• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty new at this "social thread" thing at SmashBoards, so I figure I should give it a try.
It's past my 15th birthday, which it's yesterday. It was quite fun to spend time with my parents and brother. I had cake, money, and a fun time at the arcades at Mars 2112. It was also my first time I got to try out a Tekken arcade game. ^^
We never got to get any Tekken arcade games here... it's rare to see them any where. :(
So, pretty much ends my story there. ^^
How are you guys? :o
Glad to hear you had a great birthday dude!

And I'm doing fine, thanks for asking! :)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
So I've been playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution a lot this week. It's a great game but to anyone who wants to pick it up, I strongly advise against doing a nonlethal playthrough. The Stun Gun and the Tranquilizer Rifle are terrible in just about every aspect, you can't upgrade them, and ammo is nearly impossible to find. Also, the tranquilizer darts from the rifle take a while to kick in so you'll have to wait a second or two before they go down during which time they can potentially trigger an alarm.

Other than that, it's an amazing game.
Whoa it's Gates!

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I'm kinda worried about the hurricane hitting jersey. In other news I'm trying to get enough gold in Fable 3 to keep all the promises that you make in the game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Don't buy the PC version from Gamestop lololol. They are taking the coupon code out to dl the same game on OnLive.

I will now download TF2 at some point over the weekend. This video convinced me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx7T2KJsleI
Doesn't change my opinion on Gamestop, I already knew they sucked a long time ago.

I'm kinda worried about the hurricane hitting jersey. In other news I'm trying to get enough gold in Fable 3 to keep all the promises that you make in the game.
Is Fable 3 any good? I've only played Fable 1 and 2.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Doesn't change my opinion on Gamestop, I already knew they sucked a long time ago.
For sure. I have a 50 dollar GS card I won two years ago, but I still haven't used it LOL. Boggles my mind why people keep going back there when there are places like Walmart or even Amazon.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't want to wait for a game to be mailed to me and Gamestop is going to have a game when it's released.

Gamestop is flawed, but it has a far better selection of games than any other place near me. :/

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
For sure. I have a 50 dollar GS card I won two years ago, but I still haven't used it LOL. Boggles my mind why people keep going back there when there are places like Walmart or even Amazon.
Walmart doesn't have a great selection like Gamestop. But Amazon is pretty good though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't want to wait for a game to be mailed to me and Gamestop is going to have a game when it's released.

Gamestop is flawed, but it has a far better selection of games than any other place near me. :/
So basically, you wait essentially months, years for a game, but can't spare to wait an extra day or two? On top of that, you also get your "new" games with the wrap already off, and the case been used. I have Amazon Prime, and I know Dark Souls will be coming in first day for what it's worth.

And if you have a Play N Trade in your area, you oughta go there.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
No Play N Trade.

If I pick the game up early on the day it's released then I don't have to worry about them removing the wrap.

I hate when they unwrap a game so if it's unwrapped and I know I can get it somewhere else then I'll go there instead. I don't really care for shopping online, so I don't do that often.

But I did find my copy of GGAC+ at a Gamestop still wrapped months after it was released, that really surprised me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well it's just not the "gutted" new games. Their trade in policies are a joke as well. Better off ebaying or selling it off of craig's list lol. Used game, get 25 dollars of credit, they sell it for 55 dollars.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
So I've been playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution a lot this week. It's a great game but to anyone who wants to pick it up, I strongly advise against doing a nonlethal playthrough. The Stun Gun and the Tranquilizer Rifle are terrible in just about every aspect, you can't upgrade them, and ammo is nearly impossible to find. Also, the tranquilizer darts from the rifle take a while to kick in so you'll have to wait a second or two before they go down during which time they can potentially trigger an alarm.

Other than that, it's an amazing game.
Yes. Yes it is.

I'm doing a half and half playthrough right now. It's 'kill only if you have no other ammo'. I'm generally the 'stealth' kind of player.

But god damn, do I love this game.

Those start to deduct from the card value after a year or so. May wanna use it. For points, or something at least.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
No Play N Trade.

If I pick the game up early on the day it's released then I don't have to worry about them removing the wrap.

I hate when they unwrap a game so if it's unwrapped and I know I can get it somewhere else then I'll go there instead. I don't really care for shopping online, so I don't do that often.

But I did find my copy of GGAC+ at a Gamestop still wrapped months after it was released, that really surprised me.
I like Gamestop and Play N Trade but for the most part I HATE buying any used games on there, usually because they are flooded with so many god damn stickers, since I like to collect my games, it's annoying when I find a rare game and the cover happens be look like crap, for the most part I'll just pre-order my games instead, most of the time I end buying my game either on eBay, Fry's or through DLC.

