• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's Placement in SBR's Tier List v1.0

Timbers

check me out
Pikachu actually has A LOT going for him that lucario doesn't have. The character playstyles aren't comparable.

QAC - can easily be used to land a Dair, or jumped out of to land an easy sweet-spotted Nair.

Pikachu does well against Dedede (I'm not completely sure, but I've never had much problems with the matchup)

Pikachu is fairly decent at getting vertical KO's (thunder, anyone)

Pikachu can't be edgestalled (thunderbolt)

But the most significant gameplay difference between Pikachu and Lucario is that Lucario doesn't drive you mad with an annoying combination of cuteness and endless taunting. Lucario would never say Pika Pika! twenty times in a single match.
Pretty sure I was comparing potential and overall capacity, not similiarites. Most of the time, Pikachu is forced to play the defensive, or risks very early and devastating deaths. Characters that can handle the thunderbolts are the ones that drives Pikachu's game into the ground. Same goes for Diddy's bananas. Those projectiles are both very easily dealt with. Both are ground-centric, and hardly maneuverable. That's why Falco is considered the worst matchup for Diddy, and (I believe GaW?) is considered the worst for Pikachu. Those characters can deal with said character's projectiles with ease.

Pikachu has like no off-the-stage game either, definitely not compared to Lucario and Diddy, at least.

You might argue that this is the reason Lucario has difficulty with GaW, but that's hardly it. Aurasphere is one of the few saving graces in the matches to punish GaW's heavy afterlag on most of his moves. It's just the general **** that he can deliver in the air against Lucario.

"Oh, but then any character with a better airgame must do well against Lucario?"

Nope. Metaknight, Wario, Luigi, Peach, etc. All considered to have great/amazing air games. All pretty **** easy to overcome given they can get around Luc's airgame so well (Wario and Peach debatable) Luc's versatile. He doesn't have only one good trick going for him. He has answers and potential in every aspect of his game. Diddy and Pikachu can't get the ball rolling without their projectiles, which are easily dealt with by a decent amount of characters.

I don't see how those two can surpass Lucario how they are, and assuming how the metagame develops in a year will be silly, as all 3 of them have plenty of potential to improve.

X After Dawn X said:
Fox is high tier
You probably shouldn't have said that, I'm questioning you right now lol.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Hmmm...well, let's take a look at the official stage list, eh? First, I will quote something:

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Now, if that were true...why in the name of some absolutely vile curse word is Norfair legal? Why...is Pirate Ship legal(love that stage personally, but...)? Why is Skyworld still legal? Moving on to the next point:
You can technically stall on any stage, but the line gets blurry on certain stages in which it's just plain too easy to stall, like New Pork City, or stages with large loops that quick characters can run around in, like Spear Pillar and Hyrule Temple. They're not going to ban Pirate Ship just because like 5 characters can stall there by diving under the rudder. Diving under the rudder has only one purpose: stalling, so it's extremely easy to just tell someone. I don't know why you brought up Skyworld or Norfair, though.

CHAIN-GRABBING IS PATHETICALLY EASY TO PULL OFF IN THIS GAME. Now, if the SBR knew this, why did they make Green Hill Zone, Mario Circuit, and Yoshi's Island(Pipes) legal? ANYONE can pick D3 and EASILY CG you to your death every stock. Stupid.
You can just get him back by camping out the sides, or avoiding the walk-offs and sticking to platforms. Also, nothing's stopping you from just choosing a different character for those stages who can't be CG'd or just outright banning them yourself. Also, Mario Circuit is in the counterpick/banned section. Remember that it's entirely your fault if you choose to use a CG'able character, as the rules also state that once they tell you the stage, you are allowed to change characters.

