• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I have sort of similar experience with that sort of thing. Which is kinda why i dont like playing ditto matches. I found the way i play can have trouble against someone who is playing the same character but spammy and defensive. Spamming smashes, which generally have longer range and are faster. Also i find advance play tactics dont work too well against new players either. Since the way they play is different from advance players, which may cause you to make alot of misreads, and possibly walk straight into attacks.

Or it could just be beginners luck.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My ditto's are terrible. I'm better vs Falco because I know the MU. Almost no one play Link.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Really cause i dont run into falcos. I run into a lot of peach and zelda that just give me horrible troubles with Link.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I hate ditto matches. I hate v/s Jigglypuff even more. Sometimes they'll stay just out of your reach to taunt you. That, and I just hate Jigglypuf.

RMZ

Smash Cadet
^Then I haven't been playing good Jiggs then. They are easy haven't lost to a Jigg player yet.

I love playing dittos since they show all the flaws in my strategies. So they are awesome learning matches

I say that in RL. XD
I like to assume everyone on the internet is younger than me since most 19 year olds have lives.

RMZ

Smash Cadet
Really? XD

I thought it was always so interesting finding another person playing the same character. I mean you both have the same abilities just way different strategies.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
With some characters, dittos are ridiculous. For example: Marth. The way that he plays... the zoning, the spacing, etc... I can't stand matching up the two styles.

Link has so many different styles, though. I honestly don't get bored of Link dittos.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
With some characters, dittos are ridiculous.
Ike. Almost everybody I played fits into two distinct categories: approach with F-air or Quick Draw. I honestly don't know why he places higher than Link in the tier list. Almost all of his moves can be safely shield-grabbed (shield-grabbed!!).

MK. In friendlies, IDC is a massive problem. Almost everybody learns it, and spams it the moment the match begins. Makes for some hilarious, although long-winded, MK v MK friendlies.

RMZ

Smash Cadet
^ Ah I see your point there. That's just asinine then.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
While Ike has Links weakness in recovery and can be shield grabbed. Hes got some seriously long range with every attack capable of KOing someone at some point. If ike can get a read on his opponent it could be the end with an Fsmash as low as 50%. So as bad as Ike can get, he can easily make up for it with one attack.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
If ike can get a read on his opponent it could be the end with an Fsmash as low as 50%. So as bad as Ike can get, he can easily make up for it with one attack.
Given. He has a long, disjointed hitbox. Sure, if he gets a read on his opponent, he can end it with a single F-smash. That's where Link's godly DI ability comes into play.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing Ike in friendlies. But he's one of the few characters I actually play really aggressively against, and this is coming from a defensive player. I even overuse Link's grabs and throws to the extent they need to be refreshed from 5 back to 7.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
You meant in an actual Link Vs Ike? Well obviously Link's projectiles give him a huge advantage not to mention his long grab range. A single character match up doesn't make the tier list. To be completely honest, i can completely wreck some people with Ike not even using any smashes. His jab canceling and what not can be a serious problem to Link at close range. Also Ike's quick draw gives him some mobility that can greatly help. If Link doesn't play campy against Ike. I think he really loses all of his advantage of Ike, if any in the first place. You probably just play some bad Ike players or something.

In a Pit Vs Snake. Pit has like a 55-ish advantage over snake, but it doesn't push snake down the Tier list.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Na i think Falco vs Falco must be terrible. Falco's greatest strength used against himself. A 3 stock match could end in 3 chain grab spikes and its over. If they live past the chain grab it might get interesting.

Its also kinda sad how much trouble a Falco has killing after they can no longer chain grab. I think many Falco players have no idea how to play without relying on chain grabs and smashes.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I want to see an Ice Climbers ditto. What Ike has that link doesn't is a good OoS game, grab with little lag, armor frames, and awesome jabs for spacing. Link can't deal with opponents super-close, Ike can. Link has range and edge-option advantages but eventually the opponent will invade Link's bubble.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
His jab canceling and what not can be a serious problem to Link at close range. You probably just play some bad Ike players or something.
True. A properly done jab cancel gets in damage worth his F-smash. You're right. Ain't no good Ike players around here. :urg:

Olimar v Olimar. Let the Pikmin-fest begin!! Funnest part? Both of them are offstage, and only one can tether. :p

RMZ

Smash Cadet
^ Oh Em Ge. That would be a match that I would watch.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Why Link should be top-tier:

He's man enough to wear a skirt while fighting.

Even after countless matches, his hat hasn't fallen off once.

He smacks people in the face with a claw on a chain (if that's not hardcore, I dunno what is)

He puts up with Navi EVERY FREAKING HOUR OF EVERY FREAKING DAY!

He can find money literally anywhere (TRY DOING THAT, SNAKE!!).

His favorite sport is killing behemoth monsters.

And best of all:

He's NOT JIGGILYPUFF!!!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Hey Link's I'm back. :link:

Wow a SpaghetttiWeegee post! It's so cool to see all these faces popping up in here :grin:

So the tourney I went to was all about crew battles and doubles and no singles at all. In crew battles people were aloud to ban a character of yours if you were Power Ranked and so people banned my Link lol. But anyways, you guys are going to hate me but I've found a new love for Toon Link. He's such a good character and fairly easy to pick up since he's just like Link.

I think I might start seconDAIRing him. :toonlink:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hahaha, nice. Toon Link just feels... different to me. I think it's because he's so much floatier and his aerials are all a little different... that dair messes me up a lot. I did really like Wind Waker though; I loved the light-hearted nature of it, and I like the character Toon Link.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So did you made it out of pools?! :O

Do they even have pools in Columbus? How was the tournament? And who does Logic use?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There are no pools it's just straight bracket.

Kinda sucks since players like Lcancel got knocked out really early when he played really good players, but that can happen to anyone.

The tournament was the best tournament I've ever been to, regardless of the lack of friendlies it was amazing to play all of these people from around the country and to have a tournament run this smoothly. Ally, NickRiddle, San, Shacky, and Ook were my personal favorite people to watch during the later rounds of the tournament. In the result threads and at the tournament people were complaining how people are playing against low tiers wrong, I just LOL at that for the sole fact the game has been out this long and people continue to whine that they don't know what to do.

Logic is Pyronic Star, an Olimar main. He ***** me before in a money match I did with him a couple months ago and he pretty much repeated the results at this tournament.

Also I ditto'd Legan here, that was mad fun.

swordsaint

Smash Master
hey scabe

i love you. but some people said your toon link sucked. (no offense) someone was trashing about how tibs pikachu ***** you. and some other stuff about how bad your toon link is.

im sorry :(

quirkynature

Smash Ace
someone was trashing about how tibs pikachu ***** you. and some other stuff about how bad your toon link is.
They're only hating because they didn't have the balls to let Scabe play his Link in the tournament in the first place. We ALL know he would have ***** everybody without even breaking a sweat.

Rizen

Smash Legend
(MES! name changed to Arizen)
Hey Link's I'm back. :link:

Wow a SpaghetttiWeegee post! It's so cool to see all these faces popping up in here :grin:

So the tourney I went to was all about crew battles and doubles and no singles at all. In crew battles people were aloud to ban a character of yours if you were Power Ranked and so people banned my Link lol. But anyways, you guys are going to hate me but I've found a new love for Toon Link. He's such a good character and fairly easy to pick up since he's just like Link.

I think I might start seconDAIRing him. :toonlink:
They're only hating because they didn't have the balls to let Scabe play his Link in the tournament in the first place. We ALL know he would have ***** everybody without even breaking a sweat.
My second would be Falco if I had one. Some characters destroy Link with no effort:urg:. I should enter doubles next time. I played some friendlies and concluded Link is seriously better at doubles than singles.
@ Scabe: You have a gooood link if people are banning the second lowest ranked character from you;).

@ Red Ryu: those were tough opponents, better luck next time.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
hey scabe

i love you. but some people said your toon link sucked. (no offense) someone was trashing about how tibs pikachu ***** you. and some other stuff about how bad your toon link is.

im sorry :(
Must you always ruin my happy mood. :mad:

And yeah that was the first time I used Toon Link.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
(MES! name changed to Arizen)

My second would be Falco if I had one. Some characters destroy Link with no effort:urg:. I should enter doubles next time. I played some friendlies and concluded Link is seriously better at doubles than singles.
@ Scabe: You have a gooood link if people are banning the second lowest ranked character from you;).

@ Red Ryu: those were tough opponents, better luck next time.
My secondary is Sheik. Ha. Sorry, Link.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, I'm jealous of you Red Ryu. I'd have loved to get to go to such a big tournament, much less participate in it. You were playing the best of the best, and I'm sure even being in that atmosphere was incredible.

My second is probably Wolf. After that I'd give to nod to Captain Falcon or Ganondorf, although the Captain is gaining ground over both Wolf and Ganon. He just can't show up Link's moves, though :D

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Who would be a good secondary for Link to cover his horrible matchup's?

Haha I totally should ask that in the Q/A thread but it seems this thread just covers everything.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Meta Knight! He can cover all of Link's bad matchups and has a better matchup against all of Link's good matchup! (LAWL, Only Ganondorf)

For serious, if we're talking a non-top tier second, I bet Peach would be a pretty good choice since she covers most of Link's really nasty (70/30) matchups pretty well (at least a 50/50 matchup I think) except for MK and Falco (which only MK covers the MK matchup, haha, and Falco is a 60/40, which is still better than what Link has to face). They cover very opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of what they're good at, which means with those two you can have almost every base covered, but that means you have to learn two incredibly different styles of play too. I've been waffling on who I would pick as a true secondary, but I think I'd pick Peach or Wolf if I had to settle on only one(but Peach is definitely better strategically between the two I think).

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Pit doesn't really have any really bad match ups. I think worse is maybe 45 or 40. So he could probably cover many of Link's weaknesses. That or I think Toon Link could work as well.

Both handle chain grabbers pretty well. Good recoveries and off stage game.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Who would be a good secondary for Link to cover his horrible matchup's?

Haha I totally should ask that in the Q/A thread but it seems this thread just covers everything.
Sheik also has very few bad match-ups. If you want to use Zelda, go for it, but Sheik basically has things handled. She has a unique playstyle and is lots of fun to use.

Marth is another great character, to be honest. He's almost even in the MK match-up, and can deal with any character pretty well... he kind of hates DDD, though.

Yo! Homies! The Link Online Thread is holding its power rankings tournament pretty soon. You can only participate if you post your information (general location, friend code, username) in this thread.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
My second? Ummmm....... Is it sad that I'd say Ganondorf?

In all seriousness, I'd have to say Pit. He feels a lot like Link with wings (at least to me), and covers a huge spread of MUs that Link has trouble with.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Toon Link is a good char, and for me he's simply a way better version of my regLink. But he's got similar bad matchups as Link; he's just better at them than Link.

Except for facing Snake. Lol.

Pit is a great character that covers most of Link's MUs. Pikachu works pretty well, too. Peach is fine, DK is meh, and MK is loltraitor.
Wolf, Lucario, Jigglypuff and Marth are pretty bad at covering wide swathes of MUs.

This strikes me as funny because we've got people here who secondary them, and I've secondaried all of those for at least four or five months each. Lol. Marth was impossible for me because I picked him up especially for D3. THAT WENT OVER REALLY REALLY WELL.

The only better MU coverer than MK is Captain Falcon because everyone tries their hardest to run into your Falcon pawnches for you. Awzum.

Top Bottom