• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Finally I'm back after a day and a half without internet. My internet at home died, and it took ages for it to get fixed. ;_;

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I miss all the activity we don't normally have.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah activity is pretty low. Well my internet is back so I'll try and spruce this place up a bit more.

And what is this idea with the roleplaying board lol?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well to put it simply - trying to seriously roleplay in Forum / Decisive Games is hard because of all the clutter and nonsense, not the mention people who won't take it seriously and spam. So we're gathering people who want a roleplaying board, and we have a proposal written up. Check the proposal in the group to see what we mean.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
OMG, KotOR is the best RPG game EVER. EVERRRR. KotOR 2 is just plain stupid.

Fable is nice-ish. Zelda is awesome. You play as :link:.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Lol i find role playing is much different from an RPG. RPGs are actually games while role playing is just a bunch of writing, reading, or talking. Ive tried an RP forum once, that was based on the Book "the Sight." Overall it can be a good way to kill time or get out those creative urges. But it heavily relies on other people which if the world has taught me anything. Other people suck. lol.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I take it you guys never played DnD on paper?

Agreed, it takes LONG, but I find that's the fun part. You just leave it be and when you come back (about 10 days later), it's still there!! Best part: no save game file needed.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Someone was going to try and make me play that. Idk if i would have the attention span for it though. I would probably pull out my DS as we RP. Though the random crap you can come up with during non serious parts can be often comical with the right bunch. Though that game really requires a good DM or its gonna suck and be confusing.

Also i dont think i could remember what happened 10 days ago and keep track of stuff i have and what i used. Atleast save game files keep track of pretty much everything. Yay laziness.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, I've played DnD before. I was just the big dumb fighter, so there was no strategy involved, leaving me free to be the wise-cracking fool who took hits to the face. Although my dice were apparently cursed/blessed; I swear, the only thing I ever rolled on the D20 was 1,2,19, and 20. I would make better Knowledge checks than the Wizard and would miss coup de grace'ing a sleeping something or other on the ground, haha.

I was playing Brawl last night with my brother, and it was kinda funny. I won both times against his Fox, but couldn't get a read on his Jigglypuff; I would think he'd pull a retreating bair so I'd try to respace and he actually approached and followed up; I'd predict he'd do an approaching bair and he actually retreated and would hit me again after I counterattacked at nothing, haha. I was totally happy about a point blank whiplash at like 100% when he was Fox though, haha; I did a fair off the edge, he shielded and dsmashed me after the second slash, and I just figured I'd give it a shot since I was dead any other way, and sure enough, it worked. Haha, after I did that, he paused, looked at me, and said "Are you SURE Link is bottom tier?"

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I started playing the game. So far I haven't hunted any monsters and just talked to the villagers.
It's just awesome fun. It's too bad we won't be able to play online together because the servers for US are different than the servers for Australia. :'(

It's the one place I'd have dominated the battlefield and not you, Scabe. :chuckle:

I swear, the only thing I ever rolled on the D20 was 1,2,19, and 20.

point blank whiplash
LOL wtfhax. My uncle, who was a die-hard of DnD played so well I was absolutely sure he had the dice rigged, even when we replaced them because I kept taking hits and he'd walk away with a perfect check.

What the heck is a 'whiplash'?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I just had the craziest idea. What if a Fox and Link team actually used that exact example in a double battle to go for a speedy edge hog? You could possibly even get a dead weight gimp to Zair edge hog. That would probably be so epic that the other team would just have to automatically just tap out.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I just had the craziest idea. What if a Fox and Link team actually used that exact example in a double battle to go for a speedy edge hog? You could possibly even get a dead weight gimp to Zair edge hog. That would probably be so epic that the other team would just have to automatically just tap out.
Dude, that is actually a pretty good idea!! I'd love to see that!:)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've seen that done before at an offline doubles tourney, it was insane, but the opponent was Ganondorf, so it wasn't all too unusual. Speaking of Ganondorf, I always play with a really good Ganondorf, and i can't ever seem to find a decent way to play defensive when it comes to Ganon >_<

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
Hey i have an idea abouts teams, i want share it with you, i dont want say that in the team threat to dont cut the organisation in that threat, well this is my idea:

time ago i was watching the tier list and i thought "Maybe the teams could be organizated by his tier position in the list, thus have balanced teams"

for example
Who is the top tier character? metaknight Who is the bottom tier character? ganondorf

Metaknight and ganondorf team

Who is the second best character? Snake Who is (sadly) the second worst? Link

Snake and Link team

Do you understand my idea

maybe that could work, so give you opinions

quirkynature

Smash Ace
and i can't ever seem to find a decent way to play defensive when it comes to Ganon >_<
Ganon is much better than people give him credit for. Sure, comboing is difficult because of the insane knockback on most of his moves but, without DI, he can easily kill you at about 40% with a well placed F-air or even a B-air. Thankfully, I'm a defensive Link so I'll be obnoxious and pompous starting now:

Playing defensively, with Ganon, I think, isn't about spacing properly. It's about spacing too much. His hitboxes aren't big. So, spam your projectiles. Approaching and retreating Z-air is good, too.

Be careful while recovering from offstage because his N-air has good knockback and isn't that long so recovery for Ganon is easy. Go easy on grabs because a missed grab truly equals epic punishment. I'd rather miss a grab against MK than Ganon at ANY percent. Maybe because I haven't played against a decent MK.

You can't shield his attacks too much because of the damage they do to your shield. Two or three attacks and it'll break. Shieldgrab>D-throw>chaingrab>D-throw>run away>pivot grab>whatever throw>whatever you want (mouthful, innit?) works as a good surprise defensive tactic (Scabe's move, although I assimilated it into my moveset, so thanks, Scabe!).

Apart from that, try just hunkering down and waiting. Defensive is all about just waiting for the other person to make a mistake and punishing it. Usually in increments. Just for kicks, follow it up with a 'rang. If he approaches with aerials, angle your 'rang. If he just approaches, bomb him. And then 'rang him.

Hope I helped!

Edit:
maybe that could work, so give you opinions
A balanced team is just that: balanced. In the competitive scene, it poses no advantage except to pick on the lower tiered character.

To take your example, MK+Ganon, most people don't even want to consider teaming with a low tiered character because, well, let's face it, you could just partner up with a high tiered character and not have to worry so much about them.

To be quite honest, I'd prefer teaming with a Snake than a fellow Link primarily because I could concentrate on my gameplay rather than have to worry about babysitting the other Link. Unless I have Huggles, Scabe, Ryos, Deva, Izaw, KirinBlaze or Legan to team with. In that case, I'm sitting back and letting the fight happen. :chuckle:

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
i know that, a mk mainer will not want make team with ganondorf, but maybe that can be a rule of team tournaments to make all teams balance, Mk is too powerfull, priority, speed, DI, Momentum cancel, strenght, none lag, perfect recovery and ganondorf lacks of these options.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Naah, there'd be too much backlash. Besides, if they make equal teams a requirement, they might as well start banning moves just for the sake of it. The principle remains the same.

Edit: Although if they did, Link would instantly become 2nd bess. And MK would suck ***. Link's Hylian ***.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm trying to get motivated and spend less time killing time online:urg:, sorry I can't join the role-playing.
Rizen, you still play MH3? If so, ever play it online?
I beat it. I want to play online because that's the only way to fight really big monsters but haven't yet. Did you hunt the white tiger thing yet? That thing is unreal!
I was playing Brawl last night with my brother, and it was kinda funny. I won both times against his Fox, but couldn't get a read on his Jigglypuff; I would think he'd pull a retreating bair so I'd try to respace and he actually approached and followed up; I'd predict he'd do an approaching bair and he actually retreated and would hit me again after I counterattacked at nothing, haha. I was totally happy about a point blank whiplash at like 100% when he was Fox though, haha; I did a fair off the edge, he shielded and dsmashed me after the second slash, and I just figured I'd give it a shot since I was dead any other way, and sure enough, it worked. Haha, after I did that, he paused, looked at me, and said "Are you SURE Link is bottom tier?"
I need to integrate whiplash into my game. Jab cancels too, I can't time them right. Fox is in the 'little fuzzy things that run circles around Link' tier:dizzy:.
I've seen that done before at an offline doubles tourney, it was insane, but the opponent was Ganondorf, so it wasn't all too unusual. Speaking of Ganondorf, I always play with a really good Ganondorf, and i can't ever seem to find a decent way to play defensive when it comes to Ganon >_<
Ganon's Uair is super good. Link has a small advantage over Ganon but I can see fast characters being a pain for him. Zair's Link's best friend. Keep spacing with SH projectiles/Zair and a slow retreat, then you have to reclaim space which is hard. I guess use bombs and airdodges to try and sneak past him:ohwell:. The good Ganons I've played were great at the ForwardB > teck chase game. They'd carefully approach and limit my retreat with shielding and safe attacks (mainly Dash attack and SH air attacks) then forwardB and keep punishing my reactions for several more moves. I lost to a Ganon in a tourney who placed 5th of 25+ entries. He mains MK now:(.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I beat it. I want to play online because that's the only way to fight really big monsters but haven't yet. Did you hunt the white tiger thing yet? That thing is unreal!

