• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Arcade

Smash Ace
Arnt all zelda games relatively easy? I always thought zelda games were more about adventure and puzzling rather than playing a difficult game.
See the first three games in the series.

And what do you mean by that second sentence? It seems to me you're implying no game should be difficult unless that's it's primary purpose/feature. I'd just like a bit of challenge. I could run through TP with three hearts, the Ordon Sword, and no shield without much effort if the game would just let me. An Expert Mode or something would be nice.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I don't remember many Zelda games being that challenging in terms of truly having to have skill to win as opposed to figuring out boss's weaknesses and stuff. Oracle of Seasons was pretty challenging IIRC (that dragon end boss guy was pretty nasty), but the puzzles were VERY basic.

TP was easy because they had to make it doable with the Wii controls, right? So they had to kind of slow stuff down, I thought, which was why it was so easy on the Gamecube.

IYM!

Smash Lord
I'd just like a bit of challenge. I could run through TP with three hearts, the Ordon Sword, and no shield without much effort if the game would just let me. An Expert Mode or something would be nice.
MAN, I RLY AGREE WITH YOU:)

ZELDA GAMES ARE SOME EASY NOW, WELL WE HAVE EXPERIENCE NOW, BUT NINTENDO DONT PUT A REAL CHALLENGE FOR US, THE BETERANS OF ZELDA.

will be grat a dificult level , novice , normal, hard, very hard.

and an extra , a "Hero of Leyend "dificult will be unloked is you finsh the game without die in very hard dificult.

also will be cool a vs mode like starfox vs mode
select your character, select stage and config rules,

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I could run through TP with three hearts, the Ordon Sword, and no shield without much effort if the game would just let me.
Buuuut, it does. It doesn't require you to grab the heart pieces from the bosses. :/

Also, try the Cave of Ordeals with three hearts. That's actually a tough challenge.

And what do you mean by that second sentence? It seems to me you're implying no game should be difficult unless that's it's primary purpose/feature. I'd just like a bit of challenge.
He's not saying it can't be difficult; he's saying that the series is almost exlusively easy nowadays with most focus on puzzles and only a little focus on general difficulty level. I agree. The fights from OoT, MM, tMC, WW, PH, Four Swords Adventure, etc. are not difficult. It's simple to learn the AI's patterns and deal with it. He's just saying that he prefers a low-level difficulty Zelda with decent puzzles to a difficult Zelda with little or no puzzle-solving.

Personally, I do believe Nintendo is going to place difficulty at the back seat, and for (in their opinion) good reason. Zelda has taken a role of introducing the general public to a lot of Nintendo's new features lately, and so difficulty in the game is actually a negative for them when trying to get nab a thirty-five year-old mother's attention to buy the game for her kids or actually play it herself. Nintendo wouldn't want their customers frustrated in their first attempt at using Motionplus or their first 3DS game, now would they?
As irritating as it may be, the toughest thing I see yet is Skyward Sword's directional blocking/striking mechanism, which I think will be slightly more frustrating as the Wiimote fails you then it will be actually difficult.
But, Zelda's role has been introducing features of the Wii (TP), the DS (PH), and is currently introducing Motionplus to a much wider audience (SS) and nabbing customers for the 3DS through its wide popularity (OoT remake). I'm no fan of the calculated move from being a widely popular series through its ingenuity to a stepping stool to more customers, but that's exactly what Nintendo seems to be doing with our favorite series.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Buuuut, it does. It doesn't require you to grab the heart pieces from the bosses. :/
Really? They let you use the Ordon Sword and no shield throughout the game? I remember trying to do a run like that, but I read somewhere that it becomes impossible for some reason I don't remember so I quit (it's been a few years since I last played TP)...

Also, try the Cave of Ordeals with three hearts. That's actually a tough challenge.
Yeah, I remember there being an FAQ for that even.

He's just saying that he prefers a low-level difficulty Zelda with decent puzzles to a difficult Zelda with little or no puzzle-solving.
Why does it have to be one or the other? They make difficulty settings for this same reason; so people who want to be challenged can be challenged and people who just want to breeze through the game can do so. Combat is just not that exciting to me when there's no reason to care if I get hit or use all my fairies unless the graphics and sound are really engaging (ie Wind Waker). If the graphics and sound aren't engaging, then it's up to the puzzles, story, graphics and music to keep me interested. I'm not much of a puzzle guy and the story is lol, so... :ohwell:

OK, now I feel bad for ranting in the General Discussion thread (again?) :psycho:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
The Master Sword is required for only a few sections of the game, namely Zant's Castle (because you need it to eliminate the shadows) and Ganondorf (Because the Ordon Sword can't kill him; you need the Blade of Evil's Bane to do that). You can always switch back to the Ordon Sword when you no longer need the Master Sword. Me? I've always gone with no shield. I remember there being one section where I required the shield, so I used it, then I deliberately sought out fire again so I could burn my wooden shield and go no-shield for the rest of the game.

I've also done a Wolf Link runthrough. There are a ton of parts where you have to be regular Link (obviously) but I did the absolute bare minimum I could with him. You actually have to be really clever to beat some of the enemies.

No problem with the rant, Arcade. I think we'd all like either a higher difficulty level for the series or difficulty settings, but Nintendo seems to be too busy abusing the series' notoriety right now to listen to its committed fans. The closest they've gotten to sating our thirst is saying that you'll actually be able to swing the sword in Skyward Sword and the reinclusion of sword beams (Well excuuuuuse me princess!).
It really wasn't that long of a rant anyways Arcade. If I'm going to consider something a rant, I need either one huge block of text that makes me scroll at least twice so that I can see the whole thing or five to ten really long paragraphs.

No rant 4 u.

Arcade

Smash Ace
So you can go through the game with the Ordon Sword and no shield, huh? I'll have to continue that run later.

IYM!

Smash Lord
well, that is true Annonano , the cave of ordelas was hard, but
You dont are tired to do the same side quest to get some challenge?

i mean , would be better if entire game would like this or more difficult?

well the answer is ovious :)

link2702

Smash Champion
zelda 1 and 2 are the most difficult of the series, hell most all games back during the nes and part of the SNES days were, because they didn't hold your hand all the way through to the end.

link2702

Smash Champion
relax foo, link is mah secondary, and my main in both other smashes O_O

besides....im one of da few pit mains dat dont fit da meme so don't worry.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Hmm thats interesting i didnt think anyone else was a Pit main Link secondary.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've beat every Zelda except WW, Phantom Hour Glass and Spirit Tracks (toon shaded ones).
Difficulty scale, hard to easy:
Zelda 2
Zelda 1
OoT Master quest
MM
Link's awakening
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
A Link to the Past
OoT
TP
Four Swords Adventures
--------------------------------------------------
The challenge in Zelda games is the first time through. When I was young and naive and scared of Re-Deads I used a guide for OoT and spit on the awesome game.
...I was so young. Young and naive. -wait, that's Samus's Other M line. So I beat MM with everything only looking at a guide for 1 piece of heart and the couples mask. That was challenging.

The sad side affect of Maining or seconding Link in smashbros, Link's my exclusive in all three, is that other games are waaaaay too easy. Recently I've blazed through Mario galaxy 2 and Mega Man Zero collection. That's why we're drawn back to smashbros and Link: the challenge.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I've beaten Zelda I, but I was like 6 at the time. I haven't been able to beat it since :( Apparently age 6 was the height of my video gaming prowess; oh, if only Brawl had come out 16 years ago!

Bye Ano; we'll miss you! Have a safe trip!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
It's a small meme.

This may eat up some bandwith :urg:

[collapse=WARNING MANY PICTURES. CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK]

Original

[/collapse]

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Cool:). What does ACT stand for?
@ Ano:
Good luck! Keep us 'posted' when you can.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Okay so random tangent again, as per usual for me.

But i was bored so i watched my 2 characters fight to the death. Pit and Link. Link only won once out of 4, and of course it was on norfair. Real nail biter though.

