• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LasT Smash 2 - Baton Rouge, La. (11/22/08) Melee/ Brawl!

westbankboi89

Smash Rookie
Gentlemen, i am a nub. hahaha but seriously if you don't want to enter the tournament and just come and watch is that cools? or do you have to enter? cause i suck really bad compared to most other SSBM players.

Pritch

Smash Lord
I think you do kind of hold a grudge taylor, but the high-level play argument is true, which is why ultimately I don't care too much. If a chu/wobbles/hozart (if anyone around here knows about him) grabs me I'm going to be pretty sad either way, and if some random scrub grabs me then its my own fault cuz I play peach, and lets face it, ICs should not grab a decent peach without a pretty sick player behind them.

And wobbling definitely wasn't banned at FCD. There was a pretty big arguement about that ~a month or so beforehand, but the kishes allowed it.

Honestly man, I'd be inclined to write what happened to you there off as just you having a bad day or somthing - I'd be really suprised if a subpar-yet-wobbling IC could really cause you that much trouble. Hell, I don't worry about such things and you're definitely better than me at the game.

Gentlemen, i am a nub. hahaha but seriously if you don't want to enter the tournament and just come and watch is that cools? or do you have to enter? cause i suck really bad compared to most other SSBM players.
Definitely come and play. Tournaments are the only way to get better.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
pritch how would rate my melee skill level from the two times we played??? just curious like of all the people uve pkayed where would u rank me???

-Ran

Smash Master
10 bucks for a full day of Smash, for everything you learn you should at least increase the pot. ^_~

D

Deleted member

or, like ihbs said, you can just come to play friendlies and watch

-Chad-

Slackerator
I taught my 10 year old cousin to wobble.

In 15 minutes.

@westbank- Yeah dood even if you don't wanna participate in the tourny, I'm sure most of the people there will be more than happy to play friendlies with you but you gotta be assertive and call dibs on next :o

-Chad-

Slackerator
No, I'm just expressing how easy it is to do a technique that has the same result as something like...drillshine infinites across FD or something =o

Pritch

Smash Lord
I see your point, but by the same token chaingrabbing spacies with marth is waaaay harder than, say, chaingrabbing with sheik in general, yet there's no complaints there.

It's probably better than drillshine infinites. No smash DI. =p

-Chad-

Slackerator
Heh yeah, but at least chaingrabbing doesn't always lead to a free stock >_>...etcetc bottom line me no likey wobbling, don't really wanna debate about it =X

Being a pika player that doesn't mind fighting Sheiks anymore, I can handle just about everything 'cept wobbling =P

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah...I'm thinking about it as well. We should convince Shai Hulud to go and let us stay at his house again.
MAYBE I can come to this...probably depends how far I've gotten on my grad school applications and how irresponsible I am feeling.

Also, wobbling is nowhere near broken enough to warrant banning. Yeah, it's really broken, but ICs are just a terrible character with so many weaknesses that you shouldn't have trouble beating them. Any character with a good CC game, projectile game, or gimping game ***** ICs. Fox (can gimp Nana at any % with ease, can spam aerials safely), Marth (range, Nana is super easy to combo), Peach (projectiles, CC, can't be comboed), Samus (projectiles, CC, can't be comboed), Ganon (can kill Nana at 0%, can't be shield-grabbed), CF (Nana is super easy to combo, can spam aerials safely), Jiggs (can't be approached, can't be comboed) are all bad matchups. Sheik is also worse than people think. The Marios and Luigi are even at best. Falco is even at best. You just have to change your playstyle against ICs and some people aren't comfortable with that. Wobbling doesn't really change much because it's really hard to grab the characters mentioned above. It just makes ICs annoying to fight against because you have to be really careful not to use laggy moves or miss L-cancels and you have to change your focus to splitting them up and killing Nana (which you should be doing anyway). I used to play ICs a lot and even wobbling like mad didn't change the fact that they have so many terrible matchups. My Fox, Marth, Sheik, and Falco are all much better than my ICs despite the fact that I spent a lot of time on ICs figuring out new desynchs and tactics. There's just nothing you can do to combat the fact that they are one of the most gimpable characters in the game. Only a couple of players (Chu, Wobbles) have ever done really well with ICs and they are both good enough players that if they had spent the same amount of time learning Fox or Marth you can bet they would have won even more tournaments.

That said, I don't really play ICs anymore and will probably not use them if I come to this. I just think people vastly overestimate the power of this tactic because it sounds terrible, as a potential 0 - death from a GRAB. But then you think about it and realize you can wiggle out below 20 pretty easily, and if you're good at wiggling out of grabs up to 40 or so. Okay, but 20ish - death from a grab still sounds pretty bad. Except it's not, because it's the ICs, and you can't compare their grab game to that of any other character. It's at least 10x harder to get synched grabs with ICs than to land a grab with Marth, or Sheik, or Fox. So the comparison to these characters' CGs is just not valid. Yeah, Marth/Sheik/Fox's CGs are never guaranteed 0 - death, but the relative ease with which they can start those CGs combined with the other aspects of their general brokenness make them just as powerful.

Also drillshine infinites are a myth. I can do them against computers but they never, ever, ever work against humans.

Vts

Smash Champion
so who wants to give VTS a ride i can meet you half way but 7 hour drives blow but if needed i'll drive all the way with chamber/ace/altus if they can get off.

D

Deleted member

mocha's pichu is pro (and im sure chad's can be too, hah), half of everyone there will be pro with marth, and me and lee have pretty mean falcons.

definitely the best link though lol.

this will be fun.

idk if u counted vaughn's tv yet randall, but i can bring my tv, wii, and gnc. so if u didnt count vaughn's tv already that's 2 more full setups.

-Ran

Smash Master
Since I'm going to Hobo, it's highly unlikely that I'll get another random Saturday off this month. So I won't be able to make it. =(

Pritch

Smash Lord
*puts money on lee*

I'm bringing a melee setup, randall. I'm assuming you knew this already, but in case you didn't, there it is.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Since ther is a need for a Wii, I'll bring mine. I'll have a copy of Brawl in it, and If yall need and extra game cube(if you dont want to use my wii) I'll bring that too with my copy of meele. I'm pretty sure I still have the GC wireing sitting by my GC on the book shelf. Otherwise I dont see why I wouldnt be able to bring it, also, I'm not sure if I'd be able to bring a tv, that would be a little too much to carry along with me, even though it is one of those small TV's we usually have set up in the back of Gameware. I'll see, but dont get your hopes up. I'm gona try.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I just found my copy of Melee yesterday that I thought I lost, so I can bring both systems/games.

I could most likely bring 2 TVs as well. Even a 3rd if you don't mind a small one for friendlies.

And of course I'll be bringing recording equipment such as VCR(s) and my Camcorder.

Don't forget power strips too guys.

(oh... I still need to ask off work!)

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Pritch, I have you down for a full Melee setup.

Bomber, I'm going to put you down for a Wii/ Brawl and Cube/ Melee. If anything changes, just let me know.

Manko, I'm going to put 2 TVs and both systems and games down. The third TV might be useful, but I'm not going to count it unless I have to since it's small. Also, who exactly is coming with you?

Thanks to the three of you. I'm gonna update the first post.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I actually prefer to play on small TVs. If I come I can probably bring a setup. But I'm still iffy about whether I can come. Depends how badly school is kicking my *** that particular weekend.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully school won't be too bad for you. I'll put down your maybe setup (TV/ Cube/ Brawl, right?). It's looking like we just might have enough stuff for this.

Power strips anyone?

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well, George, I just thought of something. Is ther an estimate of when the tourny will end, cuz my parents are concerned about me brining it becasue they dont want all my stuff to get stolen. As long as it doesnt last till like 10 or 11 I'm pretty sure I should be able to bring it.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Hopefully school won't be too bad for you. I'll put down your maybe setup (TV/ Cube/ Brawl, right?). It's looking like we just might have enough stuff for this.

Power strips anyone?
Don't have Brawl, I can bring a TV, cube, Melee, and two power strips if you need them. I'm thinking I can *probably* make it as I will only have one test left before finals by that weekend. But I also have to start working on my eight applications to grad school at some point :(

I will let you know by next weekend anyway.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Randall, we have 2 wiis with Brawl, not just one. I unlocked Taylor's Brawl the other day and I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting us use it.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Bomber, it'll probably go late. If you can't stay that long, you can leave with your stuff. I'd imagine sometime between 7 and 9, most of the TVs will probably become free for friendlies anyways.

Shai Hulud, I think I added it as Melee on my list. I'll check it out. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Yeah Taylor said we could use his. Who has the second copy of Brawl?

Top Bottom