• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Noa.

Smash Master
Pit is an easy matchup. Your side b camping should completely shut down any chance he has at camping. When he approaches on the ground you shut down all his options with fsmash and grab. When he approaches with his aerials shield them and then either shield grab or usmash OOS. You can also pivot grab his approaches. Do not try to challenge his moves with our moves. They out prioritize is badly. Just punish his lag.

I don't know enough about zss to give you advice.

I suggest you go on YouTube and find vids of decent Olis playing against these characters. Look for RichBrown, Dabuz, Anuar, Denti, Fino, and Logic.

:phone:

tmh2615

Smash Rookie
Does Olimar have more of a ground style attack? Or a aerial style? Or is he just a beast and can do both at very high levels?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Both, IMO. We used to think that being in the air is bad, but all the Japanolimars are aerial all the time and do well.

IIRC

Noa.

Smash Master
Olimar is a very ground focused character, but his aerial game is very important too. His aerial game just gives him so much more options. You need to use both. Really the hard part is learning when to go into the air. But it's vital if you want to be successful.

Noa.

Smash Master
Actually if iirc, when Oli jab1 an opponent on the floor, it will lock them once. If you cancel it again and hit them while they're still on the floor, they stand up. So we can't lock.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Not too sure though.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm trying to jab lock with Olimar, but it's nearly impossible, but I will try more times

P.S: antena hitbox uh? I will try that

tmh2615

Smash Rookie
I recently played a competitive Ganondorf and dont really no much about him but apparently he has this combo against olimar where he flame chokes and then Dsmashes and no matter what buttons i press he always hits me with both. Anyway out of this?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Smash DI...

Pressing buttons won't do anything but guarantee you getting hit.... lol...

EDIT:

Alternatively, fsmash beats every move Ganon has. Spam that ****, and it shouldn't even be a problem to begin with :p

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Hey, it's good to make a training session with a level 9 CPU (with the competitive rules) ? And when you can know that you are doing it cool? when you win without loosing lives?

tmh2615

Smash Rookie
Now when you say Smash DI you mean...sorry im not up on my terms.

Do u mean as soon as he hits me with the first part of the Dsmash tilt my analog stick away from the second part? Or point the C-Stick away from the second part.

Got it. Ill do that lol.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
[yt]Ecrl_hzvPlM[/yt]

There's also information on dual-stick SDI here.

Hey, it's good to make a training session with a level 9 CPU (with the competitive rules) ? And when you can know that you are doing it cool? when you win without loosing lives?
Training with CPUs is mostly for exploring your character's traits, stage mechanics, and your punishment options. It isn't really for learning specific matchups, as CPUs are terrible and have habits that are incredibly easy to exploit.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If you just DI up, the 2nd hit of Ganon's dsmash won't hit you and you can bair him for free. You should be holding up anyway because if you get flamechoked at 70% you will get ftilted and thats gonna be horrible.

If you are getting flame choked, the matchup is going to seem pretty hopeless because he can do alot of horrible things to you.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I spam the same move over and over on CPUs until thy teach me the way to counter that move. Basically I use CPUs to learn what moves work in which situations. Then I make those situations happen. Probably seems obvious but I like to retrace my own train of thought.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Hey one question, when you are playing against Marth using olimar, what Part of the match up gives you the most trouble? What moves do you think are Marths best options to use against olimar? I just want to know how you feel about it so I can think of all my options, if I am ever put in a disadvantaged situation.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Hey one question, when you are playing against Marth using olimar, what Part of the match up gives you the most trouble? What moves do you think are Marths best options to use against olimar? I just want to know how you feel about it so I can think of all my options, if I am ever put in a disadvantaged situation.

I think that Marth's Fair is a problem. Maybe the better options is continuously using Pikmin Throw, grabbing him, and juggling him in the air with Uair. Also, his recovery is one of the worst! Try improving your edge guard strategies! Also, don't let him footstoll you! Or he will use a deadly vertical spacing combo and it will meteor you!

Also, look on this link, people are discussing a olimar. vs marth match up:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5496150&

Noa.

