• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

IYM!

Smash Lord
IMO means in my opinion.

Being pranked is neutral. There's no benefit (unless you like a pink name) and there's no drawback (unless you hate a pink name).
:urg: very much abbreviations, IMO that is very anoyning some times, specialy when i read post, that make more dificult traslate your post

Sarcasm on the Internet never goes well. It's bad.
this is true, also, sarcasm need facial expreciones, and you can not show your face here, well exept if you upload a video here LoL

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Hey, guys, is Link a decent counter to any character? Like the Ice Climbers are a good counter to...Ganondorf...
Well, he has an Advantage over Ganondorf, but i don't think it's enough to be called a Soft Counter :/
Meh...

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hey, guys, is Link a decent counter to any character? Like the Ice Climbers are a good counter to...Ganondorf...
Nope. Link does fairly well considering how bad he is against Snake, the Ice Climbers, Wario, and Marth though. Link has no advantageous matchups outside of Ganon, although a couple are about even.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, let me rephrase. Considering how bad of a character Link is compared to how excellent a character Snake is, Link does fairly well against Snake, etc. The "how bad he is" was in reference to Link in general, not the particular matchup. Grammar fail, ha.

IYM!

Smash Lord
aaaaa, now i understand,

well, i have an opinion about the match up thread

i have read that trhead when i look the date when the topic was created, that threat have more than a year, so Would it be appropriate to update the threat?

i say this because, in a year, the eyes with we look Smash can change, and the players discovers anothers forms to play.and learns new AT

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yepyep, we're gonna redo a lot of the matchups after we finish up who's left because a lot of them are old and outdated or even just flat out wrong. And some matchups are kinda unclear too. I think Wolf's matchup might be a little inaccurate, for example, so a lot of them need to be updated. I'm lazy, what can I say, haha.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
It's quite amazing how active these boards are. Still better than talking about doing something, do it :p
*stares at Scabe*
To be truthfully honest I only posted here due to my love of Scabe. Plus I was playing Link today in friendlies and was curious

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Probably due to Sakurai's love for all things feminem looking.
That or the creators were drunk when they made fair and everyone of MK's moves....

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Love all around! Whee, I'M GOING TO GET DRUNK ON LOOOOVEEEEEEE FOR EEVERRYYYBODDDYYYYYYY!!!

Turns out, when the mute elves open their mouths, really weird stuff comes out. Hee hee?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
well i had some extra time again between the SC2 games. So i wrote up:

Kokiri Link: The Discipline of Earth
Intro:
Earth is strong and sturdy so Kokiri Link is the same. To the Kokiri Link, battle is all about being protected. To act with the might of Earth and put up a strong defense. The Discipline of Earth's main goal is to out last his opponent and smash him with a powerful tremor.

Basics of Battle:
As a Discipline of Earth. The basics of the battle is to always be on the defensive. To him the best offense is a good defense. Kokiri Link chases no one, he will do everything in his power to make his opponent come to him. His most favored position in a battle is long range and for the most part will be grounded.

Kokiri Link will never choose to really be on offense unless he is going for the kill. However, he usually does choose to spam pretty much everything in his arsenal to prevent damage to himself. When an opponent closes in on Kokiri Link, he will do whatever he can to knock them away so he can go back to his spam.

On defense, well he is pretty much the same here. He will spam to make it harder to approach him. The Discipline of Earth is one who likes staying in one place if it is possible. Making use of shielding to its fullest, perfect shielding, and only spot dodging or rolling when he needs to. This makes shield grabbing very important to this Link.

Advance Tactics of Battle:
Staying alive is the key to The Discipline of Earth's success. With Link naturally being heavy and hard to kill, Kokiri Link will need to live even longer. He will need to know the in's and out's of good DI and momentum canceling. It is also important for him to be good at teching walls and the ground to increase his lifespan and to help prevent combos on him. A special advance technique he will also be seen doing is the whiplash recovery to even further prolong his life against strong horizontal knock back. He never wants to be caught in the air by an opponent, as he is away from natural state of being grounded, so Kokiri Link avoids using his second jump if he doesn't have to, incase he does get knocked off stage he has a better chance of survival.

However, winning a battle only on defense is never possible. He has to eventually attack and kill his opponent to win. The Discipline of Earth must know all of his projectiles, what they can do, how they can be combined, and what advance techniques he can do with them. He may rely heavily on bomb sliding to move further away and arrow canceling to slow the approach of his opponent. As for melee strikes, he will use the most powerful moves in his arsenal that include, all his smashes. He wants to do the most damage and knock back he can in a single strike to avoid being countered. The earth shall tremble underneath his opponents feet before it opens up beneath them and swallows them whole.

Ive never actually played defensive on purpose so this was actually rather helpful to myself just writing it. Also anyone have any idea where i should place all of these perm. The Chain doesnt seem like the proper place.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Cool read :)

I've been working alot on reading. I think it's something most Link players will lack because we're all so focused on learning his AT's.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
lol im too lazy to work on learning ATs. Reading people is just soo much easier to do and takes alot less effort in the whole button pressing thing.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Even though he has like a bazillion AT's, only some are sorta useful. Some useful ones I like are: Zair while holding a bomb, Jab Lock,

That's all I can really think of that's really useful.

Other's that are good are: The occasional Boost Usmash, Dair Auto Cancelling, ZAC (Z-Aerial Catch), Bomb Footstool Nair Lock (I hardly ever pull this off these days), Bomb Smashing. I think I need to Bomb Smash and do more ZAC's since I think they're a pretty good mix-ups.

