• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Link.

D

Deleted member

unless you're fighting a few specific characters, big daddy link is better. he also has some really *** *** combos on fox/falco.

rhan

Smash Hero
Hes faster
Hes more agile
Hes smaller
He drinks milk
He is weaker
His chain doesn't reach as far as Adult Link
His sword is smaller
His throw is less vigorous
Being a Young Link main I can agree with these statements. I say Link is slightly better then Young Link due to the fact he has better killing options. Link can take on a lot of characters with only a few troubles. IMO Link can fight Marth easier then a Young Link can. But on the other hand Young Link can fight Jiggs and Peach better. Where Link lacks in those matchups Young Link makes up for and vice versa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zZkjMaVlk

the fox may not be so great, and i was alittle off my game, but critique plz?
<3333333333333

No homo

Skrah

Smash Ace
Awesome match, Shaeman :)

On another note, what advice do you have against Shiek matchups. I have started playing smash on a higher level again recently, and the games that I've had with my friend I have most of the time lost. So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Usually he uses Sheik, but he is a high tier *****, so he might use Falco or Marth too.

With Sheik he abuses a lot the fair and the dash attack, and although my range control is good my speed has gone down a bit since the last time we were playing in a good level, so any advice?

KrazyIvan3003

Smash Rookie
Ummm i barely post on here (lurk alot tho) so hello :bee:. i want to talk about links spotdodge. I keep getting told by my friends that if i spotdodge to much with link, i can get punished bad. How does link's spot dodge compared to others? should i use it at certain times? Im just barely getting into high competitive play.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
spotdodge
-when you get hit with fox's dair , use spot dodge or roll right after the dair because he will most likely go for a shine, grab or usmash.
-if your shielding and and your getting hit with lasers and hes approaching you can roll or spotdodge, NOT the lasers but the grab that falco will execute when he reaches your sheild.
-Link dittos, refuse spot dodging after an arial lol. since i'll just scrah oos.
-try spot dodging grabs and such. some grabs are predictable.
-i recommend you to spot dodge against sheik, sheiks cg game is gaay =(

i'll edit this more after.

Skrah

Smash Ace
^bahahahahahhaha OMFG YOUR NAME IS SO SEXED[/QUOTE

haha thanks. I normally suck with names, but this one came out ok xD

Well spot dodging for me works really well. I wouldn't recommend spot dodging a shine cause if the player using a spacy is really good he could multi-shine you, but against grabs, as sots said its a pretty good technique.

And hiIH, at what percentage would that combo work well even with good DI?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If you get formulaic with the spotdodge, you get predictable and a simple dashdance mindgame will lead to you getting punished. Unless you're Drephen in which case you just spotdodge more to avoid the punishment.

Frame data:

invulnerable 2-15 out of 22

It's amongst the best.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Spotdodges can get you punished pretty easily.

That Dsmash combo works... maybe 20-30? Don't rely on it or always try to aim for it (since if you miss, Dsmash IS punishable if shielded), but any combo is good for Sheik. Especially that one, since you can keep her under you for a while. That's where you wanna be against Sheik (and most characters.) Under them.

Uairs are too ****.

EDIT-The problem I used to have the most against Sheik was... I dunno, I'd get nervous, and mess up even more. Don't be nervous. Chaingrabs suck, but it's winnable.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
izaw made brawl look fast.
until some metaknight/ANY HIGH TIER players come to switzerland or wherever the heck he lives,
he won't quit link.
or brawl for that matter. its saddening/

oh and thanks for the help stos.
and everyone who commented ;)

Skrah

Smash Ace
Brawl was so dissapointing :( and for some reason I hated brawl link. He's so awkward...

Well a combo I usually did on Shiek was grab>down grab>dmash>dair... do you think that would work?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
wtf is brawl? lol jks.

i was so hyped up about Link charged scrah but then after playing couple game I started to dislike it, brawl itself.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The charged Spin Attack gives you like... less knockback than Melee's Spin Attack, but has more startup lag. And then there're the new bombs which only hit if your opponent is catatonic and can be thrown back at you fairly easily.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
It's really just the bow. The hookshot recovery SUCKS in Brawl and the grabs don't lead to anything.

But it doesn't matter, as long as a character isn't Meta Knight, they lose.

Skler

Smash Master
Lets never talk about Brawl ever, unless you're using it as a synonym for garbage, bad or suck.

Anyways, I like to do combos where I stab them a few times and then start kicking them. Does anybody else like to do those combos?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i love this combo
throw bomb, throw rang, nair opponent runaway grab bomb repeat.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I love chaining aerials off the stage. Nair double jump nair again to recover. Or nair double jump nair to fail and die. Either way, pretty cool.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Personally, I love Nair>Nair>nair>nair>Nair, and then to mix it up, finish it up with a neutral air.

EDIT-On FF's, Uthrow, Utilt/Uair juggling is pretty hawt into a late Uair>Dair

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
HOLY**** GUESS WHO I 2 STOCKED TODAY!?! It's my first time beating his fox too loool. im such a failure in this game.
Match Up: Link vs. Fox in PS.
=D

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
...who did you two stock?

And beating Fox as Link is a pretty big achievement...

RaynEX?
yes .
so now my next goal is to beat him in a set.

Edit:
his fox is so fast, like i cant even camp him. i basically had to slow down my Link, use platforms, tech chase re grab, combo, gimp and predict. this fox is a huge challenge dam.

RaynEx
I know you search your name =D
or should a i say Bernard, you're a ****ing beast.

Skrah

Smash Ace
HOLY**** GUESS WHO I 2 STOCKED TODAY!?! It's my first time beating his fox too loool. im such a failure in this game.
Match Up: Link vs. Fox in PS.
=D
Congrats man :] teach those fox *******s who is boss around here :p

Well, unfortunately there wasn't a tournament this weekend, but I played a friend, who has a really good falco, and I ***** him with link. Although I'm trying to second cpt. falcon against really bad matchups

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
yeah im actually starting to look for a second although im sure im not going to bother using him in tourneys lol.
but right now im training my mario/doc and falcon.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Falcon gets owned by Fox, Falco and Sheik so... I dunno what match-ups you're going to cover with him...

Skrah

Smash Ace
:O He doesn't get ***** by sheik, at least not in big enough stages. I'm pretty sure he does great against those matchups. But if you have proof or something, please tell me since I'm willing to stand corrected.

Top Bottom