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Haha, that's rich, forcing employees to remove the wrapping and remove the coupons just to miniscule the "Live service" for their own benefit?

Yeah, that's one **** move if you ask me.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Gamestop can go **** themselves. First they give me 5$ back on a game I never even played when I went to return it, then they give me a ****ing card for 5$ credit to the store, and then they have no records of me ever recieving the money. These people can go **** themselves if they're taking **** out of the boxes that were supposed to come with the game in the first place. I honestly hate these people and I wish they'd go out of business. If it wasn't for the fact that there's no other retailer for games that doesn't make games excessively expensive like Wal Mart with like 80-90$ games and the fact that no other retailer gives the same pre order bonuses like gamestop, I wouldn't shop at that ****hole for the life of me

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I buy most of my games online nowadays. Amazon is pretty good but if I really need a game on launch day, then I'll buy it at my local Walmart.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Amazon for life.

Or at least, never Gamestop again.

I used to work for that company. And at the time, I thought it was a dream job. Work in a video game store, work with other people like me (gamers).

SO far from the truth.

Most of the people I worked for were cutthroats. Every. Single. One of them. And the biggest reason you are bothered when you walk into the place is because Gamestop is ACTUALLY a sales job.

Your job, is based on whether or not, YOU, the PEON, can sell reservations and subscriptions (that magazine card combo) for the big wigs. Because the 'gamestop circle of life' is as follows:

Step 1: Get reservations. This brings traffic into your store.
Step 2: Take Trade-ins. Trade-ins lead to used sales.
Step 3: Sell used games (Their profit) and in turn, sell the subscriptions, because they give you that % off card.
Step 4: Magazines lead to reservations (because you in turn are reading about new games coming out).

So if you REALLY want to see Gamestop die; Stop buying used games. THAT is where the company makes it's profit. They ONLY make money from used games. They make next to nothing from NEW sales. New games go straight back to the dev/company who made the product. But when a game is traded in at $10, they in turn usually jack the price up to say, $40. That's nothing but profit for them.

So buy digital, Amazon, or new (if you HAVE to go to Gamestop for something). And only buy what you KNOW you will play again. Not worth trading in to anywhere, really.

If anyone has any questions about the inner workings of Gamestop, feel free to ask. I have no allegiance to that scumbag company. And I'm glad to be rid of them.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Besides the nagging to purchases used games and or pay for games to be releases in the future not yet. XD One thing is for certain or at least in my experiences with GameStop is I always have a better experience there when female employees than the male ones. Only the male employees nag me to death.......

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Amazon for life.

Or at least, never Gamestop again.

I used to work for that company. And at the time, I thought it was a dream job. Work in a video game store, work with other people like me (gamers).

SO far from the truth.

Most of the people I worked for were cutthroats. Every. Single. One of them. And the biggest reason you are bothered when you walk into the place is because Gamestop is ACTUALLY a sales job.

Your job, is based on whether or not, YOU, the PEON, can sell reservations and subscriptions (that magazine card combo) for the big wigs. Because the 'gamestop circle of life' is as follows:

Step 1: Get reservations. This brings traffic into your store.
Step 2: Take Trade-ins. Trade-ins lead to used sales.
Step 3: Sell used games (Their profit) and in turn, sell the subscriptions, because they give you that % off card.
Step 4: Magazines lead to reservations (because you in turn are reading about new games coming out).

So if you REALLY want to see Gamestop die; Stop buying used games. THAT is where the company makes it's profit. They ONLY make money from used games. They make next to nothing from NEW sales. New games go straight back to the dev/company who made the product. But when a game is traded in at $10, they in turn usually jack the price up to say, $40. That's nothing but profit for them.

So buy digital, Amazon, or new (if you HAVE to go to Gamestop for something). And only buy what you KNOW you will play again. Not worth trading in to anywhere, really.

If anyone has any questions about the inner workings of Gamestop, feel free to ask. I have no allegiance to that scumbag company. And I'm glad to be rid of them.
A close friend of mine worked at Gamestop for a number of years and that's exactly how they do things.

I'm pretty much motivated to shop there by apathy, tho'.

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

So does america only have like Gamestop that sells games or something? I could name like 6 different retailers here in amsterdam, and then there's of course amazon, bol.com (dutch amazon kind of), and steam.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
So does america only have like Gamestop that sells games or something? I could name like 6 different retailers here in amsterdam, and then there's of course amazon, bol.com (dutch amazon kind of), and steam.
There's a few other retailers out there that buy/sell/trade games. Gamestop is just at the forefront 'cause they're a company of douchebags.

