• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Buford

Smash Apprentice
Nah, there isn't any timing involved in clicking b. It's just how fast you physically can. To get better at it you should just mash the b button in your spare time lol. No 1/4 speed or anything. Normal speed.
I spend about an hour last night after I posted. I can keep it even, no height loss or gain. But im not sure if ill be able to get any gain soon

i just put a lvl 1 CP on FD with me lol

when you charge it you dont have to mash b right? just on use?

wool

Smash Ace
I spend about an hour last night after I posted. I can keep it even, no height loss or gain. But im not sure if ill be able to get any gain soon

i just put a lvl 1 CP on FD with me lol

when you charge it you dont have to mash b right? just on use?
90% sure that to be able to get height with the down-b move you have to first do a down-b on the stage. I think that is what people mean by charging it. The down-b you must do on the stage you don't need to mash the b button. Just do a normal down-b. If you are in the air and trying to recover (assuming that the down-b is already charged) you click down-b then mash the b button so it's like down-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b as fast as possible.

Anyway keeping it even isn't that bad. Assuming you DI before starting the down-b you will basically get some (although little) horizantal recovery.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Tornado (B-Down)
Damage: two hits 18% (10%, 8%)

Despite what this move might look like or what Marios B-Down may do Luigi's B-Down, basically, consist of two hits. The first hit is when he spins around this hit will knock the opponent in the air (10%); the second hit is when Luigi comes out of the spin with his fist out (8%). However, what people seem to not get/know is that this move (in the air) can give you height after a series of button presses. To see someone do this look at Thunder's Luigi or Yagi's Luigi they do this often when returning to the stage. There is a catch to this advantage though; you must first do this move on the ground to be able to do a rising tornado. If Luigi was able to do a rising tornado every time then he would be able to have an infinite return that is why every OTHER tornado is a rising tornado. To do the rising tornado you must press B-Down to start the animation; during the start up animation you then press the button B rapidly. This is what you should be pressing: B-Down, (during start up animation) B, B, B, B, B, B...rapidly. There is a scale of how high you will go depending on how many times you press B during the start up animation.

If you press B (#)....Height gained
14+ times per second...Highest amount of height will be gained
12-13 times per second...2/3 the maximum height
8-10 times per second...1/2 the maximum height
5-7 times per second...0 height gained (maintains height; stalls)
Less than 5... Loss

Copy-pasta'd from the sticky. Please use em :]

Buford

Smash Apprentice
Thanks again guys

I want to post some vids of luigi so u could see where I stand as far as games actually go, but Id only be able to VS cp players, and itd be on a crappy camera, Think thatd be ok?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I mean we really can't comment on your decision making against a computer. We can really only take a look at your tech skill.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Speaking of that driving ticket thing early...

Bamesy's Journal
Date: July 31st, 2009

I had a court hearing for a contested speeding ticket in Mount Vernon today, just outside of Seattle. It was a quick drive and just got partially molested at the border. I walked in there, took a while to find good parking. I was there early so had a nap in the car.

When I got there, people were already doing their thing. Denying tickets or whatever. Then I got called up. It went something like this...

Jury: Sup dawg?
Me: Yo, ionnoz, u?
Jury: nah much. Where you at?
Me: pffffft where YOU at?!?!
Jury: coo coo
Me: yeyeyeye
Jury: Geh out here diss MAAAH house!
Me: Aight, g2g neway.
Jury: Aight.
Me: Werd.
Jury: Here's sum papahz and sheiiiit!
Me: Not bad.
Jury: Yayuhz, peace out.
Me: Laterz nub crakah!
Jury: aw yeeeee nyuka!

*pounds it*

Easy

Just keep doing your best and try new things and play SMART!
You'll do fine, you know what to do so just do it the best you can. Critique is when you think you've plateaued and need some help improving. Just learning how to use DownB off stage shows you're learning fine.
;D

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Good stuff @ pound 4. We should just get all the best Luigis together and enter a Luigi crew if they do crews xD

I had a chance to play Vist some today. Luigi dittos are gay :p

0% on Falcon/Fox. I forgot how broken Tornado can be when used on the ground. Both hits = 19% lolwut. Then just mix in some Dthrow/Uthrow tech chase jab reset/Utilt/Dsmash combo, and you have like 70% from 0. Luigi is brokennn

Vist

Smash Champion
Good stuff @ pound 4. We should just get all the best Luigis together and enter a Luigi crew if they do crews xD

