• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Metagame Discussion

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
you don't even need to talk to contribute on skype.

you could just type in the chat in skype.

idk if skype has chatlogs tho

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Just a reminder, that we will be discussion Falco this sunday at 7pm central time.

Can someone get some Falco mains on there, or people that are highly knowledgeable in the match up?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
We covered four of the seven match-ups with surprise guest Vinnie helping out with Lucario vs Game and Watch.

thank you people who showed up, We will need to schedule another one for the rest of the match-ups assuming we have time to do it of course.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Since there were members not in the Lucario backroom that helped out I'm gonna post it out here as well since I feel like it is far for them to see the fruits of their labor.

Ok I talked on Skype with the Lucario's with surprise guest Vinnie who helped with Lucario vs G&W.

I'll go in order.

Lucario vs Jigglypuff.

She has zoning simular to Wario, however she lacks the fallspeed and livability he has which are very key in this match-up. Lucario can some moves that can trade with some of her aerials, Bair for example. She has a killing issue, a very large one. She dies the earliest of any character in the game, by the time she can kill Lucario's moveset is a kill move on her, not joking most of his move-set will kill up upfront. On the flip side her only reliable kill movets are Fair, Fsmash, and a gimp, most reliable being fair. Her grab game is fine, and shouldn't be overlooked. She doesn't make to commit to anything but the main issue is that even while she isn't commiting, she still has to be careful, mistakes will equal damage and the higher Lucario gets the easier it will be for him to kill her.

To give the benefit of the doubt, +2 seems to be the ratio given. She is underdeveloped, and experience against her is quite limited Maybe int he future we will be proven wrong, so a +3 is not called for, however until someone can prove it +2 is the only ratio that can be used at this time.

~

Lucario vs Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong has better kill power, people have acknowledged this, he also has better spacing, there are problems with this however. First off, his kill power is better when he lands it on a read, and the reads need to be pretty strong ones. He best Kill move to land is Dsmash, but that comes out on frame 10 and lasts quite a while with end lag, might have IASA frames not sure, Every kill move outside of Donkey Punch is punishable. His spacing is good until people look at how he spaces, Donkey Kong sppacing with hurtboxes, which Lucario can take advantage of. Pivot grabs can also shut down spaced Ftilt because of how he goes for the Ftilt, Lucario can grab the arm based ont he information given during the chat. Aura Sphere becomes MVP at high %, it beats out all of his spacing tools and kills. Lucario can juggle and shield poke really well in the MU, DK's shield isn't very good and things like dair can poke with other shield pressure, juggles are a results of his moveset in the air, in front of him he lacks options to fight off Lucario speed wise.

Both character can harass the other when recovering, Donkey Kong's bair will semi Wall of Pain Lucario is he is not careful and put him out farther. on the flip side, Lucario's Uair and Dair will beat out his UpB.

We are saying a 0, like I said before both characters have silly things on each other, but it's even when played out.

~

Lucario vs G&W.

Vinnie helped out with this info in the chat we had tonight. The match-up seems a lot about baiting each other to do certain actions and punishing it. Shutter step Fsmash beats out G&W's aerial approaches. However if he goes grounded or above Lucario he can to punish it, not sure about grounded completely. G&W can juggle Lucario pretty well, dair is not a universal answer in this match-up, G&W can wait to bait and punish it from the sides or just outright beat it with UpB if he times it right. G&W can tech chase Lucario on many fronts, such as Dthrow, teching landings, etc.

Lucario's Aura Sphere is good when Mr. G&W isn't off stage, offstage may seem like a good idea but really G&W has nothing to fear because Lucario can't follow up on it outside of maybe a fair. On stage is a different story, it's a good punishment tool that can bypass many of his moves, even if G&W buckets it, because of the after lag it can mean a free hit from Lucario afterwards. Lucario is looking to get hits in by staying on the ground more than going into the air.

They both can kill each other pretty well, Mr. G&W is better in the air, Lucario is better on the ground. A lot of it seems about baits and reads.

Going with a 0.

~

Lucario vs MK

Lucario can handle Dair camping, he can handle tornado easily, he can kill slightly better, he can outspace MK in many areas but this doesn't matter when looking everything else. Lucario is much slower on the ground, because of this Ftilt wrecks him if he get into shield, while Lucario can Fsmash and Aura sphere to beat this, they come out too slow at times, compared to MK's Ftilt which comes out pretty fast. Case in point it is almost always easier for MK to space than it is for Lucario to space MK.

The stage list gets him locked into a pick your poison situation, do you want to go to Delfino, Brinstar, or Rainbow Cruise. Based on the discussion Brinstar seemed to be the stage to ban, the others while not as bad still put Lucario into situations very unfavorable, On Fd or Pictochat this match-up is a lot better, but not many areas have picto and FD is almost always, as is should by MK, banned on Lucario.

Gimping and off stage is another issue, With smart DI and staying high, it is very likely Lucario can recover, but he is still in a bad position, MK may have bad air mobility, but Shuttle loop from below still can nail Lucario trying to go over him, put this is conjunction with the problems with landing, even with B reversals on aura sphere and stalling with dair, it a problem.

~

People left when we started to talk about Marth, which still has mixed feelings. Mario no one feels like they know the MU well enough still most people seem to be leaning in Lucario having the advantage, +1 at most. We didn't get to Ness yet.

