• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Not gonna lie, I really am annoyed by those wannabe "good" singers on youtube that make music videos of cover songs, while they are using a bunch of split screen effects on themselves playing different instruments. So I support that part 100%
This line of thinking really bugs me. You're supporting suppression of freedoms simply because one of the things being suppressed happens to annoy you.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This line of thinking really bugs me. You're supporting suppression of freedoms simply because one of the things being suppressed happens to annoy you.
That's not really the reason. There are plenty of good, if not great singers out there, but getting paid and famous to do covers of other artists in my opinion requires very little talent. Instead, make your own songs and your own music, then you have my respect.

This is how Justin Bieber got famous. By making covers of other songs on youtube. I don't need another Bieber in this world. He pretty much started the trend of youtube covers, and now the scene has just become abundant of these kinda guys. The guy doesn't even write his own music these days, and has the biggest ego around. Hell, I even question his ability to make any type of music.

Overall, the part that annoys me the most is that youtube sponsors these guys, because they get a lot of views. Sponsors mean they either get free products or paid. Basically, they are taking what's already out there and reaping benefits from it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...I take that back.

-_-

C'mon, Bored. Think about what you just said for a second. First off, it takes PLENTY of talent to cover a song and cover it well. There's a certain amount of integrity that you have to maintain while putting your own indelible stamp on it. It's a very tricky process. I'm not speaking for Bieber as far as that goes, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one artist/band out there that has got their start from covering a song or two. And I'm not even talking about Youtube, either.

Secondly, Bieber didn't really start any kind of "trend." Youtube has been a fount for that kind of talent-searching for years. Same with Facebook's predecessor, Myspace. I can't think of any other good examples right now, but here's five examples on Youtube alone: http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2010/06/-celebrities-who-started-on-youtube.html

I would like to note that some of these artists got their start a few years before Bieber officially rose to prominence. Not after. They also covered songs as well (except for Sullivan and Bo), but again, these are just a handful of examples I dredged up. I'm sure if I looked a little harder I would find more "original" artists.

Finally, I would just like to address your last point (and pardon me if I sound like a douche for saying this): Who gives a flying **** if they use Youtube to nab sponsors? Do you know how hard it is to nail a legit sponsor through circumstance, Bored? It's practically auspiciously conditioned, man. Not everybody gets a fairytale meeting with an exec from a record company. It's even harder still to get a record deal in all of the mundane ways. ****, it's still difficult to get that kind of attention, even through Youtube. While I won't necessarily say it's a sign of progression in this field of recruitment, it is a sign of things changing. Youtube's a tool, and it's one that artists (prospective or not) should at least be savvy enough to utilize.

Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
...I take that back.

-_-

C'mon, Bored. Think about what you just said for a second. First off, it takes PLENTY of talent to cover a song and cover it well. There's a certain amount of integrity that you have to maintain while putting your own indelible stamp on it. It's a very tricky process. I'm not speaking for Bieber as far as that goes, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one artist/band out there that has got their start from covering a song or two. And I'm not even talking about Youtube, either.
The talent to cover a song is miniscule compared to the talent in making your own songs, lyrics, etc. I commend their quality of play, but I'm really not all for using other people's popularity to make your own gain. It doesn't speak much to me in terms of creativity with your own music. Most artists spend over a year before they release an album due to the work they put in. Then you look at Sam Tsui, the guy has made money, television appearances, and among other things simply for making covers. Yeah due to his popularity, he is paying "royalties" to the record companies, but once again, if he isn't making original music, then to me, he's just advertising himself for the sake of getting more views via more covers. There just gets to a point where I'm like "enough is enough". There has to be a point where you need to stop "mooching" off of other people's fame to get your own.

Secondly, Bieber didn't really start any kind of "trend." Youtube has been a fount for that kind of talent-searching for years. Same with Facebook's predecessor, Myspace. I can't think of any other good examples right now, but here's five examples on Youtube alone: http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2010/06/-celebrities-who-started-on-youtube.html
Seriously? Bieber is the first youtube singer to become a pop icon. There has been an explosion of cover artists and singers since then on youtube.

At least the artists on Myspace tend to have their own music. Hell, Myspace even had their own record label to sign these artists. As far as talent searching goes, I'd rather be at PureVolume, where I know I can find artists for their own music and not someone else's. can even date those bands back to websites like Purevolume, where bands posted their own creations. Rarely ever did they get popular because of a "cover". They got popular, signed, and got through with their own music.