0% on Falcon/Fox. I forgot how broken Tornado can be when used on the ground. Both hits = 19% lolwut. Then just mix in some Dthrow/Uthrow tech chase jab reset/Utilt/Dsmash combo, and you have like 70% from 0. Luigi is brokennn
yea luigi dittos are pretty lame, better than some other dittos at least

good thing they happen once in a blue moon tho.... can't even remember playing one in tournament and in friendlies i think the last time i played one was like against azen at some random c3 a while back or against ka at fc diamond.

nublet06

Smash Lord

lol tornado is one of the worst moves to do to a falcon or fox at 0%

they can crouch cancel and tech the 2nd hit, and punish you in your lag. and those 2 characters def know how to punish :(

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I like to get a good 20-30 on them or so, and try to hit them with both hits of the tornado as a juggle, then depending on DI grab or utilt to grab, then uthrow to dair/fair/bair. lol

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
How to approach falcon?
You have to do things intelligently against falcon. Wavedash uptilt/usmash, get get him out of his short hop aerials, but are also asking to get shield grabbed. WD ftilt upwards can catch him sometimes. Jab grab is a decent approach as well unless the falcon is crouch canceling.

Its a guessing game. If you think he is going to shield, grab him. If you think he is going to jump, do an upwards attack.

However, the best strategy is make falcon come to you.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Pakman pretty much said what I would have said.

ROFL, the tornado isn't something to be used often. It's more of a surprise attack when they aren't expecting it. Or when they're not on the ground, but high enough to be hit by it.

Blatt Blvd

Smash Ace
i use ledge hop tornado sometime.

it owns forward smash marths, especially if im constantly ledge hopping wavedashing into attcks/grab/shield.

edit: post number 420.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah I do ledgehop tornados as well, but not really as an offense. It's mainly just after I ledgeguard my opponent, then ledgehop tornado to charge my aerial tornado before they can respawn xD

Word of caution, make sure you actually practice doing ledgehop tornados before doing it in a tournament match. If you mistime it and don't last on the stage before you use the tornado, you'll fall off the stage and die ._.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
dear pakman, why do i suck? lol i was playing the other day and i didnt win oneeee friggen match :(

oh well im still going to pound 4.
I suck too. That's why I stick to smash theory rather than actually get good at this game. I played awfully at Genesis.

Yeah I do ledgehop tornados as well, but not really as an offense. It's mainly just after I ledgeguard my opponent, then ledgehop tornado to charge my aerial tornado before they can respawn xD

Word of caution, make sure you actually practice doing ledgehop tornados before doing it in a tournament match. If you mistime it and don't last on the stage before you use the tornado, you'll fall off the stage and die ._.
Watch the East Vs West crew from Genesis when they put it up. I am so disappointed in myself.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Did you kill yourself? D: That's the problem with Luigi in crews, he dies easily and is easy to SD with.

On Saturday at a Melee tourney I went to we did crews. I went Marth and I was our last player, the other team had 1.5 players. After taking out the 2 Fox stocks without losing a life, it was my Marth vs Vist's Luigi ._. I was winning and when I respawned on the last stock, he anti-climactically SD'd at the edge.

LUIGIS: STEP IT UP IN CREWS!

Vist

Smash Champion
im so clutch, what can i say? lmao

you should have been luigi too so we could have sd-ed together

on a side note, you landed what we call the 'tricked ya' on me like 100000 times that match (any kinda wd/run/walk -> back smash). I did a awesome job getting hit by it lol but I at least pulled out the ultimate 'tricked ya' by sd-ing on the final stock.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Eddy should've been on the International crew at Genesis, and I should've been on the Canadian crew.

Sadly, neither of us were at the venue at sign up, lunch breaking.

So at least ONE of the Luigi's there was on a crew.

lololol

Even though you choked, there was Luigi. That's what counts.

You choked against Xelic after I 2 stocked him in friendlies too. :(

Sorry for warming him up to Luigi. :(

Luigi's be clutch in doubles too.

Luigi ***** teams!

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
im so clutch, what can i say? lmao

you should have been luigi too so we could have sd-ed together

on a side note, you landed what we call the 'tricked ya' on me like 100000 times that match (any kinda wd/run/walk -> back smash). I did a awesome job getting hit by it lol but I at least pulled out the ultimate 'tricked ya' by sd-ing on the final stock.
Yeah apparently I'm really good with Marth's Fsmash xD

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
lol Marth is awesome.