Ever since I saw Lucien's tutorials on Spacing and Reading, it has helped my game so much. I now understand alot more about the game then I ever did.

I've gone on a quest to get better, I've started learning other characters mostly Pikachu since I think Pikachu is one of Link's best secondaries. Reading threads in tactical. Working on things that I need work on like Powershielding, Teching. I actually haven't worked much on them, just been working more on Spacing and Reading, but Powershielding and Teching is the next thing I'll work on.

I've watched lots of vids and tried to analyse them. I've watched my recent vids and I can see that I'm just throwing moves out there, and I play really dumb.

After all this I'll help you guys as well and hopefully I can put you on the same path that I'm on. I just need a bit more time to see if I'm on the right path.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ever since I saw Lucien's tutorials on Spacing and Reading, it has helped my game so much. I now understand alot more about the game then I ever did.
Reading is one of the things I've been trying to work on a lot. I could definitely use some work on spacing too. This is exactly the kinda stuff I think I need to be working on. Tell me if it works for sure, Scabe.

I could also finally just pick a freaking secondary for sure though, haha, that'd help too I bet. It's still unofficially Wolf at the moment.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah when I was researching for good secondaries for Link and ZSS was on the list for some reason. There was also Ice Climbers, MK, Snake, Falco, IC, Marth, Wario, Pikachu. I'm just working on putting all the ratios together to see who the best secondaries for Link. All high tiers lol.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Actually, I find Ike to be pretty decent. It's like a slightly slower Link with no projectiles, heavier hitting attacks, and a horizontal recovery. Ever KO'd a Marth at 40% with a SH B-air? It's fun. D-tilt, D-air and Aether spike.

ICs are hard to control with the Wiimote, for the simple reason buffering in attacks on a D-pad gets confusing for the CPU to understand. You think you buffered F-tilt, it thinks you buffered U-air. MK? Seriously? MK is a good alt for any character. Heck, an MK can alt MK for epicwinftw. Wario I swear I tried to get so many times but I fail at using him more than I fail at using ICs. I can't blame Sakurai for this one :chuckle:.

Edit: I just noticed you post in yellow. Haha...

Scabe

Successful Businessman
These are just characters that do well against Link's really bad matchups.

I use to post in yellow but now I post in gold. Looks so much better :love:

I'm wondering if I should stop posting in bold...

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Jeebus, i almost beat a Pit today (got edge-hogged last stock lol)

Anybody find this MU hard? I cant even take Pits nowadays, i normally get shieldgrabbed > Thrown offstage > Arrow gimped > GGs.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Anybody find this MU hard? I cant even take Pits nowadays, i normally get shieldgrabbed > Thrown offstage > Arrow gimped > GGs.
The most annoying thing about Pit is his arrow flexibility. Against other normal projectiles, just stand still and suffer tiny knockback. With Pika, duck. With Pit, the Hylian Shield is crap. You need to manually shield. And that gimps don't work on him (frickin' WoI). And he can reflect arrows and 'rang back at you with the right timing ("Nice try!").

I hate Marth. Dancing blade is ****. Cool looking, awesome functioning, ****.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
The big problem with Pit in my opinion is that by having a reflector he pretty much automatically outcamps you (although he would anyway with his arrows, haha) so that you have to approach, which Link sucks at. Pit is usually ungimpable, unless he gets dumb. If you hit him out of WoI he can't use it again (I think he can still use any jumps/glide he might have left though; what do you know, Ryos, haha?). Personally I hate Olimar. I don't understand how he works as a character at all, it's so annoying. I don't know what to do against him. Fox is also pretty tough for me; I prefer to fight Falco over Fox, honestly.

If you're gonna play Link, you learn pretty quick how to make the most out of what little you have in terms of offstage game and recovery. Well, and DI, since that's kinda a huge part of Link's recovery.

I've been considering picking up Peach as my actual secondary since I think I'm pretty decent as her anyway and she does okay against a lot of Link's bad matchups. Plus, that way I'm not using a top tier character, haha (although Diddy is a lot of fun to play as). I like Wolf but I get worried about auto-losing to a Dedede if he and Link are the only two characters I play.

tl;dr: Pit's tough but I hate Olimar and Fox more, Link's recovery is bad so you have to make the most of it, I wanna try seconding Peach.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Never found Fox too hard, i actually combo him pretty easy due to his weight, Olimar is pretty much Grab, Fair, and Usmash, so he's a bit annoying to fight as well...
I don't really have a secondary, Link, Falcon, and Samus i consider to be all mains for me.

DI for me isn't an issue, plus i'm getting back into wifi, which makes SDI'ing moves a breeze.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
If you're gonna play Link, you learn pretty quick how to make the most out of what little you have in terms of offstage game and recovery. Well, and DI, since that's kinda a huge part of Link's recovery.
I don't know where I saw it, but I always tether recover. Even if I'm close enough to just DI slightly and grab the ledge, I'll Z-air and tether recover. The tether is useful when I'm far enough to not autosweetspot and close enough that the Spin Attack will execute less than halfway, but I always tether.

I guess ledgehogging would be my biggest problem. Apart from that, any other reason I shouldn't do it?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
@Quirky: God i love that name, looool

Anyways, as long as you're not getting too predectible, and know how many times you've tether grabbed while offstage(3 being the limit), you're fine IMO.
Just take SA into account as well if you're looking to stall the game, but watch out as smart players plan you out and can stage spike you.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Just before i hit the bed for school tomorrow...
*smh*
Oh well, i hope it's active tomorrow as well...

Top Bottom