If Marc can wait till the weekend I can work on those ones with a chat.

~

There ya go guys I'll try and set-up the other ones later.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
If you want to take another crack at Mario, I can talk to my friend Matt.
In his time here in Ottawa, he reached #6 on the power ranking, and he knows a bunch of other Marios.
I can also get MysticHero in there since he's a really old friend of mine that keeps in touch with Matt, too.

Also ffs invite me to these :< I always opt to get rid of Rainbow Cruise and take MK to Delfino or Brinstar.

We have a recovery trick on Brinstar: The walls where the Pit Blocks sit are clingable, we can counter his sharking with dAir, and we can force one another into the acid, and even if we hit it, we're not dying so it's only an aura boost, but all it is for MK is closer to death.

Delfino is all about DIing the shuttle loop downward. The floors are usually made so that if you play right, you can tech into them, and in certain transformations, you can DI into the water, which sounds bad, but at least you're not for-sure dying. Again, we have the counter-shark dAir, and the sloped platforms mean that if we force MK to the higher ground, our aerial game is right in his face.

Rainbow Cruise is the worst of these, but still somewhat manageable in the first half. You can wallcing Donut Lifts and also DI toward them for techs, but after that it pretty much goes downhill and you're going to get ***** until that section comes back.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I personally would rather ban RC for MK than anything else.

I love Brinstar there are soooo many tricks we have there. Plus MK doesn't have as much of a positional advantage when compared to RC.

I'd elaborate more, but I have work. BRB in 9 hours.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll try and get another set-up to discuss the ones we did for people who missed it and the ones we haven't covered.

I'm sorry if I didn't get people who were on, that would be my fault entirely.

culexus・wau

After playing several top MKs

I'm like.

**** brinstar :( its just too easy for us to get timed out there.

I feel like we have more tricks on RC honestly

Steam

Smash Hero
I've long since given up trying to win with lucario on MKs CP. I just train my secondary MK tons on RC and ban brinstar. RC gives me the best chance to pull bull**** due to positional advantages and close blast zones.

culexus・wau

I like the challenge

so long as I'm actually making contact with MK once every 30 seconds or so :(

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Ok guys here is the scoop, we need to have the chat sometime between tonight and Friday to finalize the last three.

Which day works best?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
That was interesting...

Afterwords Flamey told me that we forgot to talk about G&W.

I was like fffffff-

You kids got too entranced by boobies.

We can always talk about G&W Sunday, right?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Here are some things we noticed by watching vids and discussion via Skype. Fair beats out aura sphere untippered at 68%, 91% if tippered, if it’s fresh only, if staled the percentage is even lower, considering this is Marth fair is not going to be fresh if at all. Even with this, we noticed this doesn’t happen very often when fired on landing Marth or him in the air, this seems like it would influence the match-up a lot more but in videos in which we reviewed the match-up, like Trela vs Mike Haze for example, it didn’t happen or if it did very often. Marth does have the option but it doesn’t seem to be as reliable as people are making it out to be. And even if it can the % based facts about it when considering stale changes it, if Marth’s fair stales be even 1%, that means Lucario can be even lower in aura to have his Aura Spheres unchallenged y fair.

Aura sphere provides great reach for getting hits on Marth, Lucario does have moves that can contend in range. Offstage Lucario has ways to provide gimps in on Marth, believe it or not. Fair gimps are possible, just like Aura sphere , bair, dair, he has options to go for a gimp on Marth.

Rising fair is punishable, side B is DI able if you are close enough, uair forms some good uair traps on marth because his air dodge has issues landing though character, with Lucario he can stall in the air with dair to help prevent juggles. Marth is a character who it is better to sometimes challenge his spacing over air dodging during to his spacing and baiting game, trying to air dodge, this tactic seems to work pretty well. Air walking is good out of hit at low %, to get hits out on Marth. Fight him off stage when possible, shoot air sphere at him in the air, sometimes it is better to go with a BAS, Baby Aura Sphere, to land hits on Marth in the air or off stage. Off stage it helps because the end lag off firing it gives Lucario enough time to react to if Marth got hit, air dodged, or tried to fair it out.

Speaking of air dodges, Marth is actually a lot better to get uair traps on due to his air dodge being kind of poor. Marth has issues when Lucario is below him rather than side to side like he wants. Marth can defend with Dair which has notable lag, counter which won’t hit Lucario or stall with dancing blade, which still has him above Lucario with landing.

Shield Breaker is still just a mix-up, good Marth do use it as such but it’s not as important as the other aspects of the match-up. Marth could do something fancy like B reversed Shield breaker or landing mix-up but it’s not like it makes the match-up worse by any means, just that he has the option to use it, also it doesn’t garentee a broken shield, if it doesn’t break his shield it’s very punishable on block
Lucario should try to space up-close or outside of tipper range, this way he can keep himself outside or inside where the hits aren’t going to kill him, like tippered Fsmash, tippered fair, etc.

After consulting Lucario’s and asking others for things they know about the MU and thought, we are going with a 0.

~

So people not in the backroom who helped can see.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
IceDX I was actually going to contact you, to see if you wanted in on this discussion next weekend. You and TKD as well, but I read that he didn't want to download skype.

Top Bottom