game.

magar

Banned via Administration
WTF? If your going to take out someone take out Marth insted of Good O' Roy.
In my hands Roy > Marth
Plus, I like Roys B charge attack than Marths even though it takes longer to charge

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
Even then, if not managed properly, it could feel like one. And It look s like turning into a wolf is an integral part of TP Link, so I don't know how Wolf Link could not be in SSBB.

Magar: Marth is a lot more popular in Japan than Roy, and has been in more games, including the first FE. He's more likely to return than Roy.

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
Like everyone else, I am torn. I'd LOVE to see more female characters in Brawl but, even though Lyn's style would be different than other sword-wierlders, the fact remains that she uses a sword. I'd much prefer to see someone using an axe or a spear...

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
xzakcorex said:
Like everyone else, I am torn. I'd LOVE to see more female characters in Brawl but, even though Lyn's style would be different than other sword-wierlders, the fact remains that she uses a sword. I'd much prefer to see someone using an axe or a spear...
So, Titania? no way, she's on a horse. Amelia? She'd be way too slow, unless... they concentrated on her recruit form. But she ain't that popular... a mage would be interesting, how about [insert name of one of 100000 female mages from FE]?

Pete278

Smash Lord
To all who say Lyn isn't popular enough:
Go suggest that on the Nintendo forum and see the swarm of angry people against you :p. One guy made a thread about Lyn, Toad and Krystal and it got taken over by Lyn-fans :p.

Also, an anima mage would be far too similar to normal Zelda for my liking.

GenG

Smash Lord
Lyndis isn't that popular, at least in Japan. In this poll you can see that she ranked 6th, so the upper characters have better chances to be in.

The poll

Of course this isn't decisive, as long Lyndis could provide a style of her own that should not be a problem.

Eirika (Sacred Stones) or Selika (Gaiden) are both girls and good additions. I want a female lord as well, and Lyndis may not be as popular in Japan but she does in the west (being the first Fire Emblem here and that).

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Lyns popular enough, in AMERICA! Many fanboys...

Were talking about Japanese popularity, where she not as popular.
Most popular Fire emblem characters so far are Sigurd, Oguma, and Ike.
Dont get your hopes up expecting lyn, you should be rooting for one of those characters, cause thats what its going to come down too.

GenG

Smash Lord
I can't see Sigurd in the game since he fought on a horse. About Oguma, I don't think a "minor" franchise like Fire emblem could repeat character from the same game (I'm surprised that Navare hasn't show in the poll yet). And about Ike, I'm all for it since his swordplay involves rude movements in a style of his own. Main lords should priorize over secondary characters.

I'd like to see Cecil too, not like a Marth clone but a totally new character. The bad thing is they fight in a pretty much similar way, being a "nimble lord" and that.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Not exactly

Celice fights with a Mounted style, he slashes his weapon- with force, opposed to stabbing. His country comes from a pro-dominate mount force.
Marth is a fencer. He stabs his blade- with finess.
Celice uses Swords and Spears, no fencer uses any other weapon besides a sword.
Celice is definately possible, but people tend to like Sigurd some reason.(I like Celice more but Sigurd has more of a chance if any of them)

And finally if Sigurd did show up(Very likely), he wont be on a horse. Sakurai said Sigurd was planned for melee but they chose Roy for advertising purposes. Hes definately possible.

GenG

Smash Lord
I don't think Celice could swap between the Tyrfing and a spear, he will surely use mainly the Tyrfing if he shows up.

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
GenG said:
Lyndis isn't that popular, at least in Japan. In this poll you can see that she ranked 6th, so the upper characters have better chances to be in.

The poll

Of course this isn't decisive, as long Lyndis could provide a style of her own that should not be a problem.

Eirika (Sacred Stones) or Selika (Gaiden) are both girls and good additions. I want a female lord as well, and Lyndis may not be as popular in Japan but she does in the west (being the first Fire Emblem here and that).
Agh, Eirika? She's too clone-risky and.. generic.

GenG

Smash Lord
Baron_54 said:
Agh, Eirika? She's too clone-risky and.. generic.
Maybe, but she is a total stabber-piercer to the core. Marth and Roy became slashers when promoted (especially Roy).

But nothing, if ONLY a girl lord were about to make it to Brawl, that should be Lyn.

magar

Banned via Administration
The truth is I didn't even know about fire emblem untill I unlocked Marth and looked at his trophy

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well, first I would like to thank you for posting a pic so that I don't have to run all over the net to find out who your talking about (^_^)
(Post pics people! It's better then just saying a name...show WHY they would be a good character with a pic and your statement...it works better for us who have never heard of the character.)

But yeah, I would realy like to see more females in the game and different kinds of sword play so I think she would be a great character.

But I would also like to see different weapons so thats way I would want to have Preasea from ToS in the game (now that they have 3th party characters). She fills both the need for a female and a Axe user...(Im not posting a pic of her because I don't want to get off subject but yeah, they should both be in.)

Baron_54

Smash Apprentice
GenG said:

The poll
Of course they would rate Nino 1st..
*cough*pedos*cough*

As for Presea... yeah, I really don't think so. She's no main character, in one game that wasn't such a hit. That is third party. Looks pretty bleak...

Top Bottom