Smooth Criminal

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I only buy from Gamestop because there's like 19 gamestops in my area and every other retailer like best buy or wal mart sell that **** for expensive as he'll so it's beneficial for me to buy from Gamestop. There's also the matter of the fact that Gamestop gets ALL the good Pre order bonuses. If bet buy or amazon even get Pre order bonuses, theyre always crappier than GS. I mean what other store gives a hat for Pre ordering games like sonic colors and what not? Literally if there's Pre order bonuses GS gets all the good ones.

And really? They only talk to you for sales? And here I thought the guy who was talking to me yesterday while Pre ordering sonic generations was legit a nice guy since we spent like 5 minutes talking in new for games coming in and all :/

Thank god I buy games new btw. Gamestop deserves **** from me. I prefer to contribute to a ****ty dev company like Craptivision than I would to gamestop

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Most of the other 'corporate'/big name video game retailer competition was bought out here in the states. Gamestop bought EB games, and merged, Game Crazy went under quickly. Gamestop also within the last couple of years bought a French video game retailer. They're probably make the transition to Gamestop now.

There's a few other retailers out there that buy/sell/trade games. Gamestop is just at the forefront 'cause they're a company of douchebags.

Smooth Criminal
Most companies are. They have a ton of money and advertise like crazy.

I only buy from Gamestop because there's like 19 gamestops in my area and every other retailer like best buy or wal mart sell that **** for expensive as he'll so it's beneficial for me to buy from Gamestop. There's also the matter of the fact that Gamestop gets ALL the good Pre order bonuses. If bet buy or amazon even get Pre order bonuses, theyre always crappier than GS. I mean what other store gives a hat for Pre ordering games like sonic colors and what not? Literally if there's Pre order bonuses GS gets all the good ones.

And really? They only talk to you for sales? And here I thought the guy who was talking to me yesterday while Pre ordering sonic generations was legit a nice guy since we spent like 5 minutes talking in new for games coming in and all :/

Thank god I buy games new btw. Gamestop deserves **** from me. I prefer to contribute to a ****ty dev company like Craptivision than I would to gamestop
Bolded: It's because they have money to throw around. And they HAVE to push it. See, Best Buy doesn't just sell games, so it's not a big deal for them. They sell computers, appliances, TVs, etc. Same with Walmart. So getting incentives is low on the totem pole for them. Gamestop, wanting to tackle pre-orders early, will jump the gun for pre-order DLC. Amazon is starting to jump the gun now too. I love Amazon. And I can get gift from them at work. <3

And the people you talk to at Gamestop are VERY hit or miss. You will sometimes find legitimately, nice people who enjoy talking to people about games (I know I did). And there are some who play the game of "Oh yeah, that's great 'relate relate relate', HEY have you heard that this that and the other thing is coming out good buddy?"

It's all in presentation. BUT, loyal customers are what drive that business. And the only reason I pre-ordered at Gamestop over the last year (when I wanted something) was because I had a good friend still working there. He wouldn't see the money I spent on the game, but the pre-orders helped save his job.

Now he no longer works there, so eff that company.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
@Tpk:
Its pretty hard here to find games to buy here other than at gamestop, there are a few local run video game places but really if you're looking for older games (anything I guess under two months old) theres really only gamestop and I guess target..
I miss funcoland, I really do.

I think there is a best buy opening around me soon I'm going to start checking out games from them when it comes to my rare non amazon purchases (Nyc government causes a tax on amazon purchases which sometimes forces me to consider local buying)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Most of the other 'corporate'/big name video game retailer competition was bought out here in the states. Gamestop bought EB games, and merged, Game Crazy went under quickly. Gamestop also within the last couple of years bought a French video game retailer. They're probably make the transition to Gamestop now.

Most companies are. They have a ton of money and advertise like crazy.

Bolded: It's because they have money to throw around. And they HAVE to push it. See, Best Buy doesn't just sell games, so it's not a big deal for them. They sell computers, appliances, TVs, etc. Same with Walmart. So getting incentives is low on the totem pole for them. Gamestop, wanting to tackle pre-orders early, will jump the gun for pre-order DLC. Amazon is starting to jump the gun now too. I love Amazon. And I can get gift from them at work. <3

And the people you talk to at Gamestop are VERY hit or miss. You will sometimes find legitimately, nice people who enjoy talking to people about games (I know I did). And there are some who play the game of "Oh yeah, that's great 'relate relate relate', HEY have you heard that this that and the other thing is coming out good buddy?"

It's all in presentation. BUT, loyal customers are what drive that business. And the only reason I pre-ordered at Gamestop over the last year (when I wanted something) was because I had a good friend still working there. He wouldn't see the money I spent on the game, but the pre-orders helped save his job.