Why is Castle Siege even considered possibly neutral? Why is Halberd neutral at all? That's Snake and MK heaven, plus half the time you're not even on a full playing field, just one little platform. GARBAGE.
What in the world does Castle Siege have that's enough to even slightly tip the match in a character's favor? There are so many platforms on the second area that if you get CG'd off the side by a DDD during the very short time it appears that it's ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT, not the stage's. The stage does absolutely nothing intrusive to your match except for messing with campers during the second phase, which is why it was put in the counterpick section as well. Halberd is Neutral/Counterpick. It does absolutely nothing that can be problematic that isn't given out days beforehand. If you get caught in the laser because you were too blind to notice the gigantic blue crosshair on your face and the blaring of the blinking warning sound, then that just means you're an idiot who needs to start paying attention. <.< Also, if the MK spamming Uair under the stage is such a problem, you can just stay on the top platform, and the Meta Knight must either stop moving around under the stage, or get penalized for stalling. Why you believe it's Snake heaven, though, I might never understand. He has nothing on Halberd that he doesn't have on like every other platform'd stage.

And that's just the stage list. I've got plenty of other beef with their idiocy, but that's part of it. I could list the tier list, but I haven't even looked at it because I really don't care about it.
If you're really such an expert on these matters to the degree that you can call THEM idiots, why haven't you been nominated to enter there?

Now, don't get me wrong, the SBR was very, very good at what they did for Melee. Their stage list and rule-set, etc. was perfect for Melee and it's fast pace, with hit stun and true combos, they really chose well. And they made the tier list completely correct. For Brawl however...they haven't adjusted well at all and therefore have many incorrect observations. It's gonna take them some time before I trust their judgment.
Why do you believe they haven't adjusted well? Did you not notice the fact that 99% of the current top players in Brawl were very very good at Melee? This is obviously just a coincidence and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they might actually know a little bit more about this game than you do, right? After all, that's just crazy talk!

And let's make this real' clear: not everyone in there is an idiot. But the fools far outweigh the wise.
See two responses above.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
You can just get him back by camping out the sides, or avoiding the walk-offs and sticking to platforms. Also, nothing's stopping you from just choosing a different character for those stages who can't be CG'd or just outright banning them yourself. Also, Mario Circuit is in the counterpick/banned section. Remember that it's entirely your fault if you choose to use a CG'able character, as the rules also state that once they tell you the stage, you are allowed to change characters.
A stage that forces over half the cast to switch characters to have a reasonable chance of winning does not belong in the counterpick section, it belongs under "banned."

SBR's stage legality list was a huge joke.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
A stage that forces over half the cast to switch characters to have a reasonable chance of winning does not belong in the counterpick section, it belongs under "banned."

SBR's stage legality list was a huge joke.
Actually, after looking it over, I found a different problem for the chaingrab. In Yoshi's Isle, if he tries Dthrowing on one of the yellow blocks, he'll fly away like a jump-release and become completely open to attack. He also can't chaingrab downhill. By staying on the left side of the stage, you're perfectly safe from the chaingrab killing you.

I have no excuse for Green Hill Zone, though. >>

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, after looking it over, I found a different problem for the chaingrab. In Yoshi's Isle, if he tries Dthrowing on one of the yellow blocks, he'll fly away like a jump-release and become completely open to attack. He also can't chaingrab downhill. By staying on the left side of the stage, you're perfectly safe from the chaingrab killing you.

I have no excuse for Green Hill Zone, though. >>
I don't completely understand Green Hill Zone, but Yoshi's Pipe Island was made a counterpick on the basis that it counterpicks MK.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Just don't get close to D3 until there's a hole in the stage, then he can't chain you all the way across.

Still an awful stage choice in my opinion.

You can technically stall on any stage, but the line gets blurry on certain stages in which it's just plain too easy to stall, like New Pork City, or stages with large loops that quick characters can run around in, like Spear Pillar and Hyrule Temple. They're not going to ban Pirate Ship just because like 5 characters can stall there by diving under the rudder. Diving under the rudder has only one purpose: stalling, so it's extremely easy to just tell someone. I don't know why you brought up Skyworld or Norfair, though.