I lost to a Ganon in a tourney who placed 5th of 25+ entries. He mains MK now:(.
The Barioth?! I have nightmares about facing that thing. I'll PM my username and ID tomorrow so you can join me if you want. There's 2 monsters unique to online play--they're both massive ****, but you'll be a while before you get there. Also, try getting these armors if you can (it'll save you a lot of grinding later on): Agknaktor, Barioth, Ceadus and Rathian. Agnaktor to negate lava damage in volcano, Barioth to negate stamina negation in Tundra, Ceadus because the Sharpness +1 helps out and the Rathian because of the health upgrade.

If that guy can place 5 out of 25 as a Ganon, why the eff would he switch to MK?! Work on that Ganon, if you're that deep in already!! Although, I can see the beauty (and the fastest ever tier rise--bottom to top literally).

Edit: To all who can do the ledgehop F-air, how do you do it? Tilt back and jam the control stick diagonally up and THEN input "A" or use the C-stick? Or jump and input the command? Could you please be as specific about your button usage as possible?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Bah, I come back from working a full shift at my new temporary job/nerding out on Starcraft 2 for several hours, and I've already fallen behind, haha!

When I ledgehop fair, I press down, then jump and use Cstick forward and control stick forward at the same time (I use Y and a separate finger to jump so my thumb is free to use the Cstick)
Huggles, Scabe, Ryos, Deva, Izaw, KirinBlaze or Legan
Haha, I dunno if I deserve to be on this list of people, haha, but thanks Quirky.
and i can't ever seem to find a decent way to play defensive when it comes to Ganon >_<
Ganon really does suck, and I honestly think he's bad enough to deserve his own "fail" tier (much like MK has his own tier). But that doesn't mean he doesn't have his day in the sun. Not much is scarier than a Ganon on a roll. If you underestimate him or don't play smart you're gonna get it. It's just that if you play smart he should never even get a chance to do much to you.
Fox is in the 'little fuzzy things that run circles around Link' tier
Fox normally gives me a lot of trouble and my brother usually knows how I play and does quite well against me, but I think he just hadn't played me in a while. It just confuses me that he was able to beat me up as Jigglypuff immediately afterwards though, haha. But yeah, I don't like fighting Fox. He's hard to do well against and requires a ton of thinking and concentration.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The Barioth?! I have nightmares about facing that thing. I'll PM my username and ID tomorrow so you can join me if you want. There's 2 monsters unique to online play--they're both massive ****, but you'll be a while before you get there. Also, try getting these armors if you can (it'll save you a lot of grinding later on): Agknaktor, Barioth, Ceadus and Rathian. Agnaktor to negate lava damage in volcano, Barioth to negate stamina negation in Tundra, Ceadus because the Sharpness +1 helps out and the Rathian because of the health upgrade.

If that guy can place 5 out of 25 as a Ganon, why the eff would he switch to MK?! Work on that Ganon, if you're that deep in already!! Although, I can see the beauty (and the fastest ever tier rise--bottom to top literally).

Edit: To all who can do the ledgehop F-air, how do you do it? Tilt back and jam the control stick diagonally up and THEN input "A" or use the C-stick? Or jump and input the command? Could you please be as specific about your button usage as possible?
In MH I have a hammer with 700-something attack and 3 slots all with a quick-charge accessory. It's sweet to run up and Pound monster's faces. Online sounds fun; can I keep my equipment and weapon?

Even for an awesome player Ganon sucks. (Link too:urg:)

Ledgehop is called ledgestall as in ledgestall Fair. Practice this in training because it takes time to learn. Hanging on a ledge: (gamecube controller) This MUST be done in order and as fast as possible. tap the controlstick away from the ledge or down (away's easier for me)>tap towards the stage and jump> keep holding towards the stage and press attack. A good ledgestall Fair will make both cuts before landing. There are several ledgestall variations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFtLhE72GQ

quirkynature

Smash Ace
In MH I have a hammer with 700-something attack and 3 slots all with a quick-charge accessory. It's sweet to run up and Pound monster's faces. Online sounds fun; can I keep my equipment and weapon?

Ledgehop is called ledgestall as in ledgestall Fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFtLhE72GQ
You don't need the quick charge accessory unless you're using a Switch Axe or Longsword. That accessory is used for charging special gauges available only to those two weapons. You do keep your offline weapon and armor for online.

Whenever I do my ledgestall F-air, I end up on the stage just as the animation starts. It's a lot harder to do on the Wiimote. The closest I've gotten is doing the first slash and then landing on the stage.

Edit: I noticed you, too, use tether to cling to the ledges! Yay!!

Edit 2: I can do the F-air in the air and then up-b to recover but I still can't leap onto the stage while F-airing. :'(

Scabe

Successful Businessman
It was amazing, there were Japanese players there, and the finals was DEHF vs Brood who is a Japanese Olimar who beat M2K, which was the most amazing set full of so much hype.

Top Bottom