Now he no longer works there, so eff that company.
So that's why? I always thought it was the company that decided that there should be pre order bonuses and that GS just received and distributed them.

And well the guy started telling me how he'd used to play Sonic when he was a kid and how he didn't like the games that came out lately until Unleashed and what not. He even showed me the Xbox that he was pre ordering for Star Wars when I asked about the Gears 3 console and what not (btw I want it soooo baaaaad, my Xbox is a piece of 5 year old **** and that new console looks sexy as hell). Sounded legit nice tbh and not just for pre orders and ****

Out of convenience I go to game stop a lot. There are advantages to going to stores like it at random times rather than buying online. The biggest one is finding the title of a game you never heard of before.

Usually the titles that circulates online are hard to find popular titles which are still good games, but there have been other games I've never heard of that could have been promising if you weren't extremely picky as many gamer seem to be.

Also, I've never really had much problems from there. Trade-ins are low, but again, it's nearby. Never have I had any issues with used games being faulty which is probably true of other stores or online purchases (so many have return polices now for faulty stuff). And, the people have generally been knowledgeable on recent and older things being quite friendly in the process.

Really, the way the store operates overall is profit minded (it wouldn't be a store otherwise), but it's always hit or miss with stores regarding employees. You could have the dirtiest McDonalds or something in one town, and have the cleanest in another. How it's locally managed makes all the difference in my opinion.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Whenever I go to Gamestop, their new games are never gutted unless the only copy that's left is the one they leave for display.
I usually shop there a lot just to find any left over LEs or rare games. I'll buy those online though if it's cheaper.

The biggest problem I find with Gamestop are its employees. Some are hard working and nice and some are just terrible employees so that's like a hit or miss.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Have any good Gamestop stories to share with us? :bee:
Hmmm... If you catch me in a work rant, maybe some will come to mind. But nothing sticks with me at the moment. Hotel work stories are the best though.

Besides the nagging to purchases used games and or pay for games to be releases in the future not yet. XD One thing is for certain or at least in my experiences with GameStop is I always have a better experience there when female employees than the male ones. Only the male employees nag me to death.......
My ex-boss was the exact opposite of this ideal employee you speak of. She jumped down peoples throats to get ANYTHING out of them. Probably why she still has her job, but loses customers left and right.

So that's why? I always thought it was the company that decided that there should be pre order bonuses and that GS just received and distributed them.

And well the guy started telling me how he'd used to play Sonic when he was a kid and how he didn't like the games that came out lately until Unleashed and what not. He even showed me the Xbox that he was pre ordering for Star Wars when I asked about the Gears 3 console and what not (btw I want it soooo baaaaad, my Xbox is a piece of 5 year old **** and that new console looks sexy as hell). Sounded legit nice tbh and not just for pre orders and ****
It's entirely possible you found a nice guy who works at a Gamestop who really wanted to talk about Sonic and buying Xbox. They come few and far between. But they do enjoy talking to people. If you go to a Gamestop, go see him. He'll probably appreciate it.

Out of convenience I go to game stop a lot. There are advantages to going to stores like it at random times rather than buying online. The biggest one is finding the title of a game you never heard of before.

Usually the titles that circulates online are hard to find popular titles which are still good games, but there have been other games I've never heard of that could have been promising if you weren't extremely picky as many gamer seem to be.

Also, I've never really had much problems from there. Trade-ins are low, but again, it's nearby. Never have I had any issues with used games being faulty which is probably true of other stores or online purchases (so many have return polices now for faulty stuff). And, the people have generally been knowledgeable on recent and older things being quite friendly in the process.

Really, the way the store operates overall is profit minded (it wouldn't be a store otherwise), but it's always hit or miss with stores regarding employees. You could have the dirtiest McDonalds or something in one town, and have the cleanest in another. How it's locally managed makes all the difference in my opinion.
The only thing that Gamestop has as far as convenience to me is the occasional "Rarer than the Holy Grail with the Ark of the Covenant" game. But even THAT'S gonna stop, since they're weeding out the old games (I think they stopped carrying Gamecube games within the last year).

Whenever I go to Gamestop, their new games are never gutted unless the only copy that's left is the one they leave for display.
I usually shop there a lot just to find any left over LEs or rare games. I'll buy those online though if it's cheaper.

The biggest problem I find with Gamestop are its employees. Some are hard working and nice and some are just terrible employees so that's like a hit or miss.
See above. It's really hit or miss. Some customers of mine from the last few years are still good friends with me. Talk to them on Live every once in a while. You can meet some great people at the place, but like I said, real hit or miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom