• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Koopa Questions: a Bowser Q&A Thread

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is okay in doubles, but only for his kill potential. He's terribad at racking up damage quickly, so that's what you want your partner to be good at (Sheik etc.). He's also very hard to use in a 2v1 situation. I suggest staying back and using hit and run until you can score a KO. (This is just speaking from personal experience.)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Foe caught in fire breath + any killing attack from your partner usually = a KO.

But yeah, Bowser is not a 2v1 survivor. He's too big of a target and lacks the speed to repel two foes at once, especially if they're also fast.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Ok.

I'm posting with a semi opinion, semi question.

Bowser can chain his throws together quite well (not an inescapable chain grab, more like tech chasing). This includes up throw, back throw, fthrow, and down throw; all of them. Their knockback sucks so that means options out of the throw.

You can also use pivot grabbing for mindgames and to continue the grabs (Bowser's pivot grab is too good).

Basically, this is what I call Bowser v2. I was bull****ting with Havokk on MSN the other day. I said, "I'm gonna find a use for Bowser's bad moves"

And so I did.

Bowser v2 consists of pseudo chaingrabs/down air, neutral air, boost cancelled grabs, pivot grabs, etc. It puts all of Bowser's lesser used moves to use. such as nair. Nair is godly in a full hop, as is dair. And I already mentioned the pivot grabs.

So, I postged this here to kidna get it out there. I'm trying to advance it as we speak, to make it really good, right now it's in the "meh" stage.

Good idea y/n answer plx

Jonas

Smash Champion
Dair is pretty good if you attack someone who happens to be shielding (of course it won't work on another Bowser or anyone else who has good OOS options).

I've been thinking of using Pivot Grab for grabbing people who are charging towards me (namely characters like Sonic, Jiggs, Yoshi (rolling attacks) or Meta Knight (tornado)). I know they can be grabbed regularly or with Side B, but mostly not without Bowser taking damage. The timing is also pretty hard.
(If some of you don't know this, Pivot Grab has longer range than a regular grab).

Player01

Smash Journeyman
i dont see how you can tech chase an up throw but i guess there could be some nice follow ups.

unfortunantly i never use pivot grabs. its either shield grabs or klawing.

never thought nair was a lesser used move. lol. its not THAT bad, its just not as good with reach. how about replacing dairs with nairs? since it seems a bit safer.

come to think of it i sorta have a question. when it comes to klawhopping it seems that every time i do it a few times i got shot out of the air or get aerial rushed. so basically how often should i use this and are there characters where i shouldnt even bother with it?

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Bowser's pivot grabs ****. They grab BEHIND him to an extent.

Nair is lesser used, because it sucks. Same for dair.

And up throw tech chase is highly possible; the only reason people use it; it's knockback is set and thus is plenty useful for techchasing.

Don't spam koopahopping. It's very predicatable, and if you are you will get punished, like you're experiencing. Use it once in a while to mix up your game, it is best used as a mindgame rather than an offensive approach.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
Bowser's pivot grabs ****. They grab BEHIND him to an extent.

Nair is lesser used, because it sucks. Same for dair.

And up throw tech chase is highly possible; the only reason people use it; it's knockback is set and thus is plenty useful for techchasing.

Don't spam koopahopping. It's very predicatable, and if you are you will get punished, like you're experiencing. Use it once in a while to mix up your game, it is best used as a mindgame rather than an offensive approach.
hmm i guess i'll have to try pivot grabbing with bowser. maybe his is better than other characters.

yeah i new nair sucked but it has its moments...sometimes.

i think i was thinking of something else when i first read it. lol

yeah i'll take that advice. im probably spamming it because i kinda picked up bowser not that long ago and i was trying to get used to it. my fingers started to hurt in training mode practicing klawhopping following attacks.:laugh:

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
I noticed you guys have a xat chat (http://xat.com/chat/room/48426129/). I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

Who is the owner by the way?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Enjoy your sticky.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
I feel this deserves some of mention.

And that, I mean side b "tech chasing", if you will.

Play around with it and you'll get what I mean.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
As in following the DI? Agreed, I often get 2 Klaws in a row from a read.
Yes, basically.

And to put this in the form of a question to fit the topic,

what all CAN we do out of the little jump after landing?

what are the best follow ups?

is there a character in which a second jump > side b after a side b is inescapable (at 0%)?

The side b is interesting and this furthers it even more.