A few interesting things i found:
Link jab canceled to grab a few times. Which i didn't think comps did.
Link also gimped pit a few times since comp pit is stupid and likes to hover around the edge till he runs out of jumps.
Link also seemed to like to spam FH arrows. Which i think is really just stupid.
Link really loved Utilt as do I.

Weirdest of all Pit taunted by crouching for every first kill. Really odd.

Watching comps is kinda funny at times.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
A few interesting things i found:
Link jab canceled to grab a few times. Which i didn't think comps did.
Link also gimped pit a few times since comp pit is stupid and likes to hover around the edge till he runs out of jumps.
Link also seemed to like to spam FH arrows. Which i think is really just stupid.
Link really loved Utilt as do I.

Watching comps is kinda funny at times.
Ever had a comp Link gimp you by ledgegrabbing? Happened to me.

On FD, at least, the comp will spam D-air as a damage racker. THAT'S when I realized what Huggles said about using D-air conservatively. That one second landing lag is asking for trouble. :chuckle:

I never really used the U-tilt till the comp punished my rolling with it, and boy did he. Good juggler, too.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, I've heard computers actually will learn styles from what you do on your system. Computer Link on mine loves to FH an arrow and then landing cancel a second, a trick I tend to do while edgeguarding, and will also jab cancel. My roommate plays ultra-camp ROB, so computer ROB is pretty dumb since he tries to camp but forgets he has the laser for whatever reason apparently, but on my brother's wii ROB is much nastier and is aggressive.
I never really used the U-tilt till the comp punished my rolling with it, and boy did he
Haha, yeah, utilt is a great move, and Link's roll is crap. You can replace almost all of Link's rolls with a spotdodge and usually be significantly better off. I am still confused as to why Link has one of the worst OoS games in Brawl, yet they inexplicably decided to give him the (tied for) best spotdodge in the game (22 frames long, 1 startup frame, 2 ending frames, leaving 19 of 22 frames invincible. WHAT). Haha, it's like Sakurai was taunting us. "Here you go Link mains! I'll give you the best spotdodge yet still make it impossible for you to punish!"

Arcade

Smash Ace
My Link CPU actually knocked me down and jabbed me three times and then tried to grab me.

I mean, I've seen CPU Falcos laser lock, but that could have been coincidence. This CPU actually jabbed, walked, jabbed, walked, and jabbed. I wish I had a replay of that.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Haha, I've heard computers actually will learn styles from what you do on your system.

Haha, it's like Sakurai was taunting us. "Here you go Link mains! I'll give you the best spotdodge yet still make it impossible for you to punish!"
What. The. Eff. ROBOTS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!! ZOMGWTFPWND!!!!11

It's actually a pretty good idea, having the CPU learn from you, but it's still no match for human competition. Side note: the Ike just rolls behind me and jabs or F-tilts lol.

I actually imagined Sakurai saying that in a comically high pitched voice followed by maniacal laughter and it cracked me up. Good one, Huggles.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Haha, I've heard computers actually will learn styles from what you do on your system. Computer Link on mine loves to FH an arrow and then landing cancel a second, a trick I tend to do while edgeguarding, and will also jab cancel. My roommate plays ultra-camp ROB, so computer ROB is pretty dumb since he tries to camp but forgets he has the laser for whatever reason apparently, but on my brother's wii ROB is much nastier and is aggressive.

Haha, yeah, utilt is a great move, and Link's roll is crap. You can replace almost all of Link's rolls with a spotdodge and usually be significantly better off. I am still confused as to why Link has one of the worst OoS games in Brawl, yet they inexplicably decided to give him the (tied for) best spotdodge in the game (22 frames long, 1 startup frame, 2 ending frames, leaving 19 of 22 frames invincible. WHAT). Haha, it's like Sakurai was taunting us. "Here you go Link mains! I'll give you the best spotdodge yet still make it impossible for you to punish!"
Your #s don't match mine, where'd you get those?
Spotdodge
Frame 1: Intangible
Frame 20: Vulnerable
Frame 25: IASA

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=124952

Have you guys seen this? It's pretty good evidence that CPUs do at least adapt to what you do through trial and error. I haven't seen any other evidence this good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUVdXuIcU4
I thought I was being paranoid but there is a small adaptation program with CPUs. CPUs are always dumb but they've almost mastered tecking and breaking from grabs. I can't pummel more than the minimum amount for that damage%.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Randomness strikes again.