What in the world does Castle Siege have that's enough to even slightly tip the match in a character's favor? There are so many platforms on the second area that if you get CG'd off the side by a DDD during the very short time it appears that it's ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT, not the stage's. The stage does absolutely nothing intrusive to your match except for messing with campers during the second phase, which is why it was put in the counterpick section as well. Halberd is Neutral/Counterpick. It does absolutely nothing that can be problematic that isn't given out days beforehand. If you get caught in the laser because you were too blind to notice the gigantic blue crosshair on your face and the blaring of the blinking warning sound, then that just means you're an idiot who needs to start paying attention. <.< Also, if the MK spamming Uair under the stage is such a problem, you can just stay on the top platform, and the Meta Knight must either stop moving around under the stage, or get penalized for stalling. Why you believe it's Snake heaven, though, I might never understand. He has nothing on Halberd that he doesn't have on like every other platform'd stage.

If you're really such an expert on these matters to the degree that you can call THEM idiots, why haven't you been nominated to enter there?

Why do you believe they haven't adjusted well? Did you not notice the fact that 99% of the current top players in Brawl were very very good at Melee? This is obviously just a coincidence and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they might actually know a little bit more about this game than you do, right? After all, that's just crazy talk!
Fist...just please relax Kita. I don't like talking to people who are jerks.

Now...you're point on CG'ing is still in support of my opinion. So what if you can get them back by simply bthrow camping at the edge of the stage? Doesn't that just make the stage EVEN MORE bannable? Hallo?

And also...some of the stages are in neutral. Hmmm...actually, never mind on that part, because of the stupid stage striking rule. But then again, why have them in there if you're going to do that in the first place? It kinda takes away the point of having any neutral stages at all. Might as well just make all the stages "neutral" if you're going to vote out all but one, huh? Random's better.

Why have I not been nominated? Because I don't want to be. And I seriously doubt that they KNEW more about the game than I did, they just knew how to implement it better. And people in the SBR weren't necessarily and are still not necessarily pros. They're just people who post well on Smashboards, like me, you, and Timbers.:lick:

Have you ever played a good MK? Who cares about uair spam. Big deal. He can kill you at under 20% if he wants to on Halberd. Easily. He just gets one up-b off and you're dead, and that's really easy to do at a stage that has only one platform half the time. Not so bad for Snake, but he can still kill you really early on due to a ceiling as low as Corneria's.

And Norfair? If you've ever played someone who's good at stalling there you won't ever hit them. Hmmm...nevermind forget it. If stalling's banned then it's pointless. But then again, wouldn't that just make stages like Hyrule Temple and New Pork legal too? After all, how could you NOT stall at stages like those? Same thing with Norfair. You will start to stall if you know how to abuse that stage. It's way to easy to not abuse.

And the thing on adjusting was aimed at the SBR, which is NOT made up of all the "pros." The pros obviously have adjusted, but the SBR as a whole? Nope. Still don't like it.

EDIT: About CG'ing on Yoshi's Island(pipes)...why would you CG DOWN the hill? CG UP the hill to the blast-zone and your opponents' death.

Is that helpful?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Fist...just please relax Kita. I don't like talking to people who are jerks.

Now...you're point on CG'ing is still in support of my opinion. So what if you can get them back by simply bthrow camping at the edge of the stage? Doesn't that just make the stage EVEN MORE bannable? Hallo?
Nope. Camping is a perfectly legitimate tactic. It's annoying, but it's just a tactic.

And also...some of the stages are in neutral. Hmmm...actually, never mind on that part, because of the stupid stage striking rule. But then again, why have them in there if you're going to do that in the first place? It kinda takes away the point of having any neutral stages at all. Might as well just make all the stages "neutral" if you're going to vote out all but one, huh? Random's better.
You've... never been to a tournament before, have you? Neutral stages are the ones chosen by Random for the first match in the set. Once someone wins, counterpicking starts.

Why have I not been nominated? Because I don't want to be. And I seriously doubt that they KNEW more about the game than I did, they just knew how to implement it better. And people in the SBR weren't necessarily and are still not necessarily pros. They're just people who post well on Smashboards, like me, you, and Timbers.:lick:
Have you ever played a good MK? Who cares about uair spam. Big deal. He can kill you at under 20% if he wants to on Halberd. Easily. He just gets one up-b off and you're dead, and that's really easy to do at a stage that has only one platform half the time. Not so bad for Snake, but he can still kill you really early on due to a ceiling as low as Corneria's.
...Wtf? Someone's exaggerating just a little bit? If you're dying at 20%, you must have some REALLY screwed DI.

And Norfair? If you've ever played someone who's good at stalling there you won't ever hit them. Hmmm...nevermind forget it. If stalling's banned then it's pointless. But then again, wouldn't that just make stages like Hyrule Temple and New Pork legal too? After all, how could you NOT stall at stages like those? Same thing with Norfair. You will start to stall if you know how to abuse that stage. It's way to easy to not abuse.
Norfair doesn't have a loop. They have to directly get past their opponent in order to stall on the other side. It's CAMP-heaven, not STALL heaven.

And the thing on adjusting was aimed at the SBR, which is NOT made up of all the "pros." The pros obviously have adjusted, but the SBR as a whole? Nope. Still don't like it.
More pros than not-pros.

EDIT: About CG'ing on Yoshi's Island(pipes)...why would you CG DOWN the hill? CG UP the hill to the blast-zone and your opponents' death.
If you force the DDD to always have the high ground, you're safe from his chaingrabs completely.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
i second timbers, he has to go offensive, he dosent really have off stage options, his projectile is terrabad, his recovery is insanely easy to gimp. need i say more?

to topic: i think that, there may be undiscovered things about uair seeing as Lucario's body becomes a hitbox for it, after the tourny this weekend im gonna be experimenting with it to see what it can do for real, im thinking that on disjointed hitbox characters may ultimately become ruined by it. and hence greatly boost Lucario's position

Nope. Camping is a perfectly legitimate tactic. It's annoying, but it's just a tactic.
Hmmm...well, I guess you could argue that. To an extent. However, I still don't see why make those stages legal. It's not hard to CG. At all. And similarly, if you try to beat out your opponent by simply edge camping on the walk-off blast-zones, that's really just another form of auto-win. I see no point in having stages that require no skill whatsoever to win on legal. Dumb. There are plenty of other stages to camp on without the same effect occurring(such as Green Greens), but stages like those(GHZ, Mario Circuit, Pipes...) are just lose. If you approach, get grabbed and die instantly. LOSE. It's a lose:lose situation.

You've... never been to a tournament before, have you? Neutral stages are the ones chosen by Random for the first match in the set. Once someone wins, counterpicking starts.
Nah, I've been to plenty of tournaments before, and I've placed in the top ten in all of them(including those for Melee). Went to CO for some stuff, plus one of the best MK's in the nation lives here. It's just that there is no longer "random." Rather, it's now called Stage-Striking. That's what I was referring to, sorry if I confused you there! It's a pointless system, really. If you're going to use it, then why only have some of the stages neutral? Just make 'em all neutral. If you random it up, then stage-striking(dumbest rule in existence) does not occur and I'm ok. But if you do random...there shouldn't be that many stages to be considered "neutral," especially not Halberd.

...Wtf? Someone's exaggerating just a little bit? If you're dying at 20%, you must have some REALLY screwed DI.
Nope. I've played DSF before(actually almost beat him once or twice in tourney, but I suicided twice in the same match...hey, I was nervous!!), and you know what? You die from anywhere between 20-50% on Halberd. It's not neutral, I don't care what you or any one else say. Play a really good MK who knows how to gimp you with the up-b. It's garbage. MK's already hard enough to beat, but this...this just goes too far. This stage should never be neutral.

