• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
So does america only have like Gamestop that sells games or something? I could name like 6 different retailers here in amsterdam, and then there's of course amazon, bol.com (dutch amazon kind of), and steam.
It depends on where you live. In Tucson Gamestop is pretty much everywhere but thankfully an independently owned game store opened in the mall which is much more personal and much less corporate. And there is also several used book stores which sells used games on the side.

But yeah, for the most part in America Gamestop is everywhere and in some places its the only way to buy used games without the internet.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There are two 2 Play N Trades within 15 minutes of where my home is. Besides that, I've only seen one other. I wish people would show them some love. Gamestop definitely needs some competition if the big guns like Walmart and Best Buy aren't gonna step up.

With that being said, while GS does offer pre-order bonuses, I do think companies like Amazon are catching up to that. At the same time, I don't think pre-order bonuses are the biggest concern for competitors. It's just that when parents need to go get a video game for their kid, they don't think Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. They think Gamestop. Why? Because it's the only brand that commercializes on TV that they sell video games, and while adults are making the transition from TV to Online services, we're still far from that having an impact on a store like Gamestop.

This is the only reason a part of me would root for every game becoming digital. I can see Gamestop struggling mad if that were to happen. Same time, I do like holding my games in cases rather than having them stored on a server.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Also, far as GS making money off of used games...you seriously have to be a total idiot if you're gonna trade in your games to them or buy used from them. Amazon, Ebay, or Craig's List ftw.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Why do hell does Gamestop tend to unwrap new games, put the disc in sleeve and then call it "new"?

That really bothers the heck out of me, that's why I usually end up buying pre-order since I know it will come wrapped, other than that I never shop there, eBay and Digital services are my best friends nowadays.

Also, I'll be damn if I ever sell my new games to them, I have a bunch of wrapped games that I'm trying to sell, but Gamestop ain't it

:phone:

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Did they improve on the combat system? In Fable 2, spam the 'X' button 95% of the time and press 'Y' the other 5% of the time.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Did they improve on the combat system? In Fable 2, spam the 'X' button 95% of the time and press 'Y' the other 5% of the time.
Changes didn't seem that big to me. You could hold x to do a stronger melee attack that breaks an enemy's guard but I think you could do that in Fable 2 as well but I don't remember. Spells are different, you wear a gauntlet to do a spell. But the actual spell combat still works the same. Guns still work pretty similar. I mostly just liked Fable 3 for the story to be honest. The game wasn't amazing or anything, but I traded games with a friend so I didn't really have to spend anything to play it.

Edit: Also, the real estate system is very convenient now. You can have an overview of each city so you can buy houses without actually traveling to them.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Why do hell does Gamestop tend to unwrap new games, put the disc in sleeve and then call it "new"?

That really bothers the heck out of me, that's why I usually end up buying pre-order since I know it will come wrapped, other than that I never shop there, eBay and Digital services are my best friends nowadays.

Also, I'll be damn if I ever sell my new games to them, I have a bunch of wrapped games that I'm trying to sell, but Gamestop ain't it

Probably so they don't have the actual stock sitting out on the shelves for people to steal.

OmegaXXII

Probably so they don't have the actual stock sitting out on the shelves for people to steal.
Well..not really, since the games themselves are behind the counter where the general public doesn't have access to them; just the employees themselves, I don't see the point if they only put one cover of a new game for display purposes.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You can try play-n'-trade if there is one...
The one thing I like that PnT has is older games. Other than that, it's not too different from GS. :(
Well..not really, since the games themselves are behind the counter where the general public doesn't have access to them; just the employees themselves, I don't see the point if they only put one cover of a new game for display purposes.

What the employees are supposed to do is give you a shrink wrapped copy in the back if you hand them the display copy (if the game is labled new).
This includes even year old games if there are any shrink wrapped copies left. As for why they put one for display purposes, it'd be kind of hard to sell games to the average consumer if they didn't have any to display out in the open.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
People hate on gamestop way too much. It's a company, that's how it's supposed to be run. Gamers just think that since they have a special bond or some **** that they should get special treatment. :|

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm with Spelt. Gamestop is convenient and doesn't sell games for any more than other places, what's the big deal? Yeah they give you very little credit for trade-ins but they have to make money. And some of the preorder bonuses for big games are actually quite good. Also the guys at my Gamestop are super nice and cool and give me awesome deals, which is definitely a plus.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'm with Spelt. Gamestop is convenient and doesn't sell games for any more than other places, what's the big deal? Yeah they give you very little credit for trade-ins but they have to make money. And some of the preorder bonuses for big games are actually quite good. Also the guys at my Gamestop are super nice and cool and give me awesome deals, which is definitely a plus.
I have a problem when they steal 20$ from me

OmegaXXII

Haha, they overcharged me $100 just for reactivation, plus they always charged me extra, they're sneaky that way, the people themselves aren't all that bad.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Haha, they overcharged me $100 just for reactivation, plus they always charged me extra, they're sneaky that way, the people themselves aren't all that bad.

They don't know how to do their job.

So I was planning on coming from a short trip to upgrade my phone and finishing up all the roles, when I ended up at BJ's for three hours because people who work at Verizon are ******** and don't know what they're doing so they need to call their "supervisor's" to to the job for them. Needless to say, I'm not finishing roles tonight.

OmegaXXII

Haha, it seems they made you waste time, yeah, I hate it when people act like ******* and make you kill time, especially when it comes to commercial selling.

OmegaXXII

I think he's saying that he got a card from Gamestop which supposedly has $5 then when he goes to reserve a game he redeems it but doesn't have the $5 in it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom