• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Knitting a Yoshi Chart - MU Portal

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Welcome to Smashboards! If you're not already familiar with the rules, you should check them out here: http://smashboards.com/help/terms

The short of it is: Be nice, don't spam, don't double post, be careful with profanity, and don't advertise.

I fixed up some of the coding in your posts for readability and merged your double posts together. In the future, don't double post (posting two messages one right after the other without anyone posting in between). If you have a second thought, just use the edit button (it's at the bottom of all posts you make) to add more to what's already there. For quoting what someone said, just hit the reply button (located at the bottom of the post) and it'll already be formatted for you in the text box.

As for this thread, this is our match up discussion thread. Match Up charts are nice and all, but I'd like to see some reasoning if there are things that are disagreed with, guys. Lists are not very helpful. Discussion is helpful.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Reminder, the patch is in 8 days which is why I've been quiet on the current MU discussions.
So discussion on Diddy Sheik and whoever else gets buffed/nerfed we might go back to arguing about again if people want or if they actually participate.

Also gonna add Mewtwo and Lucas's head on the MU chart eventually. Does Lucas even have an icon on smashboards yet?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Howdy! Doggy boards are discussing Yoshi at the moment, some input would be very nice from any Yoshi mains!

Click da cute Yoshis to go to our thread!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Those other colors aren't real, right?
anyways, as much as I'd like to possibly help, patch is in 8 days and I wanna hold off discussions for honestly every single character. Especially if anyone involves Yoshi.

If you want a general idea tho, Check the Villager vs Yoshi MU discussion in the OP and it'll be a bit similar to Yoshi VS DH.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I have always wonderd why Rosalina, Diddy, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and a few others have been Bad Matchups to Yoshi. I wouldnt mind some examples but dosnt mean I wont explain why there not bad MUs.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I have always wonderd why Rosalina, Diddy, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and a few others have been Bad Matchups to Yoshi. I wouldnt mind some examples but dosnt mean I wont explain why there not bad MUs.
Merged with our centralized MU thread.

Also, it might help for you to give your explanation first. You can read around our MU threads to see why we think these MUs are bad. Personally, I only think Diddy and Sheik are bad, and possibly Sonic (I'm giving the public some benefit of the doubt here, despite my personal thoughts on the MU). Nobody else is really bad, in my opinion.

For reference here are the MU threads in question.

Sheik: http://smashboards.com/threads/mu-discussion-sheik.374421/
Diddy: http://smashboards.com/threads/match-up-discussion-diddy-kong.391471/

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Next week we can start rediscussing MU's. Or maybe next month since some of us prolly won't have tournaments until a week or two later before we can gauge how the Sheik and Diddy MU is now. Frankly though with the little changes Sheik got, it's prolly still a -2 for us, specially since bouncing fish and vanish kill us earlier now.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Next week we can start rediscussing MU's. Or maybe next month since some of us prolly won't have tournaments until a week or two later before we can gauge how the Sheik and Diddy MU is now. Frankly though with the little changes Sheik got, it's prolly still a -2 for us, specially since bouncing fish and vanish kill us earlier now.
Sadly we can break diddys hoohaa with up air and nair.... sheik kills a bit earlier but it shouldnt be that much of a problem from before. I love to discuss MUs anyways even though people disagree at first haha.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'll get onto all of this once it's Sunday or Monday, currently at friends house running off 2-4 hours sleep in a 60 something degree house with no blanket.
Dying. Send help.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Updated thread cleaning a few things up, ded still so it's a lazy update just including mewtwo head and cleaning up the threads that we made and ones that other character boards have made.
I say "lazy" cause I'm too tired to make 50 tabs and see if anybody made a yoshi discussion thread on their board or talked about yoshi in the past 2-4 pages of their own MU discussion thread right now.

I'll subject myself to torture later during the week, last important thread to update is now the metagame thread. Diddy/Sheik discussions open again once you guys are done with mewtwo I guess.

HoS_Beast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xillians
Updated thread cleaning a few things up, ded still so it's a lazy update just including mewtwo head and cleaning up the threads that we made and ones that other character boards have made.
I say "lazy" cause I'm too tired to make 50 tabs and see if anybody made a yoshi discussion thread on their board or talked about yoshi in the past 2-4 pages of their own MU discussion thread right now.

I'll subject myself to torture later during the week, last important thread to update is now the metagame thread. Diddy/Sheik discussions open again once you guys are done with mewtwo I guess.
Mew two will probably take a bit of time, we have some untested theories that need to be tested so we can see if they are confirmed or not. We just busted one theory so we are getting there.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
It's really early and I have only limited experience with non-terrible Mewtwos, but it is safe to call that matchup a +2 or even +3 for us? Yoshi can punish Mewtwo very easily and kill very early (and he's easier to actually hit than other featherweights due to his size), and his size combined with floatiness makes him combo food.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I do not think many yoshi players have played against GnW, and sorry for being lazy but I doubt they haven't done a MU thread for Yoshi either on their boards.

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Just curious, I know the CF boards just discussed the Yoshi matchup, and there are definitely some things to pull from that thread, but I have really been struggling with it at the last few tournaments I've gone to as CF players are all over my local scene and the same CF player has kept me out of the top 3 at my two most recent tourneys, so I was wondering if we could discuss that one next.

Or if anyone just has some standard advice on it I'd appreciate it. I handle the dime a dozen aggro falcons fine, but the more patient ones give me trouble, and the thread on the CF boards kind of made me aware that maybe I need to play more patiently, especially in the CF matchup. But I'm getting a little lost on a more detailed plan of attack is.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
While it's not the best option, any characters that're rush down it's prolly good to try neutral B attempts.

