• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's discuss Lucario habits

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
As Lucario many of us tend to develop certain habits that are either healthy or unhealthy. This thread will promote discussion into playing with a healthier playstyle and not getting punished by certain things.

Healthy playstyle options:
1. Following DI with strings: If you spam FAir you're going to have trouble against people who DI out of your strings. If you read their DI you will successfully land more strings and more damage.

2. Careful camping: By now people easily powershield AS, but chances are they wont always perfect shield a B-reversed or a Broversaled Aura Sphere. Another option is to try to hit the top part of the shield with AS. "When in doubt aim for the head." Being able to wear down your opponent's shield a bit really really makes approaching easier.

3. Aura Sphere spacing tools: Broversal, AS charge canceling, standard B-Reversal. Charge canceling is really really good and it gives us lagless options, keeps us moving, and unpredictable. Combine that with Broversal and you have one hard to hit Lucario.

Unhealthy playstyle:
1. FFDAir out of hitstun: Unless if you're using Air Walk you should not be doing this. All the opponent has to do is hit you a little above the ground and you'll get grabbed or hit by a rather damaging attack since DAir suffers landing lag when FFed in hitstun. I've noticed this habit amongst every single Lucario I can think of...

2. Don't go on autopilot: DAiring a full shield is usually not a good idea. Trying to hit characters like Marth and Peach with FAir strings is really risky for obvious reasons... Unless you space well you will get punished.

There's a lot to discuss, but I wanted to start us off.

Neverbound

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wulfiepaw
Switch FC
5778-4164-2795
3.Getting desperate and f-smashing over and over
4.Being a freakin rollcario....
I have the airdodge problem

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Not sure if good or bad habit:

Rolling in when an opponent is committed to an attack/approach: resets the situation, makes you look like a rollcario but you're really not. You're rolling when you KNOW they can't punish you for it.

Uptilt, dairs, jabs OOS: self explainitory.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I don't do this, but it annoys the hell outta me: roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll.

Biggest example I've heard: "I roll everywhere because its faster and safer."

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
I have an air dodge problem at low percents. But I also have the habbits of jab jab fp or grab fair fair nair ff as. Works every time unless they promash out of fp or sidestep the fp. then you're **** and can you spell punished?

I'm actually going to say this

Habits are NEVER good

NEVER

Your entire game plan should be based around adaptation to your opponent's playstyle and habits, and you can bet good players will be looking for yours as well. Falling into ANY habit, whether it be poking with the same moves over and over, or DIing a certain way, is bad because of the opponent being able to adapt to them and counter/punish/avoid them. Even things that may seem okay - things that may work on one person - can be harmful to you over all (someone else picks up on what to do, putting you at a disadvantage by seeing through all of your habits while you're stuck with those habits and not much else, or something of the like) unless you can adapt with your opponent.

Be like river water, form to the bed rock below (ie: your opponent's style) and act as such, whether it'd be to act as rapids or a slow stream (aggro vs control, mixups, etc). Or something like that.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
autopiloting sucks anubis-sized balls

-spacing for your opponent gets easier
-his option selection gets better
-often crosses over into positions where you're even MORE crippled, like when trying to recover
-reads (obv.)
-hard to get out of if you aren't good at adapting

friendlies imo are the best place for getting unpredictable, because stuff isn't on the line for trying new stuff and getting a handle on "unbeatable" things you previously had trouble with in a previous time (and can now learn to overcome)

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I don't play luca much, but I have a habit of running away and spamming BAS when im at low percent.

Not sure if thats good or bad. I mean I mix up the timing of em with short hops and what not, but I try and stay as far away as possible when im at low percent. My lucarios trash~! <3

solecalibur

Smash Master
Trying to hit characters like Marth and Peach with FAir strings is really risky for obvious reasons... Unless you space well you will get punished.
Who would be a good character not to and a good character to (not just spam but easier to keep them in the fair string)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
marth is okay, it's just the issue of how you nick them with fair. That and the every so often DS at high percents.

Peach is a different story, nair is so annoying.

Browny

Smash Hater
coz I dont wanna get it buried in the GD...

what do people think of ftilt-ftilt-fsmash at low-mid %'s?

I noticed today its a pretty stock-standard string for me, I'll always go for it one I land the first ftilt and it usually pays off. On heavies and fast fallers ftilt-ftilt usually works as they simply fall into the next ftilt and the follow up fsmash is rarely challenged because people will be trying to get away from the ftilt. What I find is that people either try to DI away from the ftilt and arent paying attention to the fsmash and get hit when they try to attack from too far away or spotdodge, or they roll dodge away to which the fsmash isnt punishable anyway.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've done ftilt to ftilt before, haven't tried any follow-ups after that though.

So it works sometimes when people don't see it coming. Still the Fsmash is something I'm not sure is as reliable.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
alright biznatches:

If I see ANOTHER Gratuitous usmash, I'm going to scream. This move is TRASH unless you know what you're doing w/ it or the opponent conversely has NO IDEA what's going to happen (usually the only time it works consistently is when the opponent is falling into you, which is a BIG NO-NO in general). I hate seeing people always miss with this and suffer almost DT-like afterlag.

Conversely, there's not enough love for jabs n' tilts. This game is almost entirely made/broken on pokes imo, unless you have a gimmick that completely changes how the game plays (ie ICs, and even then Blizzard can be argued as a zoning tool), generally good solid characters have at least some good prodding/high reward advantages from chipping then resetting, which often coincides with good safe punishment.

Lucario's hella slow lol. You need all the traps and fakeouts you can get.

When the opponent is coming back from a KO and has invincibility, DO NOT ROLL. Jump backwards, full hop, hang on the ledge (although this is also debateable, as it limits your options at times), do something besides spotdodge/roll, because the opponent can almost always cover this, it's so predictable.

Lastly, moving away from the stage while recovering WILL SAVE YOU many times. It's counter-intuitive, but so is the idea of magnetizing towards your opponent's now made easy myriad of attacks since your options all consist of inevitably trying to get back onstage. On top of how floaty we are, we've got a stalling dair, and some retaliatory aerials that pack a punch when they whiff. Don't be a baby, moving away is definitely affordable if you can DI whatever attacks may occasionally hit you on a dime, and if you're not an idiot.

If you get the urge to roll out of pressure, at least mix it up half the time with a retreating SH. Even good lucarios are susceptible to this habit, and it can seriously land you in some trouble.

Sorry for the somewhat harsh tone, I see these happen all the time (and for some of these also happened/still happen in my playstyle).

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
But...I like usmash. ;_;

culexus・wau

I hate what Upsmash has done to me.

it made me forget about utilt when people start to jump over me and stuff.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
I use a lot of D-Air and Side-B. :)

I should really learn to U-Throw, U-Tilt, chain throw thing.

lol

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
I'm actually going to say this

Habits are NEVER good

NEVER

Your entire game plan should be based around adaptation to your opponent's playstyle and habits, and you can bet good players will be looking for yours as well. Falling into ANY habit, whether it be poking with the same moves over and over, or DIing a certain way, is bad because of the opponent being able to adapt to them and counter/punish/avoid them. Even things that may seem okay - things that may work on one person - can be harmful to you over all (someone else picks up on what to do, putting you at a disadvantage by seeing through all of your habits while you're stuck with those habits and not much else, or something of the like) unless you can adapt with your opponent.

Be like river water, form to the bed rock below (ie: your opponent's style) and act as such, whether it'd be to act as rapids or a slow stream (aggro vs control, mixups, etc). Or something like that.
Well said. But the problem is that if you are playing a good opponet they will have very few habits to punish then what? That is where I get stuck at.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Only thing that I've working into a habit is doing Double Team on reaction to Charizard's Rock smash, or anything else that it is guaranteed on, when they are at KO %, because it's a guaranteed KO.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Tilts are amazing guys, especially utilts on spotdodging MK's that are foolish enough to try and airdodge onto you and dsmash/grab.

One thing I really have to work on is actually using uairs more. I get greedy with bairs and fairs so I tend to get owned in the air. And rolling to escape MK/Snakes. Bad, bad, bad but I can't stop.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
So my big question is: How do I avoid autopiloting?

Whenever I realize I'm autopiloting I tell myself to stop, only to realize that I can't play normally because I'm over-thinking and over-criticizing myself. I can't remember my normal playstyle. The result is that my coordination goes down the tubes and I end up desperately fsmashing. This doesn't happen often, but it's more likely in high-pressure situations or after I've played for several hours with the same people. This phenomenon is the reason I tell people I'm not good in clutch situations (even though I am if I don't think about it).

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
The trick to avoiding the autopilot is to know that you don't need to plan out every single move you make at first. Start small with basic reads and observation, and then slowly but surely, incorporate more conscious thought into your play.

Also try to always remember to keep a cool head, and maybe have a little fun with your matches if you can. I know I think and come up with reads and complex plans much more quickly, clearly, and creatively when I'm having a barrel of fun compared to when I'm in a neutral state or frustrated.

culexus・wau

Thinking yourself also distracts you from the crowd.

because usually, your mental "voice" is louder then the crowd in most cases. don't quote me on this though I've never had like a huge audience watching my matches before.

useful if you find yourself distracted from the loudness of the tournament like myself :).

Top Bottom