Norfair doesn't have a loop. They have to directly get past their opponent in order to stall on the other side. It's CAMP-heaven, not STALL heaven.
Mmmm...not necessarily. See, MK and Jiggs and Pit and such can just fly underneath the stage. Loop is therefore created. Go back and forth, trick your opponent, whatever. You're not gonna get hit. It takes no skill to win on. If the lava rises, then fly away for a bit by grabbing the ledges over and over again, abusing your invincibility frames. You still don't get hit. Do that the whole match, fly underneath the stage and back the whole match, or do both. Insta-win.

If you force the DDD to always have the high ground, you're safe from his chaingrabs completely.
Agreed. But that's rather ostentatious, don't you think? That is merely assuming that you will ALWAYS be better than the D3. Untrue. They know how to win, and they will do whatever it takes to get that grab off. Besides, if they don't CG you, they'll just bthrow you to your doom. Same effect is achieved, right? You die via gayness. Meh...if you keep that one CP, I suppose I wouldn't mind. But the other ones I really don't agree with. Especially GHZ(WTF?!?).

Timbers

check me out
i second timbers, he has to go offensive, he dosent really have off stage options, his projectile is terrabad, his recovery is insanely easy to gimp. need i say more?
I think calling his recovery easy to gimp might be pushing, it but other than that I agree.

So long as Fox has his midair, it's really easy for him to get back with rising fair or illusion.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
This thread totally made my day!! True, I spent the past five hours studying. but this more than makes up for me.

I know that Lucario is not a top tier material simply because he is not completely broken. He's solid as a character, with no moves that completely **** the rest of the cast (for example: G&W's bucket and aerials, Dedede's CG...). That is how cool he is. You don't win because you have an amazing match-up (ever played a MK using Luigi? I have, and you have NO chance of winning whatsoever), you win because you simply know how to use your character better than the opponent does. That's more than enough for me.

Happy with Ice Climber's (High tier!! Kudos!) position, and okay with Zelda (fireball!!) and Luigi's (SUPER JUMP PAUNCH!!) mid tier, though I think Luigi deserves better.
But Samus? Low tier? *sigh* I pity my Melee main so much right now. She really deserved better...

Kudos for our tier placement, guys!! Now we just gotta knock that dumb Robotic Operating Sissy down and take it's place instead.
Blue Kung-Fu Jackal of Awesomeness forever!!

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
this is for discussing LUCARIO's placement. NOT Foxes, at any rate.. he is fine were he is, especially since wolf and falco are his superiors, he is not the god(even tho imo falco was better..) that was in melee
Well, sorry for bringing him up, but SBR really has underestimated the space animals (with the exception of Falco).

P.S. You guys are forgetting that there's only 4 tiers now, which could explain a lot. I don't know why they even made 4 tiers instead of 5. =/

Timbers

check me out
I just realized Fox was 3 slots from High...yet is 19th on the tier list...lol...

Even still, surpassing Toon, Wolf, and Olimar would be difficult for Fox.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
SBR was very... generous... with what they called "Top" and "High."

Come on, we all know ROB doesn't belong in the same category as Meta Knight and Snake.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Ummm dis Tear List it way wrong cuz Lookario shood by da best karactur in da gaym cuz he getz a fire boost wen da NME hitz him a bunch uv times. Hiz Down B moves do lots uv damage when he hitz ppl with dem also. This is Y Lookario shood be Top Tear an Abuv meat night and snayk.

Timbers

check me out
I'm sure the next tier list will have a defined top and bottom tier. They brought this tier list out really early, so determining specifics may have been difficult. Even with Top, it's hard to say if DDD deserves Top or not. As the game's been progressing, we're seeing that Snake's not as dangerous as we previously thought. There's a very thin line seperating Snake and DDD/GaW/Falco, I personally think. If the SBR shared any part of my opinion, then I can see why they wanted to leave it undefined until later in the future. Same goes for bottom tier (but nobody cares about that)

Trapt497

Smash Ace
^^Tallen you are the coolest Brazilian guy i know. And i know...about one.
But...you're still cooler than the rest :D.

this is for discussing LUCARIO's placement. NOT Foxes, at any rate..
Thank you.

