• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
WW Link is my favorite one. Hes the most expressive and has the best animation IMO. Plus hes just awesome comic relief.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I haven't been paying attention :o, what's been happening?
You're probably the only person paying attention to Dallas. Proven by Scabe's statement and my statement.
D=

Dallas is at a top 16 which will recommence tomorrow

Atomsk (Ice Climbers/DDD)

Logic (Olimar)

ESAM (Pikachu)

Fatal (Snake)

Gnes (Diddy)

Ally (Snake)

Nick Riddle (Zero Suit Samus)

X (Sonic)

Lee Martin (MK/Lucario)

Rich Brown (Olimar)

Espy (Sonic)

Tyrant(MK)

DEHF (Falco)

Dojo (MK)

Mikehaze (Marth)

MJG (Toon Link)

The bracket is kinda weird since the players with the most pro points over the course of the MLG events got into the top 8 without needing to play so the other 8 worked into the pro bracket.

The thing people are hyping is the fact Espy and X are still in winners and two Sonics made it to the top 16, which hasn't happened all season, lol.

Also Espy beat DEHF and sent him into losers, X beat Dojo and sent him into losers.

MLG is amazing so many upsets, lol.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's completely odd to most people how the diversity is much better at MLG than most tournaments, either way I love 12 different characters making a top 16.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Honestly, I love having such a wide range of characters in a top 16. Variety makes things more interesting and is good for the sake of the game and MLG in picking the game back up (honestly, after a while if MK dittos are all that gets played people will get bored no matter how exciting the players can make it).

So speaking of tournies, I found a tournament on November 20th near the South Carolina-Georgia border I'm attending. It'll be my first tournament. What advice do you guys have?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Practice Practice Practice.

Also find out what you can about your region, then do some research on the players, you can learn some key things to do.

Oh and have fun, it's no good if you can't do that.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Be cheap and camp like a hero. lol. Well if you want the best chance of winning of course.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So speaking of tournies, I found a tournament on November 20th near the South Carolina-Georgia border I'm attending. It'll be my first tournament. What advice do you guys have?
Everyone makes dumb decisions; it's important to recognize that someone punished an opponent's mistake swiftly. Mistakes shouldn't be counted on, though.

Almost every move of Link's has its uses. Although a lot of ATs are 99% worthless and aren't worth the bother of trying. The simplest option that works for a situation is probably the best. It's hard to think fast enough to properly use most ATs and easier moves would work just as well.
Something Legan said at one point was he uses Fair a lot (is this right?). I rarely used it but started to after reading that and suddenly a gap in my spacing game where characters like Wario would get around my Zairs or Utilts was filled. Zair's often less punishable but wasn't the right choice. Simple techniques are the least punishable too.
Basically if someone can use an AT consistently and it's the best option they should but if they have to think to be sure a more simple similar option is better.

There are a few must-know ATs like ledge stalls, most bomb ATs, Zair/tether tactics, jab options/canceling, quickdraw, and maybe a few more. DI and using the 'C' stick with the control stick are vital as well. Once those are consistent the main concern is spacing the opponent in advance with the best option.

Consistency is important but adapting and making up for mistakes (yours and theirs) is most of a match.

People will CP bad MUs if you win (MK, Falco, DDD, Marth, Olimar, and so on). When SDI/TDIing if you hold 'shield' and use 'C' to SDI Link will Zair the direction he's facing, usually towards the opponent, after you DI away- great for breaking side attack chains and mistimed CGs. Platform camping Chain Grabbers (falco, DDD) is often the best option. Bombs are great for this. DDD is a penguin wannabetubeoflard.

Pick Norfair if you can but sadly it'll either start banned or be banned.
I like to pick PS1 if I don't know what character my opponent will counter-pick because it's the overall friendliest Link stage vs the cast.

Bombs are top priority projectiles that cancel Gordos/charged Beam shots/Charged Aura balls, and pass through most range attacks. Dair has priority over everything but grabs and full armor-frame attacks, but bad disjointed reach. Every standard attack Link has will cancel weak range attacks that aren't piercing (sheik's needles, space animal/ROB lasers). I've Fsmashed through fireballs and Zaired ZSS's paralizer. That's a big reason why Nair is so good- it has good disjoint around Link's sides and lower body from frame 6 to 27 that eats weak range attacks.

Keep your cool, look up the rules and legal stages and practice with them beforehand. Listen for the announcer, if you're late you'll be penalized a game then forfeit the match. Tourney staff are helpful if you're confused.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Good on you, Huggles! BRING YOUR RAEPFACE! Get it? The poke, and the actual raepface...never mind.

Expect almost everybody to be maining a high tier character. Expect half the tourney to be MK mains. Apart from that, follow Arizen's advice. He's a godsend.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
No don't believe in yourself. Believe in me that believes in you.

Yeah... couldn't help it.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
So.... you're saying I need some crazy sunglasses then?

Just who the hell do you think I am?!

Haha, thanks for all the encouragement guys. I'm not thinking it's gonna be a big tournament though, unfortunately, but any tournament I can manage sounds good to me.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
no, i said:
believes in yourself, and in your character, there one finds the real force that was helping you to prevail

edit: this isnt the Squirtle sunglases?
Ah, okay. Thanks, IYM!. Haha, I thought you were doing the Kamina joke too. My Spanish is really bad.

The glasses are from the anime Gurren Lagann.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Was checking out tourney rankings, heil Scabe!

Nice representing!

Also when did Deva and Legan both become active on AiB? Hehe.

/lurkmoar

EDIT: I should emerge from my lurking more often ._. This community is a sad remainder of a golden age of mine. I want it to shine. I'll try to check in weekly, pop in a xat chat, and maybe wifi.

Keep trucking guys.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Glad my reference was caught.

And also subsequently Ash's Squirtle's sunglasses from the anime.
That is kind funny now that you mention it. I guess they are just the glasses of ******ary. If thats a word. And if it isnt then it is now. Also i think someone needs to hack a pair of those glassed on to a Link texture.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Scabe has made that image immortal, lol.
Also when did Deva and Legan both become active on AiB? Hehe.
ALSM drew Legan out.

My wifi Link has really improved.
The Lv9 CPU Link on my wii now does ATs like jab canceling and OoS stuff. 'He' is very smart. Maybe a little too smart...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Scabe is making sure no one forgets it.

Cpu's learn for button inputs based on what receives what the game sees as positive inputs.

For example, if you suicide a lot. The CPU isn't going to do that because it sees that isn't getting a positive result.

Now doing UpB out of shield doing damage to the opponent, the CPU will recognize that this is a positive result and will start doing it.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well it's about time Red Ryu got modded. There were times where I tried hinting it, but it was weird since it took so long for you to get modded.

I wonder if it be possible to have you as a mod for here as well :p

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well it's a much bigger possibility at this point, if asked I would gladly help mod here as well, but I'll leave that to the digression of others if that is truly needed.

And thanks Huggles.

Also I'm thinking of making that pokemon kid scabe posts into a Link texture. I really think it's a sin for it not to be at this point.

Top Bottom