• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

wool

Smash Ace
That seems pretty good man, I just have noone to test it on lol.
I need to get out of the habit of only doing SH dair->FF nair. I should add some uairs in there.
Can they WD OoS backwards to avoid the ftilt?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
is that a yeah or a no?
As long as you don't use it to stall, I suppose, but the positioning would be super awkward, you might shoryuken him and kill both him and yourself lulz.

Thoughts? We all know how sexy ftilt is. I'm quite positive this needs looking at. :p
Sounds good, I mean unless you're up against HugS, who'll prolly Up+B your foot.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
That seems pretty good man, I just have noone to test it on lol.
I need to get out of the habit of only doing SH dair->FF nair. I should add some uairs in there.
Can they WD OoS backwards to avoid the ftilt?
I'm pretty sure it depends on the character (different length WDs) and how close you are.

You have to be pretty close to land the Uair but it does push them away a fair bit and the jab with it makes it tough to WD away at the right time (you can always just grab or DD in front of them to mix it up in case)
But I'm pretty sure the ftilt pivoted after the jab will come out too fast for most WDs to get out of the way. Unless their weegee too or something. Weegee has fat range on his foot. lol

It's a fast attack and his pivot is quick (initial dash animation is one of the quickest)

I've been mixing it up too...
The whole Dair>FFUair>Jab>PivotFtilt
Then Dair>FFUair>Jab>Dash behind them CC dsmash
Then Dair>FFWD behind reverse grab (did that when they were near a ledge for an easy bthrow>edgeguard)

pivot ftilt is awesome, but mixing pressure like that is tricky

Try it on CPUs with damage ratio really high. You can practice the spacing and variations.

Sounds good, I mean unless you're up against HugS, who'll prolly Up+B your foot.
LOL Played him at like 5am after a tourney for a couple hours. Definitaly prepared me for the swarms of friendlies with the massive amounts of samus's at Genesis lol. He might be a brawler now but he's still really good at that melee. Just needs to catch up with the metagame to get back to where he was. sheeettt :p

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I think I found a glitchy thing with Luigi...Or maybe it's every character...maybe it's known already....

I was screwing around with WDs all over dreamland and when I put the standing player on the edge of the top platform

like....hereV
_________

And I WDed that>>> way

And started walking to get off the platform, I just walked in place forever...couldn't get off the platform on that side...
Is just just Luigi's WD or what? I've never seen that before :\
Anyone?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Just based off of intuition here:

-You can't push a character off
-Two characters can't be in the same spot
-Luigi has low traction

I guess you were going so slow that, the other character just pushed you back on the platform so you just infinitely walk.

That's cool though, I wanna try it out.

KING139

Smash Rookie
Hey Pakman, I want to ask, how does Luigi do in teams, teaming with a jiggs in particular.

And how do I stop being gimped so easily? I know Luigi is easily gimped off the edge, but I feel like there's not much I can do if I slip up off the edge and my opponent just jumps down and edge hogs me :(

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Watch some vids or something, a lot of Luigi's recovery is just mindgames/guess and experience helps a tonne with that.

WHERE are all the luigi talkziez at?

TresChikon

Smash Lord
If you find yourself getting hogged, you can PTP to stall for a bit and Up+B after they roll on stage. Just be sure you've used it once on stage already.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Hey Pakman, I want to ask, how does Luigi do in teams, teaming with a jiggs in particular.

And how do I stop being gimped so easily? I know Luigi is easily gimped off the edge, but I feel like there's not much I can do if I slip up off the edge and my opponent just jumps down and edge hogs me :(
As far as teams goes, I don't think teaming with a Jiggs is a great combo. Those are two characters that are very easy to separate. Against a fox, A well placed shine and your opponents can double team one of you for a decent amount of time. Luigi is a supporting teams character. He edge guards well, but he doesn't have a reliable kill move like falcon's knee or fox's up smash. Jiggs plays a similar role in teams. Edge guarding and damage building. You need to work on serious chemistry and rest combos for that team to work.

Recovery with Luigi is a tricky skill to learn. It definitely comes wit practice and a lot of times there is no way to make it without a misfire.

One thing you MUST have with Luigi is good DI. The easiest way for a Luigi to die is getting hit horizontally. Make sure you go up when you get hit and you will find it easier to make it back.

Always abide by the forward B -> tornado -> double jump ->up+B or airdodge order of operations.

Sometimes it is more important to get on stage than it is to be safe. When a fox shines you and you slide off, I like to double jump airdodge, but you can't airdodge up, you have to sort of wave land so that if the fox hits you again you get a jump.

Oracle

Smash Master
It all depends on your opponent. Sometimes you want to recover low by charging a tornado, sometimes you want to do a bunch of side B's because the character can't go far enough off the stage to do anything about it.

I like to use a side B close to the stage so my lag time goes down, jump, and either vertically space an up air if they're ready to roll or use another side B because you'll stall the time a little and can mindgame them into rolling

S l o X

Smash Champion
That explains why I'm barely passing espanol. Sorry :( No disrespect meant.

[ Muchas gracias hombre. ♥ )

to stay on topic:
How would a Luigi play a Shiek? Any preferred approaches or the usual?

Who do most Luigi mains use as secondarys?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I don't really believe in picking up secondaries just for matchups. Imo you should use whoever you're comfortable with <_<

Sheik. Ugh. Don't get grabbed. Ever. It's just free damage for Sheik.

From 0, Dsmash is a good combo starter. Then again, it usually is. If Sheik doesn't jump then go ahead and go for another Dsmash. Direct approaches don't work so well due to needles. At high %, go for the normal kill stuff. If you have a grab, go for Uthrow ->
aerial at mid % (or Ftilt depending on DI) or Dthrow -> aerial at high %. At 0, Dthrow Dsmash/Ftilt. When you're at high percents, be VERY cautious. One grab = death (Fair/Uair). Don't approach directly. Even if you dodge needles, one Ftilt or Dtilt = death (see: grab). If you have any plans of recovery while being edgeguarded, you should try and sweetspot the ledge as long as Sheik isn't edgehoggin you. That way all she can do is go for Dtilt -> aerial or a Dsmash, both of which are easily teched. Unless she goes for a Bair stage spike.. that's uncommon, though, and can also be teched. And even teched -> Fair's if you're super sexy.

T
his is all that came off the top of my head. It's late and I can't think. Ask more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Pakman and Smash GODs last posts cover tonnes so everyone be sure to read those.

To add,
Luigi teams well be characters that can be abused. He can get around the stage very well and create lots of traffic and cover space well, which confines the opposite team to line up his faster teamates and not allow comboing. Fox/Falcon are the best teamates (it's almost arguable that Falco+Luigi is a legit top level team though very awkward to do [not like singles at all, complete change in style for both players = very difficult to adjust]) because they can get around the stage as quickly as Luigi to capitalize on the fact that EVERYTHING LUIGI DOES, COMBOS AND SETS UP (FOR TEAMATES TO LAND HITS FROM)

Against a Sheik, get her offstage with ANYTHING and edgeguard simple and forever. It's a long, patient and gay process fighting a Sheik but it is manageable. Pretty much don't attack direct (GRAB HER LOTS BECAUSE SHE WILL SHEILD ALL OF YOUR APPROACHES AND TRY TO GRAB YOU). Pretty much anything she does to you is a stock or close to it. Therefore you must do that back with small combos that lead to edgeguarding over and over. That's all you have on her, no pressure, approach, anything else, but it works.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
a good thing vs shieks is upairing when cfalling from a sh, because thatas almost or a pillar.. so uair, cancel, jab. u or d grabs.. lots of ftilts.. and light shield not full shield

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I have been doing up throw JC upsmash at 0% on sheik. It works pretty well.

Sheik is annoying because her grab range makes it hard to space and her aerials and a bunch of her smashs aren't punishable if you block them.

wool

Smash Ace
and don't forget those stupid needles when trying to recover :(
i remember distinctly this one match where i successfully used up-b to gain a lot of height (i usually can't, still practicing (lol) my fingers cant click that fast haha) but then NOPE denied, shiek just hit b once and i fell to my demise.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
There is no real meaning behind it. Like I wanted a 4 letter tag that was a funny word to say. At first it was going to be P(akman) on C(crack) - PONC and I didn't like that. I really don't know how I came up with LOAF, but I really liked it.

WIGI

Smash Champion
my camp name was luigi, before that i didn't have a main in melee, or play competitively.

