• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas General Discussion

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Sometimes, if I space it poorly, I'll hit with one of the initial attacks and not the release hit (the one that sends backward,) is that what you mean? A hit that just makes them flinch slightly?
Yea, that's what he means.

I think it's fine. It rarely happens to me and when it does I never get punished for it because I DJC fair when it happens. I think its just due to how the hold hitboxes when repeating can hit their model out of the range for a release hitbox, even for a frame.
2.6 magnet with b-reversals would be perfect imo, but without it is still really amazing.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I just wanted to make sure you were talking about wavebouncing/b-reversing and not just turning around. :p
I personally take a 33% faster magnet over a cool-but-situational momentum trick. I agree that it could be useful after people mastered it, but in my view a jump from a frame 3 Magnet to a frame 2 Magnet is more beneficial in the long run for Lucas.
Wait his magnet used to be frame 3 in 2.5? I was under the impression it was active on frame 5 according to the hitboxes thread. So he has a frame 2 magnet now?

Burnsy

Smash Lord
No, it was frame 4 in 2.5. Now its 3.

Edit:

My mistake, I got confused. In 2.5 the startup was 4 frames, making it out on frame 5. Now the startup is 3 frames, so it is out on 4.

Either of those are really fast considering what it does and the options it grants.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Are you asking for the frame (dis)advantage from jab1 on sheild? I could try to get that for you some time tonight.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Well, apparently it is about -5 or -4, but the method I used to calculate seems a little sketchy.

After LTC I plan to set up a P:M codeset with frame advance so I can get the block advantage for this and a lot of other moves. I'd feel better getting it this way.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm ashamed, I linked Naerok to you guys dozens of times now and I still don't see noob Calabrel or anyone using DJC aerials off platforms like he use to before he DJC'd himself into the planet to never be seen again.

Also don't understand how Oracle thought 2.5 Dair was bad or worse than the current, but as much as Arkimbald still hates the new Dair I felt 2.5 Dair was like.. almost too good/used, but just barely. Anyways right now Lucas is really fun, I'm still having to use Tap jump for DJC'ing Side-b though compared to when I was able to just use jump button which is a little annoying.

He also feels a tad more smooth again kind of like 2.1 Lucas.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
So due to the way B-reversals are hard programmed to occur on the 5th frame of an action we cannot have the one frame faster Magnet (2.5 hit frame 5, currently at frame 4) and the B-reversal.

I know a few people have left scattered thoughts on this but I would like to hear from any active Lucas mains as soon as possible on which of the two you think will be the most useful in the long run.

Also, at least one person was under the impression that you cannot use Down-B to turnaround without the B-reversal -- this is not the case, you can still turn around based upon your inputs on the first frame of the move... just fyi.

Again, sorry he can't have both.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
So, while I was on the flight to LTC I worked on a little something to hold people over until I finish updating the hitbox/frame data thread (again, I want to have it done ASAP after LTC, hopefully by next weekend).

UNOFFICIAL 2.6 LUCAS CHANGES

This list was made by taking Brawlbox data for 2.5 Lucas and 2.6 Lucas and comparing the differences to come up with these changes. A few of these were done at a glance but it all should be accurate. This doesn't include every change, but it should include the vast majority of significant changes that aren't related to hitbox placement. If you have any doubts about something you see and would like to confirm, or just have something you want me to check out, I'll try to get back to you.

Any move you don't see here is because I did not notice any changes worth mentioning.

Code:
Jab1

Startup decreased by 2 frames
Inner and Outer hitbox both now send at the same angle
Transitions to Jab 2 sooner
Knockback and angles slightly reworked
Endlag is the same

Jab2

Jab 2 now goes straight into 2.5's 3rd and final hit. The 2nd hit from 2.5 is gone.
About 7 frames more endlag

Utilt
Hitboxes slightly reworked
Strong hit decreased from 11 to 10 damage
Stronger hit is now at the start, not the end
Weak hitboxes last 4 frames (was 2)

Usmash
Knockback scales with damage at a 5% lower rate

NAIR
Repeating Hitboxes completely reworked, including both placement, coverage, and direction
Final hit not sends at a 5 degree more vertical angle
Animation adjustments, may affect endlag

FAIR

Early sweetspot increased in damage by 1% to 13.
Same sweetspot recieves hefty 16% KB growth increase

BAIR

Completely new move
Slightly faster startup (was 12, now 11)
Compared to 2.5 bair, the 2.6 intial hit is 1% weaker, does 15-20 less knockback, 6% more KB growth, and has a Sakurai angle rather than 2.5's very low 38 degree angle
Recieves a true spike at the end (frame 13)
Ends much earlier

UAIR

Sweetspot removed

DAIR

Completely new move
All hits do 5 damage. Hits 3 times for a total of 15. 2.5 Dair's sweetspot was only 13%
Comparing 2.5 dair to 2.6 final hit:
very similar angle, and large knockback increases on the final hit that compensate it only doing 5% damage.

Stand Grab
Grab reaches full range sooner

DASHGRAB
No change

TURNGRAB

Starts up 1 frame faster

Throws did not change

Side-B Ground
Ends 15 frames sooner

Side-B Air
Autocancel removed? Or at least the way it was coded in 2.5 was removed.
Obviously a lot more "background" changes that are hard to understand without programming expertise.

Up-B
10% less knockback growth on initial hit, doubled KB growth on repeating hits behind lucas
repeating hits do 2 damage instead of 3

Down-B Hold
Down-B starts one frame faster (loses b-reverse ability)
Aerial Down-b Is no longer exactly like the grounded version: now appears to have a alternative hitboxes depending on if an opponent is grounded or airborne.
Received a 2nd hitbox (identical to the first) "inside" Lucas (it now covers the same range as the release hitboxes).

T-block

B2B TST
So due to the way B-reversals are hard programmed to occur on the 5th frame of an action we cannot have the one frame faster Magnet (2.5 hit frame 5, currently at frame 4) and the B-reversal.

I know a few people have left scattered thoughts on this but I would like to hear from any active Lucas mains as soon as possible on which of the two you think will be the most useful in the long run.

Also, at least one person was under the impression that you cannot use Down-B to turnaround without the B-reversal -- this is not the case, you can still turn around based upon your inputs on the first frame of the move... just fyi.

Again, sorry he can't have both.
My vote's for the faster magnet.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I was undecided but arkimbald said the breversal has too much uses to ditch it

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
I believe the B-Reversal was more useful than having a faster Magnet. The combo and recovery usages on the B-Reversals were just too good.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
yeah I prefer the b-reversal over the 1 frame

maybe that's just because I don't pay much attention to the frame data stuff though

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The only bad thing is I'd think my skill and urge to multi-shine to be slightly more effective/cooler from it faster, but even if I was still undecided when they chose to go with the B-reverse I couldn't get that upset over a frame

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is this B reversal thing you guys are talking about? Are you talking about being able to do a down B in the direction opposite that you're facing while in midair? If so, It's still very easy to do it...

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
If you press backwards in the air just after using a special move, you turn around in mid-air, keeping all your momentum. AKA wavebouncing.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'd take the extra 1 frame startup speed over that any day. Better shield pressure options as well as combo startup abilities
To be fair, it sounds like you weren't aware of the 2.5 b-reverse or that it had uses, seeing that you confused it with a different tech. Therefore its not surprising to me that you would think that it is less useful than the speed increase.

That's not to say that the speed increase isn't enough to make the difference, as others have said. I think its a question of exactly how useful the b-reverse actually is, which is a more difficult question to answer imo.

I'd like to see 8adges thoughts on faster startup, however, since he has actually done in depth research into Lucas' pressure and combos on a frame by frame basis. I think he would have some interesting input on what options are opened up by the faster magnet.

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
I knew what it was because I've seen it being done before, I just didn't know what it was called. I can see it having some uses but I feel like that extra frame for the down B will be more useful for the lucas metagame in the long run. I feel like there's an insane amount of things lucas can do with his down B and djc that we haven't seen from any lucas mains yet

lukifer

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little confused by the discussion here. If the magnet is increased by a frame then will Lucas be able to turn around after holding it for, say, 20 frames? Or will it only be possible within the first 5? I didn't play him much in 2.5 so I don't know if this is how it used to work.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I'm a little confused by the discussion here. If the magnet is increased by a frame then will Lucas be able to turn around after holding it for, say, 20 frames? Or will it only be possible within the first 5? I didn't play him much in 2.5 so I don't know if this is how it used to work.
You would need to input the reverse within the first 4 frames. If you did that in 2.5 then on the 5th frame he would be turned around and have reversed momentum.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I have a random question that my PMBR friend couldn't answer for me, but I thought maybe you guys could.

Why does Lucas have no moonwalk? I love his movement regardless, I just wish he had one

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Ike was able to MW a little bit (a little less than Marth) in 2.1, then they increased his dash animation distance in 2.5 which ruined it. I still think they're able to give characters better MWs without effecting anything else but I'm not sure. Otherwise they don't give them MWs for the same reason they don't give everyone the ability to WJ like Marth (which is no reason really, just making some characters cooler than others I guess). They'd also have to give Ness a MW as well (they also made his shine JC'able after Lucas got it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f5XPw2vEh0

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Ike was able to MW a little bit (a little less than Marth) in 2.1, then they increased his dash animation distance in 2.5 which ruined it. I still think they're able to give characters better MWs without effecting anything else but I'm not sure. Otherwise they don't give them MWs for the same reason they don't give everyone the ability to WJ like Marth (which is no reason really, just making some characters cooler than others I guess). They'd also have to give Ness a MW as well (they also made his shine JC'able after Lucas got it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f5XPw2vEh0
Yeah, I figured it was the long foxtrot distance that took it away from him.

all characters can moonwalk; its a general mechanic of how momentum and dashes work
I mean yeah, I knew that. I guess my real question is why doesn't Lucas's moonwalk do anything at all haha. Which is more of a rhetorical question, because I know the technical reason. I just kinda wish Lucas had a moonwalk.

Also I vote B-reversal also. I'm too much of a Brawl kid, I need my wavebounces

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We've decided to stick with the B-reversal for our (not yet released) bug patch. Stay tuned.

Top Bottom