• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Not even my mod powers can take away this poll but at least I can still take over this thread! :devil:

Anyways, welcome to the general discussion thread where you can talk about anything!...(Well, almost anything) :urg:.

Keep it clean and stay on topic on what's been currently discussed! :bigthumbu

All praise your new lord:

It comes in emoticon size for you all to use.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?

Other boards recycle their general discussion threads after a while (for various reasons), and so I've decided to do the same here.

Let me tell you, it was dead close between the top two posters.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'd look to see who, but you recycled it. :mad:

Eh, and probably SuSa. Or me.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Oh shiz who to choose...:veryconfu Might as well go with Red Ryu.

I actually can't believe how much posts I had on this thread. :bee:

I also didn't know that when threads get moved to the rubbish bin that people lose their posts. Maybe that would explain this guy: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=9674

In my opinion it might have been good just to lock the old thread since creeps like me might want to go back and read it all. :freak:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
If I'm not mistaken no one can post in the rubbish bin.
EDIT: Oh, you meant go back and read it. Your avi is snickering at me for not reading your post right.
If you actually have access to it, feel free. Nostalgia is good once in a while.

And that post count is epic. Like, seriously. He must go straight for threads he knows will be moved to the rubbish bin eventually.

ndayday

BRoomer
His post count goes backwards, that's all.
Tis' a punishment for excessive spam.

MissionxStar

Smash Rookie
Hey Link Boards! My name is Starr. Som call me T!nk. While it is true that I main Toon Link, I've recently found an interest in Link and he is just amazing. I hope to improve with my Link as much as possible. I just thought I'd introduce myself....Hope I did it in the right place.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Link is good if you want to get good at brawl through sheer frustration because of playing such a failure of a character. So enjoy it!

ndayday

BRoomer
Ha, that's great then. Stay around for a while, we have a great community here.

Will we ever know who got the most posts, by the way? :mad:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I was going to wait one more day, buuut... :p

Red Ryu = 58
NDayDay = 57
Thunder of Zeus = 40
SuSa = 27
Anonano = 23

MissionxStar

Smash Rookie
It's nice to know that this is a nice community. I've read up on all the things that you can do with Link. Now I just need to find someone to fight. The rest of my Smash "Crew" is at a smashfest that I couldn't make it to. :ohwell: Oh well.

ndayday

BRoomer
Red Ryu = 58
NDayDay = 57
...Oh wow. Ryu is a flippin' ninja Mexican dog detective.

It's nice to know that this is a nice community. I've read up on all the things that you can do with Link. Now I just need to find someone to fight. The rest of my Smash "Crew" is at a smashfest that I couldn't make it to. :ohwell: Oh well.
Ah, that sucks. :/
You might be able to get some people to play with you here. If not though, you can always check out the New Members Fight Arena in the Meet and Greet boards.

Then again, you may have already been abducted.

MissionxStar

Smash Rookie
I could check that place out. I was kind of hoping for some Link dittos though. Those can wait though. I guess it's time to show the people in the New Members Fight Arena just exactly what Link can do?

EDIT: For some reason it won't display the page that is The New Members Fight Arena. My computer must suck?

ndayday

BRoomer
It works fine for me.

We can ditto if you're still on way later on tonight. I stay up until like 2AM, so if you're still on in like 2 hours then we should play. Can't atm since the TV is occupied.

I'll drop you a VM/PM if I see you're on around then.

MissionxStar

Smash Rookie
It works fine for me.

We can ditto if you're still on way later on tonight. I stay up until like 2AM, so if you're still on in like 2 hours then we should play. Can't atm since the TV is occupied.

I'll drop you a VM/PM if I see you're on around then.
That should be good, I'll be on in about two hours. I'll actually be on for as long as I can. Which should be a while. I'll keep trying that thread until then.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Just got back from a smashfest.

I was considering dropping modship and refocusing my life on school and work (and still am), but the smashfest was a lot of fun. All I know is that I'm a danger to enemies and my allies in Melee when I'm using Link. When all else fails, UpB spam ftw. I needed more SCRAAAW! in my life.

I'm surprised Red Ryu hasn't checked this thread yet, considering he thinks he has no life. Or has he not realized that yet because he hasn't seen that he posted the most? Only time will tell. ;)

Also, everybody deserves to know that Xivii has the cutest avi ever and that you should go post that on her VMs. http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=45554

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well It's official, have no life.

Time to write up a theory on the temples in Twilight Princess to pass the time.

Ano knows how to play Melee Link, lol.

ndayday

BRoomer
I was considering dropping modship and refocusing my life on school and work (and still am), but the smashfest was a lot of fun. All I know is that I'm a danger to enemies and my allies in Melee when I'm using Link. When all else fails, UpB spam ftw. I needed more SCRAAAW! in my life.
Whatever you do, it'll be alright.

Also, everybody deserves to know that Xivii has the cutest avi ever and that you should go post that on her VMs. http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=45554
Pretty sure Xivii was a guy, but ok. :embarrass

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I don't know if you guys already know this but I'll say it again just because I find this very useful.

If you use up your second jump it becomes alot easier to footstool opponents, all you have to do is keep mashing jump.

This makes bomb footstooling a whole lot easier. Examples of what I do: Bomb in hand, I double jump quickly so it looks like I'm doing one full hop, I throw the bomb down onto the opponent, and position myself so that I'm going to be above the opponent and then I just keep mashing jump and it should footstool. After that, you can choose to N-air the opponent into a jab lock, or if the opponent is in kill percentage you can D-air.

Try this bomb footstool in training mode, set the percentage to 999 and you can see easy it is to footstool.

Other setups are, Jump Z drop bomb, second jump above your opponent and tapping jump for footstool. I've tried footstooling after a grab and hitting them up in the air, it can work but it's very hard to predict where your opponent is and it's not as guaranteed you'll get a footstool as using a bomb.

Usually if the opponent sheilds the bomb you'll end up jumping off them way high into the sky. I still need to think of some mind games when I'm in this position, maybe come back down with an D-air dealing damage to their sheild. :ohwell:

Also, if your offstage and you have someone offstage with you, once you've used up your second jump, depending on where the opponent is, you can footstool them to gain some extra height and helping Link's recovery.

Note that I jump with X, I don't know how easy it is if you use the control stick to jump.

ndayday

BRoomer
Good stuff.

Usually if the opponent sheilds the bomb you'll end up jumping off them way high into the sky. I still need to think of some mind games when I'm in this position, maybe come back down with an D-air dealing damage to their sheild. :ohwell:
I don't think you have your second jump at this point, so it's kind of hard to put yourself in a good position with the whole jumping way up. I think dair would be a bad choice (I know you're just throwing stuff out there, but still), as even if they shielded you'd bounce off, and they could punish you. Maybe you can poke them out though if you hit them towards their back? If you want to be safe, I'd DI away from them and try to airdodge as I neared the ground. Still though, that'd leave you open upon landing, even if you held down shield since you still have to wait for Link to put his shield up. You probably wouldn't want to bomb pull, you'd end up falling half way before you had it. :/

Thinking out loud.

Also, if your offstage and you have someone offstage with you, once you've used up your second jump, depending on where the opponent is, you can footstool them to gain some extra height and helping Link's recovery.
Wouldn't work in most cases IMO, seeing as most characters have a far superior recovery/offstage game. :/ Even with Link v. Link, that'd be a scraaaaaaaaaw fest. If they're in free fall though, of course.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
So, I've done a large amount of testing recently on the dtilt spike.

I wanted to test the head/feet spike theory. So I sent the opponent into a tumble animation above the edge of the stage (there are multiple ways to do this pretty easily btw).
NO MATTER WHERE THE HIT OCCURED IN RELATION TO LINK'S HITBOX, if I hit the Head, the Feet, or the Head AND Feet of the opponent, they were spiked.
If I hit the Body, Body AND Head, or Body AND Feet, they were not spiked.

There is no "spike hitbox," the Dtilt spike works against opponents in the air only if it hits their Feet or Head, regardless of where in dtilt's hitbox it strikes the opponent.
but to be able to hit the body and another part, wouldnt their body have to be within the sword?[/QOUTE]

That's why I vouched to use the tumble animation. Through that you can get an opponent's back and head on about the same horizontal level, and then hit both with just the very edge of dtilt's hitbox (where we thought the spiking portion might be). Using both the bottom and the top edges of the hitbox, I failed to spike the opponent.

As to what the heck was going on with Link's body, I have no idea. It could be that if the opponent touches Link's body while he's dtilting, the opponent could get spiked. I only tested the sword against aerial opponents, not Link's body against aerial opponents.
So as far as I know about reverse dtilt spiking, it could still be legit.
Thought this might be interesting.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Good stuff.

I don't think you have your second jump at this point, so it's kind of hard to put yourself in a good position with the whole jumping way up. I think dair would be a bad choice (I know you're just throwing stuff out there, but still), as even if they shielded you'd bounce off, and they could punish you. Maybe you can poke them out though if you hit them towards their back? If you want to be safe, I'd DI away from them and try to airdodge as I neared the ground. Still though, that'd leave you open upon landing, even if you held down shield since you still have to wait for Link to put his shield up. You probably wouldn't want to bomb pull, you'd end up falling half way before you had it. :/

Thinking out loud.
In my experience I don't really get punished for it, usually the opponent holds their sheild until the bomb stops bouncing, so that's why I thought maybe a slow fall Down-air aimed at their sheild/away from the opponent might be good, because then you'll land with no lag. I'm also just thinking out loud and I'll have to test it out.

Some safe options in that position might be fast falled N-air, or pull out a bomb and Z drop and when you land just sheild, the bomb should create a wall between you and the opponent.

Wouldn't work in most cases IMO, seeing as most characters have a far superior recovery/offstage game. :/ Even with Link v. Link, that'd be a scraaaaaaaaaw fest. If they're in free fall though, of course.
Yeah, I just use it after my second jump is gone, because usually when I DI, I jump to cancel most of the knockback which usually puts me in a high position and if the opponent tries to come and gimp me, I can get that type of footstool jump where I just get the jump. It's happened to me quite a bit, I even do it in a team match and accidentally killed my partner. :embarrass

Anyways I've saved about 27 matches I had at a tourney I went to. I actually pull alot of these things I said in actual matches against tough opponents. They'll be up on YouTube soon but here's the link so you can put it on an SD card and watch it on your Wii.
http://rapidshare.com/files/304918458/Sc...s.rar.html

Also at this recent tourney I came like 13th out of 37 people using only Link. It's a proud moment for me.

@Ano: What exactly is the tumble animation? It sounds interesting, but pretty much most of it, I didn't understand a thing. :embarrass

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The tumble animation is when an opponent takes a hit and starts falling towards the ground, flipping head over heels as they fall. It looks like the opponent is tumbling through the air, hence its called the "tumble" animation.
The only reason I used that was because of a theory Link mains have had in the past about the dtilt spike. They thought that there were certain parts of the dtilt hitbox (where it actually strikes the opponent from) that spiked the opponent. I thought differently because no matter where I'd hit an opponent with dtilt, I spiked them if it were their head or feet that it hit, and it didn't if I hit anywhere else.

So all that was about was putting my theory to the test, and the first response I got was from Deva for clarification.http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?pid=1214382#p1214382
Apparently I needed more though. xD

EDIT: So just FYI, I've resigned as a moderator. I'm putting more focus into my real life, which has been neglected for an unfortunately long time. So this is probably one of my last posts here.
See you all later.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Anonano will forever be missed.

We the mexcian ninja dog detectives of the Link boards will solve the case to improve ourselves without your superior knowledge base on Link.

For everything you've done, thanks will never be enough.

ndayday

BRoomer
He already left Scabe. :( We're talking to the administration about what we should do now, so we'll get it figured out soon enough.

I learnt earlier this week that my Link is really bad against Marth. My problems mainly stem from being combo'd 20~30% at a time, and then being gimped. Give me your Marth secrets.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He already left Scabe. :( We're talking to the administration about what we should do now, so we'll get it figured out soon enough.

I learnt earlier this week that my Link is really bad against Marth. My problems mainly stem from being combo'd 20~30% at a time, and then being gimped. Give me your Marth secrets.
First off don't get grabbed at a low percent, Marth has some guaranteed tipped smashes on Link from some chain grabs.

Zair is a godsent for Link. Marth is about spacing correctly, this can not only hamper his spacing a bit but can keep Link a safe distance away while stopping some aerial approaches.

The best you can do to avoid being gimped it tossing some boomerangs or arrows to disrupt the distance he'll need for a good gimp. You have to be careful in this area since if you time it wrong you can fall too low to recover.

Good DI can solve some of the combo issues, but Link's weight makes this still an ikky thing.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom