• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
Ok so this question is really only half relevant but Im bored so wth. What is your favorite wavedash mind game(s)? I see ALOT of luigis "moonwalking" with dash forward wavedash back and I doubt if it even matters, but wut r ur favess?

Also I just discovered u can grab cancel dash attacks and it makes the dash attack noise :) Im not stupid enuf to think no one has discovered this but if ur gonna use a non jump cancelled dash grab may as well make one of luigis awesome dash attack noises!

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Yeah every character can do that dash attack-> grab nonsense. I believe the original term was called boost grabbing because your grab gets a few extra pixels of distance.

As far as wave dash mind games go. My favorite is Wavedash close to them and jab (they generally put up their shield) and the wd momentum will go through them, then you just run up and grab. If you get a really good wavedash you can wavedash towards, and dash back and forward and get an extra momentum boost for the wavedash on that dash forward.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
How do you approach Ganon?

short hop fair/bair seems unpunishable, if Luigi is grounded, and Luigi can't really do anything from above Ganon... at least that's how it seems to me.
Patience and precision is the key in the Ganon matchup. You need to make sure to hit gannon when you attack him, other wise you eat sh bair or sh uair. In general, shorthop bair, fair will work, but don't whiff.

Ganon is a tough matchup because of the following:

I thought Ganon just punched Luigi a lot and then he died.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
hahaha. That tournament was the most uncomfortable event I have ever been too. It was so hot. All the Philly people ended up staying at chateau Cactus which was fun.

I beat komo's falcon with kirby.

I'll get you next time pocky...

It's actually quite beneficial to just walk and dash around.

Something I learned about Ganon (from watching Kage and Ka Master go 8-8 in about 16 MMs and then playing them after) was just stand near, out of his ftilt range, and ftilt him. If he jumps, WD backward and walk forward, if he lands with an aerial, stay out of it's range then ftilt him, if he comes to close, utilt/fair/uair whatever him, if he's gonna hit you, shield. If he does something else like dtilt, usmash, fsmash, whatever, SH over/WD to him and **** him.

Ganon sucks if you do it right. :\

It might, but I doubt it and either way it's not even half as good lol

Just ftilt him. Either Ganon will ftilt back, shield, get hit, whatever. Yours is faster repeatedly significantly, plenty rangy enough that Ganon has no options that benefit him, etc.

And you can always help yourself with WDing into that 'standing distance area' to ftilt. Mixing with dsmash etc isn't bad either. Ganon will attempt his own ftilts if he doesn't know better and you can abuse that plenty if he actually tries to ftilt you back.

That's like noticing Falcon space with knees and DDs.

Luigi has so much speed that spacing can be tricky, it all depends on match up etc.
Who were the Luigi(s) fighting in the vids you saw? Against someone like Falco, Bairs/Fairs keep you close and don't let him jump, against Marth, ftilt, cause if you jump you die.

Use all of his moves at the proper times, they all have their place. :D

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's actually quite beneficial to just walk and dash around.

Something I learned about Ganon (from watching Kage and Ka Master go 8-8 in about 16 MMs and then playing them after) was just stand near, out of his ftilt range, and ftilt him. If he jumps, WD backward and walk forward, if he lands with an aerial, stay out of it's range then ftilt him, if he comes to close, utilt/fair/uair whatever him, if he's gonna hit you, shield. If he does something else like dtilt, usmash, fsmash, whatever, SH over/WD to him and **** him.

Ganon sucks if you do it right. :\
Well you are talking about on Luigi's standpoint but you did forget about Ganon's standpoint. If Luigi shields after I do an aerial there's no time to retaliate back at Ganon, after that point you really have to guess correctly into what Ganon will do next because if you fail then you'll get punched. Because after an aerial, I can do.. either another aerial, or just wait there until I see Luigi WD forward and either Jab right away or Shield to jab if there's an attack, it's pretty safe to do those. This matchup involves a lot around mix-ups but more so to Luigi because of his lack of range and mobility in the air.

Ya it's a tough matchup that involves guessing correctly at the right times but with Ganon I can relatively just spam moves and win lol. Oh and right now me and Ka are 17-14 for me. =P

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Well you are talking about on Luigi's standpoint but you did forget about Ganon's standpoint. If Luigi shields after I do an aerial there's no time to retaliate back at Ganon, after that point you really have to guess correctly into what Ganon will do next because if you fail then you'll get punched. Because after an aerial, I can do.. either another aerial, or just wait there until I see Luigi WD forward and either Jab right away or Shield to jab if there's an attack, it's pretty safe to do those. This matchup involves a lot around mix-ups but more so to Luigi because of his lack of range and mobility in the air.

Ya it's a tough matchup that involves guessing correctly at the right times but with Ganon I can relatively just spam moves and win lol. Oh and right now me and Ka are 17-14 for me. =P
That's really impressive from Ka's side then, haha. I wish I could have seen some of these matches

That's really impressive from Ka's side then, haha. I wish I could have seen some of these matches
lol Mogwai
Ka is sexy! I was satisfied after 1 set of this. lol
Most of them were recorded too, I don't know what the heck happened to the tape. I want to see.

Gustav, well.. it shows that the matchup isn't that bad at all.
This ^

And yeah, you guys were jerks and had 9 or so of them before I even got there. :[
Eggz ... Silent Wolf ... Shane ... Otto
WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!?

It takes more tricks and is tougher from Luigi's standpoint for sure LOL. But when Ganon does that aerial and Luigi shields it, nothing happens. If Ganon does the aerial and Luigi WDs away, nothing happens. This entire match up would be a stalemate if Ganon couldn't aerial closer and closer across the stage. But that's where Luigi's tricks come in, whether it's WD into attacks, ftilts on the spot, and Luigi's great combo game making it worth the risk when he does get inside. Getting inside is nearly impossible to do without getting destroyed occasionally, but it's enough. Sure Ganon can spam and be safe, but Luigi is trickziez enough to find a way in, much like Shiek or whoever else loves being inside, that could lead to a stock. But Luigi gets in easier than shiek (he just can't camp like her so he has no choice but to go for it)

Ka was rusty too. ;) lol <3

btw, when me and Eric come to Montreal etc in April/Febuary (whenever), wanna house us for a night? It's just a week vacation of smash for us to **** you ECers. :)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Frame datas...

Luigi Spot Dodge:
Invulnerable: 2-15
Total: 22

Luigi dsmash:
Fit Hitbox: 5-6

Ganon fair:
Hitbox: 14-19
L-Canceled lag: 12

Ganon jab:
Hitbox: 3-5

putting it all together, if you dodge with one of the last 3 frames of your spotdodge and dsmash immediately... you'll win/tie (dsmash probably wins priority, but I don't know that 100%). Otherwise, welcome to thunderjab, population: your face.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Ganon is sooo easy to keep off the stage. He lives forever, but with decent edge guarding you can keep him off indefinitely.

I want to play Kage in a less pressured situation then crews.

Kage, Money Match?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
This...I love and hate this ^^^

Luigi isn't all that bad against Ganon. Just like Kage said up there somewhere ^^^
It's not close to unwinnable or improbable that Luigi can beat Ganon. Do it with Shiek and Flaco too sure, but weegee can do it easy. ;D
That 17-14 score against Ka is all best of 5s, like 1 score = one best of 5 win (3 games). We played at the bare minimum 93 matches, it was most likely more since it wasn't 3-0 all the time of course. So ya of course it's possible.. nothing is impossible it's just less likely you are gonna win. If he can do it, why can't anyone else unlock their full potential? =D

Ganon is sooo easy to keep off the stage. He lives forever, but with decent edge guarding you can keep him off indefinitely.

I want to play Kage in a less pressured situation then crews.

Kage, Money Match?
Ok, we can do it at Pound 4 if I see you, I'll just ask you or something. =P

Juce

Smash Ace
I think I might have given that Kage/Ka Master tape to Ka a while ago. Either that or its sitting in my room somewhere

eggz

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You guys should record that MM if possible. Should be a good one.

Ganon has a slight advantage on Luigi imo.. 55/45 or 60/40 for those who like numbers.

It's a fun matchup. And Pakman is right.. Luigi can easily keep Ganon offstage indefinitely (until he's at kill% for a dair/fair)

Top Bottom