• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

fribjits

Smash Apprentice
How does a luigi deal with a marth who is spamming D-tilt? I can't wavedash into him and if I try to jump over to him he instantly changes to an U-tilt or smash. :[

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I completely overrode a Marth fsmash with a Luigi dair yesterday. Hits did not trade, Luigi took no damage and Marth got rocked. It sure looked like it would have been a tipper also. Spacing and timing must have been perfect lol. It's been a while since I've played marthl.. I thought that hitbox went through pretty much everything..? /brain fart

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Get worse Tech skill. Luigi is not for those that can do the things you do with Fox Marth falco, sheik, falcon, ice climbers, game and watch, mario...

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman, I have a friend who likes this one awesome gif too much and has used it at least twice in the past 2 minutes , HALP
I have about 10 saved. But that one was most appropriate for this occasion. I also assumed the viewers of this thread and the Saffron City thread aside from myself were mutually exclusive.

I could have went with...

"This is what happens when I WD against Cactuar"

Oracle

Smash Master
Fast wavedashes has applications too
It's just like you'll be really far away from where you started when the 10 lag frames are up.

You can do stuff like wavedash behind their shield and turn around grab so they can't shield grab you, or WD so that both hits of the d smash hit (very very very situational, but sometimes it pressures shields and is sexy)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
They don't even need to be shielding. You can jab them along the way and do a quick turn around JC grab. The first time, it works on 95% of opponents. They may shield after the jab expecting more jabs or an UpB or sometinsometin. So you get a free grab.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Pakman, when do you prefer upward-angled ftilt over neutral ftilt?

If this has already been discussed, tell me where or link me. thanks.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Pakman, when do you prefer upward-angled ftilt over neutral ftilt?

If this has already been discussed, tell me where or link me. thanks.
You would be surprised how much the upward angled ftilt helps. People who span normal ftilts get punished by short hops. Fox Falcon Marth and Peach are pretty adept at getting around a normal ftilt. I catch characters short hopping out of shield and I can occasionally get peach out of a low float with it angled up. It also makes it harder to mistakenly do a down angled ftilt. There is nothing worse then hitting with that move.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
lol, ive been using wavedash d tilt on floaties(and fast fallers at high %s) and it goes into up b at mid percents.

i did it to linguini a couple times over the course of the last tourneys ive been to in the last month, so i know its not completely hopeless(on gannon ha)

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
lol, ive been using wavedash d tilt on floaties(and fast fallers at high %s) and it goes into up b at mid percents.

i did it to linguini a couple times over the course of the last tourneys ive been to in the last month, so i know its not completely hopeless(on gannon ha)
Yeah I have actually recently become aware of dtilt juggling on fast fallers. The move is pretty laggy, but that is pretty awesome nonetheless.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
well thats the thing that makes the move alright i guess.

what usually happens is the opponent trys to attack(DI's back at you while being dtilted) after being hit with it(thinking they'll recover before you) and then they get dead(up B).

ive also whiffed this a bunch of times, but thats only becuase i play to learn not to win HA!!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
.___. Not to my knowledge. Are you sure you aren't playing Brawl?
I don't own a copy of Brawl.

It happened about 4 times in one trial, I was just screwing around with b-throw on Luigi when he did it, slightly above the lip on FD and then instead of falling down he hit the edge and sweetspotted.

Probably not practical, but it seems to work for CPUs. I might record a video if I can make it happen again, I haven't tried it since.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Luigi's playstyle involves combos and movement. Utilizing his wavedash, and wave land game he can slide in and out and pick his opportunity to attack.

IMO Luigi plays similar to the Ice Climbers. Luigi blows in the air so he is primarily ground based. Ice Climbers similarly wavedash around the stage waiting for the opponent to be vulnerable.

D

Deleted member

Luigi ****ing rocks at tech reading with his grab and ftilt. This **** is like captain falcon all over again. you think you can escape him but then you just get ftilted again. and then you tech that ftilt and you get ftilted again.

Shoot a fireball off the ledge against Fox/Falco. If they use their side B (either above the stage or aiming for sweetspot) they will get hit by the fireball and then you go out and fair their fire.

Oracle

Smash Master
Why do people not use up air that much for combos? It's actually surprisingly fast because it autocancels and had great range and knockback angle.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Why do people not use up air that much for combos? It's actually surprisingly fast because it autocancels and had great range and knockback angle.
That it does. It's just a hard move to combo into with the rest of Luigi's moveset. I don't use this move for combo-ing as much as I do for beating my opponent's trying to attack me from above, particularly offstage (you can hit Fox with an Uair before he shinespikes you, but this may only work once).

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Up air rocks!!!

Against sheik and Marth you can up-air to double jump fair if they DI in. Landing double aerials with up air pushes your opponent a little farther than nair which gives you a better chance to avoid the shield grab.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
OverB then dtilt then fsmash IMO.

The green missile is just too funny.

Taunt seems pretty basic. I wish he said something.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I saw a CPU sweetspot the edge with a Misfire more than once in training mode.

Can this be done?
Yeah Misfire sweetspots the ledge.

It cancels when he hits a wall (just like sideb always does) but there's almost no lag after misfires so he grabs it instantly.

Surprised nobody knew that...maybe it was just confusing to understand what you said haha

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
is that a yeah or a no?
lol

Anybody here pivot ftilt?

I haven't played in a long time so I was bored and screwed around with some friends. They play brawl but wanted to try playing me in melee so they sucked but still knew DI and all that. Gave me a chance to test things out that I've been thinking about.

Just a pressure thing that worked on them.

SH Fair/Dair > Fast Fall Uair > jab > pivot ftilt/fsmash

They can try punishing the dair/fair but if you back away and FF uair, there'll be too much sheild stun for most OOS options that can hit far in front like that. Then jab or whatever. If you hit them or not with the jab (shield, dodge, reset, whatever) and you pivot ftilt, you get the ridiculous spacing of a ftilt and can't get grabbed, OOS hit or anything. Pretty much if they let go of shield (which they will when you dash away lol) they'll get hit. Even if they dodge after the jab expecting a grab (quite comon) the ftilt hits.

Thoughts? We all know how sexy ftilt is. I'm quite positive this needs looking at. :p

Top Bottom