Probably my best match up as Marth is against Luigi
And my best match up as Luigi is against Marth too.

I like it.

That's actually something worth covering.

Who do you use as far as other characters in tournament or MMs or serious matches in general? (Ka as Falcon for ex)

And how do they translate to your Luigi play or vice versa?

Are they as tourney viable as your Luigi's?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I use Marth, Luigi, and Fox. My Marth is my best, and my Luigi and Fox are pretty close.

My Luigi skills transferred more over to my Marth than my Fox. I tend to do a lot of platform wavedashes with Marth. Thanks to Luigi, my movements are much more controlled than they might be otherwise, so I'm pretty precise with my hits.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Platforms with Marth lol I know exactly what you mean.

I used to be very platform campy with Marth when I started using Luigi seriously.

Over time, the best couple Marths in the nearest regions had bashed it out of me. Claiming it was a 'problem' I had, rather than a habbit/style/preference. lol

I play a VERY VERY VERY campy Luigi. I predict rather than punish. I've had 4+ people comment on how slow I am and everyone is really surprised that I ever win matches. I seriously don't move. (I don't DD with Marth and compete with VERY good spacies here)

So because of my lack of technical skill and almost entirely prediction based gameplay, my Peach and Sheik are pretty much equal to my Luigi. My Marth slightly worse (naturally the precision needed requires speed I don't have).

I'm better at doubles than singles because of that. I don't move in singles because I always feel like I'm safe standing still, but in doubles I always have somewhere to be.

I'm often teamed with HORRIBLE teamates (5 of 6 this year were regular noobs, not even compatible to stay alive to stock tank even) and I've managed to almost single handedly make massive upsets. Only in doubles though, because I MOVE in doubles.

I singles, if people don't jump into the 5 things I do, and punish the 5th move I make, they win.

If they jump into option A to D, I win, then they have to try again.

That's pretty much how it goes for me.

And that's why I'm quitting smash for a while. One of the many many reasons anyway. I need to learn to move, so I can punish things, rather than win soley on predictions.

So I'm gone.

Talk in November

Bye <3 :)

Rappster

Smash Ace
sorry to change subject, but quick priority question.
will an ariel wit a disjointed hitbox always cut thru one of luigi's ariels?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
sorry to change subject, but quick priority question.
will an ariel wit a disjointed hitbox always cut thru one of luigi's ariels?
short answer, yes

long answer, aerials never clank, so it's about who's hitbox hits the other's body box first (or if they hit simultaneously, both characters get hit). Since Luigi moves very slowly horizontally in the air, largely disjointed hitboxes, like Marth's fair are nearly impossible for him to fight through with his own aerials (since the only way to fight through it is to hit him first, which is only really possible with Fox/Falco/Falcon flying in there with a nair or something). Also, pretty much every attack in this game has a disjointed hitbox, which is a pet peeve of mine when people say "disjointed hitbox" since they're usually just referring to Marth's sword which is noticeably more disjointed than most other moves.

Vist

Smash Champion
I can't go to Chu's Friday tournaments.... I have work :-(

Someone should have a labor day tournament.
ah **** =(

I understand tho, I almost never can make it to chu's fest when they're on Fridays b/c of work. This one looks like its gonna be huge and there was actually some advance notice so I'm probably going to switch shifts or something.

btw Pakman, I saw you needed a teammate for pound 4, so I was thinking if you can't find anyone you want to team with, hit me up. We could do double luigi :cool:

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
ah **** =(

I understand tho, I almost never can make it to chu's fest when they're on Fridays b/c of work. This one looks like its gonna be huge and there was actually some advance notice so I'm probably going to switch shifts or something.

btw Pakman, I saw you needed a teammate for pound 4, so I was thinking if you can't find anyone you want to team with, hit me up. We could do double luigi :cool:
That would be pretty awesome. We could get a stock advantage and Luigi's ladder the rest of the match!!!!

I always wanted to Luigi's ladder in tournament to save my partner.

Vist

Smash Champion
That would be pretty awesome. We could get a stock advantage and Luigi's ladder the rest of the match!!!!

I always wanted to Luigi's ladder in tournament to save my partner.
lol yeah man, that would be hilarious.

any team that faced it would instantly forfeit out of sheer amazement

Top Bottom