• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-Up Chart thread

cjugs

Smash Ace
^High risk and low reward if you ask me. I hate when people get hype when i miss a grab like they did something good yeah real hard to punish me while i'm holding still for 15 minutes.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
^High risk and low reward if you ask me. I hate when people get hype when i miss a grab like they did something good yeah real hard to punish me while i'm holding still for 15 minutes.
That's just how Link is though. He IS high risk and low reward. A lot of grabs in general maybe high risk, but catching the landing of teleport isn't really a risk if you see it happen first before you commit. The only risk is from the lack of execution.

And yeah, I hate when people hype over a missed grab. I guess the uneducated think it's like when jiggs misses a rest. It's easy to miss Link's grab, yet it doesn't take stocks by itself.

Skler

Smash Master
You can negate those risks a bit via reaction and prediction. Using the teleport example: If I had been grabbing more there's a good chance they would have landed because teleport doesn't take you out of Link's grab range. I just have no idea how much lag there is on the teleport (not much when not grounded) so it doesn't feel safe grabbing it. I have no trouble grabbing characters as they land out of early aerials because I know how long they're stuck there and how long it takes the hookshot to reach them.

If you know a MU well enough you can punish things with Link's grab that most other character's can't punish. It's a nice little perk, but it's a risky one too.

Zodiac

Smash Master
ecution rule the game. Without those, no player stands a hint of a chance in a major tournament, much less a Link player. Develop those correctly and then your Link will have what it takes.
I know its an old post but I believe this whole heartedly, I have never fully dropped link and now I've been playing more than ever before on a serious scale. I can even go 50-50 with one of the best falco mains in oregon with link. I think at my next tournament I will be going all Link except for that pesky space animal fox, I still haven't figured that one out yet.

Edit: I've been reading and I think link is high risk high reward, for instance tech chasing falcon can be very rewarding depending on stage and percentage. If I was to give a bottom line it would be this.

Depending on the stage high risk can mean high reward if successful.

But then again even if you did get that reward the chances of it getting you a stock off the other player is low, no matter how you slice it. That part is usually up to how smart you are as a player. And the fact that most characters used in tournaments can give link the same amount of damage back in no time flat doesnt help.. So in conclusion I offer you this piece of advice..

"Don't get hit."
-Isai

But in all seriousness if you happen to complete this high reward maneuver first you will have the upper hand because in order to win your opponent has to approach you. And as long as you know your match ups you should have ways to beat or deal with all approaches they will make. Once you take their stock based on said knowledge their percentage resets.

at this point they may have a "Its even" mind set, And they will run for a while baiting you in, it is essential you do not take this bait and just throw rang's and bombs at them safely..I say safely because several players will bait links into using a laggy projectile or attack while you pull out a bomb. When they do eventually approach you you can once again perform another high risk high reward maneuver and possibly get the same result. Though it isn't to likely to get the same result through the same method since most players have some tendency to adapt.

Skler

Smash Master
I agree with disliking Sheik. If Link had a better approach I doubt she'd be nearly as huge of a problem as she is, but unfortunately he has no moves that give him a frame advantage when they tap a shield. That's all kinds of awful for a character as slow as Link is. Sheik can, if timing things frame perfectly, almost always WD into a jab before any of Link's moves can come out after he l-cancels an aerial.

That is assuming her WD takes her 7 frames or less, which I think it does.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Wavedashing takes 10 frames + however long the character's jump takes. So in Sheik's case, 13 frames.
Wait ... wouldn't it be 14 frames, since she's airborne on frame 4 and can't airdodge before then?

@ Skler: Momentum-cancelled airdodge landing lag is different from landfall special lag I guess. Lol.

Skler

Smash Master
Back in my day we didn't measure things in frames and all that other fancy techno-babble, we had to rely on intuition, masculinity and fi-- hey you kids get off my lawn!

cjugs

Smash Ace
^ this made me lol. i agree sheik sucks.
So guys imagine this Fox Fox Puff Falco Sheik. Sounds like a amazing link pool right? right?

rhan

Smash Hero
Y. Link have adventage over Link??

i mean, i fight with a good Y link player (is his secondary) and our fights are prety even, but i have adventage over him most of the time :ohwell:
Skler thinks YL beats Link.

I think Link beats YL.

Shaeman thinks YL beats Link.

Laijin thinks Link beats YL.

It's a never ending circle.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Skler thinks YL beats Link.

I think Link beats YL.

Shaeman thinks YL beats Link.

Laijin thinks Link beats YL.

It's a never ending circle.
One of those things where the the one who mains link says Ylink wins and the one who mains Ylink says link wins. I honestly do not know i haven't played the matchup seems like it would be even but idk.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Its a pretty even match up, link has more range and power, but is slow, ylink has less range and less power but is fast. I don't think it goes either way, its one of those "The better player wins" kind of situations.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
I think its more so who knows the match up better or makes the fewest mistakes

my pool-fox, fox, falco, marth, ganon, peach n G&W

i took 5th in my pool like a noob. Top 4, 3 of which took top 9 outta 70

rhan

Smash Hero
I swore at Pound 4 you said Links wins lololol.

And how can yl wins barely but Link's ability to kill gives him the edge? That's contradictory..

Skler

Smash Master
I think he's saying having actual kill moves is a big advantage for Link.

But still not enough to make him win vs Young Link.

*****es.

Skler

Smash Master
Yeah, Young Link doesn't kill Link early on. He has to grind against Link's awesome recovery and good weight to get his kills. Link doesn't really gimp YL either, but at least he has moves that kill at reasonable percents.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm starting tot hink that Link v YL is pretty much one of the most even match-ups in the game.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I'm starting tot hink that Link v YL is pretty much one of the most even match-ups in the game.
I've kind of always thought this.
It's weird though because at first you would think link would win because he is stronger and has more range he's a bigger version but there's more to it.

Top Bottom