B!squick

Smash Master
Can someone give me a list of Bowser techs and strategies? I want to make a thread about it and go into detail about each one, but so far I've only thought of this:

-Bowser's Shield and It's Awesomeness
-The Klaw and Infinite Jumping
-Grounded Fortress to Ledge Grab
-The Bowser Bomb Dos and Don'ts
-How to Recover
-How to Keep Them From Recovering

What else?

EDIT: Ah ha, just thought of another one: Approach Options
EDIT2: Still more: The Ledge and Its Many Uses

B!squick

Smash Master
Is everyone really okay with me making that topic I suggested, or did I cover everything that can be covered in my post... or was it just ignored? x_x

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
recently picking up bowser and reading about

i've learned that my playstyle goes against what everyone would recommend.
it's in my nature to be aggressive, i cant sit and wait >_<

what would you guys think?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Yes, basically.

And to put this in the form of a question to fit the topic,

what all CAN we do out of the little jump after landing?

what are the best follow ups?

is there a character in which a second jump > side b after a side b is inescapable (at 0%)?

The side b is interesting and this furthers it even more.
Can someone test this? I'm unable to at the moment.

Bnadit Kieth said:
recently picking up bowser and reading about

i've learned that my playstyle goes against what everyone would recommend.
it's in my nature to be aggressive, i cant sit and wait >_<

what would you guys think?
Nobody can tell you how to play but it is recommended he is played defensively because of his amazing defensive game. If you want to play aggressively thats your choice but it will make it more difficult for you.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
What are bowser's good and bad stages? Also, reasons why would be helpful if it doesn't bother anyone too much. Thanks!

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
What are bowser's good and bad stages? Also, reasons why would be helpful if it doesn't bother anyone too much. Thanks!
Good:

Smashville - Ledge is impossible to miss, small blastzones good for early kos, moving platform =sex for koopahopping.

Battlefield - Utilt/Usmash ***** on platforms, platform camping, etc.

Norfair - Lots of ledges, platforms, etc. Good for ****.

Bad:

Yoshi's Island - Koopahopping is pretty much null here.

Japes - Reasons are pretty obvious.

FD - Not BAD, but bad vs. campers like Falco, etc. I generally take Snake here if I can't go Smashville.

Basically the gist of it.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Good:

Smashville - Ledge is impossible to miss, small blastzones good for early kos, moving platform =sex for koopahopping.

Battlefield - Utilt/Usmash ***** on platforms, platform camping, etc.

Norfair - Lots of ledges, platforms, etc. Good for ****.

Bad:

Yoshi's Island - Koopahopping is pretty much null here.

Japes - Reasons are pretty obvious.

FD - Not BAD, but bad vs. campers like Falco, etc. I generally take Snake here if I can't go Smashville.

Basically the gist of it.
Oh cool, this should help. Are there any others I should keep an eye out for or does Bowser do fairly well on the rest of the stages + Depends on what character my opponent chooses?

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
The other stages are really character dependent, in my opinion; the only one that I would think is completely TERRIBLE would be Rainbow Cruise.

But yeah, the other stages are ok with nothing special about them.

B!squick

Smash Master
Can someone give me a list of Bowser techs and strategies? I want to make a thread about it and go into detail about each one, but so far I've only thought of this:

-Bowser's Shield and It's Awesomeness
-The Klaw and Infinite Jumping
-Grounded Fortress to Ledge Grab
-The Bowser Bomb Dos and Don'ts
-How to Recover
-How to Keep Them From Recovering

What else?

EDIT: Ah ha, just thought of another one: Approach Options
EDIT2: Still more: The Ledge and Its Many Uses
Is everyone really okay with me making that topic I suggested, or did I cover everything that can be covered in my post... or was it just ignored? x_x
Guys, you kinda defeat the purpose of a question and answer thread by not answering questions... Just wanted to point that out for everyone...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Oh wait, I just stumbled into a few CP guides. According to other people, they think that Brinstar is another bad Bowser stage and that Castle Siege is another good Bowser stage. Any reasons why they are so? Also, did you mean that Yoshi's Island Melee was a bad Bowser stage or the Brawl version?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I wouldn't know about Brinstar I never play on it. Castle Seige isn't a bad stage for bowser You can can survive bowsercides during stage changes, and on the second stage you can grab release people off the side for an easy ko.

And he meant Yoshi's island brawl.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I have a quick question. I've been working on Bowser's Up B OoS, and it works quite well in surprising/connecting with opponents, but I find that it pops them up so little (at low percents, of course) that they can usually smack me with an aerial while I'm in the ending frames of the move. Maybe I'm not moving away quickly enough or something, but I feel like I'm set up for a free hit most of the time when hit the UpB OoS, which sucks. What can I do to change this?

Top Bottom