I would like to note that some of these artists got their start a few years before Bieber officially rose to prominence. Not after. They also covered songs as well (except for Sullivan and Bo), but again, these are just a handful of examples I dredged up. I'm sure if I looked a little harder I would find more "original" artists.
You do understand why these "cover" artists get their opportunities right? It's because they are covering main stream titles, so they are easier to find than say, that diamond in the rough ala Susan Boyle like. I can go to a website like Pure Volume and find 20-30 artists that make their own music, but are not as popular because no one knows about them, because they don't do any type of covers. Is it a smart business move to do covers? Oh yeah, definitely. That doesn't mean it's anywhere near as good as another product.

Finally, I would just like to address your last point (and pardon me if I sound like a douche for saying this): Who gives a flying **** if they use Youtube to nab sponsors? Do you know how hard it is to nail a legit sponsor through circumstance, Bored? It's practically auspiciously conditioned, man. Not everybody gets a fairytale meeting with an exec from a record company. It's even harder still to get a record deal in all of the mundane ways. ****, it's still difficult to get that kind of attention, even through Youtube. While I won't necessarily say it's a sign of progression in this field of recruitment, it is a sign of things changing. Youtube's a tool, and it's one that artists (prospective or not) should at least be savvy enough to utilize.
I didn't say they get the sponsors, I say that because they have those so many views, Youtube OFFERS them sponsorships. Again, this boils down to where I'd rather have a lesser known artist who makes their own music to be sponsored than some guy who decided to cover a song in order to get millions of views. Youtube is in it to make money, so they are gonna tag the guys who have a lot of views. Naturally, if I was a cover artist, I'd take that sponsorship, because as you said, it's a step towards getting that "fairytale meeting with an exec from a record company". Youtube sponsors them, then they are on the front page of youtube...another sponsor looks up top videos, sees random cover artist, thinks he's good, and offers him a way to make more money.

That's at least the part why I'm for this bill in regards to this category or discussion. It takes away from the artists that make their own music, and it lessens their chance to get that "fairytale meeting". If these cover artists want to go through the work of contacting a record company and asking permission to do a cover, then go ahead...but hey, I'd rather them go through a lengthy process before they can post up a cover of the next big song.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Thanks for that, guys! I may not go to work on this Independence Day 'cause I'm sick. I dunno. My fever broke sometime last night, but I'm still feeling warm and I'm aching in my joints.

@ Bored:

What's good and what's not is entirely subjective. I'm not looking at it like that, man. I'm looking at things a little more objectively. If I did look at things through the same lenses, you'd find I'd actually agree with you on the points you make about some of these faux musicians.

I just don't think it's healthy to shoot down freedom of expression on the whole just because people have an easy out to fame. Real artists are still gonna be real, regardless of the bull****.

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haha, if it were only that easy. Last year was great, cause I got to spend time with my cousins, and some other family friends I've known a while. Afterwards, we went to this local burger joint...good stuff.

finalark

SNORLAX
This year my friends and I are probably just going to all get together and Smash the night away. Like we do every year.

Also, Flat-Chest Fetish has my approval.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
343 is made of mostly old Bungie employees and people who helped get Halo off the ground. I have a lot of faith in them.
This is something that I'm never really that comfortable/sure about- when people from one company form another company, and make games based on the franchise that the company that they come from makes, or when a company just sells the rights to their games to someone else.
I can see this new Halo being good like, because from the looks of it (correct me if I wrong, I'm alien to this series) theres a strong storyline, a good focus of story to multiplayer, and a good aesthetic feel throughout, but I still have doubts that another company could pull it off.

Of course, this could be me being sore about what happened to Crash Bandicoot after it left Naughty Dog, as well as the PSP Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank games, which while good, were nowhere near as good as their console counterparts; with Lost Frontier being particularly underwhelming.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So, platinumed inFamous2. All over, much better than the first one. Out of like 13 games I own, I've routed it down to about 5 games I play.

Little Big Planet, Ar Tone Leco (my gfs game really), Streets of Rage, and Wipeout haven't been started. Probably won't play any of them but ATL for a while, I just merely own them >_>.

Me and Jayda play Mario Kart, and it's on Haitus because it's making me angry.

Mortal Kombat is working on 24hr mastery and is currently inaccessible.

So that's 6.

I'm seriously playing NarutoUNS2, SMG, Dragon Quest IX, Zelda OoT, and Ressonece of Fate.

Hmm. That's 11, not 13. It'd be twelve if it counts that 40min speed run of Sonic1 for a trophy, but that'll take like a day tops. I'm just lazy =(

Galaxy2 really pwned the first one btw =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom