• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
tiers such as SS and S exist for self explanitory reasons.. there is also a reason why Cpt Failcon is on bottom too roflz..

but failcon is some fun **** to play :D

B!squick

Smash Master
Cap'n Falcon is only fun to play if you know how do that all those fancy combos. Personally, I'll just stick with Bowser's one combo. The only one required for victory!

B!squick

Smash Master
1st Fsmash hit --> 2nd Fsmah hit? :p
^AKA, the Gimpfish Combo!

Oh yeah, I was playing a whicked Wario the other day and at one point, only the first part of the combo colided with... something, and the rest of the combo didn't happen! We like, hit each other at the same time or something because Wario went flying and Bowser looked wasted. What's up with that? I thought it never missed. :urg:

On a side note, FSmash is even more disjointed than I thought when I started my kill percent tests. Sometimes the knockback was more horizontal than vertical. Sometimes more vertical. Sometimes half and half. And once the test dummy flew behind me! x_x

Speaking of Wario, on the grab releases, he started to get wise to my shinanigans and started DIing into me. What should have I done then? Just Fortress?

B!squick

Smash Master
It was hard to set up again exactly the same each time, but the positions of both Bowser and the test subject were about as "the same" as I could get them and each time I just set it up so they would eat the brunt of it, no tippers.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Personally I love fighting Dedede, I don't know what wrong with you guys.

A good second for Bowser is obviously MK, but for a more serious answer, Fox, if you're looking to counter D3.

Also, help me out Bowser boards:

Should I second Fox or Ganon?

You decide.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
of late, i've only been playing against cpu's on the wii (finally got my own one) since i have no one else to play..

i just play against lvl 7's because they're meant to be the closest to human lvl. but the passed day or two, these coms have been kicking my arse..

do they learn when you play against them, or am i just sucking donkey balls?

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
of late, i've only been playing against cpu's on the wii (finally got my own one) since i have no one else to play..

i just play against lvl 7's because they're meant to be the closest to human lvl. but the passed day or two, these coms have been kicking my arse..

They learn, but slowly.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
edge hogging frustrates me to the fullest...

i ****ing hate it
I thought that edge hogging wasn't too much of a problem for Bowser because of his ^B move normally outlasting your opponent's invincibility frames on the edge. Or are you saying this with the other characters you use?

B!squick

Smash Master
I thought that edge hogging wasn't too much of a problem for Bowser because of his ^B move normally outlasting your opponent's invincibility frames on the edge. Or are you saying this with the other characters you use?
The other day I was playing a wicked good Wario and I hit him off with the very last hit box of Fortress. He ended up not making it back to the stage after that. I wish I'd been able to save some of those matches, they were some great games.

Also, I'm thinking of making DeDeDe my secondary/other main/counter pick. If Wolf's recovery didn't have such a steep learning curve I'd use him more. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also.

Speaking of Wario, on the grab releases, he started to get wise to my shinanigans and started DIing into me. What should have I done then? Just Fortress?
?

the host

Smash Rookie
Is there any way to extend bowser hitbox for his down throw smash? (where his horn hit someone behind the guy being throw)

Hobobloke

Atemon Game

Sometimes it seems like they learn but i think its more like they have options on how to play. Pretend they have seven ways to play (we'll call them lines) if I play a certain way they will switch to a different line etc. ALthough it does seem like they learn (I swear a computer did a crouch taunt after killing me) that isn't really possible we don't have the technology to make computers learn they have to follow set algorithims. I won't add this quesion into the OP because we can't really give a definite answer, we'd just be guessing.

The Host: No the throw will only hit the person who has been grabbed (someone correct me if this is wrong)

Also did we come to a conclusion about best secondaries for Bowser? I remember we used to have a thread on it, I'll try and dig that up.