New Futurama episodes tonight. Sweet. Bout time they continue that series aside from weird movies.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Your #s don't match mine, where'd you get those?
Spotdodge
Frame 1: Intangible
Frame 20: Vulnerable
Frame 25: IASA

http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=124952
I got mine from the LBR on page 12. I was a little wrong though; it says intangible at frame 2 then vulnerable on frame 20 and frame 22 is IASA. I think Xyro77 tested them.

Ryos4 said:
Randomness strikes again.

New Futurama episodes tonight. Sweet. Bout time they continue that series aside from weird movies.
Haha, watching it right now.

Rizen

Smash Legend
OMFG I'm stuck on CAPTURING the darn Great Jaggi. Can you please multi it out with me so I can offline it and freakin' advance?

Awesome game, though, innit?
What weapon do you use? To be blunt I prefer the hammer (although it requires a lot of sharpening for some reason).
This site's very helpful:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs

All big monsters have weak areas in their armor that change if you have a cut or impact weapon.
(Spoiler alert: you see outlines of every major monster)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/59518
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/59517

Hit them where it hurts. Big monsters have 'blind spots' too or places where they have trouble hitting you. I've found this is almost always to the left or right and behind the head or between the legs behind the head. Strangely, you're safer right next to the monster. Keep in mind I use a hammer which charges as I move; weapons that block will be different. Go out of the area to heal/sharpen weapon etc. Monsters always favor one side to tail swipe so go for the opposite side. They have several attack patterns but it's an attack and counter game. Finally, monsters are much fiercer near death.

You'll eventually need to combine items, buy the books of combos from the 'gal with the goods' to improve accuracy. Useful combos:
Sap plant+paintberry=paintball
blue mushroom+herb=potion
potion+honey= Mega potion
stone or iron ore+sap plant=bomb casing
bomb casing+tranquilizer=Tranq bomb
Ivy+Spider Web=Net
Net+trap tool=pitfall trap
thunder bug+trap tool=shock trap

That's enough for now. Keep at least 1 of each type of plant, seed, bug, mushroom, and honey in your item box so you can raise more in the farm later. Dragon Toadstools will create great items later in the game.

Capturing:
Grab the blue box supplies and always take the map. Bring your own supplies too.
Before you draw your weapon throw a paintball at the boss, bring a few extra because the hunter throws like a girl. When marked a pink dot will appear on the map. This wears off over time and might need to be redone. Pound the monster until it limps away, follow it and repeat. After the second beating it should be almost dead. Monsters have areas of the map they go to as their health drops. Kill the weak herbivores so the boss can't eat them for health. Eventually the boss will go to their nest to sleep. This location is always the same for that monster in the area. When it goes there don't enter right away, wait and watch the pink dot on the map. It will stop moving in a short time- this means the boss is sleeping. Run in with your weapon sheathed and setup a trap on the sleeping boss (ignore the lower monsters). Speed setup skill decorations help. The boss will struggle in the trap, bombard it with tranq bombs. Monster captured.

Great Jaggi will sleep in area 5 of the Sandy plains. In the desert sand areas use cool drinks during the day and hot drinks at night- Great Jaggies won't visit these areas anyway. It's face is weakest, hit there when it calls for help. Otherwise attack and dodge in it's blind spot (behind the head and to your left I think). If you need to clear out the small monsters keep moving and hit the ones away from the Great Jaggi. If you move around it has troubling attacking you. The only major threat is it's lunging tail swipe which it can chain at low health. If you're worried, fight by an area exit for quick retreats. Once you learn the pattern it's not too hard.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I really have no idea what the game is about, I've only ever seen one trailer and I was like meh, but since everyone likes this game, I really want to try it.

The game is like dual layered, I wonder if I can still play it on my USB loader.

Top Bottom