• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
how did the japanese pits do? i heard that atleast 1 was coming. Earth or something.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You don't need the quick charge accessory unless you're using a Switch Axe or Longsword. That accessory is used for charging special gauges available only to those two weapons. You do keep your offline weapon and armor for online.

Whenever I do my ledgestall F-air, I end up on the stage just as the animation starts. It's a lot harder to do on the Wiimote. The closest I've gotten is doing the first slash and then landing on the stage.

Edit: I noticed you, too, use tether to cling to the ledges! Yay!!

Edit 2: I can do the F-air in the air and then up-b to recover but I still can't leap onto the stage while F-airing. :'(
Quick charge doesn't do anything for hammers:crazy:?! I'm wasting slots. I don't have an online name or file yet. If you want we can send messages here to organize hunts.

---------------

Speaking of online, MY WIFI EDGE GAME SUCKS! I CAN'T TIME IT RIGHT AND SD A LOT:cry:. I need to just practice DIing moves and edge options online without the pressure of fighting someone.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I am baffled. Why is it soo much easier to land a jab lock with mario then link? I did a jab lock on accident with Mario today Fair>jab lock>Fsmash. And yet everytime i try with Link i screw up the timing...

WHYYYYYY......

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I don't have an online name or file yet.

MY WIFI EDGE GAME SUCKS!
That doesn't matter. Instead of selecting to go to the village, just select the city. Your name is the one you've been using all along and the ID will be assigned to you. As for the hammer, yeah, it's a waste of slots. I'd say use something along the lines of Expert (which increases affinity). Hammer users are really wanted online, so you're good.

Do you want to just practice DIing and edge options today? I'm fine with anything. As long as we fight properly at least once. Let me know.

Edit: @Ryos, wtf? Mario has a jab lock? Does EVERY character have a jab lock?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Edit 2: I can do the F-air in the air and then up-b to recover but I still can't leap onto the stage while F-airing. :'(
What controller are you using? With GC controller, I always press back, away from the ledge, then quickly press X and A at the same time to hop the ledge and score both hits. I'm pretty sure Legan does the same thing, but it's pretty risky; If you slip up, you hit A before X, and you fall with a Fair, unable to recover (Unless you're on some heck of a banned stage, IMO, Temple)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
That doesn't matter. Instead of selecting to go to the village, just select the city. Your name is the one you've been using all along and the ID will be assigned to you. As for the hammer, yeah, it's a waste of slots. I'd say use something along the lines of Expert (which increases affinity). Hammer users are really wanted online, so you're good.

Do you want to just practice DIing and edge options today? I'm fine with anything. As long as we fight properly at least once. Let me know.

Edit: @Ryos, wtf? Mario has a jab lock? Does EVERY character have a jab lock?
Off the top of my head i can think of...
Mario Jab
Link Jab
Kirby Jab
ZSS LowFtilt
Ness Jab, Dtilt (I think)
Lucas Dtilt
Squirtle Jab, Ftilt (I think)

I think there are maybe a few more, but i cant remember atm.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
ZSS LowFtilt
Ness Jab
Lucas Dtilt
Squirtle Jab
ZSS I didn't know about.

Ness and Lucas' D-tilts do lock, although the animation for Ness usually cracks me up.

Squirtle is scary. He's low built, has low knockback on attacks so they combo and I can't hit him. Squirtle is scary.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So I've been using Dtilt a bit more, I kinda like that move now.

I'm starting to wonder how they designed Link, and what each move does. I think Link is a character who is slow at racking up damage but with an amazing spacing game which can make it hard to hit Link. He's got solid kill moves. He's hard to kill and hard to land kill moves. He's not a good juggler. I dunno I'll think of more.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I find Link decent at DPS, not the best. But with his projectiles he has potential.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Whenever I play Ike, as soon as I offstage my opponent, I crouch by the edge and wait to D-tilt spike them.

I started doing the same for Link. Sometimes you launch them further into the air and 13% damage. Sometimes you get lucky and spike them. Either way, it works. And I found a use for the D-tilt, so I'm happy. Actually, credit goes to Fox and the Sages thread for the Z-air to D-tilt spike workup. It's where I got my 'inspiration' from.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Actually, credit goes to Fox and the Sages thread for the Z-air to D-tilt spike workup. It's where I got my 'inspiration' from.
I only use Zair > Dtilt for a Jab Lock setup. I never really found use for it anywhere else since you don't benefit from the spike at low damages since the clawshot only sets up for immediate Dtilt at low %'s. If you kill with that combo, your opponent's recovery is complete garbage.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

I'm starting to wonder how they designed Link, and what each move does. I think Link is a character who is slow at racking up damage but with an amazing spacing game which can make it hard to hit Link. He's got solid kill moves. He's hard to kill and hard to land kill moves. He's not a good juggler. I dunno I'll think of more.
I'm trying to figure out why they thought he needed nerfs from Melee. :/

Rizen

Smash Legend

I Dtilt from jab combos to mix things up and keep Dsmash fresh.
Link is all about spacing. The problem is once an opponent disrupts Link's spacing Link is in trouble. Shielding and Link's lag make Link unable to maintain spacing, then he can't regain it well enough with bad OoS, bad grab, bad air movement, fast falling, and lag, so he takes major pain, and to top it off his recovery distance is terrible.
Link's a completely spacing oriented character who can't space opponents: This is why he's bad.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I only use Zair > Dtilt for a Jab Lock setup. I never really found use for it anywhere else since you don't benefit from the spike at low damages since the clawshot only sets up for immediate Dtilt at low %'s. If you kill with that combo, your opponent's recovery is complete garbage.
I don't use the Z-air to D-tilt spike combo. In fact, I can't even do it right. I only got the inspiration to start using D-tilt as an edgeguarding move because:

1) it finally has a decent use
2) it can occasionally (for me) spike
3) if it doesn't spike, the knockback at low percents can combo into an F-air and at high percents, I'll attempt a U-air or start spamming bombs upwards
4) One more move to help refresh jabs (which I use a lot)

IYM!

Smash Lord
Wiimote. I'm pretty sure Legan doesn't use that. :p
Wow, are you seiously use a Wiimoe?, man that is the worst control if you want be good with Link IMO, is to dificult do Zair with it.

I don't use the Z-air to D-tilt spike combo. In fact, I can't even do it right. I only got the inspiration to start using D-tilt as an edgeguarding move because:

1) it finally has a decent use
2) it can occasionally (for me) spike
3) if it doesn't spike, the knockback at low percents can combo into an F-air and at high percents, I'll attempt a U-air or start spamming bombs upwards
4) One more move to help refresh jabs (which I use a lot)
i use Dtilit in the same way too, also i use it to start an follow combos, sometimes to kill and also like a
CO-CO-CO-COMBO BREAKER!!!!!!!

quirkynature

Smash Ace
is to dificult do Zair with it.
I can quite consistently pull off a SH approaching Z-air.

The D-pad is exactly like the control stick in the way it absorbs input. The control stick merely makes it easier for commands to be input. The D-pad has absolutely no restrictions on directional movement. The only difficulty is understanding how to input it.

Example: To approach with a short hop, the character jumps up and moves forward. Press those buttons on the D-pad. Jump up and immediately press forward. The only literal analogy (hyuk hyuk) I can make is a quarter circle on the control stick. That's the same motion my thumb makes on the D-pad. A quarter circle and Link SH approaches.

Edit: Rephrase. My thumb stays 'between' the up and forward buttons. The area which contacts the D-pad stays singular throughout the SH approach period. How you apply the pressure on the D-pad is what differs. If people want, I'll record it for a visual aid (which is vastly easier).

To add Z-air, either press the minus button (why would you?) or press B and 2 (airdodge). Input B and 2 really quickly and you get the sound effect of airdodge and Z-air but the airdodge phase passes very quickly and you have a Z-air. I end up pulling out a bomb before Z-airing so I can stop and just toss it or just invincibomb because I'm pressing the airdodge button anyway. I think it actually increases my options a bit.

The Wiimote might not be able to perform smashes with a flick of your thumb, and it makes DI difficult (you can't DI and momentum cancel at the same time) but it's still versatile enough for my liking.

Edit: On Tuesday, August 10, 2010, at precisely 12:33 AM, Legan was viewing this thread. I can die happy. ^_^

HI LEGAN!!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
He probably just comes and facepalms at everything we say. We are so wrong. xP

Anyways, Link vs MK is freaking annoying, I think it's like 80:20, I was playing that matchup today and I just got *****. He really makes you panic.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I find that MU 85-15 MK, if the MK player knows this MU like the back of his hand.
Just too easy to get hit offstage and all it takes is one Dair for Link to go bye-bye.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I pretty much joined the MK is our actual worst MU club a little while ago.

It's really hard to win with the dumb safety MK has.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well I'm back to the drawing board with Link going to change up the way I play with him again, I've been inspired from watching new vids of Kirin and a new one of Legan to mix it up instead of having a concrete method of doing things which is what I have.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey looks it's my favorite person Yaay :053:

I'll help out when I get the chance, 3am over here at the moment.

Today I must have played Smash for like 12 hours. FML. I'm getting sick of the game now D:<

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I'm getting sick of the game now D:<
LOL I remember when I used to play it so much I got to the "WTF am I doing playing this AGAIN" phase. I actually left Smash for a month or two, switched to some other games and when I came back, I sucked so much a Lv. 6 Ganon two stocked my sorry @$$.:urg:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I change my avi all the time, IYM :(

I have my first offline tourney tomorrow, i'm confirmed to go Link at some point.
It's cash tourney, btw. I know, i'm a complete dumb ***, but that just adds to the fun.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I have my first offline tourney tomorrow, i'm confirmed to go Link at some point.
All the best!! Kick some butt! And, remember, Z-air is your friend. Also, if you start getting whooped, smack your opponent upside the head. When they glare at you, F-smash their sorry backside offstage and let them die by stomping on their foot as hard as you can.

Blame it on the voices in your head, or the 'spiders crawling all over them'.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I've had my old avatar which I made myself for a while, I thought it was time to change, and everyone's got this type of avatar in the Disco Room. Save some matches LP of your Link!

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
;D heeeeya Scabe.

-tries to stay on topic-

Uhmmm Scabe's new ava is cool! And I change my ava all the time. atm im just in a Kingdom Hearts fad since Otakon.

Good Luck LP! ;D We need more friendlies sometime.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Weekly Wifi Competition

I change my avi all the time, IYM :(

It's cash tourney, btw. I know, i'm a complete dumb ***, but that just adds to the fun.
I'm late saying this, good luck. People will shield and counter so use tip of attack spacing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Link boards should make a 'Weekly Wifi Competition' thread. Sort of like the Ike's Biweekly tournament but more casual allowing all characters and friendlies. It's hard to find people on Xat chat or for wifi matches so why not have 1 day a week where people check often and compete? We can make a thread here on the Link boards to plan ahead and work with everyone's schedules. I'll make the thread if people like the idea.

The problem is time zone differences. I suggest Saturday. Give me your opinion about this idea and how it will work best. Post on this thread.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Is it just to play? or are we ranking and what not. Cause it sounds like a power ranking. Though if its just for fun im all for it.

Top Bottom