Jonas

Smash Champion
No the throw will only hit the person who has been grabbed (someone correct me if this is wrong)
I'm pretty sure his Uthrow hits others if they get too close. I also think his Dthrow does.
It might be useful against Ice Climbers if you, for some reason, try to grab them when they're together.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
The other day I was playing a wicked good Wario and I hit him off with the very last hit box of Fortress. He ended up not making it back to the stage after that. I wish I'd been able to save some of those matches, they were some great games.
I guess this shows that the Fortress is extremely hard to or near impossible to edge hog. I would've liked to have seen a replay for that match though. That battle sounded pretty intense plus I haven't really played a good Wario yet so IDK what a good Wario looks like in battle. I'd probably watch their vids, but I'm too lazy to look at them ATM. :p

Also, I'm thinking of making DeDeDe my secondary/other main/counter pick. If Wolf's recovery didn't have such a steep learning curve I'd use him more. Thoughts?
Who are you having trouble with in particular when you use Bowser? Maybe that'd help you come up with an answer. Also, besides Bowser, DDD and Wolf, do you use anyone else or just those 3 characters? I can probably help you with your decision if you're still unsure about who to choose.

B!squick

Smash Master
I guess this shows that the Fortress is extremely hard to or near impossible to edge hog. I would've liked to have seen a replay for that match though. That battle sounded pretty intense plus I haven't really played a good Wario yet so IDK what a good Wario looks like in battle. I'd probably watch their vids, but I'm too lazy to look at them ATM. :p
Yeah, I think we both thought I was dead, then suddenly... dink, and I had the ledge! I forgot what exactly happened after that, I just know he didn't make it back. He won most... or all of our matches though. He really seemed to know what he was doing. Using that Chomp special if I shield too early, using Waif(sp?) before it was fully charged at just right time for a surprise KO. And that hand clap UpAir? x_x

Who are you having trouble with in particular when you use Bowser? Maybe that'd help you come up with an answer. Also, besides Bowser, DDD and Wolf, do you use anyone else or just those 3 characters? I can probably help you with your decision if you're still unsure about who to choose.
Well, I play mostly doubles to best avoid items and only worrying about 2 other players seems better than being concerned about 3. I play online alot of you can't tell. Being Bowser, projectiles and lag in general is a major problem. I like DeDeDe because he's pretty well rounded. Great recovery, excellent throws not including the Down Throw chain grab, a pretty good projectile that acts as a barrier against other projectiles as well KOing in Sudden Death, great aerials, great ground game. His BAir ***** Sonic when I can land it, I've been seeing a lot of Sonic lately. Besides, his DTaunt and "crouch" are instant win.

Besides him and Wolf, I can play anyone reasonably well. If I do bad I usually character hop until I find one I can win with, lol. Yoshi and Jigs are usually the ones I try first if DeDeDe can't pull through.

B!squick

Smash Master
Also, I'm in the middle of formatting my KO percent chart. What moves should I have for grounded opponents? Here's what I have so far: UTilt, FTilt, DTilt, FSmash, DSmash, Fortress, Klaw, Bowser Bomb.

B!squick

Smash Master
USmash hits grounded opponents? I was thinking about separating the gounded moves and the aerials, but now I realise I meant grounded opponents and aerial ones. So I was just gonna leave USmash for air KOs.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Enough to KO you think? I've never even hit someone with anything other than the shell, lol.
It comes in handy some times.

Like when going for an usmash and the opponent air dodges to the ground, the 2nd hit lands and sends them a fair bit of distance.

It also works when going for a sliding usmash (forget what that's called at the moment :p) and the opponent air dodges/is on the ground. Though I wouldn't recommend it unless there in the air because if the aren't your just asking to get hit.

-:bowser:Bowser King

B!squick

Smash Master
Oh, you mean the second landing on the ground hit? I didn't think that any KO potential. :/ I have had that hit before, but most people are either too stupid to AD or are simply on a platform. And I think most people have enough sense not to dodge into Bowser though. :) But yeah, if you're using USmash on a grounded opponent, you should review your Bowser 101 I think... but they can AD into you... I'll see if it can KO first.

Also, I believe you are thinking of the DACUS bowser king.

Top Bottom