• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Level 3 CPU training

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Okokokokokokokokok... I know this issue has been beaten to death and I would understand if this thread is locked, but looking at the MLG interview with M2K:

"2. Who was your hardest match this tournament?"

"Ally, but Snake is my most practiced matchup. About half of my Brawl playtime is against level 3 CPU Snake, so I have a lot of experience in the matchup."

We've heard he plays against CPU's, but what do you need to do against a level 3 CPU to be productive?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nothing at all.

Just hit them, hit them again, then hit them some more. If anything, he does it because they don't have "inhuman airdodge reaction time", and M2K can get a 'feeling' of Snake's weight while he attacks... But that's all I see you gain, and you could gain that much easier by just fighting Snake players as much as possible (of course, if you're at your house alone and wanna practice...).

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I just find it strange he would say "...so I have a lot of experience in the matchup" considering he is mainly referring to the CPU's.

-Ran

Smash Master
It's all for visualization and practicing spacing and precision. He most likely gets furious at himself if he gets hit once, or fails to get a gimp off one hit string.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
AI's do get you good up to a certain point...
I mean when you're complete and total newb your first goal is to probably beat a LV 9.
After that though you don't really get better unless you play real players.
I mean, I played LV 9s so much in the passed that I got to a point where I just knew what they were going to do and when. Like if you D-throw them with snake they will almost always roll towards a ledge.

But like Kewkky said, its probably more about getting a good feeling of their weight and what combos work on them

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
More important question-is it even possible to get real training against AIs?
In certain ways.

The A.I. is of course really good at punishment (when it doesn't spam roll). The A.I. shows you some ways to approach or beat an approach, but of course its programming hasn't "thought" of everything, and you don't see ATs.

The A.I. also invents really crazy combos / traps that only work at a single damage value.

The A.I. never screws up a grab or punishment to a char like Kirby's landing hurtbox.

And the A.I. has completely sick Smash DI, some of the time, so while its failure to survive doesn't prove something is impossible, the A.I. has shown me quite a lot about ways to save myself in times when it is possible.

Also, because of the fact the A.I. doesn't actually think and doesn't watch you and doesn't have a mind to be gamed, if you challenge yourself to play "only to beat its approaches" (don't spam aggro on it, as you can do against any computer until they start insta air dodging), it can help you notice bad habits of yours, but only if you yourself bring some level of self-awareness in. That is, since the computer doesn't watch what you do, it will sometimes just get lucky and hit you anyway, if you keep doing the same thing in that situation to respond. It will point out that response (a) is not a get out of jail free card, and (b) is in fact answerable with what the A.I. just did (so you make a note in case you play this from the other side).
Conversely, it may escape something which you think is a good string, because the computer doesn't get nervous or tunneled into forgetting its options. It keeps things really simple, and has shown me (in situations where the opponent doesn't do anything I haven't thought to test, of course) what simplicity can get you. But again, you've got to be self-aware, this time realizing that Human players will not play perfect an entire game, indeed you have to count on it, so you've got to play real people and still see what psychologically works, or in real games you'll play as dryly and unpsychologically as the computer, and you'll never get an edge.

I actually learned the most about the Kirby - Ganon matchup by carefully probing the Kirby and Ganon A.I.s than any game I've played with a person. It's not a substitute for those real games, and I don't pretend I now have everything I'd need to take on a Human (again, since the A.I. simply will never reinvent the game), but I was able to get data that couldn't lie to me.
By watching the technically perfect Ganon respond to me trying out dumb **** with Kirby on it, I learned ways (at least *ways*) to counter said dumb ****.

But because this can't be stressed hard enough, you can't learn anything from how **** you can **** the A.I. when it does stupid things like ALWAYS air dodging out of a throw (you can CG any CPU with any character, pretty much), recovering like a moron, randomly doing unsafe moves (MK jab? I swear, the L9 MK would be pretty beast if it never jabbed and could aim its recovery.), etc.
(It especially saddens me that I can't get *any* practice for Ganon Choke chasing reaction against an A.I. whatsoever, because they all wait there for a couple frames completely removing the guessing game. If they randomly answered with the actual options, I could choke A.I.s and chase all day and be godlike with that trained reaction. :\)

Actually the A.I., again as its "technical perfection", you sometimes see it using unsafe moves which situationally turn out to be safe. Falcon Kicks, say, which knock you just so and you can't position a punish... actually you're left on guard, even.

If you memorize these situations, it's one extra edge... and it'll be as much of a surprise as it is when the CPU does it, unless facing someone with pre-eminent knowledge & understanding of the physics and frames of the game. Such a pro would be of a sort that doesn't exist for this game, I don't think. We have pros who have conscious access of frames in real time, we have M2K who is said to 'get' Smash in general, and any pros at that mythic level are good at adapting and applying learned behaviours ('trained neural pathways'), but these last few are through unconscious media; Take anyone at M2K or Ally's, or I dunno, Mango's level from Melee, and this person would be of a meta-Godlike level above their Godlike competitors, if they "knew" everything about cause and effect in the game physics, consciously, in real time.

That's the ultimate goal, and unless I'm mistaken, it's quite far from Human achievement.
If it has been achieved, the Human mind has yet again blown mine.

*~*~*~

Don't play CPUs to learn the game. Play people first. For a long time.
Then touch CPUs.

CPUs destroy you if you tackle them first. I mean destroy your skills, and very brain structure for learning the game, even if you "destroy them" in the match.

MDU

Smash Cadet
I find that if you train with a CPU with the intention of NOT DESTROYING THEM then it can be useful. If you just select Metaknight and continuous gimp a Snake CPU you will not learn anything. However, if you practice Dair camping and making sure you are not getting hit by any of snakes things then the training is very useful. If you don't play to win, then you will get something out of it. By the same measure, It is highly ineffective to practice stuff like comboing or grab followups because If you try to exploit the AI's poor choice of DI and stupid air dodges then you are doing yourself no favours. However, if you simply practice the core basics of your character which includes recovery, spacing and zoning, then AI training can be useful.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
He said it like that because he knew you'd make a topic about that. He's M2K It's not like he fights the best snake and various snakes all the time (sarcasm) . He does train against lvl 3s but he said it like that to troll you.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
I play wario and train on CPUs. I practice on not getting hit the entire 3 stocks and putting myself into grab range. It's definatleu helped me improve.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i watched m2k today use banana items and bumpers on his lv 3 special buddy

it was cute/really weird/funny to watch, idk i somehow feel more humbled after watching

ludvigpasse

Smash Cadet
Imo you can get better fighting the cpu especially level 9. IF you play vs the computer like you would do vs a good player. And dont spam stuff that works vs cpu but not vs other humans. So if you play the cpu the right way, i do strongly believe that you can get alot better. But once you reached that limit, its only humans that counts. Except for warming up.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I beat a lv9 Diddy and a lv9 Ganondorf without ever being hit once with Kirby in separate matches, with 3 stocks each, by rushing towards them and never letting them do anything to me.

Am I M2K status yet?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
are you not telling us this was on bridge of eldin and bthrows where involved
Both were in FD and no kirbicides were involved. It was just straight-up obliteration.

i hope no one takes this thread seriously, CPUs are in no way better than playing other people

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
In certain ways.

The A.I. is of course really good at punishment (when it doesn't spam roll). The A.I. shows you some ways to approach or beat an approach, but of course its programming hasn't "thought" of everything, and you don't see ATs.

The A.I. also invents really crazy combos / traps that only work at a single damage value.

The A.I. never screws up a grab or punishment to a char like Kirby's landing hurtbox.

And the A.I. has completely sick Smash DI, some of the time, so while its failure to survive doesn't prove something is impossible, the A.I. has shown me quite a lot about ways to save myself in times when it is possible.

Also, because of the fact the A.I. doesn't actually think and doesn't watch you and doesn't have a mind to be gamed, if you challenge yourself to play "only to beat its approaches" (don't spam aggro on it, as you can do against any computer until they start insta air dodging), it can help you notice bad habits of yours, but only if you yourself bring some level of self-awareness in. That is, since the computer doesn't watch what you do, it will sometimes just get lucky and hit you anyway, if you keep doing the same thing in that situation to respond. It will point out that response (a) is not a get out of jail free card, and (b) is in fact answerable with what the A.I. just did (so you make a note in case you play this from the other side).
Conversely, it may escape something which you think is a good string, because the computer doesn't get nervous or tunneled into forgetting its options. It keeps things really simple, and has shown me (in situations where the opponent doesn't do anything I haven't thought to test, of course) what simplicity can get you. But again, you've got to be self-aware, this time realizing that Human players will not play perfect an entire game, indeed you have to count on it, so you've got to play real people and still see what psychologically works, or in real games you'll play as dryly and unpsychologically as the computer, and you'll never get an edge.

I actually learned the most about the Kirby - Ganon matchup by carefully probing the Kirby and Ganon A.I.s than any game I've played with a person. It's not a substitute for those real games, and I don't pretend I now have everything I'd need to take on a Human (again, since the A.I. simply will never reinvent the game), but I was able to get data that couldn't lie to me.
By watching the technically perfect Ganon respond to me trying out dumb **** with Kirby on it, I learned ways (at least *ways*) to counter said dumb ****.

But because this can't be stressed hard enough, you can't learn anything from how **** you can **** the A.I. when it does stupid things like ALWAYS air dodging out of a throw (you can CG any CPU with any character, pretty much), recovering like a moron, randomly doing unsafe moves (MK jab? I swear, the L9 MK would be pretty beast if it never jabbed and could aim its recovery.), etc.
(It especially saddens me that I can't get *any* practice for Ganon Choke chasing reaction against an A.I. whatsoever, because they all wait there for a couple frames completely removing the guessing game. If they randomly answered with the actual options, I could choke A.I.s and chase all day and be godlike with that trained reaction. :\)

Actually the A.I., again as its "technical perfection", you sometimes see it using unsafe moves which situationally turn out to be safe. Falcon Kicks, say, which knock you just so and you can't position a punish... actually you're left on guard, even.

If you memorize these situations, it's one extra edge... and it'll be as much of a surprise as it is when the CPU does it, unless facing someone with pre-eminent knowledge & understanding of the physics and frames of the game. Such a pro would be of a sort that doesn't exist for this game, I don't think. We have pros who have conscious access of frames in real time, we have M2K who is said to 'get' Smash in general, and any pros at that mythic level are good at adapting and applying learned behaviours ('trained neural pathways'), but these last few are through unconscious media; Take anyone at M2K or Ally's, or I dunno, Mango's level from Melee, and this person would be of a meta-Godlike level above their Godlike competitors, if they "knew" everything about cause and effect in the game physics, consciously, in real time.

That's the ultimate goal, and unless I'm mistaken, it's quite far from Human achievement.
If it has been achieved, the Human mind has yet again blown mine.

*~*~*~

Don't play CPUs to learn the game. Play people first. For a long time.
Then touch CPUs.

CPUs destroy you if you tackle them first. I mean destroy your skills, and very brain structure for learning the game, even if you "destroy them" in the match.
Wow, this is a impressively informative explanation. I never quite understood the lvl 3 CPU concept either but it makes much more sense now. Thanks for sharing.

Prawn

Smash Master
he doesnt take advantedge of the cpus dumb habits, he puts them in positions that real players could be in and reacts as if its a real player playing

you cant figure that out yourself lol?

Black Star

Smash Cadet
Why doesn't someone i don't know.....actually ASK M2K why he plays CPUs for training, more specifically level 3 snake CPUs? And post what he says here so the "mystery" will be clear. Just my opinion.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
because m2k doesnt speak english

he's a robot
01010111 01101000 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01111001 00100000 01100011 01110000 01110101 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01101001 01101110 01101001 01101110 01100111 00111111

BluB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Crazy_Arni
01101100 01101111 01101100 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100011 01101111 01100100 01100101

I personally train against lvl 3/5 cpus sometimes to test and try out some new BDacus and platform cancel/ shield drop set-ups.

g2g4gold

Smash Cadet
Curious, why would you choose level 3 CPU's versus level 9's, or any other number for example?

RATED

Smash Lord
when I get bored, I just play characters that its size overall is kinda annoying just to study their rolls distance and those stuff.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Oh my god. The number of people coming in here and saying "U shud play levul 9s cuz there hrder" when there is a full, detailed explanation 8 posts into the thread is starting to make me wonder where the hell the human attention span went

Top Bottom