• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last duke biweekly! Online prereg! $20 venue $0 entry|m2k, armada, pp, ally attending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol u will get that chance dahlin i sware

mommy and i are just having an adult discussion. it's not ur fault baby

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh COME ON DJ........I'll try again

If non-PR beats all non-PR but loses to PR only in pools then they will almost certainly have a seeding vs a lower PR player. This gives the non-PR a BETTER CHANCE of becoming PR'd because they won't play against a PR that is too high to beat at the present time(vs one they could have the potential to beat but they never get the chance to play in tournament).

They aren't "getting another chance" they are getting seeded according to how well they did in their pool. I guess if you wanted to say they're getting a fairer shot at becoming PR'd by playing a lower seed earlier in the bracket as a reward for doing well in pools, then yeah, I don't see why that's silly.

again it is easier to beat a lower PR seed than a higher one which will undoubtedly happen in pools. Giving a chance to play a lower PR seed in bracket gives a fairer shot at making the PRs.

Moophobia

Smash Champion
I want lots of matchs and a chance to prove myself my tournament placings always suck ****in **** and I know I'm better than that. So yeah

DJRome

Smash Hero
basically, ur trying to maximize the number of times top non pr gets to play low pr. bc in all relevant cases, the low pr will have beaten the top non pr already.

i think it's silly to essentially guarantee that the top non pr play low prs. if it didn't happen in pools, then i can't see why extra measures should be taken to ensure that top non prs get a chance at the low prs. it's basically producing a system to get non prs into prs, which i guess is a valiant cause to champion

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i guess to me, deciding which "5 men" end up in the bracket seems to be the part that makes the least sense/becomes rather subjective.

personally, i don't give a **** about being power ranked, yet. however, i do want my fair share at tournaments, and i want other people who aren't power ranked to have the same fair share. playing people twice in tournaments has surely happened enough even without pools (robert vs. seven last biweekly).

apparently, a lot of how to decide brackets seems undoubtedly tied to how to decide pr's. the thing that i feel as if i'm suggesting (though overall, probably unpopular), is to have pr's not really matter for bracket making. any given tournament would rely on each player that day, and seeding would be made accordingly.

Does this put the pr people at a disadvantage? i would wager no, not if they're actually as good as their supposed ranking. if they still beat the people that they're "supposed" to beat, then such a thing is no longer a problem. rather than relying on previous data (although it is updated very effectively for its use), if we do a pool type thing, then seeding would shift to relying on data on that day, at that tournament, in that setting. Which, as a non pr, appeals to me.

edit: DJ if we didn't give good non pr's a shot at low pr's then what the **** is the point of having them, updating them every 3 tournaments, and using them for bracket setting anyway? if we never find out how good someone is because they never face people at their own level, then what IS the point? if someone SHOULD be ranked 7th, but always ends up losing to number 3 in tournaments because he's not power ranked in the first place, then howtf are we supposed to know how to rank if theres NO **** DATA cuz apparently you don't want it to exist because pools said it shouldn't exist?

u scared.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lol, dat's why im offering dat bonus

it just seems weird to make the system to give those just below the boundary an advantage.

edit: chris, my system does not use prs top 5 means top 5 records from the pools. that is strictly based off who wins the most sets. if too many people enter for 1 pool, then splitting into 2 should be easy as well using prs without prs affecting much of the results.

TJ Infinat

Smash Ace
raeford or chapel hill depends on the time of year
*starts to explain his tournament*

So, my first match was against Lozr. . . .
I basically **** myself when I had to pick Peach, DK, or my most comfortable Mario against his fox. . . . twice.
So, I played Peach cause everyone's on my **** about picking a main: Got *****

Played Mario: Got *****

Asked Lozr out of the kindness of his heart to play my DK and actually took a stock off of him!!!!

So I'm in the loser's bracket, its all hunky dory. I accidentally played Ocean and beat him cause he forgot he had to play Crystal night first.

what was I gonna say? . . . .
I was pretty mad about how lozr got me, then I saw him play PP. . . .
Now I'm wondering how I got Lozr first match. I can see if you said cause everyone left *bill was angry so I wasnt gonna say anything* but pools would have def. helped.

Just sayin

this post is outdated.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
What if there ISN'T a lower seeded PR player in the pool? What if there's a lower seeded PR that can be beaten by the non-PR or a different lower seed that can be beaten by the non-PR. If this is the case that isn't allowed to happen by getting pool *****, then yeah, I want the non-PRs to have every opportunity to prove themselves when they are perfectly capable of making the PR because that's the entire point of having pools: seeding so that results are as accurate as possible. If that non-PR that is capable of beating a PR'd player doesn't play him, then we have faulty results. This leads to wrong PRs and unfair seeding for that capable non-PR'd player in the future.

@TJ: Pools may or may not have done you good there. It would depend on how well you did vs other non-PR'd/OOS players in your pool.

DJRome

Smash Hero
pp, i agree with that. but at this point, these biweeklies aren't going to require that we use 2 pools.

unless, i implement a non pr round, and then a pr round of pools. . . hmm. . .

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
*starts to explain his tournament*

So, my first match was against Lozr. . . .
I basically **** myself when I had to pick Peach, DK, or my most comfortable Mario against his fox. . . . twice.
So, I played Peach cause everyone's on my **** about picking a main: Got *****

Played Mario: Got *****

Asked Lozr out of the kindness of his heart to play my DK and actually took a stock off of him!!!!

So I'm in the loser's bracket, its all hunky dory. I accidentally played Ocean and beat him cause he forgot he had to play Crystal night first.

what was I gonna say? . . . .
I was pretty mad about how lozr got me, then I saw him play PP. . . .
Now I'm wondering how I got Lozr first match. I can see if you said cause everyone left *bill was angry so I wasnt gonna say anything* but pools would have def. helped.

Just sayin

this post is outdated.
a fun part of being unknown is that generally, you're assumed lowest seed until proven otherwise. i would say that that's how you ended up getting LoZR first match.

DJRome

Smash Hero
which makes total sense given the pr bias of making so that the most capable to get $ get $. they also lead to fairly accurate results.

for me, i'd say seed top 25 percentile and random the rest, but that's one of my crazy ideas.

edit: lol, i knew i'd get this response.

here's what im saying. u say give chances for non pr to beat pr. pools does EXACTLY that. everyone plays everyone else. the other idea would be to take the best of the non pr in a non pr only round and give them to the prs in another round of pools.

that way, the most capable of beating prs play the prs and then the 5 man bracket is formed. idk, that'd be in the case of when too many people are there for only 1 pool, which is the case you present that is flawed, which i mostly agree with.

DJRome

Smash Hero
case 1: regular turnout and we do pools with everyone in 1 pool. Top 5 come out as i say.

case 1 means that everyone has an equal shot. should be NOTHING to argue there.

case 2: extra +++ turnout. we do a round of pools for non prs. then the top x play another round of pools with prs.

round 1: non prs
round 2: best of non prs + prs

then 5 man bracket.

case 3: alternative to case 2 solution

do 2 pools with a proportionate amount of pr ranking in both pools and then take top x for a bracket.

case 4: alternative to case 3

do the same 2 pools but take the top x from both pools, do another round of pools and then 5 man bracket.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
ooooh so the assumption is that we have one pool, in which everyone plays...everyone. if we were to do that with all the non pr'd players, we could effectively take the top x players out of that pool and either use pr's+non pr pool results to make the final tourney bracket, or to just do another pool and get final seeds from there.

usually when i see the word "pools", i assume that...more than one "pool" is being formed. when i think one massive pool, i just think...round robin.

edit: now that i know that the plural word "pools" actually will just mean: we play everyone first and fairly rank them accordingly from ONE pool (attendance permitting), you make some sense.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I like the idea of the best of the non-PRs to play PRs(at least the lower seeded ones). That second pool idea seems appealing to me, and it definitely should to those who aren't ranked.

DJRome

Smash Hero
yeah, i apologize for the confusion of pools and round robin. i am tired.

lol pp u tryin to get out of playing matches son. if best of non prs play prs, u gon have to play too

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
it's all good. now i can like...study for my test at 9:30/go to sleep 2 hours later than i'm used to.

i love smash...apparently more than mythology...**** this test.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i doubt it lol

on a serious note, i think actually that the best would be to do the non pr and then the best of non pr vs pr.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i approve. it's a shame how much better i am at arguing than i am at smash.

bring it on, my fellow non pr'd players.

edit: although there is use to noobs playing pr people, it sucks to have their only experience to just get knocked out of tournament play by them. it's a recent feeling; i know. the only time i've ever played karn was during the biweekly last week.

double edit: oh **** i'm a smash journeyman. i'd still kind of rather be an apprentice though...it still don't matter.

Moophobia

Smash Champion
Yeah bring it on chris. I'm much better at *****ing about how bad I am than actually playing smash. Oh and I'm pretty good at games that don't matter at all. SHAME

Moophobia

Smash Champion
I'm a huge vag. If you look at your window you can see me, go ahead take a look

Edit: Nah dawg I will try to get all fancy and wave shine to usmash you and overgasm off the side

Double Edit: Peepee you could BLBLBLBLBL me from there.

lord karn

Smash Master
i approve. it's a shame how much better i am at arguing than i am at smash.

bring it on, my fellow non pr'd players.

edit: although there is use to noobs playing pr people, it sucks to have their only experience to just get knocked out of tournament play by them. it's a recent feeling; i know. the only time i've ever played karn was during the biweekly last week.

double edit: oh **** i'm a smash journeyman. i'd still kind of rather be an apprentice though...it still don't matter.
Hmmm, I thought that I played you at one of the duke biweeklies. I thought I was playing you and tj for a while. Perhaps my memory is faulty

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
well i'm such a good bad teammate with you moo, that every time you came off stage, i would do everything i could to up air/upb you back on to the stage. and we'd be playing singles. thats just how good i am.

edit: karn, you're probably right. i just remembered playing you in tournament at the biweekly and thinking "i've never played this guy..." and then i got shined and died and stuff. but i feel like at some point we got some friendlies in, i just don't remember when

Moophobia

Smash Champion
I'm tryin man just ate a mexican themed hot pocket. My heart feels like it's about to stop. If I stop showing up to tournaments call the police!

Edit: Karn I think I left my hat at your house. I can't even remember if I brought it or not. o.O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom