• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

wool

Smash Ace
Haha at first I was like what is this platdashing
then it struck me. wow I am slow :p

Yeah "platdashing" is very effective with luigi. You can incorporate a lot of mindgames with it. Smashgod basically covered it all.

KING139

Smash Rookie
EDIT: Wrong account log in.
That was me, friend was logged in and forgot to log out.

Can someone enlighten me what a jab reset is? Isn't that when you jab when your opponent misses a tech or something?

Oracle

Smash Master
Sexy. Waveland combos always are.

That reminds me. The other day I was fighting my friends puff and I pulled off WD ftilt up->F smash

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Pakman, when (and on what characters) do you use jab resets with Luigi?

At first I was thinking ftilt to jab reset to up-B (or grab, or whatever) on fastfallers, but by the time the ftilt sends them into their tumble I figured the jab wouldn't force a getup. Thanks.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Jab resets, at least for me, are moves of opportunity. I never really plan them, but I can recognize when they can be used. After a jab reset it really depends on character and percent. Anything high and just shoryuken. Grabbing is usually a good option too. You can combo most characters out of a grab. Otherwise sh downair and try to get them off stage for an edge guard.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I concur with everything Pakman says above.

I
find it particularly useful against Fox/Falco/Falcon. They're fastfalleryish, so they just tend to fall into those situations more often. If you're too far to jab reset... well you aren't! WD -> jab

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I didn't know if anyone knew this, but if your cyclone gets interrupted while recovering, (needles, lasers, anything) you can do it once more each time it's interrupted. Pretty sexy for recovering. Mario and Doc can do this as well, but as we all know Luigi's is much cooler.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Did not know that, that's very cool, only thing is that I'm too slow to mash 14 times per second and actually gain anything decent :/

I'm being Pacman for halloween.

I'm playing a show (drumming) so I've dressed up my toms as inky, blinky, pinky and sue, got my kick looking like mrs pacman and I'm all yellow with a big hood and rain coat. The drumset is basically my costume haha

I'll see if I can get a pick to you after the show somehow. It's sexy XD

edit: So yeah halloween was sweeeeet
And I got pictures (or will have them via email from people) so once I figure out how to link pics or whatever I'll show you guys, it's soooo cuuuute!

And there's an old hockey teamate of mine that I saw last night that looks a LOT like an older version of you pakman. I was like "WTF is HE doing here?!" lol

And someone was Luigi last night and it looked GOOOOD

KING139

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think would team well with Luigi. My friend and I are thinking about starting a doubles team, He's a Marth main, but he's been playing Sheik in doubles with me. Any thoughts on how this might work out?

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
you want someone fast.
so fox, cfalcon, sheik can all do fine.
preferably fox since he is more "annoying" than the rest and in doubles you want to be as annoying as possible haha.

Fast isn't that important. Luigi can support well with his speed on the ground. Teaming with a Ganon is actually near broken in many situations.

Good finishers are what Luigi lacks, hence Falcon and Fox are great teamates for him. Everything Luigi does can combo into anything else and Fox and Falcon have the hard hits like Ganon but also that speed to add to it. Luigi also nullifies any gimping or comboing they could get in trouble with.

Sheik gives great burst killing the way Luigi does. Just hitting hard in general and great edgeguarding. They each send people off the stage OFTEN and deal damage FAST too.

Falco's only ever good in teams with Luigi. Shine = auto saving weegee. Luigi WD = no gimping or comboing Falco cause he can get there and save him. Lasers above and weegee below WDing = hilarious (though not really that good lol). RIDICULOUS COMBOS

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Falco's only ever good in teams with Luigi. Shine = auto saving weegee. Luigi WD = no gimping or comboing Falco cause he can get there and save him. Lasers above and weegee below WDing = hilarious (though not really that good lol). RIDICULOUS COMBOS
Falco WeeJee is good, but believe me, Falco is good in teams with non Luigi Characters... Fox comes to mind as the best example, but I honestly wouldn't even put Luigi in my top 5 favorite characters to team with (I'd rather have someone who can just kill people I shine and leave hanging like Ganon, Falcon, Jiggs).

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Falco WeeJee is good, but believe me, Falco is good in teams with non Luigi Characters... Fox comes to mind as the best example, but I honestly wouldn't even put Luigi in my top 5 favorite characters to team with (I'd rather have someone who can just kill people I shine and leave hanging like Ganon, Falcon, Jiggs).
However he would put Pakman as one of his top 5 favorite players to team with....

Fox is the ideal character for ANY character to team with...even other Foxes LOL
So that's a given for sure :D

Glad to hear you guys are gonna **** Falco Luigi some more. The top 2 favorite players I've teamed with are both Falcos. Once in tourney (we placed 2nd, though there were only 2 other big names there who were PKM and FalseFalco as the team that got first LOL) and once with Blundted_O10 just in a bunch of friendlies at Genesis where we played a good assortment of great players.

I just loooove Falco with my weegee. I know it inside out too though. XD

Pakman, you going to Pound 4 right?

Ka is expected there so be sure to find him. :)

The one thing that I know bothers some people about Jiggs is that she can mess up her teamates game. The situations can be avoided and I've never experienced myself it but it's something.

With a Ganon or Peach (as a dramatic example), Jiggs can hold them back from being as effective as they potentially could be. Whether it's spacing aerials or the usefulness of their given finishers.

A Fox on the other hand can't really get in the way in that sense. That's really the only reason I stand by Fox for that, it's only in particular situations but that nullifies Jiggs being always the best. :\

Edit: I'm not sure if that's clear...
Like spacing Fairs while floating with Peach or DJ fairing with Ganon. If Ganon is fair comboing someone across a part of the stage, Jiggs could have trouble getting out of the way if she's in her own little battle with the other teamate in that direction. Or Peach and Jiggs not really having the necissary burst kill power to eliminate another Peach as early as they would like to.

Fox can kill early in many MANY ways. He can DJ or dash through a combo or out of messy scrums with big hitters no problem. Jiggs will have trouble in these areas. She makes up for it with rest and gimps and aerial evasion for some of it, but not all.

Simple things, small but significant.

COEY

Smash Lord
whats everyone opinion on luigis up air, ive been having alot of good results using it lately but i cant find alot of other luigis using it much in most videos that ive seen, except for defense against shine spikes.

but ive been using it more like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYVvYDaklU4

anyone else found any uses for it?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Year: 2006

Place: ChuDat's house

S
etting: Singles Melee Tournament

Players: Smash God and ChaosKnight

Characters: Luigi vs. Falco

S
tage: Mushroom Kingom II

Smash God lands a Dtilt -> Fair kill at high %. GG.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Dreamland. Most of falcon's kills are on the side, and dreamland is the widest neutral, so it's better for you getting your face kneed. The platforms give Luigi an advantage: platform chasing with nair, platdash combos, and they interfere with falcon's approach, since he needs a lot of horizontal movement.
tech chase with f-tilt and get him off the stage. Falcon's easy to edge guard most of the time.

Oh and Luigi is amazing, don't ever forget that

Fletch

Smash Master
Which of the neutral stages would you recommend picking vs. Falcon?
A lot of this will come down to personal preference, but in general I'd advise staying away from Dreamland as it's one of Falcon's best stages and allows him to move around fluidly and the platforms help his awful recovery. Sure the knee doesn't kill as early here, but once you're off the stage versus CF you're probably not coming back very easily anyways barring a misfire. Your best bet against CF as far as the neutrals go is probably FoD; Falcon mains seem to hate the stage and the moving platforms really screw up his SHFFL game.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Which of the neutral stages would you recommend picking vs. Falcon?
Dreamland. Most of falcon's kills are on the side, and dreamland is the widest neutral, so it's better for you getting your face kneed. The platforms give Luigi an advantage: platform chasing with nair, platdash combos, and they interfere with falcon's approach, since he needs a lot of horizontal movement.
tech chase with f-tilt and get him off the stage. Falcon's easy to edge guard most of the time.

Oh and Luigi is amazing, don't ever forget that
It depends on what you are more comfortable with. I personally disagree with Vudujin. I play Scar enough to know that when Falcon gets a lot of room to run around, he improves quite a bit. I really don't think Luigi benefits from the room on Dreamland as much as falcon. I prefer Yoshis and FoD for Falcon.

Top Bottom