• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Am I right in saying Mute City is one of Luigi's best stages..if not the best vs alot of characters?
Free Up B, Tough to Edge guard Weegie as the stage changes, Down B takes up alot of room.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I usually try to stay away from Mute City, but yes, I guess it isn't that bad for him. Although you have to keep in mind that when the platform is all you have during one of the stage's transformations, Fox beasts Luigi there with shines. We don't even have a ledge, and all Fox has to do is see where Luigi is coming from. If we come from above, Usmash/Uair. If it's from below with UpB, CC shine/Usmash.

Oh

and

Peach

Scar

#HarveyDent
i knew what this link was before clicking on it

wd ftilt is ****

dear pakman i have a non-luigi related question

remember that time we drove to herb and you got a ticket for speeding that required mandatory court appearance very far from your home?

well im going to herb 2 and as fate would have it i got one of those too

what did you do to resolve the matter? and how much in fees etc did you incur

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm not Pakman obviously but Scar as long as it was just speeding you could probably get a lawyer from that area to get it reduced or dropped (you won't have to show for court) for about 200-250 bones.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
i knew what this link was before clicking on it

wd ftilt is ****

dear pakman i have a non-luigi related question

remember that time we drove to herb and you got a ticket for speeding that required mandatory court appearance very far from your home?

well im going to herb 2 and as fate would have it i got one of those too

what did you do to resolve the matter? and how much in fees etc did you incur
I'm not Pakman obviously but Scar as long as it was just speeding you could probably get a lawyer from that area to get it reduced or dropped (you won't have to show for court) for about 200-250 bones.
That is pretty much exactly what I did. I ended up getting no points for it either. They do however ask for a DMV record so your insurance might hear about it.

NC blows.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
That is pretty much exactly what I did. I ended up getting no points for it either. They do however ask for a DMV record so your insurance might hear about it.

NC blows.
Really? That sucks Pakman. I've had my fair share of tickets (lol) and I've never been asked to present that.. the right attorney should be able to sweep this under the carpet without your insurance knowing about it.

Eddy 007

Smash Apprentice
IMO Mute City is a very good choice against Sheik, Marth, C.Falcon and maybe falco. The main reason is because their recovery is very bad in that level, so the edgeguard is easy or you get an easy Shoryuken.
Hey Pakman, your luigi has a diferent style, just sayin. =D

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
probably just mix it up, slide in there, and make a combo video. I mean it's ganon, it's not that bad. ^_^

real talk. Pakman, did you go to herb?

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I'm actually heading to Seattle this Thursday (7 hours from me and border crossing) to go to court for a speeding ticket that I contested. Hopefully I save money and don't have to do anything for it XD

That was sick. lol. The ftilt is very good I think.. well with my experience against Ka-master, he did that move a lot.. meaning obviously using it wisely. You can WD ftilt if I miss a move most definitely.

So I'm going to ask.. how do you beat Kage? lolll.
Jab > ftilt > ftilt > WD away > wait for you to do something > ftilt

I worked 50% of the time...
Something else could work the other 50%
no warrior, time for magician
Ka Magic ;D

btw

PKM is sooo good!

IMO Mute City is a very good choice against Sheik, Marth, C.Falcon and maybe falco. The main reason is because their recovery is very bad in that level, so the edgeguard is easy or you get an easy Shoryuken.
Hey Pakman, your luigi has a diferent style, just sayin. =D
UpB hahahah

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The problem with Mute is that the way advanced slob works if you want to use Luigi on that stage then people who have not-too-great peaches and puffs are going to switch character after you pick that stage. And even scrubby peaches and jiggs become tough on that stage.

wool

Smash Ace
The problem with Mute is that the way advanced slob works people who have decent peaches and puffs are going to switch character after you pick that stage. And even scrubby peaches and jiggs become dumb on that stage.
Isn't Mute good for a Puff? Lots of chances for sleep KOs, can jump off the platform and do lots of air combos to make Luigi get really far away from the platform thing, etc.

wool

Smash Ace
I used confusing language. Let me edit.
Oh my bad, I misunderstood.

I have a question about Luigi anyway. When would you consider using the u-smash against fox/falco? When I play against characters like falco and fox, I am prepared for the shffl nairs/dairs. Usually (while shielding against those annoying lasers) I try and space myself so that I tempt them into using a shffl nair, but when they do, I WD back a bit, then WD forward (at this time they are fast falling). Here I almost always use a down smash because of the added range I get, and there isn't a possibility that I whiff. So I don't u-smash here.

Against falco especially, when falco is trying to land on the stage from high up in the air, whenever I try and do an u-smash, I always get out prioritized by the dair. I don't know if I am missing the timing or not, but because of this I almost never use the u-smash against these characters. Do you use it ever and when would you recommend it?

