• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Stop bringing back good memories of Smash Huggles, it makes staying too tempting :c

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Zip. Knocking on doors 6.25 days a week.

.25 for church and .5 for Preparation Day, when I buy stuff and do laundry.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^You're helping out and not waiting for the 'fairy godmother' to magically fix the world. It's admirable. I could be doing more...
If you get the chance, I *finally* posted some decent videos vs people in the video thread, check them out.

PS
I changed my name from MES!, by the way.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I liked MES! How'd you come up with that name?

So with your current name "Arizen", I see you using Rizen more. Is that because someone already had the name Rizen? D:

Also dude you've been pranked for ages! Since your premium now you can change your pink name to green and you can have a custom title.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I liked MES! How'd you come up with that name?

So with your current name "Arizen", I see you using Rizen more. Is that because someone already had the name Rizen? D:

Also dude you've been pranked for ages! Since your premium now you can change your pink name to green and you can have a custom title.
It was my tag for a long time that started by using my initials.
I checked and got Rizen on AiB, a moderator had to change it, and bought a premium membership here only to learn that someone who posted once in '08 on the meet and greet boards had taken Rizen:urg:.

Now that I'm playing with people again I will give critiques and help in discussions.
'Sorry for being distant; I felt too outdated and rusty.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Nah man, I've always loved your contribution here. You don't have to distant yourself from us :)

P.S. What do we call you? Rizen or Arizen?

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
So anyway, see you all tuesday (I hope I will see you all Tuesday, RIGHT :mad:)

MES, I'll always remember you on my mission because, after all...
Christ is...
arisen.

*giggle*

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
So, I can be on wifi for like 1/2 an hour.

I was going to ask you, Huggles, but you don't have Visitor Messaging enabled. Go turn that on so people can leave you comments (like when they want to play you!)

NOOO I MISSED ABUSING MY 1000th POST

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Control Panel? WHAT. Who even bothers with that thing.

Getting on right now. My FC is not the one next to my name; that's my Wii that's down in Charleston. I'll be on my brother's Wii: 1762-4352-9881. His Screen name is HRBRT.

EDIT: So. MLG Raleigh is in a couple months. August 27-29th. The weekend of my birthday, to be exact. Raleigh is about 4 hours from Charleston. Haha, MLG would be quite the first tourney experience, eh?

Rizen

Smash Legend
So anyway, see you all tuesday (I hope I will see you all Tuesday, RIGHT :mad:)

MES, I'll always remember you on my mission because, after all...
Christ is...
arisen.

*giggle*
'Z' makes 's' in words cooler, but not at the start. Same goes for 'y'. bomb slydez. Myst. Salamanderz <see coolest word ever right there.
I wanted 'Rizen' because the 'i' is strong, like 'rize'. rize-en. Arizen is pronounced ae-rize-en. It's secretly because I'm pulling myself out of a bad time in my life.
"*giggle*? Do you giggle when someone says... titmouse?
Lol. Anyway, I might be able to play wifi by wiring my wii directly to the router.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Hello Link boards! My name is Junglefever and I help moderate the Smashboards Information Center. At the SIC, we are attempting to create a mentoring program for older and newer members to go to so that they can progress in their smash career on a more personal level than just SWF. Mentors communicate to their pupils through PMs and AIM, in addition to playing WIFI with each other. We believe that the Mentoring Program is a good addition along with the character boards to help members get better.

So what do i need from you guys? I need a couple volunteers from your character board that are willing to mentor pupils one on one and help them get better at their desired character.

For any interested, please PM me the character you are interested in mentoring in, and what exactly you can bring to the table. How long have you been a Link main? Do you go to tourneys? Do you have access to wifi? What achievements have you earned in your time smashing?

Thanks guys! Hope to hear back from you soon!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned I was going to a tourney. So that's why if you've noticed that I was gone for like 2 days :embarrass

I'll post more about the tourney in the other thread when I get results.

Anyways, I'm finding it real hard to spam with Link now. I really don't know how to spam anymore. I wish I could find a set way to spam, but everytime I come up with an idea with how to spam. Later on I find that it's easily beaten.

@Junglefever's post: I wonder if I should join this mentoring program? :O

I think I might :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk i really dont believe in spamming. Spamming something will make it easier to see a pattern in the way you're attacking. Someone good will always be able to get around spamming, be it projectiles, or even a smash. In the guide i wrote, I think "Don't Spam" was the first guideline.

What i think might help you is to figure out a bunch of different ways you can combine your projectiles with other projectiles, zair, or sword slashes. The more patterns you can use effectively will make it harder to predict what you're going to do. Most likely making it more effective.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey that's some pretty good advice.

Like, lately I've been having alot set patterns. Like in this match I'll do this: Boomerang > Bomb, pull bomb out. But I really should start combining all these patterns together. The more unpredicable the better I guess. I feel that the way I play I don't mix it up. I'm like a robot.

Anyways I'm inspired after reading that post. :bee:

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
One thing that I sometimes like to do is give my opponent as many things as I can to pay attention to... for example, if you toss two bombs into the air, you still have time to get out a boomerang, arrow, or Z-Air. In doing this, you give your opponent three things (plus what you're currently doing) to pay attention to and avoid. This method can also be used to direct your opponent to where you want them.

Have you tried any combinations using instant bomb throws? One potentially useful combination I've found is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN49AtTNbio

Lots of people toss bombs at their opponent out of their short hops, but incorporating vertical throws and bomb-sliding can be a nice mix-up to your game.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Link is Brawl's ultimate gimmick character. Everything he has technically works until the opponent figures it out. So the key is to play in such a way that your opponent never really knows what you're going to do in the next instant. Keep your mind as open as possible, have a very wide base of knowledge for any given situation. If you have one set pattern for jab cancels, you're setting yourself up for getting countered (like jab cancel > grab). If you have three, then you're going to do better (like jab cancel > grab, jab cancel > retreating zair, jab cancel > dsmash). These all have to be habitual, so that in a single instant during the match you can decide in a split second and then follow up well. If you can't do this, you're not going to be a good Link.

Scabe, you've developed some good playstyles over time. The zair > single jab > zair worked well for a while. Then you went to bombing and then invincibombing to get away. I wish I would see you utilize these techniques together for spacing. You watch a lot of Links; now start emulating what looks like it's working, if even for just one time a match. You need to be able not only to do these things consistently, but be able to mix them together consistently. You need to weave a whole out of your playstyles; otherwise they're gimmicks that will only ever work until the opponent figures you out. Then, because you have nothing else ingrained in you anymore, you're screwed. The key with the pros is that they can fluently move between different styles of spacing, different techniques and habits, and they can do it before it becomes necessary and the opponent realizes what they're doing. The moment the opponent might be getting used to their current habit is the very moment after when the pro is already doing something else.

Pull yourself together. You're ranked 8th because you are extremely creative with your bottom-tier character, finding the styles that fall through the cracks and therefore are completely unexpected to your opponent. Look through your own vids and see what worked, how often, and when, and then practice combining those styles. Your creativity can only take you so far; practice what you have already done that worked for a time, make it a habit again, and then you can consciously make the decisions you'll need to when you need to.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Spamming, in my opinion, should be aggressive, moving camping that uses the strong points all 3 projectiles. Arrows- quickdraw, charge from a distance, good from both SHs and jumps. Boomerang- angled, big attack area that messes with spacing. Bombs- great priority, drop them, throw one up>instant throw later, versatile attack in many ways.
Throw the 'rang at good opportunities, SH arrows when the boomerang's out, quickdraw landings, and keep bombs in play as wild cards. Always move, platforms can help because the gravity factor and you can throw bombs down or drop them.

Once the opponent breaks through or you must approach/fight close combat, switch to a projectile/Zair Bait and react and bomb/landing canceling aerial attack mindgame strategy. My rule of thumb is the tip of Zair spacing this starts.

Closer, unless you have a bomb, spam is just inviting the opponent to punish you.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Closer, unless you have a bomb, spam is just inviting the opponent to punish you.
:chuckle: True enough.

I know Z-air is an amazingly important part of Link's metagame, but I rarely use it (I intend to correct that mistake, fellow Link-ers). I wonder how pros or the like would fare if Link didn't have a Z-air. Space with a boomerang? Constant quickdraws?

Edit: 100th post. W00t

@Scabe, Xavon and Huggles: I formatted and updated my Wii (big mistake) and I lost your FCs. I'll have to add you guys when I get on it next. I tried Brawl today (after two days of not touching it) and my Link feels dead. I got OMGWTFOWNND!! by a Lv 7 CPU Ganondorf.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I space just by staying just out of range. Using bombs, boomerangs, and arrows to mess up their spacing, rather then trying to space myself. Zair can get me into just as much trouble as it can keep me from, especially against short people. But then again im not the best Link.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
My friend told me not updating would interfere with wifi. I believed the dumb ******* and I've yet to check out his theory. If he's wrong, well, let's just say my actual brawling skills are much better than my Brawling skills because I've got about 50 discs sitting next to my Wii--unplayable.

At least I bought my copy of Metroid Prime: Trilogy. ^_^

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Dang. That sucks Quirky.

Zair is such a great attack. It's really hard to defend against too; you can't "beat" it unless you're Samus and just have a longer zair (meaning priority), it's fast, it hurts a lot, it can be used to lead into things, lagless on landing.... I would definitely recommend integrating it into your game plan right now. It's the only move I've ever used that was able to get my roommate to drop the F-bomb on me for in Brawl, haha.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wonder how pros or the like would fare if Link didn't have a Z-air. Space with a boomerang? Constant quickdraws?
Tons of jab cancels and retreating spam, I suppose.
When I haven't played in a while I constantly kill myself off stage and mistime/misdirect attacks. It takes several matches to sharpen your edge again.

My friend told me not updating would interfere with wifi. I believed the dumb ******* and I've yet to check out his theory. If he's wrong, well, let's just say my actual brawling skills are much better than my Brawling skills because I've got about 50 discs sitting next to my Wii--unplayable.

At least I bought my copy of Metroid Prime: Trilogy. ^_^
I'm afraid to hack my wii:ohwell:. Metroid PT's a great game, I'll share friend credits if you want.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Dang. That sucks Quirky.
Nah, no worries. Wii is back up and running perfectly. I'm now eligible to be put in the ranks of Jack Sparrow and the like...well, a few tiers below them, but I'm definitely a full-blown pirate now.

I'm afraid to hack my wii:ohwell:. Metroid PT's a great game, I'll share friend credits if you want.
Most def! I'll have to get up to speed on MP3, though, since I didn't back up any of my save data :eek:

MP3 is the best MP game, IMO. Nova beam + X-ray visor= instant kill.

For Samus' final smash, they should have had her ship strafe down and fire a few missiles, each dealing 40% damage, and Samus' suit falls of. For ZSS, the ship slams down onto the stage, pitting everyone into the stage, ZSS gets in, Samus gets out, ship takes off, 80% damage to all via thrusters and KO!!

...IDK lol I have an overactive imagination.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So they're making a remake of Ocarina of Time for the new Nintendo 3DS

And they showed the new Zelda Wii game at E3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5JkV5o_k5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q5JkV5o_k5A&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

This is so epic!

Rizen

Smash Legend
^The motion control's sweet. I hope the graphics improve, TP had such rich environments.
For Samus' final smash, they should have had her ship strafe down and fire a few missiles, each dealing 40% damage, and Samus' suit falls of. For ZSS, the ship slams down onto the stage, pitting everyone into the stage, ZSS gets in, Samus gets out, ship takes off, 80% damage to all via thrusters and KO!!

...IDK lol I have an overactive imagination.
That sounds tight.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
^The motion control's sweet. I hope the graphics improve, TP had such rich environments.
TP was actually amazing. Skyward Sword seems like a compromise between WW and TP. Or so I though.

Either way, I'm fricking pissed at Nintendo for pushing the release further back to 2011 now. First, Metroid: Other M gets pushed to AUGUST from JUNE. And now, this. :mad:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
More like a compromise between awesome and sexy, haha.

It does kinda suck that they pushed back the release date, but I'd rather them push the release date back and make sure the game is good than rush it and make it dumb though.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
More like a compromise between awesome and sexy, haha.

It does kinda suck that they pushed back the release date, but I'd rather them push the release date back and make sure the game is good than rush it and make it dumb though.
Well, sure, but they've had 3 or something years to work on this since TP came out. Mario Galaxy 2 came out soon enough, so wtf.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! what is this Zelda!!!????

nintendo , what are you doing?????????????????????

anoter cell shading NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

i want a real Zelda with real efects , no another WW, that is infant
a real zelda with great grapics and accion like oot and Majoras mask

no this pice of ****:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Miyamoto, WTF are you doing?????????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

i dont want see this link in smash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk whats wrong with the cell shading. I in fact like the effect cell shading has on the overall mood and presentation of the game.

To be honest i really dislike games that look realistic. New games put soo much effort on making things realistic and what not, when i would actually prefer with sprite based or something. An example of like lets say Mario kart vs some of the new racing games. Cartoonish graphics have more appeal then complete realism. At the very least things have to be stylized, or in the end everything will just end up looking the same.

It's also understandable that they would go cell shaded, it is not only cheaper in terms of processing power, but considering the success rate of TP vs that of WW. Its kind of obvious that they would try to emulate the more successful game.

Only gripe i have with this game is that they decided to keep the right handed Link instead of going with the traditional left handed.

Other then that it looks pretty sweet.

link2702

Smash Champion
I don't think they should of used adult/realistic link for cel shading, don't get me wrong, i liked ww's graphics and toon link was perfect for it( about the only thing i DID like about ww, next to the final battle with ganon, and the AMAZING ENDING CREDITS THEME!!) but the realistic link just does NOT fit with this style at ALL, they should of either kept toon link for it(wouldn't happen though since they gave us the poster for it last year showing realistic link) or they should of just kept the normal graphics

P.S. yes i hate toon link in brawl, but in terms of the actual zelda games, the graphic style of WW didn't bother me at all....it was just the annoying and tedious ocean travel(even after getting the ballad of gales, the ocean was still slow and boring to travel on), lack of dungeons, empty overworld(seriously it just felt empty and lifeless to me, all the dull boring ocean, with a few scattered tiny excuses for islands around) and lack of fun sidequests are what i hated about ww, graphics didn't bug me at all though.

but anyway, ya....adult/realistic link just doesn't fit in with a cel shaded style....but w/e, i'll still get the game, and make my judgement AFTER i've played it.

also, FDLJKDLflkjsLDSF JLK OOT REMAKE FOR 3DS ZOMG AWSOMEZ *faints*

Arcade

Smash Ace
Uh, is it just me or does Skyward Sword actually look WORSE than TP? It's like they're combining TP's art style with cel-shading. It just looks kinda bland IMO. I dunno. Maybe I'll change my mind later when the game is nice and polished up.

When they showed Link at the beginning I was wondering if I was actually watching the 3DS game, lol

I wish they'd bring back Wind Waker's awesome-looking sword strikes and parries instead of the Motion Plus nonsense too. All it seems to do is make swings delayed, inaccurate, and awkward.

... Why am I so pessimistic about this game and yet so optimistic about Kirby's Epic Yarn? Well, besides the fact that I've been waiting for Kirby Wii since they released those screenshots back in like 2006...

They're going to make a OoT3DS? I heard they just used the concept as a demo and they didn't say they were actually going to develop the game (a la FFVII remade intro for PS3 several E3's back). I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom