• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I found some new discoveries with :diddy: today by accident that no one knows about lol. I won't be revealing them yet, but stay tuned for any matches that I may be on stream for ;). It involves items of course lmao.

:018:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Guru thats not even funny

now I'm going to be trying random inputs just in hope you're not joking

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
Is there a minimum percentage where that becomes possible? Or can it be done from 0%?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Dair's hitboxes are pretty large on Diddy's body, I think it just percent depending and character dependent.

Side-b slap to Dair is my favorite thing to do to floaties. They don't expect it so they miss the tech often, which is how you get the falling nair.

Up-throw >jump forward footstool is a thing on falco at 0-5%. its bad but its a thing.

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
I actually tried using more dair out of side-B (and just in general) while playing on Netplay tonight, I was extremely pleased with the results. I think it's a really good option to make floatier characters easier to rack up damage on, and I noticed that I was comboing midweight characters much harder at earlier percents.

In an unrelated note, I spent some time tonight getting my teeth kicked in by Kirby. How do you guys deal with his edge stall/kirbycide shenanigans? It seemed like if I ever got behind in stocks he just slowly worked me to the edge and then suicided or gimped me there.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I actually tried using more dair out of side-B (and just in general) while playing on Netplay tonight, I was extremely pleased with the results. I think it's a really good option to make floatier characters easier to rack up damage on, and I noticed that I was comboing midweight characters much harder at earlier percents.

In an unrelated note, I spent some time tonight getting my teeth kicked in by Kirby. How do you guys deal with his edge stall/kirbycide shenanigans? It seemed like if I ever got behind in stocks he just slowly worked me to the edge and then suicided or gimped me there.
Yeah side-b >dair rocks on like samus/zelda when you wouldn't kill with fair anyway.

just don't approach Kirby on the ledge, and if he edge stalls shoot popgun or full-hop Banana toss so it go towards the ledge (be careful of kirby taking it though). If you really want to be ballsy you can jump over him with banana in hand and AGT stuff, or just try to grab the ledge before him. Don't be like chillen and only go for dairs lol

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
So this is kind of silly, but it seems like you can use up B as a counter to projectiles.

Say Falco shoots a laser, instead of shielding, Diddy can just press and hold up b (even a frame before the hit) and will instantly take the hit and release a barrel.

The problem is that you eat 2% and the barrel trajectory is random AFAIK. It goes in a good direction maybe one in three times. If Falco is close you have a risk of the barrel going the wrong way and Falco punishing you. On the flip side, sometimes the barrel will hit him in the face as he chases the laser. If Falco is far away you can chase the barrel.

didds

Smash Lord
I've been messing with the rocket pack a lot lately as a combo finisher and even to chase floaty, airborne opponents. The hitbox is absurd. It's not bad for edge guarding either.

Diddy is fun.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I was reading through Reflex's footstoool thread again and he said that most characters can airdodge down > smash if the smash has a hitox out like 4-6 frames or so, depending on the height of the opponent. I don't know If Didy's side-b numbers are identical to that of a footstool (18-20 frames of advantage) but If they are, side-b jump >dsmash should work. I'm going to try to test it tonight, was wondering if anyone has tried yet.

edit: upsmash and dsmash have 5 and 6 frames of start up respectively, so depending on the side you air dodge to they should both work or at least be a big frame trap. The problem is that this requires really tight airdodge after the jump, and probably only works well on short characters who are hard to side-b in the first place.

After my classes tonight I'll hit the lab again.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Okay guys, I went to my second tournament. Big regional, Montana and central Washington and Idaho attended, 50+ players, this time Chip was there. If you don't know who Chip is, he's amazing, and Eastern Washington's best kept secret, because he never travels outside of Washington and rarely even goes as far as the west side, so no one hears about him. He beat Bladewise in January and I don't believe he's lost to anyone in Melee in this region except SilentWolf and Bladewise in the last year as far as I know.

It was Chip's first time playing PM, but he won the tournament anyway. I lost two sets to take 5th, one to Jamnt0ast's Mario (who took 2nd), which was a respectable loss (puts me 1-1 with Jamn) and one to Artifice's Peach.

The set against the Peach makes me cringe when I watch it. I repeatedly fail to punish shielded smashes and get punished for the attempt and generally show that I have no idea what I'm doing there.

I'd really appreciate some critiques. Here are all the sets I recorded against ranked Melee players.

vs Kamaji (Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJBw_RkWi4

vs Jamnt0ast (Mario)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzq6wtYOVvA

vs Artifice (Peach)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w0vf2SLVeI

Bonus:
Vs Mr. Dr. Jacob (Kirby/TLink) from Idaho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Oi_lZS1NE

I could really use some refinement vs Mario and a huge playstyle overhaul on Peach.

Thanks much! (I will also post in video thread.)

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Diddies taking over. I just got 2nd at a Wavedash Wednesday #bananapocalypse #embraceKongunism #Kongrades

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
So I finally got the chance to catch up on this week's Xanadu matches, I really liked how Boss was using the nair to cover Lucas' recovery. The Seagull Joe and Boss Diddy ditto was really fun to watch too, I like how Diddy can have a lot of different playstyles and move preferences, it really keeps the character fresh.

@ DLA DLA have I seen you on Dolphin Netplay, or is that an imposter?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
They were really hype/close matches though, at least loser finals was.

Its so stupid how much Diddy hate there is. Like The Xanadu stream chat is almost entirely "More Diddy HYP- ResidentSleeper" and diddy nerf screams.
You guys should keep tearing up MDVA , force people to have item games and learn how to edge guard.

I won't be tearing up AZ anytime soon >.> especially if I only practice Melee and expect to do well in PM.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I really hope I'm there, I'm co-TOing it haha. I don't think I'll be entering any brackets but I'll have my notebook with me for leasons anyway.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
What time does that tourney start? I might be able to make singles if singles starts late. I fly back in pretty early that Saturday morning.

Why you only practice melee now softy?

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Singles should start around 5, theres a schedule on the SB page and the FB page.

I haven't had time to play at all these last few weeks, end of the semester. The only time smashing have been at the weeklies which are predominantly melee. I only spend time on smashboards because its more interesting than lectures.

Top Bottom