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I almost always WD into the d-smash over the u-smash when someone short hops, mostly because I don't want to whiff...is there any advantage of u-smashing?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Up smash is harder to avoid for spacies and can actually out prioritize their aerials. Dsmash imo is better for tech chasing and continuing combos.

wool

Smash Ace
against a grounded opponent, I think Luigi's dsmash is better, but the hitbox is too low to contest spacies' aerials, whereas the usmash can trade/beat them (i think his head is invulnerable during the move or something...).
LOL ok thanks I really under estimated the usmash.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Okay here is a question. I played Brawl for a year (then quit it), but my Luigi sort of plays like some Luigis I have seen on SSBM, viz:
  • Heavy Spacing
  • Repeated use of Dair
  • Then nair
So, when I play Weegee, I typically wavedash back and forth, space mad, and set repeatedly dair-->nair. Would this be an okay tactic to build on?

Thanks. :)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Uh, probably not.

Moar switch ups.

bair is prety good

bair waveland to moar stuff

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yes you can't really approach with Nair >.< I prefer Ftilt. It's just amazing. And Dsmash against the people who won't expect it, and for the people who fall for easy trick, wd -> reverse Dsmash to hit with the back hit. Goin for a grab is also a decent approach. I like to go about that by wavedashing forward, jab on the way towards them, then pivot grab out of the wavedash when you're behind. They'll shield after the jab, giving you a free grab. Then it's combo heaven.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The way smash physics work is that a hit box can only hit you once. So if they block the nair during the first frame where it hits, they have like 43192048 frames to punish you. For this reason I don't approach with nair. As a general rule, if it is not a guaranteed hit, never nair while still moving upwards in your jump.

Aside from ppa0's silly drop canceling nonsense the nair should be used to continue combo's or as a defensive move to break out of being comboed (a ca-ca-ca-combo breaker if you will).

WD downsmash is good, but can get predictable. You need to mix up grabs ftilts and sh aerials into your WD approaches to be a great Luigi.

Buford

Smash Apprentice
I cannot use Down-b to get any height. How would you recommend me getting better at it? and should I still fight off the edge, or play it safe on the stage and use airs/ftilt to stop people from coming back?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Dear great Pakman. What's a better approaching technique. Flying super sex nair, or Long wavedash dsmash?
lol from my perspective.. both are terrible to approach.. first one you just counter with jump back Fair.. and the 2nd one, jump downair to downair lol.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I cannot use Down-b to get any height. How would you recommend me getting better at it? and should I still fight off the edge, or play it safe on the stage and use airs/ftilt to stop people from coming back?
There is no easy way to get your Down B to give you height. Just remember to have it charged and mash as best you can. Experiment with different controller positions. Use you lap and maybe a different finger or something. Everybody has their own thing.

Luigi should rarely fight offstage. Against Falcon and Ganon are probably the exceptions. Their recovery blows, so you can exploit it. Against some characters you can wd off the stage and instantly bair, but in general you want to stay on stage and edge guard.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Personally I love fighting offstage with Luigi xD I'm just super rusty, so I need to get back up to speed; last melee fest I went to I was beaten by ChRed's Fox offstage -.-

Yeah Nair really should only be used for combos/defense. ppa0 is special

Down-B height: PRACTICE. A LOT.

Pakman: Let's do some doubles friendlies against people using double Luigi at pound 4, I want to see how that would work out xD

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I did some double Luigi with Vist at CoT4 on the melee tvs. It was pretty beast. We should luigi's ladder to save each other and recover.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
**** that. Get a 2 stock lead and luigi ladder to run the clock out.

It'd be pretty awesome.

__

If misfire were to kill somebody competent (read: somebody who is diing), where would be be more likely to die? Off the top or off the side?

What % would they die at on..... say FD?

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Edgeguarding Marth too...
Sheik style drop off Nair, Marth HAS to go through it....
he gets hit, you DJ Fair him back off.

100% own

Don't approach with dsmash. Go jab dsmash if anything. Not straight dsmash.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah straight up Dsmash rarely works xD It's a myth that all you have to do with Luigi is WD -> Dsmash and jam the A button :p

Although that DOES work on below average players sometimes

Buford

Smash Apprentice
There is no easy way to get your Down B to give you height. Just remember to have it charged and mash as best you can. Experiment with different controller positions. Use you lap and maybe a different finger or something. Everybody has their own thing.

Luigi should rarely fight offstage. Against Falcon and Ganon are probably the exceptions. Their recovery blows, so you can exploit it. Against some characters you can wd off the stage and instantly bair, but in general you want to stay on stage and edge guard.
for down B should i start practicing on like slo mode? then move up as i start to get it in the faster speeds(1/4th then 1/2 ect...) or just sit in FD for a long time practicing?

wool

Smash Ace
for down B should i start practicing on like slo mode? then move up as i start to get it in the faster speeds(1/4th then 1/2 ect...) or just sit in FD for a long time practicing?
Nah, there isn't any timing involved in clicking b. It's just how fast you physically can. To get better at it you should just mash the b button in your spare time lol. No 1/4 speed or anything. Normal speed.

Top Bottom