Ummm dis Tear List it way wrong cuz Lookario shood by da best karactur in da gaym cuz he getz a fire boost wen da NME hitz him a bunch uv times. Hiz Down B moves do lots uv damage when he hitz ppl with dem also. This is Y Lookario shood be Top Tear an Abuv meat night and snayk.
QFT.

No comments on fox, or ROB, or whatever.

So, is lucario going up or down in the future? Because the tiers will change. And i want to hear moar opinions. No fighting...lol *glares at Kitamerby* haha jk.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
It doesn't matter if he moves up one spot or down one spot, all that matters is that he's considered high tier, and if the SBR decides to randomly make him middle without an explanation, proof, or evidence for it, then they're even more stupid than I thought.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
How many other Lucarios place as well as Azen? >_<
I do!

But I switch to MK when I lose a single game ! Then I go win the tourney :D

btw, I was just counting moneyz from brawl,

1084$ :D

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
Well, sorry for bringing him up, but SBR really has underestimated the space animals (with the exception of Falco).

P.S. You guys are forgetting that there's only 4 tiers now, which could explain a lot. I don't know why they even made 4 tiers instead of 5. =/
i dont care who the underestimate, i really dont. but what i DO care about is you ranting on in this thread and trying to get us to main fox, please stop. if you wanna QQ about Fox's placement, do it in his boards. heres some evidence for you; both Wolf and Falco are better then fox, reason enough for him not to be in the same tier. im done talking about fox in this thread, im out.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I'm not trying to get you to main Fox, I was just using him as an example of how the SBR underestimates and overestimates certain characters...

...the point of my posts went over your head. All I was saying is that you shouldn't play a character because he's high or middle tier, because it's your personal beliefs that should count, and who you find fun to play.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I'm not trying to get you to main Fox, I was just using him as an example of how the SBR underestimates and overestimates certain characters...

...the point of my posts went over your head. All I was saying is that you shouldn't play a character because he's high or middle tier, because it's your personal beliefs that should count, and who you find fun to play.
Isn't that the whole reason most of us play lucario?
Cause we love to play him. Srsly, did we care that he was the underdog? No.
Did we still have an amazing time with everything lucario related? Yes.
Does the tier list change anything or mean anything? No.

We liked Lucario before, just as much as we do now. Having a title of high on the tier list is just a bonus.
-t2

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman

We liked Lucario before, just as much as we do now. Having a title of high on the tier list is just a bonus.
-t2
QFT.

On a side note I've been gone for too long.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master

-t2
Good. Keep it that way. :)

Trapt497

Smash Ace

-t2
I'm going to have to quote this one for truth too. t2 wins.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

-t2

-t2

-t2
10annoyances

jk, but I don't care about tier bits either. I main Lucario for the SCIENCE!

Trapt497

Smash Ace
^^haha. I don't get the point yet, can someone quote it for me again?

LOL jk jk. But yeah that was a great point.

Philnye, I wonder what the tier list would look like if science was involved.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914

like i said, dont QQ about fox in here.. do it in his boards

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I'd love to say that I'm a Lucario loyal and play him solely because I enjoy it, but if that were the case then I would still be maining Ness and Lucas.

Lucario went from being my secondary to my main because he didn't suffer like those two do at the hands of counter-picks who can chain grab them.

It's all very well and good to say you play a character solely because you enjoy them, but their bearings on the tier list should also be important. If everybody just played the most fun character or the one they liked the most in fighting games, then everyone would be playing joke characters like Neko Arc, Roll and Pichu.

We main Lucario not just becasue we like him, but because he's versatile and powerful.

Top Bottom