Also fer real I'll work on this tonight, and by that it's simply just going to all 52 boards and looking fer yoshi discussion if any and update the first post lol.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Double post cuz important and I can.

Finished going through the 52 boredz and updated stuff. Some places discussing Yoshi right now (like peach) and some discussed Yoshi last month since the last big update I did in like the end of March I think, so added some of those like ROB Wario etc. or ones that both sides agreed too like charizard and Falcon.

So here's peach's. http://smashboards.com/threads/peach-match-up-thread-week-of-yoshi.373319/page-7

I'll say it again too, sheik/Diddy MU stuff reopened the past month. Been a good while so I'm sure some of us played a bunch of those two characters to have a different opinion?
Only change for me being Sheik -1 maybe instead of -2, but yeah. Discuss n such in the respective threads, if we ever finish those two + mewtwo (since that has a buttload of posts now) we can move on too two others.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I think Yoshi has an advantagous matchup aganist Jigglypuff. Since she's an air character, Yoshi's up special makes it hard for Jigglypuff. Probably around 60:40, in Yoshi's favor, Imo

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Yeah, we beat Jiggs pretty good. However I'd still be careful around her. She hits likes a truck and her aerials are just as powerful as our and I'm pretty sure her d-air is a wonderful drill. She's like a slower, stronger, lighter Kirby. We can kill her insanely quick, but she can easily wall us and carry us offstage with f-airs and b-airs. Try not to trade with her too much in the air. I must say this though, BEWARE THE REST! Once we hit 53% it's an instant kill. We have plenty of laggy moves that she can capitalize on so be on your toes. Her Pound also does a lot of shield damage, be wary of that too. Basically just stay grounded and be safe, try to get under her and smack her with an up smash or up aerial, she'll die at 90%. If she tries to recover low, I find it hilarious to d-air her, miss the launching hit and footstool her.

Y

YoshiStar5000

What do you guys think of the Yoshi vs Sonic matchup? I feel like it's in Sonic's favour because he can rush down and get past Yoshi's wall of attacks.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
I'd say its even,(possible in our favor now with the patch.) Egg Roll stops the Spindash and as long as you are patient, Soniic can't overwhelm you. We kill him faster than he can kill us and we have better endurance. Sonic doesn't have any good landing options after an up special (besides his n-air and an autocanceled d-air) and he can't kill with his bthrow anymore. The only way he's killing us is with an up-smash, side smash or b-air and ALL are punishable and telegraphed. BEWARE OF THE UP-SMASH though, IT KILLS AT 80%!

Last edited:
Y

YoshiStar5000

Thanks m8. Bthrow can still kill though with rage... Even if you DI

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Ur welcome. I know that. What I meant was he won't be killing us at 110% with it anymore. Now its more like 150%

Y

YoshiStar5000

Yeah... It still kills lighter characters apparently at like 100...

Pajon

Smash Rookie
NNID
thepajon
Yoshi v Sonic is slightly in yoshi's favor. Would rate it a 55:45
The biggest thing against sonic is being patient, which goes for any character facing him.
Also Nair is your best move in this matchup

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Okay enlighten me as to why this match-up is not slightly in our favor? Because I'm honestly curious
Sonic can capitalize punishments and can get away scot-free with relative ease. He can kill more quickly than Yoshi ever will. A great sonic will keep you chasing after him while he just weaves in and out to get hits in. He's easily one of yoshi's worser matchups.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Worser isn't a word lol
Because Sonic is fast and a 20+% projectile that ignores the neutral that's either constantly in your face or waits for somebody to throw a projectile themselves if it's a campy sonic on the opposite side of the stage charging downB as they go towards us in less than a second and deals his massive amount of damage rack up.

Also, no bthrow for easy kills or not, he still has a million kill moves even if he needs to land em raw. He has the speed to land them pretty much anytime compared to us at least when we're rushing people down and tossing out moves everywhere.

I don't know what Sonic mains you're facing, but please don't be a yoheking.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Worser isn't a word lol
Because Sonic is fast and a 20+% projectile that ignores the neutral that's either constantly in your face or waits for somebody to throw a projectile themselves if it's a campy sonic on the opposite side of the stage charging downB as they go towards us in less than a second and deals his massive amount of damage rack up.

Also, no bthrow for easy kills or not, he still has a million kill moves even if he needs to land em raw. He has the speed to land them pretty much anytime compared to us at least when we're rushing people down and tossing out moves everywhere.

I don't know what Sonic mains you're facing, but please don't be a yoheking.
Don't be a yoheking? What's that supposed to mean? I like to be optimistic. What's wrong with optimism? Yes Sonic is immensely annoying but if we r patient and get him in the air he can't do much. We have a command grab so grab him outta his landings or when he dashes up to us. Egg Roll into his stupid Spindash. The only kill moves Blue Blur has is f smash, up smash and b-air......and homing attack at about 160%. He's no better at killing than we are. Actually I'd say he's worse at killing than we are. He's good at RACKING it up, but he's gotta struggle almost as much as us to land that sweet killblow.

(Offtopic-Yoshi is like the epitome of happiness. :) So why is everyone so pessimistic and negative about him?)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno about anyone else, but I'm fortunate (or unfortunate?) enough to have the best characters of Fox sonic mewtwo etc. in the world in my state. So facing an actual good sonic + other randoms that use Sonic, I can comfortably say this MU is prolly a -1 for us.
-2 if it's a better player playing sonic vs a bad Yoshi main.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Does anyone know how in the heck you would fight an Olimar/Alph? XD There's like one in a hundred chance of fighting him but its so.....weird to fight him.

Top Bottom