• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I kind of feel like the Tomb Raider franchise just needs to be laid to rest. Uncharted already took its place as the modern equivalent, there's no need for Tomb Raider to stick around.
That's kinda silly thinking. Should GTA have been put to rest when True Crime or Saints Row came out? Should MGS have been put to rest when Splinter Cell came out? That kind of thinking leads to less good games in general.

Besides, with the big emphasis on plot and narrative nowadays, a female protagonist makes a very big difference, enough to distinguish it from Uncharted in my eyes. Even if the gameplay may be similar (and it's too early to say either way)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ You know what's sad? I've never played a Tomb Raider or a Uncharted. What do they play like, lol?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I like the thread title now, *cough*not*coughLithy*coughcough

I want to play the Uncharted games, too bad I don't have a PS3. :c
well my friend it's about time you got one, you won't be dissapointed and you'll have the best of both worlds. (3 if you have a Wii)

:phone:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I find the Gamespot review amusing because they talk constantly about how amazing inFamous 2 is. They give it a glowing review, but then rate it 7.5.

Makes no sense.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
IGN has a different guy reviewing each game...with that being said, I find it lol worthy how a game can be talked about so much regards to how good it is...then because of one minor complaint, it gets like an 8.5. Same time, a game can have multiple complaints during the review and get a 8.5 as well.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
inFamous2 got a pretty good review by ign. I don't get Gamespot either. They also complained about all the QFE in God of War 3. I don't get it.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I pay no mind to the published paid opinions of reviewers. I did at one point, then realized, those people are ****ing wrong.

I'd rather go around the mall and ask what folks think of the game that I'm interested in.

And the Kayne and Lynch issue that happened at gamespot didn't help in my losing faith in paid reviewers. I hold reviewers like AVGN and Yahtzee at a higher pedestal than those other guys.

OmegaXXII

I pay no mind to the published paid opinions of reviewers. I did at one point, then realized, those people are ****ing wrong.
QFT!!

You sir win!!

I find publisher and critic reviews very overrated, aren't always accurate and sometimes make no sense at all, I'd rather just go and experience it myself, and of course sometimes take advice from my fellow SWF'ers for advice. :)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just listen to critics (of any kind) because it can go a long way into if I want to pay 60 bucks for a game, 10 bucks for a movie ticket, etc.

I never read reviews for games I know that I'm gonna buy. The thing with reviewers is that they nit-pick games to hell and back, and when they pull apart the game that far, it ends up lessening the experience since I'm conscious of all these little imperfections that I would have otherwise either ignored or never noticed.

For example, with Metroid Other M, I played the game and enjoyed it just like how I enjoyed every previous Metroid game, and afterward, I read the reviews. One of the criticisms they mentioned were Samus' monologues, which never bothered me in the slightest, in fact, I actually really liked it. However, some reviewers said that it was a horrible abomination of an experience that they had while listening to it, and that all they wanted Samus to do was shut up because everything was terrible. Had I read the review before, my initial experience with the game would've been worse.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I like reading reviews just because I want to see how others thoughts compare to mine, but I actually don't let it reflect my decision in any major way

The problem IMO with these guys is that they're too biased when they review. Either they don't like the genre they're reviewing so they'd naturally be inclined to give a low score, a company pays them to say certain things about a game, or they just plain suck at reviewing a game, which is what most reviewers suffer from

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I don't let reviews alter my judgment on a game. However, as you said Twinkie about Other M, if you know Samus' history, she's supposed to be a BAMF. Not this emo whiny *****. It was super frustrating to hear her talk. On top of that, I didn't even like the VA for her.

I always use a mix of critics, peers, and even playing a demo/rent to figure out if it's worth it.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yeah, I don't let reviews alter my judgment on a game. However, as you said Twinkie about Other M, if you know Samus' history, she's supposed to be a BAMF. Not this emo whiny *****. It was super frustrating to hear her talk. On top of that, I didn't even like the VA for her.

I always use a mix of critics, peers, and even playing a demo/rent to figure out if it's worth it.
It wasn't frustrating to hear her talk per say, just for her to talk like she did;
being really submissive and at other times, mistress of the obvious. The story would've made more sense as a prequel to the franchise, as it could have been a part of her character development, especially considering the Ridley scene as it could've been placed before she defeated him ever... :/

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Isn't Other M the ones where Samus has huge amounts of baggage an is scared to face Ridley in this game or something?

Still haven't played it and the Metroid series doesn't interest me as a whole honestly

OmegaXXII

Still haven't played it and the Metroid series doesn't interest me as a whole honestly
Same here! The series just never happened to catch my attention or interest for that matter, I'm more of a Megaman kind of guy.

But in general, I like Samus a little more.

because she is hot!!

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
So I haven't bought a lot of Wii games lately, but I heard that Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns are good games, what do you guys think?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Kirby's Epic Yarn is really good but it's pretty easy. The challenge isn't dying (because you can't), but collecting everything. And it's cute.

Haven't played DKCR myself, but from what I hear, it's pretty good. Starts off pretty easy, but after a couple levels, it gets pretty difficult. Some people really hate the motion controls. I still get a lot of enjoyment out of the original DKC, so I didn't feel the need to invest in this one.

OmegaXXII

DKC returns is a good game, alot of stuff will be recognizable if you've ever played any of the originals.

But IMO it's biggest drawback are the controls, seriously, a classic setting would have been so much like the SNES, but then again if you don't mind the motion controller, then by all means it's a must.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
You can't die in Kirby's Epic Yarn?! How the heck would boss battles work then? They can just keep hitting you over and over again and you never die?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Again, you just lose all of your gems you collect. Kind of like Sonic's rings, I suppose? When you hit an enemy, all of your gems scatter, even bosses.

But yeah, essentially.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Going to inFamous 2 launch tonight with like 8 friends. One of them is recording the whole thing, too. lolz.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
GJ FA8L. Your name isn't what you are :3.

DKCR is great, btw. Kirby is good, but a little to easy.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Thanks guys, I love each and one of you. And my original username was "xF8ALx" back in 2006-2007 till I got it changed.

Anyways, I'm leaving in a few for grad. I have a high level of trust in you guys to not blow up the LH, haha. :p

See you guys in a few hours. (Gotta read up on everything when I get back home.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom