• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Good job!
Link has no room for error, sometimes I'll spin attack to counter without thinking because it worked in melee. Bad idea. I used to miss ledge stall Fairs under pressure. Miss anything when recovering and "goodbye Link".

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I have this bad habit of using D-Air so much. I swear I got rid of it, but in the tourney matches I spammed it so much. :'(

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hylian Guard Dashing

I found a new AT!
Hylian Guard Dashing: Dash>Shield>release the control stick and shield button and Link will slide forwards while his Hylian shield blocks range attacks. The sliding has no (normal) shield pressure or knock back, and Link can start an attack as if he was standing:chuckle:. If the Hylian shield can block the attack the slide distance will not be changed regardless of how many hits or the attack's power. HGDashes can be chained together with good timing, leaving almost no range vulnerability: A great way to approach Falco/Pit etc on flat stages;).
HGDashing is more effective with a bunny hood or on slippery ice. Link slides farther. The only tourney stage this applies to is Pokemon stadium 2 in ice mode.
Replay link coming soon.

I have this bad habit of using D-Air so much. I swear I got rid of it, but in the tourney matches I spammed it so much. :'(
Sometimes I'll Dair when trying to Nair>fast fall.:urg:

Rizen

Smash Legend
How far does Link slide?
As far as shield dashing does. If timed right you can HGDash again because the shield drop lag happens as Link slides. Link has a few frames of range vulnerability as he starts to dash again. Chained together, he can HGDash 5-6 times to go the full length of Final Destination. The nice thing is he's constantly moving forwards, while blocking and without stopping lag. Be careful not to roll by tapping the control stick with shield.
It works when 'jogging' too. Jog>shield>immediately let go of button and stick inputs and Link will slide a very short with his H shield blocking range.
Because Link immediately is considered 'standing' he won't drop his guard until well after the sliding stops. If any part of the Hshield touches range it will be blocked; a moving, standing H shield therefore has better potential to guard vs bouncy Pika's thunder jolts and Samus' seeking missiles, etc.
On ice he slides 2-3 times as far.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
How far does Link slide?
Far. Like a banana on a soapy floor. Generally, it depends on which AT you use to slide, DAC will probably take you the farthest. That's like a quarter (?) of FD. It all depends. He's the best slider in the game :)

Edit: My bad, I thought you were talking about in general. lol MES, your discovery sounds interesting and should get cool to look into.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Any good setups into link's pivot grab?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
There's Down Throw to Pivot grab.

Jab, run other side and Pivot grab. It catches them off guard and it's good for those who spot dodge your jab.

It's also good for punishing landing lag. And it's good to use for those who are dashing towards you with an attack. You run far enough that their attack misses then do a Pivot grab.

His Pivot isn't anything special though, it comes out slower than his standing grab. Standing grab is 11 frames while Pivot comes out in 14. Also the range is the same. I read that the hurtbox comes out quicker but I doubt it. Sorry I couldn't really think of many setups for Pivot grabs. :urg:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Here's the results of the tourney I went to:

-This Is It
-Place 5th out of like 28
-Sydney, Australia
-31st January 2010
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185358&page=249
1: tedeth (Wario, Wolf)
2: Earla (Meta Knight)
3: Shaya (Marth)
4: luke_atyeo (Snake)
5: Scabe (Link)
5: Meteor (Sonic)
7: Silfa (Donkey Kong)
7: S.D (Diddy Kong)
9: Zero (Zero Suit Samus)
9: Nova (SheikZelda, Snake)
9: SummonerAU (Kirby)
9: Bjay (Wario)
13: Gords (Toon Link)
13: FTS (Donkey Kong)
13: Nicks (Wario)
13: gopobox_s2 (Falco)

-Doubles =
Hyrule Kings Of Swing, Scabe(Link) + Silfa (Donkey Kong)
-This Is It
-Place 4th out of 12 teams
-Sydney Australia
-31st January 2010
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185358&page=249

1: Team Mustard of Secrecy (Earla + Nicks)
2: Elysium (tedeth + luke_atyeo)
3: Tripping Tipper Balls (Shaya + S.D)
4: Hyrule Kings of Swing (Scabe + Silfa)
5: Stale Moves (Nanda + Stray_)
5: Skilled Beauty (Meteor + Zero_)
7: kings (dekar289 + Nova)
7: Immortals of Intensity (FTS + Zxv)
9: Eastern Sexiness (Melancholy_Aus + SummonerAU)
9: Toon Titans (Gords + Fox Is Openly Deceptive)
9: Trouble of the Destined Sons (Turtle + Isorropia)
9: HUGGLES (e_alert + LeishaChu)

Videos will be up one day when I get my Wii back. I did alot of stupid **** in the matches. So I'm pretty dissapointed in myself for that. :mad088:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well I think it was because he was raging at the game due to stuff like missing the ledge. Well he gave me that reason when we WiFi'd one time. I really don't know. :confused:

It's an odd story that I don't know much about.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Nah, that would be Lucario cosplay.

/lame joke

Rizen

Smash Legend
I think someone said that in one of the chick link pics drifting around she's not a chick. 'Can't remember which pic.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
P1 just suggested we try an AT that NinjaLink found that *may* make D3 and Falco's CGs much more difficult to pull off, so I'm looking into that right now. I'll post the results.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
SO:
Hold a bomb while getting CGed.
Before Falco, D3, or Pika can regrab you, hold shield and start spamming A like crazy.
You'll drop a bomb that will knock both of you away from each other.
It's brilliant.

However, the ATs uses are, well, limited. The timing is very strict and Falco can still walk CG you (meaning he'll only get 30% instead of 40%, plus you'll probably hurt yourself on your own bomb after he's done with you, setting him up for ANOTHER attack while you're still in hitstun :/)

It's nice to know that we CAN get out of the CG at *some* point, however.

thefonz21

Smash Rookie
Link is good if you want to get good at brawl through sheer frustration because of playing such a failure of a character. So enjoy it!

I disagree, it's true, the creators, did make him a failure of a character, but some people actually use that to their advantage in some situations, link is a DECENT character in my opinion, I have came across some pretty good links, watch these videos and tell me if link is a fail of character now.

youtube.com/izaw91

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
I disagree, it's true, the creators, did make him a failure of a character, but some people actually use that to their advantage in some situations, link is a DECENT character in my opinion, I have came across some pretty good links, watch these videos and tell me if link is a fail of character now.

youtube.com/izaw91
I watched.
He is still a fail of a character.
And Izaw is a failure of a Link player.

DeTa

Smash Apprentice

youtube.com/izaw91

you DO realize you're talking about one of the most overrated Link mains, right?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I still think Izaw is an amazing player and he's probably the biggest inspiration to alot of Links. :) I remember learning alot from watching "The Art Of Link" and being amazed at his combo vids.

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
I still think Izaw is an amazing player and he's probably the biggest inspiration to alot of Links. :) I remember learning alot from watching "The Art Of Link" and being amazed at his combo vids.
True... he was one of the first Links I was amazed with

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Scabe, be my Valentine.

I mean it.
Nah, not really.

Top Bottom