• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Ok, so I decided that I'm sick of hearing people dog Link and say thats he's unworthy of being a main because he is too easily comboed and has terrible matchup against characters like sheik, falcon, fox ect. So I think we need to start compiling some of the best known smashers in each state and begin testing out our Links against these players. I've seen videos of HDL beating SS, Germ beating DSF and Skler beating Sliq. Therefore anything is possible and people dont understand the amount of time and patience it take to main Link

As such, some of the top players (that I know or heard of) in MI are Dope(falco), Shaeden(falco), Scotu(fox), Ankoku(peach), Anther(#1pika), Lain, Juggleguy(falcon), Mikey Lenetia(peach), Duck(falco) and Moose(samus). There are probably quite a few more who I dont know of, but until then, these are my MI targets. Post and setup your state and see if we can't put competitive Links onto the scene more. SSBM where amazing happens

cjugs

Smash Ace
Agreed that link can take on good people. but there are certain matchup's (on certain stages) that is very unlikely that he will win on regardless on who's playing him.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
people dog Link and say thats he's unworthy of being a main
You must still live in 2005. People don't make fun of characters that aren't worse than Pichu nowadays. They just note that you better be willing to put in a lot of work if you actually want to main a mid/low tier and see any success.

That said, I'm really not a top player and I may or may not end up going Sheik on you anyway.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Agreed that link can take on good people. but there are certain matchup's (on certain stages) that is very unlikely that he will win on regardless on who's playing him.
well every character has a counterpick stage. but i also have a theory that with full thrown rangs, it creates unknown variables in terms of interrupting others' combos, CG, recoveries ect. And I think Link is a lot better match-up vs peach, jiggz, samus and marth then fox, falco and sheik (minus the sheik vs marth part)

You must still live in 2005. People don't make fun of characters that aren't worse than Pichu nowadays.
actually this kid sent me at least 5 PMs talkin simply about how link isnt worth playin with, using watever. I could see that being the case if I played brawl, but as for melee its a lil bit of a different story. But who all would you say that LIVE in MI are a lot better then you?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Everyone is better than me. I'm just consistently lucky.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
well wat does that mean cuz besides mikey, i heard u still u have 1 of MI's best peaches. gotta remember too, we east side over here so we dunno wat happens on the west

rhan

Smash Hero
Link's take over will happen once Yellowstone Park blows the **** up in 2012.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You must still live in 2005. People don't make fun of characters that aren't worse than Pichu nowadays.
I can smell pichu's name.

but really I truely believe that you are the limit when it comes to smash link isn't like bowser/kirby bad whereit's impossible to deal camping on a large stage.

link can land hits, recover, combo, sheild, projectile, deal with camping, moonwalk, and other useful things, he at least has the bare min to win so your just johning if you say it's impossible also banning stages helps.

Also you just look bad when I have more hope in pichu vs m2k's sheik than you have vs link vs some random sheik. :) stay golden ponyboy

Zodiac

Smash Master
Link can be better than people make him out to be, we just have to work hard to make it that way.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Agreed but i would be very surprised if link could win a national tourny in the us i just don't see him beating a sheik mainly because of the stages there are just to many flat ones for links to expect to win against very good sheiks falcos can prolly be beatin falcons definetly marth unlikely link is not good against marth's Marth just doesn't know how to play link he fsmashes and we grab to uptilt to upair to whatever but good marths i don't see losing one or two of course but not like link will suddenly be going anything better then fifty fifty against marth. The most impossible matchup is a skilled fox it would take one of the best links we have. True i have seen germ beat many but i wonder if him beating zelgladis is prolly because they always play eachother even the best link (GERM, Maybe HDL) have higher tier secondarie's but link is simply to slow and will probably lose to a fox that is way below his skill level. I want to win with link as much as anyone but fox outcams link, link has a unlucky gift of being shined across the stage again a moderatly skilled fox can pull that off and he is so much faster not that this is unwinable but at the highest stages it's clear that link isn't going to beat a real good fox any time soon.
Then again m2k beat kels with roy? but that's because he is m2k if we want to get link winning tournys then someone make an offer to m2k to main him lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
well wat does that mean cuz besides mikey, i heard u still u have 1 of MI's best peaches. gotta remember too, we east side over here so we dunno wat happens on the west
People like to exaggerate. I'm actually the worst Smash player in Michigan.

Also you just look bad when I have more hope in pichu vs m2k's sheik than you have vs link vs some random sheik. :) stay golden ponyboy
... huh?

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
a lot for me to comment on. so ill start from the bottom n make my way up. well ankoku, u kno ive been wantin to play against u for awhile, perhaps u can turn me on to the flaws in my game n onto some real good smashers. I think link vs peach is a very even match, so it wuld be fun. i kinda learned how to play against peach playin against cactuar, but he's so predictable.

cjugs: ya link wuld deff have problems gettin to any type of finals' winner's or or loser's on his own. but i secondary ICs, which i think helps in the fact that ICs can do decent vs falcon, sheik, fox n falco. and with top winners maining peach and jiggz, link wuld be a good finisher

zodiac: your right, people need to actually take the time out to learn links advanced metagame n learn where he's vulnerable n how to fix it

IC Guy- ya ur comment didnt make much sense to me. pichu will never have a better chance against sheik then link. n wen it come's to m2k's sheik, that isnt a sheik character. that's m2k. how many ppl can u name that have 4stocked darkrain's captain let alone with jus a sheik

cjugs

Smash Ace
Stay golden pony boy is a quote from outsiders Pshh loser jk.
Well another there is look at the fox boards compared to the link boards look at any high tier boards compared to these we are like... dead and there aren't enough good links running this place so it takes longer for links to develop aaaaaaaaaaaand new players play fox or a high tier so links are dying out and they are not gaining any interested

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
At first after reading "...Peach...Cactuar...Predictable..." i was all like "??? O.o" and then I remembered that this is MI's thread and I was all like "LoL -.-".

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
just saying I never give up or lose hope. But of course pichu vs sheik is the most impossible match-up in ssbm. link has the tools so nothing isn't impossible. Just be glad you don't play as bowser :)

IYM!

Smash Lord
link is a realy good character and i am proud of him to be in low tier in melee and botom in brawl

because, in order to defeat a rival we need learn more and become better smashers, and that's a rewarding feeling that makes us feel more powerful and better as smash warriors.

with hight tiers characters all is easy and boring, with few hours of practice you are ready
is not the same win with pichu than with marth

that is the reason because i dont want see link in top tier

well my dream is see link in medium tier

that is my opinion XD

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
To play Link well requires creativity and originality, that's all to it.

Animal

Smash Lord
my friend 3 stocked my falcon today with link....and it begins

Skler

Smash Master
At first after reading "...Peach...Cactuar...Predictable..." i was all like "??? O.o" and then I remembered that this is MI's thread and I was all like "LoL -.-".
You're pretty predictable. You always approach really big sandwiches with a sideways bite.

<watches sandwich video again>

huMps

Smash Ace
know when to use bombs. space perfect. master jab combos. SHIELD PRESSURE!
oh and never get grabbed.

I think the link meta-game is still evolving(GERM's and HDL's leading the way in my opinion) and after watching HDL at pound4 and GERM ownapolooza vids, I think link may start a come back. Those videos have helped me alot in some of what I had formerly looked at as near impossible match ups.

BBQTV

Smash Master
i was playing link and i find he's bad in the air. if he could like floaty like toon link he could be better

rhan

Smash Hero
I still want tthat to happen. lol

Event hough I rarely play Young Link or Smash anymore... :(

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
I think the link meta-game is still evolving(GERM's and HDL's leading the way in my opinion) and after watching HDL at pound4 and GERM ownapolooza vids, I think link may start a come back. Those videos have helped me alot in some of what I had formerly looked at as near impossible match ups.
ya they are the starting points, but Germ is actually a discouragement to me. His combos are great, but he's been doing this for almost 10 years now and still is a low ranking smasher who occassionally use falco in tourneys. HDL I think can develope the link metagame to an outstanding level. His matches against Armada and SilentSpectre were bad *** (however I think he should been able to do better against plank and axe) and his team matches against kels/watty and chilln/doh were just as good. so master germ's combos and look to improve whatever it is HDL is doin, if we even can keep up with him and Link will be wining tourneys soon enough

i was playing link and i find he's bad in the air. if he could like floaty like toon link he could be better
in my opinion, Link has one of the strongest nairs in the game. doesnt have the most knock but priority over multiple attacks. helps block projectiles and is the best approach to get inside falco. Link doesnt have the speed to be a floaty character, his fast fall speed is wat helps him shffl his combos

huMps

Smash Ace
I think link is great in the air as long as your not hit stunned lol. Fair, Dair, and Uair are all kill moves. Nair has rediculous priority, and the lack of lag out of links bair makes it great for combos. If Link had marth's Ftilt and were even a tiny bit faster I believe he would be high tier with out a doubt.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Why does everyone always comment on the boards about links potential but no one comments on threads about making link more techy as in having a link general discussion thread or video ect. Ok link can win so let's go win and not sit here and talk about it.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
I think link is great in the air as long as your not hit stunned lol. Fair, Dair, and Uair are all kill moves. Nair has rediculous priority, and the lack of lag out of links bair makes it great for combos. If Link had marth's Ftilt and were even a tiny bit faster I believe he would be high tier with out a doubt.
idk if i can say high tier, but deff mid. jus last week i was playing a falco main, from the left side of of dream land i u-threw him, dsmash, he teched away so i came in fair(he shield) dtilt which put him in the air center stage, nair, nair which would have set up perfectly for an up-b finisher, but i simply culdnt reach him bfo he landed on the stage n recovered

Why does everyone always comment on the boards about links potential but no one comments on threads about making link more techy as in having a link general discussion thread or video ect. Ok link can win so let's go win and not sit here and talk about it.
thats actually why i had kinda started this thread. theres a tournament in a couple weeks that I plan on winning with link. its not a major tourney, but its the starting point for me. i've been on here PMing link mains (skler n deva) about different approaches, guarding, team potential ect. alot of ppl on here just havent been able to give me the advice i needed

cjugs

Smash Ace
Skler is the best link player on the boards so he is going to know more than anyone but other than him no one really run these boards look at all the others there are fox ic discussion boards where you ask anything if we have a question here we make a thread and hope someone comments there needs more stuff on the link boards but there aren't enough good link players to run it.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
thats why the few of us out there need to rlly match up n improve his metagame. one of my biggest challenges now is, of course, fox and falco. worse comes to, i can always beat falco on mangoland, poke floats and stadium. the size of the level helps me keep my spacing from falco and i can stay above him which minimizes his laser threat. the size also helps me avoid gettn combo'd across the screen given that the platforms dont help falco too much. smaller stages like FoD and YS, its ****. falco is quite easy to gimp and fairly easy to combo if u read him right. and all u need is a nair to get inside him

so far, i've been treating fox, like i do falcon. u have to approach them both relatively the same as falco, except u need to take in the fact they dont have lasers so u dont have to spam bombs n rangs from a topside distance, u can stay flat with them. however, their speed forces u to have to minimize ur openings. u dont want to get caught with a knee, a fox usmash or a shine. falcon can combo u well, but doesnt have a huge grab box, so ull deff have to control ur spacing with them. all 3 fall victims to bair uair, u tilt combos.

anyone questions, strategies or think i'm wrong bout anything? keep in mind i kept it short theres alot i can still put in

BBQTV

Smash Master
at the risk of sounding like im flameing, if you wantt to use link use toonlink

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Ok, so I decided that I'm sick of hearing people dog Link and say thats he's unworthy of being a main because he is too easily comboed and has terrible matchup against characters like sheik, falcon, fox ect. So I think we need to start compiling some of the best known smashers in each state and begin testing out our Links against these players. I've seen videos of HDL beating SS, Germ beating DSF and Skler beating Sliq. Therefore anything is possible and people dont understand the amount of time and patience it take to main Link

As such, some of the top players (that I know or heard of) in MI are Dope(falco), Shaeden(falco), Scotu(fox), Ankoku(peach), Anther(#1pika), Lain, Juggleguy(falcon), Mikey Lenetia(peach), Duck(falco) and Moose(samus). There are probably quite a few more who I dont know of, but until then, these are my MI targets. Post and setup your state and see if we can't put competitive Links onto the scene more. SSBM where amazing happens
wat is this i dont even

Ever heard of Axe?

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
You said anthers the #1 pika when axe is. juss sayin. hdl's the axe of link no bull****.
did ya happen to notice that i was naming off michigan players? and given the fact that one is EC and the other is WC, its kinda hard to tell which is better then the other. they're both pros, not top, have beatin jman but have lost to m2k. so are you sure the axe is better then anther?

cjugs

Smash Ace
Even at his highest link just cannot keep up with a moderately skilled falcon falco fox sheik falcon speed is an issue but even more so is the up throw knee it's one one kill move and grabs are not hard to do on link.
Falco i will admit even the best falcos i think link has a chance against but i don't think the best of the best Dr. pee pee zhu, mango will ever lose to a link. And before you say he beat zhu he didn't he took some matches off in friendly's but that's it. fox has to be links worst matchup in the game it is next to impossible to beat a reasonably good fox at that. Do i really need to talk about sheik? every thing she does ***** link Germ did beat a few good ones but as far as tink m2k or maybe ripple they will always beat links. Although i don't like this answer as much as anyone else but it's true he won't be winning national tourny's but he is next to the funnest character to play as and can show some people up.

Top Bottom