After they gave me the camp name Luigi, i had to condense it to 4 letters for Melee.

hence, WiGi

KING139

Smash Rookie
How can I deal with spamable projectiles, like Samus' missiles, Falco's lasers, and Peach's turnips? I usually wd->shield but they usually grab me or just knock me back when I get close to attack.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
jumping is usually good. powershielding too.

Samus' missiles? Pshhh easy. It's called Ftilt. Or if you want to be cool like Smash God, DownB straight towards her. Your fist will cancel the missile and your DownB will cancel too. It's a solid approach and if you're close downB -> Missile Cancel -> FTILT.

KING139

Smash Rookie
Samus' missiles? Pshhh easy. It's called Ftilt. Or if you want to be cool like Smash God, DownB straight towards her. Your fist will cancel the missile and your DownB will cancel too. It's a solid approach and if you're close downB -> Missile Cancel -> FTILT.
Does Ftilt really work? Do I have to angle it up? I've seriously been trying to find a way around Samus' missiles for months. If its this easy I may just start up melee, right now.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I believe it is that easy, yes. DownB is your best friend, though. It's a great way to approach missiles.

N
eedles and lasers? Different story D:

KING139

Smash Rookie
I hate projectiles. A bunch. They suck. I feel like my Luigi game would be so much better if I could just get around them.

Pakman Edit: I hit Edit instead of quote. Stupid mod options :-p

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
wif lasers, wave shield. or waveland on platforms

for missilers, they r not big deal, u can breake em wif a ftilt, crouch, and shielding/waveshielding always works out

but from where did loa come out? imagination?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I hate projectiles. A bunch. They suck. I feel like my Luigi game would be so much better if I could just get around them.

Pakman Edit: I hit Edit instead of quote. Stupid mod options :-p
Sorry for the edit bro.

Power sheild. Wave dash out of shield. Roll intelligently(harder then it sounds).

The real way to get around projectiles is to make every hit count. My falco game improved recently, and I used to get shut down by lasers. I didn't change my approach game, but I combo, tech chase and edge guard better. I made it so if I got close enough I could punish from 0 to death.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Hey Pakman, would you recommend learning sneakier wavedashes? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn7ZdA-dTx4&feature=related I'm just not sure if wavedashing like that would really help my game, or if its just an unnecesary amount of work. I mean, most of the opponents in that video were pretty bad. And if it is indeed worth it to learn to wavedash like that, how the hell does Luigi moonwalk???

KING139

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the edit bro.

Power sheild. Wave dash out of shield. Roll intelligently(harder then it sounds).

The real way to get around projectiles is to make every hit count. My falco game improved recently, and I used to get shut down by lasers. I didn't change my approach game, but I combo, tech chase and edge guard better. I made it so if I got close enough I could punish from 0 to death.
lol, edits.

speaking of combos, how can Luigi use platform wave landing. One of my super leet smash buddies mentioned this to me, but I'm not sure how well it would combo, or what it would combo into. :/

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
lol, edits.

speaking of combos, how can Luigi use platform wave landing. One of my super leet smash buddies mentioned this to me, but I'm not sure how well it would combo, or what it would combo into. :/
Platform wavedashing is just the greatest coolest awesomest sexiest beastliest luigiliest great coolest.. thing ever.

R
ather than going directly at your opponent with an Ftilt or something of the sort, go towards them, jump, platdash, fall down bair/fair/dair. If they're trying to recover, platdash an aerial to switch thinsg up. You're fighting an opponent with projectiles; use platdashing to maneuver around the stage (direct approaches won't work). For example, Sheik's needles can only go sideways and diagonally downards. If you're platdashing, the only way she can hit you is to get above you or to get on a platform and somehow hit you while you can shield or jump around the platforms. You can turn around on the platform while platdashing too, and sometimes it's easier to fall off the platform while your back is facing the edge that you're falling off of (if you're facing forward then you'll go into the wobbling animation, you can still drop but you'll have to press forward again). If you throw an opponent upwards or Nair or something of the sort, you can platdash so that you have two full jumps to follow up rather than your first two from the floor (for example, uthrow on fox, you could double jump into an aerial. Or you could platdash into an Ftilt if he DIs to the side, etc.).

:D This is all the stuff that popped out of my head. I love platdashing. It's useful for more characters too; I use it with Marth/Fox all the time. Marth's Fair out of platdashing is too good.

Top Bottom