• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Well yeah, in comparison to his Up B which is frame 8 or something like that.
Except you can't really Dsmash OoS.
Frame 5 isn't extraordinarily fast like Peach/MK Nair or whatever

*cough*orshine*cough*
but it's fast enough. Better than frame 8.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Except you can't really Dsmash OoS.
Frame 5 isn't extraordinarily fast like Peach/MK Nair or whatever

*cough*orshine*cough*
but it's fast enough. Better than frame 8.
Yeah, Link only has maybe one or two GTFO me moves which is Nair and sometimes it doesn't work out for him. It's easily Link's greatest weakness which is his OOS options.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Yeah, Link only has maybe one or two GTFO me moves which is Nair and sometimes it doesn't work out for him. It's easily Link's greatest weakness which is his OOS options.
Ah, that leads me to another question. When I full hop Nair OoS as an escape, sometimes the strong nair doesn't hit them. Is this a positioning thing or a timing thing? In theory, if I do it frame-perfect should I be able to hit any character with the strong nair OoS? I noticed at some positions it hits easier than others (namely behind me) I'd assume because his foot extends on front of him but nothing has to extend behind him. I'll have to look at the hitbox data to see how that works. It could also be that the hitbox extends further below him to his back because of how his legs are.

edit: Turns out, logic. I was right. The hitbox hits lower to his back. Good to know.

Last edited:

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I find a retreating zair doesn't hit some of the shorter characters (like Olimar and Squirtle). I thought I could just zair later in the short hop but then the chain doesn't have time to extend. Any tips?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I find a retreating zair doesn't hit some of the shorter characters (like Olimar and Squirtle). I thought I could just zair later in the short hop but then the chain doesn't have time to extend. Any tips?
Release it so that the second hit comes out upon your descent. The first hit isn't as important as the combo-starting hit. I can hit smaller characters with it usually I THINK. But I'm not 100% sure. I think I manage to nail Olimar with it against my friend.

On another note, do any of you have any insight on what stages are good/bad for Link?

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Reviving dead threads since 2013:

Messing around a bit and found that you can drop through platforms while your Zair is out. This is probably already known but you can reverse your position with your enemy if they're approaching your platform while you're falling.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Reviving dead threads since 2013:

Messing around a bit and found that you can drop through platforms while your Zair is out. This is probably already known but you can reverse your position with your enemy if they're approaching your platform while you're falling.
Well, hell I didn't know that. I just assumed that I was dropping through platforms with holding the control stick so far down. :p

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Release it so that the second hit comes out upon your descent. The first hit isn't as important as the combo-starting hit. I can hit smaller characters with it usually I THINK. But I'm not 100% sure. I think I manage to nail Olimar with it against my friend.

On another note, do any of you have any insight on what stages are good/bad for Link?
I say the stages that are good for Link are Hyrule Castle, Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland, Distant Planet and others. I say Link would have a tough time against the Spacies on some other stages, like Rumble Falls and Dracula's Castle. But overall, I think he's great on most stages.

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I saw a video not too long ago which showed a Link holding a bomb and then forward smashing while holding it. He was crouching each time. Is this/was this ever possible? If it still is, how is it done?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I saw a video not too long ago which showed a Link holding a bomb and then forward smashing while holding it. He was crouching each time. Is this/was this ever possible? If it still is, how is it done?
This used to be possible but is not anymore afaik.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Anyone here think Link may not need nerfs? I used to think Link was broken for a while but after playing against him for so long i don't really see it that much anymore. I've just learned when to dive in and how to avoid boomerangs.

Or it could be that I just play bad links, who knows

Pug

Smash Apprentice
Anyone here think Link may not need nerfs? I used to think Link was broken for a while but after playing against him for so long i don't really see it that much anymore. I've just learned when to dive in and how to avoid boomerangs.

I've stuck with Link since 64, I main him because I love the series and I love the quirks and tricks to his smash representation. I'd prefer if he weren't nerfed but if he is I'll still main him and enjoy it. :)

Thanks for the fast response, Hylian!

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
It's possible.

Hold A with a bomb in hand (hold it during the animation of another attack) then use the C-stick to Fsmash. Bombsmashing.
#brawllinktech

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just tested with above method and confirmed it is indeed possible.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You can just press and hold A at the start of a wavedash when the input won't happen, to do a smash you need to use the cstick and then let go of A though otherwise it will charge.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I generally do it after boomerang or as I pull the bomb. I also have my R set to attack for DACUS so that makes it simpler than contorting my entire hand to hold the A button. Spot dodge or roll or whatever also works.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
What do you guys classify him as in terms of attack style?
To me, I think he's a Speed-Power character, due to his great attack power and speed.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
What do you guys classify him as in terms of attack style?
To me, I think he's a Speed-Power character, due to his great attack power and speed.
... 4th slowest dash speed and 2nd worst wave dash disagrees with you.

He's a versatile character and you can play him however you want. Whatever suits your style.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
... 4th slowest dash speed and 2nd worst wave dash disagrees with you.

He's a versatile character and you can play him however you want. Whatever suits your style.
When I said "attack power and speed", I meant that he had great attack power and attack speed. I know he has the 4th worst speed in the game, I was just talking about how fast his attacks go.

Here's how I go by this:
Speed, Power, Strategy, Stamina, Throwing, Combo and All-Around. Link is a Speed-Power character because of his fast attacks combined with his power and knockback.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
When I said "attack power and speed", I meant that he had great attack power and attack speed. I know he has the 4th worst speed in the game, I was just talking about how fast his attacks go.

Here's how I go by this:
Speed, Power, Strategy, Stamina, Throwing, Combo and All-Around. Link is a Speed-Power character because of his fast attacks combined with his power and knockback.

His attack speed is also very par. Nair is really the one move that's pretty fast. Frame 4 and ****. His other moves aren't that fast.
His grab speed is also very slow. Frame 12 methinks. His jab is like.. 7? It was 7 in bwarl.

Oh and Dsmash is fast at frame 5. Most everything else is either average or slowish.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, his attacks aren't really slow in Project M, as most of them have been sped up by a good amount, and his Dash Grab is faster than his normal grab.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
If he isn't fast, why do his attacks look like they are sped up considerably from Melee (and Brawl) to P:M?
Link's F-Tilt in P:M was based off of Young Link's, which was much faster than Link's in Melee. Plus, do not forget that P:M still has the IASA frames in the game, making Link even faster coming out with his attacks.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Well, his attacks aren't really slow in Project M, as most of them have been sped up by a good amount, and his Dash Grab is faster than his normal grab.
I recall saying they were par, not slow.

Ftilt is still fairly slow. Frame 12 isn't fast by any means.

Also, being sped up doesn't necessarily make something fast. Say we had a character whose move came out originally on frame 90. P:MBR, the generous ******** that they are, sped it up to frame 40. That's more than cutting it in half.

It's still slow as **** lol.
I'm not even trying to be an ass by contradicting you by the way, he's just not really that fast.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
If he isn't fast, why do his attacks look like they are sped up considerably from Melee (and Brawl) to P:M?
Link's F-Tilt in P:M was based off of Young Link's, which was much faster than Link's in Melee. Plus, do not forget that P:M still has the IASA frames in the game, making Link even faster coming out with his attacks.
Basically what EmptySky said.

We're talking relatively to the rest of the cast, not the other games.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Damn, he's faster than his Melee and Brawl counterparts?
Clearly this means he's fast.
Oh, wait, he's still slow, just not AS slow.
Holy ****, not that difficult a concept.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Lol Brawl Link. That's the funniest joke I've heard all day.

I've got a better one!

... Brawl Ganondorf.

PAHAHAHAHA

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0

There is hope for society.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Boomerang is among the most unpredictable of projectiles. There's always a bag of tricks that can be used with the Boomerang if one knows how to use it right (and have decent percentage on the opponent).

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Boomerang is brutal against a bunch of chars that Link already has an advantage on, and nearly useless against the chars that actually give him trouble...

kind of makes a weird matchup spread for him.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Boomerang is brutal against a bunch of chars that Link already has an advantage on, and nearly useless against the chars that actually give him trouble...

kind of makes a weird matchup spread for him.
That's pretty typical for zoning characters in a lot of fighting games, unless the projectile has some absurd quality to it. The boomerang does give a lot of flexibility in tandem with bombs though. I end up playing Link similar to Testament from GG by starting out more defensively to analyze my opponent before committing to any particular zoning strategy/setup.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I'm just completely unused to the situation where my Smash character is able to be complained about. God he's been bad for so long I was always complaint-proof. Now he's actually fairly good and people think he needs nerfed. It's rather uncomfortable actually. (not really in response to anything said just recently, but more a statement in general.)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Agreed with Emptysky.

What I was saying before is essentially, if they removed his boomerang completely, I don't think his matchup spread would change that much. Obviously, he'd be worse off, but he'd still beat most of the chars he currently beats and lose to most of the chars he currently loses to.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So I've been wondering, is Link's Fair the same speed as in Melee? Because if so I like the Melee animation more. It seems so much more fluid and quick. The wind-up is less obvious.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I mean, he does spin faster and all (Which is a really neat mixup on shield btw), but Melee's was so cool.

Top Bottom