Smash Master
The worst situation against Marth is being offstage or getting juggled. For me being offstage is worse lol. And Marth's best options? This is on my opinion cause I don't play against Marth too often. But his best tools against us are probably his fair and grab. When Im playing against Marth I just feel so pressured to shield all the time, which makes it easier for him to grab us. That's at least how I feel.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Ok really, last post for the night haha. Ya I'll play zex, the best in NorCal in tourny and let you Gus know whys I find out. Thanks for your insight.

crow95

Smash Cadet
marth is all about pressure. If they get in our zone they are capable to burst us down, they are espescially dangerous offstage. A good whistle game, landing mixups and different spam patterns beats them tho. And look out for that Up-b, they always trys to cover an obvious landing with an up-b, just shield it and you have a free fair/uair/usmash

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Some common times I've noticed that Marth players like to DS:

- After landing from a Fair/Nair
- After a 2-step Dancing Blade
- When you jump up from the ledge
- When they whiff a smash
- If you get back onstage and end up directly behind them
- After taking a hit on-shield

Obviously these aren't the only times they use it, but just a few I remember from the Marths I've played.
I honestly hate Shield Breaker, Fair, Dancing Blade, and Nair more than DS.

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
If another character hits one of my pickmen with an attack, does that move become more stale?

Also, if i throw out a move that hits 2 opponents, does it get more staled once or twice.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yes it does get stale. If a hitbox hits any hurtbox then it gets added to the stale move list. And I do think that if the same move hits two things it does get stale. But I'm not sure about that.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
He really doesn't have specific "bad" stages, just "not as good as his best stages" stages.
It REALLY depends on the match-up and player.

Like, I think PS2 is "bad" for Olimar, but I've actually been thinking about CPing ICs and Marth there lately.

Noa.

Smash Master
Oli does well on all counterpicks. He might lose on some stages but that's only against certain characters. Like mk on rainbow cruise or brinstar. Apart from that you'll do well on all stages. When banning focus on banning their best stage, not your worse stage (which is nonexistent for the most part).

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
His reflector comes out fast, and it's oft used as a reaction to you getting in too close. Power shield it for free ****.

Your pikmin throw probably beats his back air camp, which he uses to rack up damage at lower percent.

Tech that Dthrow, it pushes you offstage and low, which is where you don't want to be.

His upair is fast, used to bait air dodges as you fall, so he can punish with something like back air. Try to whistle bounce to stay away from him.

Careful about edge guarding him. If he's good, he can consistently choose between scarring, instantly be on stage, or cancelling it on the ledge for an aerial follow up. If he catches you off guard, you very well could end up being the one getting gimped.

That's all I got.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You'll want to learn how to usmash oos. If he's giving you a lot of problems keeping pressure with bair, it'll come in handy. Be careful in general when he pressures your shield, even when not using bair. A lot more of his moves are safe on shield than it seems, so try to get a feel for what is and isn't. I recommend checking frame data for this matchup more than just about any. It's so valuable.

Don't try to edge guard him. Everything he has in the air beats everything you have in the air. You might come out on the good end and throw off his timing every once in awhile, but the odds are far and beyond in his favor, especially since if you mess up even a little, you're done for.

When he approaches with moves like fsmash, don't try to shield to punish, focus on making him whiff to punish. And I'm not talking about dodging. Create distance. There's a general area that you want to keep at at all times against wolf. A distance in which when he would fsmash right into a well spaced pivot grab. If you start a juggle, or begin keeping pressure on him, be careful. He has several tools that can stop your strings. It's best to abuse the fact that it's somewhat difficult for him to get in. As soon as he touches the ground after a string, create distance. Before that, when you're juggling him, be sure to keep at a well enough distance.

But like I said at the beginning, up smash out of shield is beyond useful in this matchup. If you don't have it down yet, focus on it, definitely. Wolf is a common matchup that Olimars have problems with. Traits that several problem matchups have (characters that, while not flat out beating Olimar, have aspects that can trump him in average-high level play) are seen a lot in wolf. And just how learning how to up smash out of shield effectively against this character will make you better as a player, it will also give you an ace in said problem matchups that you would later, otherwise find yourself having problems against.

Top Bottom